Gundam 00 Season 2 Anthology: Updated 7/15/09 (Alternatives)

Your own tale of two mecha.
Dean_the_Young

Well. Hm.

In other news, that promised semi-apology piece. Think of it as an epilogue to episode 20's drabble.

---

Wang Liu Mei’s eyes opened, and stared at the controls before her. No longer in the shuttle, but the controls in front of her were eerily familiar in her hands, as was the machine around her. Primitive, slow, but still lethal with a cannon she could see through the front hatch’s window.

‘Ball,’ Liu Mei recognized, though she could not say how she knew. Neither Celestial Being or the Innovators had ever invested in so primitive a weapon as this.

Before she could continue down that path of recollection, though, a flash of movement caught her eye. The tell-tale flash of a rocket motor flashing, and another Ball passed in front of her.

Somehow, to the very marrow of her bone, she knew who it was. Even from this distance.

‘Nena Trinity!’ she snarled in her mind, instinctively bringing up the targeting screen. It was child’s play to target the slow and awkward mobile pod, it was vindication itself to pull the trigger and watch the sphere blow up in the brightly colored space.

“You betrayed me for the last time, girl!” she hounded after the other’s death, unaware of her own upcoming demise. Because Nena Trinity’s eyes opened, and stared at the controls before her. No longer in the familiar cockpit of the Drei, but the controls infront of her were eerily familiar in her hands…

“How long have they been at it?” asked one watcher from afar. “Living time, I mean.”

“About a week,” said his blond haired companion. “I give them another month or two before they break the cycle and start trying to survive.”

“We can’t have that now, can we?” asked his post-mortem friend. “Want to fly through and blow them up a few times? Bet I can get more of them than you can.”

“Loser buys drinks,” agreed Joshua. “And if you get your machine damaged by them, you have to buy a round for the entire ship.”

That night, the crew of the Albion got two rounds for free.

---
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Sume Gai

Gundam Purgatory is awesome (for us anyway)
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Attomoku

Ha.. haha... Buwahahahaha :mrgreen:

That made my day! Keep up the good work.
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
Dean_the_Young

---

00 S2 Drabble 22

25 Truths of the A-LAWS

---

Memes are a sign of a lack of creativity and motivation to make something new.

---

1. With few exceptions, the A-LAWS are an all-volunteer force screened from the regular Federation Army. This was done so that all members are motivated individuals with proven skills, and who are likely to be most loyal to their mission.

2. Not all A-LAW missions are atrocities against the weak and innocent. What is largely forgotten is that nearly all their missions are accurate and aimed against actual resistance cells and agents. This is because Veda allows unparalleled intelligence gathering abilities, and most of those not actually associated with the resistance are persons of interest, either politically or to the Innovators.

3. After the initial Unification politics and minor skirmishes died away, the A-LAWS are the one government force that continues to see regular combat. This has led to two main categories of people to join; the blood thirsty and the idealists.

4. The blood thirsty are those like Colonel Lindt, who relish battles and victories. The A-LAWS eagerly accepts these men for two main reasons.

5. One, their aggression is well suited for the A-LAWS goal of crushing any threat to the Federation, and these people rarely blanch from any action deemed necessary.

6. Two, these are the men and women who would seek battles anyway, regardless of which side. The Innovators logically reasoned that it would be better to have these types of men fight for them, rather than against them, if only because it would be troublesome to have to kill them.

7. The blood thirsty are actually a minority of the A-LAWS, even if they compose an undue size of the officer class. The Idealists are the larger faction, and are heavier at the lower levels. Many are soldiers who were twisted and affected by Celestial Being’s actions.

8. Despite their name, the Idealists are not soft-liners who support a conciliatory stance. Such persons do not last long in the A-LAWS. The Idealists are those who tolerate whatever actions they take because they see it as necessary to achieve true unification and, by extension, a lasting peace. Even when those actions are abhorrent.

