Special 002 - The Megacon Contagion 2009!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Special 002 - The Megacon Contagion 2009!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Special 002 - "The Megacon Contagion 2009!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 167 min., 52 sec. (2:47:52) - 76.8 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: Dale Rausch (Segs. 1, 2, 4 & 5)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro/1st Segment: "Welcome to Gundamn! @ Megacon 2009!/U.C. is back!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:29:13

02. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Spike VGA Awards: Best RPG?"
Runtime: 0:29:13 - 0:31:04

03. 2nd Segment: "Time Well Wasted: Series to Avoid"
Runtime: 0:31:04 - 0:52:56

04. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:52:56 - 0:53:32

05. 3rd Segment "The Funimation Insider: An interview with Adam Sheehan"
Runtime: 0:53:32 - 1:16:38

06. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! - "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny" (featuring Austin)
Runtime: 1:16:38 - 1:17:59

07. 4th Segment "MAHQ.net Mecha Podcast Special with webmasters Chris & Dale"
Runtime: 1:17:59 - 2:09:42

08. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:09:42 - 2:11:25

09. 5th Segment/Outro: "Time Well Spent: Series we Recommend/Props & Prizes"
Runtime: 2:11:25 - 2:47:52

What a weekend! Just as promised, we present our second Special-sode, this time recording live at Megacon 2009 in Orlando, FL! Not only will you find our live sessions in this episode, but also Adam Sheehan from anime licensing supergroup, Funimation Entertainment, is also interviewed by Chris in a very informative segment!

We'd like to thank the following for their assistance during our time at Megacon:

- The Gang @ Anime Sushi: Again, you guys came through for us and gave us the opportunity to do this again. Many thanks to you all, as well as arranging for additional prizes for our winners who attended. Thanks for the venue and we look forward to doing it again next year!

- Florida Oriental Trading: For supporting us and providing prizes for the Live Recording! We urge everyone in passing through the Downtown Orlando Area to give their store a visit, and as always, tell 'em Gundamn sent you!

- Lee Majors: Our friend and co-host of Shinjuku Station's "Flip the Script". Mad thanks to him coming out and manning the mixer when we recording on Saturday!

- Dale Rausch: The fourth Beatle! Thanks for rocking the mic with us again this year! Too bad your number one fan, The Hod, couldn't make it. There's always next year!

- Tonya Rausch & Jenn Barckholtz: for doing a million things for us over the weekend to help with the recording and all things in between. We couldn't have done it without your help ladies, and your efforts were totally appreciated. ^_^

- Boiwondr & Shoji Ramuro: Our trusty microphone man and resident "Bill Whipton" came through for us again this year, and for his help we give our endless thanks. Also, more props to Boiwondr and Shoji for coming in and recording the "roast" they did for Gundam & Gundamn (found after Segment 1). Check out their video game podcast, Level Nine, which will have a new episode posted next week!

- NutsForAnimeFigures.com: for providing the VF-19 Revoltech figure for the prize giveaway! Thanks a lot for sponsoring another one of our live shows from Megacon!

- Funimation: Many thanks go to Funimation as well for providing the DVD box set of "009-1", and more so to Adam Sheehan, for taking time out of his busy schedule to talk with us about how they're changing the industry.

- Those who attended: Where would we be without you guys? Thanks to all who came out and participated, it was an exciting time and it was a pleasure meeting & talking with you, and we can't wait to do it all over again with you all at the next live show!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - MegaConvention.com - Anime Sushi - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine
MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Kaioshin Sama

Was that Bill O'Reilly in the opening segment?
T.V.

Re: Special 002 - The Megacon Contagion 2009!

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:01. Intro/1st Segment: "Welcome to Gundamn! @ Megacon 2009!/U.C. is back!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:29:13

02. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Spike VGA Awards: Best RPG?"
Runtime: 0:29:13 - 0:31:04[/b]
Just listening to it while redecorating, and I'm about 30 mins in.

LevelNine dissing Gundamn!?.. Priceless! :lol:
speedstriker

Wow, another episode already?You guys are seriously getting this stuff done more and more quickly. This is going to be great.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
VentZX

Allright! Posting my appreciation before I get knee deep into the episode. Got something to listen to while I apply decals on my MG Crossbone. Without a doubt one of the most tedious things ever, but I got you guys to make it better.
Wingnut

T.V. wrote:LevelNine dissing Gundamn!?.. Priceless! :lol:
I think they were put up to that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gundamn staff does the same on a future episode of Level Nine.

Nice censor on the ending of Code Geass there. That is for anyone who wasn't in the room anyway.

