Ep. 031 - Destiny Calls

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 031 - Destiny Calls

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 031 - "Destiny Calls"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 151 min., 7 sec. (2:31:07) - 69.1 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: Austin (2nd Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:14:27

02. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:14:27 - 0:16:09

03. 1st Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season Two: Episodes 7-9 Reviews"
Runtime: 0:16:09 - 0:37:38

04. Preview: Next Time on Flip the Script! - "Between a Rock and a Hard Place"
Runtime: 0:37:38 - 0:38:31

05. 2nd Segment "Gundam Round-Up!: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny"
Runtime: 0:38:31 - 1:55:52

06. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! - "Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079"
Runtime: 1:55:52 - 1:57:47

07. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:57:47 - 1:58:23

08. 3rd Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season Two: Episodes 10-12 Reviews"
Runtime: 1:58:23 - 2:24:59

09. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Spike VGA Awards: Best RPG?"
Runtime: 2:24:59 - 2:26:50

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:26:50 - 2:31:07

(Overview pending...)

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - MegaConvention.com - Anime Sushi - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
speedstriker

Soul Bro delivers!

Thanks for the new episode! I can't wait to listen to it!
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
anubis

uh soulbro I think you got the preview messed up. You said it was for destiny, its for igloo.
Sume Gai

good episode. You were not very merciful with Destiny but I have to agree with what you said. It started out looking really good but stumbled and fell flat on it's face due to horrendous writing and management.

and Chris in 00 you have to add GN in front of everything; GN Myspace, GN twitter, GN Hotpockets, etc. :lol:
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
speedstriker

Nice episode guys! I enjoyed it very much.

The whole Destiny segment is like a huge rage train and I liked every last bit of the scenery. By saying that you don't hate it at the end made me laugh since throughout the whole thing, you've been trying to bash it to shreds.
Chris
Administrator

speedstriker wrote:Nice episode guys! I enjoyed it very much.

The whole Destiny segment is like a huge rage train and I liked every last bit of the scenery. By saying that you don't hate it at the end made me laugh since throughout the whole thing, you've been trying to bash it to shreds.
Just because we point out that something has a massive number of flaws doesn't mean we hate it. It's not like DESTINY is a total failure that has no merit whatsoever.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
speedstriker

Chris wrote:
speedstriker wrote:Nice episode guys! I enjoyed it very much.

Just because we point out that something has a massive number of flaws doesn't mean we hate it. It's not like DESTINY is a total failure that has no merit whatsoever.
The thing about DESTINY that I noticed is that there's so many good elements in there that could've been used in a much better way than how it was used in the show. So I guess I'm in coerce with you guys on this one. I would say that I definitely hate the fact that it has so many wasted opportunities and so much wasted potential. Take the second coming of Jesus Yamato for example. They could have even ketp his pretentious perfection and used that to develop Shinn. Instead of having this fan made perfect Kira take over the show, they could've just as easily shown just how flawed and dangerous this kind of false perfection really is by having Shinn confronting Kira on the ideological issue after mid season if Shinn got the character development that he was robbed of. Instead, they made Shinn a dumb, ragin asshole by the end of the show.

Also related, Saviour.... RIP you one beautiful machine....
Genocide

speedstriker wrote:By saying that you don't hate it at the end made me laugh since throughout the whole thing, you've been trying to bash it to shreds.
When it comes to GSD, there's an invisible line between bashing and honesty.
speedstriker

Genocide wrote:
speedstriker wrote:By saying that you don't hate it at the end made me laugh since throughout the whole thing, you've been trying to bash it to shreds.
When it comes to GSD, there's an invisible line between bashing and honesty.
I'll be frank, but I loled. Truer words could not have been said...
The Fowl Sorcerous

So much hatorade was chugged the episode. Very much enjoyed the 00 reviews.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Vent Noir

Okay, one more complaint about Shin that's been made (you mean there was a complaint concerning Destiny that didn't get mentioned?): He's supposed to be an angry teenager... and despite that, he's blindly obedient to Talia/Durandal/whoever's in charge, and doesn't seem capable of thinking for himself.

In any case, my own Japanese isn't good enough to say, but people have said that Super Robot Wars Z at least somewhat manages to "redeem" Destiny (at the very least, there's no flashback scenes and Kira isn't invincible). From what people have said, the game making Shin and Camille best friends helps Shin's likeability a lot.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
CanadaMan

Great timing on the release of 31! I get a bit of new Gundamn before I move.

And even better timed is the coinciding with 00 S2 25. I do look forward to all of your final thoughts, especially with the end text and the 30th Anniversary being this year.

Yes, Destiny felt like bad fanfiction as it progressed, and there were rumors that Morosawa couldn't write a script on time as the show progressed, leading to many threads being dropped or bungled and the resurgence of the Happy Friends Ships Alliance. I wonder if any of that was based even partly in truth?
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Wingnut

The explanation I have stood by for why Cagalli went dumb in Destiny compared to how she was in Seed (at least in universe) is it's all because of that hit she took to the noggin in episode 1 after being thrown around in the ZAKU cockpit. Brain damage that was totally not her fault.
This kids, is why you always buckle up for safety.