9. General Katagiri, head of the A-LAWS, is an Idealist. Even when supporting the construction and use of the Memento Moris, he did so because he believed it was necessary to coerce a lasting peace. After the Break Pillar incident, General Katagiri offered his resignation if it might further the world’s reconciliation after the tower collapse. He was refused.

10. General Katagiri has made exceptions in A-LAWS for only two people. One was his nephew, who he recognized as a superb engineer. The other was the man who would become known as Mr. Bushido.

11. General Katagiri and Graham met years before Celestial Being arrived, back when the older Katagiri was a high-ranking Union military officer stationed in Japan. Graham, visiting Japan on leave, was referred to the Katagiri estate by Billy when he found that Graham could barely afford his hotel. Then-Colonel Katagiri played the perfect host, and he and Graham spent much time talking over everything from politics to Japanese theatre.

12. The next time Graham visited that house was after the final battle with Celestial Being. Not bothering to cover his scars, Graham came and asked for the right to fight Celestial Being when they returned. Homer promised to see what he could do, and bid Graham to stay at his home for the time being so that he might recover and refocus himself for the future.

13. A month later, Homer brought Graham with him to an undisclosed location far to the South. Leaving him in a spacious waiting room, Homer left for a private meeting, leaving Graham in the company of a red haired man named Ali al-Saachez.

14. This wasn’t the first time the two had crossed paths. That had been Azadistan. It was the third. The second time had been on the sole surviving ship immediately before the final battle, as the GN-Flag’s pseudo-solar reactor was recharged for its first and final sortie. While that was being done, Graham tracked down and interrogated the horribly burned survivor who had been Darryl’s last witness.

15. Perhaps it had been because of the morphine and drugs making him ambivalent and more than a little incoherent, but Ali had actually praised Darryl for his role in the green Gundam’s defeat. He even said he regretted that African-American’s death, that there was a time he would have paid greatly for the man’s services. Graham took such praise as Darryl’s due.

16. He also vocally wondered why Darryl had been so beholden to an officer who left his command to flounder and die. Graham did not as much as flinch, knowing it was his due as well.

17. Ali al-Saachez was the first and second man to call Graham Mr. Bushido, though he only remembers the second time. The first had been back in that medical bay, mocking Graham’s pride and reason for delay.

18. The second time had been half a year later, at the Innovator’s headquarters. His view of Graham’s discipline and decision to not repair his scar was no more reverent. Over the next few trips, it quickly became a pet name when referring to the blond man, and that was how the name initially spread.

19. Despite the name, Mr. Bushido has never claimed to live by any sort of code of honor or morality. Instead he lives for what remains of his pride. It is confusing and paradoxical, but it is all that he has left.

20. When Homer Katagiri eventually returned, he was accompanied by a young man with green hair. Looking into Graham’s eyes, the lad had asked a few questions of Graham’s motivations which Graham answered honestly, turned to General Katagiri, and acquiesced to the General’s request for a License.

21. Though the rule is known by A-LAWS officers and senior NCO’s, the License system is incredibly rare. Though nominally a few dozen persons have held the privilege, all but one have actually been the Innovators under various aliases during the Unification conflicts, when Ribbons wanted to insure that various battles and missions happened in a specific way but didn’t want to reveal the Innovators to the still shakey EF establishment. The first non-Innovator License-holder was Graham Aker, at the private request of the A-LAWS commander himself.

22. Ali al-Saachez does not hold a License because he is not part of A-LAWS at all; Ribbons keeps Ali around for missions too important or sensitive for even the A-LAWS to undertake. Ali is darker than black; Ribbons has used Veda to erase every proof of Ali’s existence, from articles to aliases, from the face of the earth.