I too had the misfortune of watching M.D. Geist. It just happened to be on Sci-Fi after Gundam 00 so I watched it. Damn. In addition to the stuff about it mentioned in the podcast, the lead comes out of that cold sleep or whatever and also turns down a beautiful, and compared to the rest of the cast sane, woman with no expression on his face at all when doing so. I actually felt sorry for her by the end of it. Both for her fate and being cast in such a badly written story.

That interview certainly was interesting to listen to. Right from the horse's mouth on the happenings of one company in the industry.

I also noticed that you omitted any mention of G-Savior when listing the animated Gundam productions. Out of sight and mind indeed. I actually watched it recently and it wasn't as bad as I had heard. It wasn't really worthy of the Gundam name, but as a Sci-Fi channel original movie deal it was okay.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
wielder

Kudos for the timely editing Soul Bro. Definitely sounds like you guys had a good time there, both panels were a great listen. Too bad Chris couldn't get to the rundown on Votoms though.

That was a nice interview. Can't say I'm in the target audience for most of Funimation's products but I think you covered all the bases with pretty informative insight.

Btw, spreading the LOGH love is always a plus. Haven't seen any of the side stories, but the main series deserves every single bit of praise it gets and should easily appeal to many non-anime fans.

I guess Neo just couldn't let that opportunity slip away... :P But I do sympathize with any dub watchers in the room.

As for the Nadesico movie...well, at least that eventually gave us some pretty neat mecha for the SRW games, W in particular as far as I'm concerned. :lol:
Last edited by wielder on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
T.V.

Wingnut wrote:
I think they were put up to that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gundamn staff does the same on a future episode of Level Nine.
Even though that much is obvious, that doesn't make it anything less funny.
I also noticed that you omitted any mention of G-Savior when listing the animated Gundam productions.
I guess you answered that one yourself. :P

Anyway, nice episode guys!

The Funimation interview was an interesting bit, so thanks for doing that.
Illinformed and spoilerific? Neo's racking up notoriety. :lol:
Speaking of which, when browsing the gallery posted by Neo, I noticed his not-so-polite pointing out of SBR's 'stealth nap'. Apparently Adam is proficient enough to not let it hinder his time on the mike though. :)
lol @ Chris' repeated mentioning of 009's boobilicious content only for it to be won by a girl.
Well, perhaps she swings that way or doesn't mind. :lol:

I'm looking forward to an eventual Patlabor Round Up once you've finished Gundam and Macross. ;)
Destiny_Gundam

Well, Neo knows what I think of the Nadesico movie, so I won't go into that.

However, I have to speak up about Touka Gettan. I watched this show in its entirity, and it was amazing. It's aired backwards, and didn't make much sense at first, but that's what drew me back for more. I had to know what was going on. Once you get past the more serious concluding arc (the first 3/4 episodes), you get to see the show's heart and humour. I've laughed my ass off many times in this series. If nothing else, the show is absolutely gorgeous. It's so beautiful. A real feast for the eyes.

Moonlight Lady is the same. The animation is amazing, especially for a hentai. It was faptastic. Only one or two characters from Moonlight Lady made cameos in Touka Gettan. Characters from Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito also show up in one episode (due to dimension hopping).

Now, as for shows that I think should be avoided like the plauge, well, you know me. I don't have much hate for anything. But, I can think of a few iffy titles.

Kanokon: Not mecha, but worth mentioning as a show that disgusts me. Dropped after 4 eps cuz it was trashy garbage.

Dragonaut: Yes, this show is really really stupid. Incredibly stupid with stupid characters who do stupid things that make you want to strangle them. I did watch the series to the very end, and I assure you it doesn't get any better. I only watched it for 3 characters (and one of them died half way in).

Kannazuki no Miko: Show was always bad, but I enjoyed it... Until the last episode. That last episode really pours on the shoujo-ai. I found it rather uncomfortable and it was hard to sit through (this is when I realised I don't like yuri). So avoid unless you can handle yuri and don't mind seeing a guy get totally screwed over.

Chris, if you had asked the Funimation guy about Nanoha, I would have loved you forever (of course I didn't expect you to).

Here's a Neo's News worthy piece of information: Canada is a part of North America. :wink:

Underrated shows? Oh I have so many!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Oh yeah, still pushin this one. A unique take on the magic girl genre with a sci-fi twist. The 3rd season really kicks up the scale on par with a big name mecha show.

Idolmaster Xenoglossia: Sunrise's take on the hit video game involving pop singers. Naturally they toss in robots. A good show about the girls and how they grow into their role as mecha pilots. The sentient mecha really adds a new dynamic to the relationships.