As for Neo being a clone, it's a good idea. Even the TV Tropers thought of that one so it would be received well enough by the audience.
Seed Destiny's Wild Mass Guessing page wrote:Mu La Flaga did die at Jachin Due.
Neo Roanoke is another, more successful clone of Al Da Flaga, or of Mu himself, and his memories of being Mu are the result of some kind of previously-repressed psychic Newtype resonance between himself and Mu.
They also have an interesting theory on that same page that ties into what Vent Noir posted about Super Robot Wars Z.
The Super Robot Wars version of Destiny is the canon one. The anime was propaganda created by Kira to make him look better.
Due to so many people saying "What The Hell Hero" over the course of the Second Bloody Valentine War, and the realization that he had been in the wrong while Shinn had been in the right, Kira commissioned an anime retelling of the war, subjecting Shinn to Flanderization and propelling Kira to godhood.
On Lacus being killed by that commando squad, it might have worked. The unit would still be wiped out by Kira, but Lacus would take a bullet and die, thus giving Kira, Murrue and Andy reason to do what they did beyond just their hunches and what not. Although it may be somewhat morbid, the Archangel crew would instead of having the real Lacus show up, they would wheel out her corpse and deliver it to the Minerva to show them what Durandal is really capable of and still rally their late stage allies to their cause.
Where this leaves Meer I don't know, but it could give her death more meaning if they still killed her off anyway.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
speedstriker

Wingnut wrote:The explanation I have stood by for why Cagalli went dumb in Destiny compared to how she was in Seed (at least in universe) is it's all because of that hit she took to the noggin in episode 1 after being thrown around in the ZAKU cockpit. Brain damage that was totally not her fault.
This kids, is why you always buckle up for safety.
...... XD

This is probably the lamest but also the most plausible excuse I've ever heard! But that still doesn't give the staff any excuse for butchering such a well developed relationship though. Her and Athrun's relationship was the only one that I really cared about in SEED, but they not only killed that in Destiny but also chopped up the corpses (Athrun and Meer shenanigan) and proceed to immolate it (Meyrin). The whole thing couldn't have been handled any worse than it had been...
Destiny_Gundam

Congrats Neo. You've just joined the ranks of all those ass holes who made fun of me in high school. I hope you're proud of yourself 8)

And people wonder why I have a complex about my voice.

Gundam SEED Destiny: I liked it. If anyone is surprised by this... I really don't know what to say. Oh yes there are flaws up the wazzu, but don't blame the child for being screwed up. Blame the parents. Fukuda and Morisawa, but mostly Morisawa, are who I blame for the crappiness.

For why this is so, yes, I admit that I only base this on rumours, but everything does make sense (at least in my head). Morisawa's favourite character was stated to be Athrun. This much is obvious seeing how much focus he gets. An even bigger indication of this, of course, is how Athrun has his own damn harem! I mean, damn, just look! If that's not blatant favouritism, I don't know what is.

I'm sure we've all heard the rumours of Morisawa getting into a fight with Cagalli's VA. I also believe this has some basis in truth. It explains why Cagalli got so horribly shafted in the series, and she eventually got written out almost completely (there was a noticable drop in the amount of lines she had). And of course since Athrun is Morisawa's favourite, she can't have him with Cagalli anymore, so they break up and he goes off with Meyrin. This is a real shame because Cagalli was my favourite character in SEED.

There is a similar rumour about Morisawa and Shinn's VA. This also explains why Shinn got shafted, too. Sure, Sunrise wanted Kira to be more prevalent, but they didn't need to ruin Shinn to do that. At least Shinn got off better than Cagalli, though. I always liked Shinn. He's just so relatable. We were all moody teenagers at some point. Shinn doesn't have that big a problem with authority that some think. He follows orders and he does respect his superiors for the most part. He didn't like Athrun, cuz here was this coward of a traitor, but he suddenly shows up, forgiven of all his sins, and is suddenly Shinn's superior. I don't think any of us would not get pissed about that. He was obstanant regarding the whole thing with Stellar because he felt he did the right thing.

I'm sure none of this surprises anyone either, but I completely disagree with you guys about the Destiny Gundam. It's my favourite Gundam of all time (followed by the F91). When I first saw the design, I really liked the head. In regards to the armament, it's really balanced. It's got everything you need: a big ass sword for close range, a big ass cannon for long range. Then you also had a standard beam rifle, boomerangs that turned into beam sabers, and palm cannons that can be used as a trump card. It can fight in any sort of range. Of course, with its stylish wings of light, it's fast enough that it can get into close range and hack an enemy to bits anyways. I love high speed suits, and I love after images even more.

I proudly display my HG model kit on my shelf (along with my MG F91).

I really liked Meer. I also found her identity crisis to be relatable. We'd all like to be something we're not. I found her superior to Lacus as a character, where as Meer was actually human, and Lacus was the Virgin Mary Sue.

Also, the music was awesome, just like SEED's. The only volume of Destiny I own is volume 8. It has the ep with Stella using the Destroy. That was when the thing was an absolute beast that gave even Kira a run for his money. Poor thing turned into cheap fodder by the end.