23. Though he is beholden to them, Mr. Bushido has no deeper loyalty or affection for the Innovators or any other A-LAWS officer. Liberally wielding his License, he has made a habit of spawning animosity from A-LAW officers. The only officer he has never considered using his License against is General Katagiri, who has never asked for anything he would find objectionable. In doing so, General Katagiri has cultivated the card to serve him and not the Innovators should they ever threaten world peace.

24. Ribbons tolerates Katagiri’s nascent conspiracy for many of the same reasons he tolerates Regene’s meddlings; General Katagiri is a talented and reliable operator, won’t take action unless Ribbons drastically loses his grip on events, and Ribbons is confident he can always put down any attempt that General Katagiri might put together. In the meantime, he is content to let Katagiri handle the day to day runnings of A-LAWS.

25. Because he does not dig further than a dozen or so levels, Ribbons is unaware of General Katagiri’s other trump card: his young nephew. Though aware of A-LAWS newest genius mobile suit developer, General Katagiri has neglected to inform the Innovators of Billy’s breakthrough of a workable trans-am system. It will be only a matter of time until they notice and he provides, but in the meantime Homer Katagiri has his own cards to play independent of the Innovators.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Dean_the_Young

00 S2 Drabble 23

Return of the Shorts

---

Sometimes, it’s best just to return to what you started with.

---

I Knew That You Knew That I Knew…

---

As the adrenaline faded, Regene began to chuckle, and then burst into laughter over Ribbon’s corpse.

“With this, Aeolia’s plan becomes my own!”

“That’s a touch arrogant, isn’t it?” asked a far too familiar voice from behind and above, and Regene whirled behind to see Ribbons Almark walk in from above.

Regene gasped. “Impossible,” he whispered, turning back to look at Ribbon’s corpse. “Unless…”

“So you see?” asked the dead man. “You always were one of my most intelligent creations. A pity it’s come to this.”

If Regene was feeling fear, he wasn’t showing it. Instead, Ribbons was surprised to hear the sound of laughter come from the purple haired Innovator. What started as a chuckle burst into laughter, leaving the lead Innovator to feel the slightest bit confused.

“Is something funny?” he asked.

“Oh, just that your master’s gambit failed, clone,” Regene said, looking back without the least bit of fear.

“Pardon?” asked Ribbons, wondering what Regene was referring to. Had the man snapped in the shock?

“Oh, you heard me. You’re a clone, just like all those copies of Bring below. And clones are only fit to follow the orders of their superiors. You thought you could trick me, Ribbons Almark, but you were wrong.”

“I’m afraid you’re mistaken,” Ribbons tried to correct. “It is I who tricked you. It was I who-”

“Don’t flatter yourself, Clone,” denied Regene. “Ribbons thought he could be clever. But I knew there would be a clone; with so many other clones below, it was impossible for Ribbons to not have made another of himself. I knew he would confront me eventually.”

“And so you thought I would directly confront you instead?” asked Ribbons, “Instead of at least using a clone to do so when you reacted? I thought you were smarter than that, Regene Regetta.”

“Ah, but I knew of the clones, and you know I know of the clones. Indeed, because I know of the clones, it would be so obvious to confront me with one to force me to move first.”

“A gambit which worked perfectly,” Ribbons tried to reassert his control over the situation, “because-“

“But I knew you would know that I knew about the clones, and that attacking one would only reveal myself,” continued on Regene. “So instead you wanted to try and confuse me, knowing I wouldn’t risk attacking a fake infront of me. Then you would confront me from above with the actual clone, leaving your real self open to finish me when I turned my back. You tried to be clever, but weren’t clever enough. I could see through your switch.”

“Did you ever consider to think that they might both be clones?” asked Ribbons in exasperation. “You’re taking this farce to ludicrous extents. I am here, and you have revealed your treachery for the last time, Regene.”

Regene looked at him as if he were the fool. “It’s Ribbons Almark, Clone,” he said patiently, as if explaining things to a small child. “He wouldn’t pass up the chance to outsmart someone in person, smug and secure in the knowledge that they wouldn’t strike.” Regene smugly began to walk forward. “That lack of insight is proof enough that you aren’t your Original. Submit to me. I am now the leader of the Innovators and Aeolia’s Plan, Clone.”