Koutsetsushin Jeeg: Return to the classic super robot shows. This show was just so badass. The look, the characters, and the mecha combat were pretty hardcore. Go Nagai ftw.

Shattered Angels (aka Kyoushiro to Towa no Sora): In the vien of Kannazuki no Miko, this show is pretty bad, but eventually I got really attached to the characters and unique style of mecha combat. It definitely got pretty good later on (and didn't have uncomfortable levels of yuri).

I can only dream of the day when I'll be able to fly down and appear on a live show. Sadly I don't see it happening unless I strike oil or something.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Flame-X

Hey Chris, in the 4th segment, you answered someone's question about recommending Patlabor. Do you recommend the TV series at all?
snoops619

If only I coulda been there. Great segments as usual. Loved the Lvl9 sound bite and the random Familly Guy at the end (wtf?). And for once Neo was well informed which spelt disaster for anyone watching Code Geass.

Can't wait for when Gundamn! comes to do a U.K. tour :p You'll at least have me and Deamon Lord of L5 in the audience!
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
CanadaMan

Nice, sounds likes MegaCon was a blast.
Neo, what exactly did you spoil for Code Geass R2?
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Chris
Administrator

Flame-X wrote:Hey Chris, in the 4th segment, you answered someone's question about recommending Patlabor. Do you recommend the TV series at all?
Yes, I recommend the entire animated franchise. Some people only like certain parts, but I like it all and recommend it all.
CanadaMan wrote:Nice, sounds likes MegaCon was a blast.
Neo, what exactly did you spoil for Code Geass R2?
He viciously spoiled Lelouch being dead in response to a question about a continuation of Code Geass.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Nothing vicious about it. R2s been done for almost six months and Code Geass has only been the most popular anime in the last two years. So, I'm sure it was no surprise to anyone.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

hawk of endymion wrote:Nothing vicious about it. R2s been done for almost six months and Code Geass has only been the most popular anime in the last two years. So, I'm sure it was no surprise to anyone.
Neo. Ambassador of Spoiler Country. ^_^
Kaioshin Sama wrote:Was that Bill O'Reilly in the opening segment?
Sure was. I sampled the hilarious mash-up I came across on YTMND.com:

"Bale to play us out" (NSFW)

The end result at the beginning of this ep turned out better than I imagined. :)
The Level Nine roasting was just some fun ribbing they gave us. Don't worry, we'll get 'em back.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Nothing vicious about it. R2s been done for almost six months and Code Geass has only been the most popular anime in the last two years. So, I'm sure it was no surprise to anyone.
Neo. Ambassador of Spoiler Country. ^_^
There are bigger spoilers than Leouch's death. Actually, his death was an after thought.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Chris
Administrator

Like I said before, it was probably a surprise to whoever's watching it on Adult Swim. @_@
Vent Noir

Recommended obscure mecha shows (that haven't been mentioned yet)...

Okay, I guess Tekkaman Blade isn't too obscure, given that it was on TV in the west (as Teknoman), but I still want to recommend it. Be warned that it does get very angsty/depressing, though.

Iczer-One - this was one of the very first real anime I saw (apart from stuff like Voltron on TV), and remains one of my favourites to this day. A great combination of action, mecha, and horror. Be warned of two things: One, it does get gory, and two, avoid the dub. The followup Iczer-3 (a.k.a. Iczer Reborn) is less gory and serious, but still fun.

A couple of newer ones...

Soukou no Strain I enjoyed a great deal, and wish had been given more than 13 episodes for the plot to play out. It just got released in the US recently (as StrAIn: Strategic Armored Infantry, so it should be pretty easy to find).

Koutetsushin Jeeg, a sequel to the 70s show Koutetsu Jeeg although you don't have to have seen the original to enjoy it. Pure super robot action fun.

Oh, and since you were talking about the Japanese Transformers shows, you might like to know that Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory have had an official release in Australia. Japanese with subs, plus, in the distributor's own words (at Manifest a couple of years ago), "The crappy English dub from the Phillipines, which had a total of about four voice actors for the entire cast, none of whom were any good."

The site is at http://www.madman.com.au/transformers/ - I think it should be possible to order from outside Australia, although you might need a multi-region DVD player (hey, I had to get one to play US discs, deal with it).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Vent Noir wrote:Japanese with subs, plus, in the distributor's own words (at Manifest a couple of years ago), "The crappy English dub from the Phillipines, which had a total of about four voice actors for the entire cast, none of whom were any good."
When you've got a dub where Sixshot introduces himself by saying "I am the ninja consultant to the Headmasters!", how could you possibly go wrong?
hawk of endymion

Call it my "Soul Bro Spoiling the News" moment.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]