Volume 8 also has the greatest ep of the series: ep 34. Impulse VS Freedom was an awesome fight and Shinn showed off what a great pilot he really is before Morisawa made him incompotent. It was also nice seeing Kira get his ass handed to him.

Anyways, I agree on the love-to-hate standpoint. There's lots of stuff to make fun of it for, but I enjoyed it regardless. It was a show I watched with a community of friends, and we had lots of fun discussing it. We all chose sides, between the Kira worshippers and the ZAFT supporters. Good fun.

It took 3 tries, but they eventually got the ending right. The FLAWLESS VICTORY end of the TV show was total BS. I think the SEs actually did a good job as a whole.

So yeah, 15 words or less: Love Destiny, lots of flaws, blame Morisawa.

If the woman had some writer's integrity, it would have turned out a lot better.
Vent Noir wrote:In any case, my own Japanese isn't good enough to say, but people have said that Super Robot Wars Z at least somewhat manages to "redeem" Destiny (at the very least, there's no flashback scenes and Kira isn't invincible). From what people have said, the game making Shin and Camille best friends helps Shin's likeability a lot.
They also made him become friends with one fine pair of legs.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kavik Ryx

Not even done with the episode, but finished the DESTINY segment. And for not being my least favorite Gundam, even with G Savior omitted, it deserves flak for each and every one of those grievances. I watched it already reading Chris's review for episode 50, but was intent on liking it even so. The first quarter was a pure roller coaster, and I didn't have a problem with it...then episode 16 featured a five minute launch sequence, and I couldn't get over it. What's so weird is that there were countless moments that even the most amateur writer, or a level headed fan could figure out how it could turn out in a logical and compelling way. And then things happen that make no sense in terms of good storytelling.

In less than 15 words

"Just try to like it. Beforehand, sorry."

And Destiny Gundam, I feel for your voice complex.
ZeroBusterXX

That DESTINY review was one of the funniest things I uave heard in a while. I am not a fan of DESTINY. My friend wanted to get into Gundam, he went to FYE to get some DVDs and asked if SEED DESTINY was any good, because they have a boatload of DVDs of it there (gee I wonder why). I told him no, get the original Gundam movies instead.

The mechanical designs are why I favor 00 over DESTINY any day of the week. DESTINY was the prime example of what happens when you let Okawara design everything. I liked some designs. I liked the Destiny itself, and the Murasame.

I loved the 6th Day reference by the way. Oh, and wooh! My news made it in again!
Vent Noir

One theory I can remember being brought up quite early on in Destiny was that Shin was blaming the wrong person all along for the death of his family - that Kira was always being careful to fire upwards or at other angles where there wasn't a risk of hurting civilians, whereas Calamity was the one recklessly shooting anywhere and everywhere, and thus far more likely to accidentally hit someone.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
AceWhatever

I really liked the Destiny segment. Especially with the ideas of how certain events should have happened. I wish these ideas were tossed around way back in an old episode where you discussed how to salvage CE which ended up being pretty bare-boned.

There was a nice dissection of FINAL PLUS by the crew of Anime World Order on their mecha-themed episode. According to them it destroyed any chance of Shinn coming back as a full-on antagonist in the vaporware movie (if you're gonna mirror the Palpatine/Anakin relation might as well go all the way).

Know which characters I really feel sorry for? The ZAFT audiovisual department staff who had to painstakingly remove all traces of Freedom from every frame of the Berlin footage.

I have to agree with Chris about how the MG redesign (aka making things longer and slimmer) really did wonders for the Destiny. It's a shame that neither Fed vs ZAFT or Gundam Musou 2 let me use the boomerang sabers.
Vent Noir wrote:In any case, my own Japanese isn't good enough to say, but people have said that Super Robot Wars Z at least somewhat manages to "redeem" Destiny (at the very least, there's no flashback scenes and Kira isn't invincible). From what people have said, the game making Shin and Camille best friends helps Shin's likeability a lot.
For all the good that's done, it may or may not have started an annoying trend where the internet fandom very easily writes off any ending they don't like as garbage and start praying to their lords and saviors at Banpresto to "fix" it in the next SRW game. I've already seen it happen for 00 and Code Geass. If and when CG debuts in SRW I'd love nothing more than for Banpresto to give these whiners the middle finger and have CG's finale be the game's finale so that that event will still happen.
Chris
Administrator

Vent Noir wrote:One theory I can remember being brought up quite early on in Destiny was that Shin was blaming the wrong person all along for the death of his family - that Kira was always being careful to fire upwards or at other angles where there wasn't a risk of hurting civilians, whereas Calamity was the one recklessly shooting anywhere and everywhere, and thus far more likely to accidentally hit someone.
This isn't even an issue though, something else the series dropped completely. Shinn's hatred of Kira kicked off with the death of Heine and centered mostly on the death of Stella. His family had nothing to do with it and is never mentioned. In fact, when that whole Orb flashback is presented again later on, it's edited to look even more vague about who fired the fatal shot.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his