Ribbons rolled his eyes, fed up with Regene’s foolishness. “Clone or not, I still have the mercenary with the gun. Kill him,” he ordered his enforcer, and Regene was soon lying in a pool of his own blood.

Ali carefully walked forward and took the gun from Regene’s limp hand as Ribbons watched. “Just who was more clever in the end, Regene?” Ribbons mused. “You couldn’t even outthink a bullet. I am by far superior to you.”

As Ribbons gloated, Ali threw a curious glance at his patron. “Hey, boss,” he began. “Was he telling the truth, about you being just a clone? Not that there’s anything wrong with that, mind you, so long as I get to fight, but I’m curious…”

Ribbons threw a disgusted look at Ali. “Just go out and fight,” he snapped.

---

Sleeping (Around) On The Job

---

Watching the effects of the Celestial Being’s doomsday laser wiping out of the remains of the A-LAWS fleet, two souls watched with something other than horror. It was close to admiration, even.

“You have to give it to them,” Revive Revival said. “When those humans do something smart, they do it right.”

“Not bad indeed,” Healing Care said, licking her lips in excitement at the power they had just witnessed. “I may have to go back and thank the engineer who came up with this… properly.”

Revive looked at her oddly. “I thought you broke it off with him the moment you realized he was looking for more than a one night stand,” he said. “Told him he was too pitiful and boring.”

Healing waved it off. “That was part of Ribbons plan,” she said. “Apparently women troubles motivate that man to new heights; Ribbons was warned by the head of A-LAWS to avoid it, but Ribbons felt he could take advantage of it. And if it helps Ribbon’s plan…” she shrugged lewdly.

“You’d sleep with humans for Ribbons?” Revive asked, skeptical. “I thought both of you had higher standards.”

“Oh, don’t start that,” Healing retorted. “I have quantum brainwaves too, you know, Mr. ‘She’s good… for a human.’ Don’t try pulling high and mighty on me.”

“Forgive me,” Revive said with false sincerity. “I’m just surprised you would sink to my level, that’s all.”

“Well, it’s not like it wasn’t fun,” Healing admitted. “Even if he does have that woman fixation. He wasn’t that bad; more fun than Bring ever was.”

“I thought Bring always rejected you,” commented Revive.

“And his clones aren’t much better,” continued Healing. “What?” she asked Revive upon seeing his expression at the possibilities. “Can’t a girl have some fun?”

---

Bring Out Your Dead!

---

The Gagas exploded, leaving bits and pieces of the Jinx III behind the ship. They were safe, for the moment, but at such a terrible cost.

“Patrick!” Kati whispered again, biting her lip to curb her emotion. Beside her was her co-captain Casival Andrew Nova, a capable second in command who went by Cas.

“He died a brave man,” Cas assured her, putting a supportive hand on her shoulder. “He saved you, and would have wanted you to carry on with the mission.”

“-m not dead! I-” came a radio transmission from the debris, softly audible across the ship bridge.

“He came a long way, and did great things,” Cas eulogized. “He deserves his rest. His soul must be very tired.”

“-ctually, if I can get an- -obile suit, I can go out right now. C-“

“It’s as if I could her him now,” Kati said. “He sounds so close.”

“-m right behind the ship! Don’t leave me behind, Tai-sa-“

“You must be mistaken,” Cas reassured her. “Patrick is dead, but I-“

“-an’t you hear me? Bridge, re- -ond! This is –trick Cola- -m alive!”

“Patrick must be mortally wounded,” Cas corrected himself. “If he isn’t dead yet, he must surely be in an agony of torment.”

“-again, alive! And perfectly well! Can you hear me, bridge? Kati, respond!”

“Patrick?!” Kati said, looking up and shrugging off Cas’s hand. “Are you there?”

An annoyed expression flitted across Cas’s face, and he made a subtle nod to the communication’s officer, a close friend of his. Briefly turning off the bridge com reception, the man relayed the unspoken message. Out behind the ship, one of the Jinx III’s carefully saddled up beside Patrick’s cockpit, took careful aim, and punted it straight into the never-ending stream of Gagas. The cockpit bounced from impact to impact, tumbling down the stream of Gagas and destroying an amazing number of the kamikaze machines. When he was no longer visible, the Jinx III gave a quick thumbs up towards the Communication officer and returned to the battle.

Taking the cue, the communications officer restored and turned up the bridge reception and, looking very professional indeed, bent to his headset. “Lieutenant Colasour, can you read me? Patrick Colasour! If you’re alive, please respond!”

Apparently they hadn’t waited long enough, because Patrick’s response was loud and clear.

“CaPtAiN! HeLp Me! I tHiNk I’m GoInG tO ThRoW uP aNd Di-” Then there was a loud ‘thud’, possibly of a helmet basing against something, and the man stopped speaking.

Kati and Cas traded glances, and not even Cas A. Nova could refuse the glimmer of hope in her normally jaded eyes. “We’ll do a thorough search of the battlefield afterwards,” he promised.

---

It’s Time To Du-Du-Du-Du-Duel!

---

“Melee is the best form of combat!” Ali crowed. “There’s nothing quite like the sensation of your enemy’s guts oozing out of the holes you sliced open!”

Lockon sneered. “As if,” he retorted. “Guns are much better. Only an uncivilized barbarian can’t appreciate the majesty of putting a large caliber round straight between the enemy’s eyes, and only a lout can’t appreciate the lingering smell of gunpowder in the air.”

Ali gasped. He’d been called and thought of as a barbarian many times before. In some ways, it was a matter of pride. But to be called a lout? “I challenge you to a duel, Limey bastard!” he yelled.

“I’m Irish, and we’re already fighting!” yelled back Lockon. “What would be the point?”

“To do this properly,” explained Ali. “Sword versus pistols. Mano e mono. My two balls versus your three.”

Lockon opened his mouth to protest, saw Haro looking at him, and conceded the point.

Before he rejected the proposal out of hand, however, he realized a brilliant thought. Smirking on the inside, he responded by gaining space by backing up and holding his fire.

“I accept!” he said. “But we’re going to do this right. No leg beam sabers, no missiles, just sword and pistols in a proper three pace duel.”

“What?” asked Ali. “That’s not how you do a melee duel.”

“Tough luck,” Lockon said. “You challenged me. I choose the means.”

“Fine,” Ali bit out. “Let’s get this started.”

Cautiously, wary of mutual treachery, both mobile suits turned their back on each other and slowly backed up.

Slowly.

Very slowly.

“Come on, I don’t have all day!” snapped Ali.

“Keep your pants on!” snapped Lockon. “I don’t want to scratch the paint!”

Eventually they were both back to back. “On three, agreed?” asked Lockon.

“Agreed,” accepted Ali.

“Haro, keep count and leave the rest of this to me,” commanded Lockon.

‘I am so smart,’ though Lockon. ‘At six paces, I’ll be out of his sword range and free to open up with my pistols, and I’ll be able to fly back for more space. That man is such a fool!’

“Roger, roger!” squeaked the orange ball. “One…”

“Wait!” interrupted Ali. “Is it turn on three, or three and then turn?”

“Two…” squeaked Haro again.

“Three and then turn,” Lockon snapped. “Don’t you know anything about dueling, idiot?”

“Shove it sideways,” ordered Ali.

“Three!”

Lockon whipped around ready to open fire, only to turn to look right into the sweep of the Arche’s broadsword. Barely able to block the sword with the pistol-hatchets, Lockon was sent reeling back, opening his leg to a thrust from that large sword.

“Damn cheater!” Lockon swore. “You turned early!”

“I protest that accusation!” Ali said with an affronted tone. “I took my three steps… backwards! It’s your fault for not specifying which direction! Who’s the fool now, Mr. Gundam?! Bringing a gun to a knife fight!”

“But that’s a broadsword!”

“That’s just how I roll!”

---

I-!

---

Taking just a few moments longer to check her weapon again, Sumeragi felt a rush of terror flow through her veins as she bumped into a tall mass turning the corner. Were the autonomatons already this close to the bridge? But then she saw who it was.

“Billy!”

“Kujo,” the tall man acknowledged as he recovered, none of the warmth or energy that she once knew in his eyes. But a glimpse behind him was enough to find a pressing explanation why; already the automatons behind him were turning their guns in their direction. Clearly they weren’t concerned for what happened to him.

“Billy, get down!” she ordered with her strongest command presence, taking him by surprise as she immediately grabbed him close and threw them both backwards, safely behind the corner immediately before the machine cannons fired. They flew backwards in a low-gravity roll, with Sumeragi guiding them both towards relative safety.

Billy, who Kujo was sure had never fought a real battle in his life, began to do what many in a near death situation do: he began to struggle. “Let me go, Kujo!” he shouted, trying to push away from her. From the standpoint of a strategic expert, she could deduce that he was trying to get some sort of control over the situation.

But Sumeragi had found her motivation, her reason for being. It wasn’t to end wars anymore, it was to protect and save those she cared about. And so with a soldier’s resolve she swiftly beat down Billy’s attempts to struggle without hurting him too much, all while pushing off walls to go down not-quite random corridors, leaving the automatons falling behind. The machines were having a hard time in the Ptolemy’s low-gravity environment, and the special composites making the floor reduced the effectiveness of magnetic grips.

And so, with a bit of safety as she led brought them closer to the bridge, Sumeragi turned her full attention to her unexpected charge. “Billy,” she asked, “what are you doing here?”

“A-LAWS,” he answered simply, still trying to struggle in ways she effortlessly beat down.

“A-LAWS!” she gasped. “Since when?” But before he could answer, though, her own mind raced through the past happenings. “Don’t tell me… after the Break Pillar incident? Someone recognized me from my transmission, and singled you out to be used against me? Billy, I am truly sorry I put you in danger, but the A-LAWS were bringing down the tower! I know it’s hard to believe, but you have to trust me on that!”

“I know,” he said, “but that wasn’t it, Kujo. It was earlier, when-“

“Kati Mannequin,” Sumeragi bit out, her thought speed light-years ahead of Billy. “She knew who I was. She must have sent it up in a report.” She risked a glimpse at Billy’s face, which was a mix of emotions of the moment. It would be unfair to blame him; he must have had a very stressful time of late. Even now he couldn’t stop struggling, though his attempts had begun to lessen.

“Not Kati,” Billy said. “My Uncle. I went to see him and-“

Sumeragi cut him off once again. “Your Uncle?! I knew he was the head of A-LAWS, but to force his own Nephew to do this… or was it the Innovators who brought you here? Did you Uncle draft to you design mobile suits for the A-LAWS?” If so, it would explain so much of the recent Innovator designs; Billy was a master of design, a fact no one could deny.

“I made mobile suits for A-LAWS,” Billy admitted, bitter anger in his tone even as he finally stopped his futile struggling. “And I’m the one who re-developed trans-am. I did it, Kujo, and I-“

“I know, and it’s alright,” Sumeragi soothed, easily forgiving the kind and gentle man she remembered so fondly. “The A-LAWS forced you to, and were telling you their lies of all the destruction we caused. You felt you had to cooperate. But that’s over now. After this battle, we’ll have taken their means of information control and the truth of their actions will come out. You won’t have to make weapons anymore.”

“Kujo, I don’t think you understand what I’ve done,” Billy said. “I-“

“There will be time for that later,” she promised, bringing them to a stop in front of the bridge. “But for now, you’re safe.” Punching the code, the door opened and both Feldt and Millenia looked anxiously at the door.

“Mrs. Sumeragi, you’re back! Are you alri- who’s this?” Feldt asked upon realizing Sumeragi was holding someone.

“This is Billy,” Sumeragi briefed them quickly. “He was drafted into A-LAWS, and the Innovators brought him on board to use against me. He’s had a hard time of late; please take care of him for me.” With the arm she had wrapped around Billy, she pushed him towards the door. “I’m going to make sure the Automatons don’t reach here, at any cost,” she promised.

“Kujo!” Billy shouted, recovering from his stumble into the bridge. “I won’t let you!” he declared, pulling the small pistol he had been wearing but had been unable to draw when she had held him tight and maneuvered him towards the bridge.

But Sumeragi, in an impressive showing of her old training as a soldier, quickly and deftly disarmed him, knocking the pistol from his grip. “That pistol won’t affect those Automatons,” she reminded him. “I’m sorry, Billy, but I have to do this alone.” Even though she could hear the automatons approaching, she risked the time for one last, brief embrace with him with one arm, the other holding the assault rifle she had originally left with. “I know it doesn’t mean much anymore, but for what it’s worth… I’m sorry it had to turn out like this, Billy.”

Stepping back, the sliding door closed between them with finality, and Sumeragi locked the door from the outside. She heard Billy’s curses, could almost see him punch the door, and with a small sad smile she turned and headed towards the automatons, that much more resolved to protect one more person.

Inside the bridge, Feldt and Millenia watched their new companion slowly give up on reopening the door, falling to his knees. “Kujo…” they heard from him. Millenia was the first to speak.

“Er, excuse me,” she said, getting his attention, “I’m sorry to ask this, but… are you two lovers?” And that was the point at which Billy gave up.

---

Official Jerid Fanboy
Thundermuffin

:lol:

My favorite was the punchline for the Billy/Sumeragi one, but they were all very amusing.

How ironic that Ribbons was almost tricked...by the very person who was trying to trick him! :P
Attomoku

Ugh, I hate it when you do that "I Knew That You Knew That I Knew…" stuff, its always hilarious but it gives me a headache whenever I read it. As usual your typecast of Ali as a magnificent bastard is fantastic :twisted:
Keep up the good work
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
Dean_the_Young

Thundermuffin wrote::lol:

My favorite was the punchline for the Billy/Sumeragi one, but they were all very amusing.
Actually, a (alright, currently only) FFN review pointed out that I made a number of sympathetic ways that Billy could have been dragged into A-LAWS; drafted, conned, or even used as hostage against Sumeragi. That might be a short in the not-so-distant future, in fact.

Attomoku wrote:Ugh, I hate it when you do that "I Knew That You Knew That I Knew…" stuff, its always hilarious but it gives me a headache whenever I read it.
That's the charm, though, isn't it? Of course, I'm convinced that it becomes worthless after the third itteration: if both sides know tat the other side knows that they know, what's left to know?
As usual your typecast of Ali as a magnificent bastard is fantastic :twisted:
Keep up the good work
Typecast? That's bad! I don't want to be remembered for Ali, even if he is absurdly fun to write with.

Official Jerid Fanboy
Attomoku

I meant it in a good way if that helps,
You write a great Ali
OpMegs

....I think I can replicate poor Revive's expression very well, because it took me a couple seconds to figure out what the "possibilities" line meant, and then I twitched somewhat. Daaayumn, Healing. :lol:
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Dean_the_Young

00 Drabble 24

Dear Mr. Erde…

---

To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart.
-Phyllis Theroux

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

To start, I hope this reaches you properly. I know you aren’t in a position to read it directly now, and even if you were, I would still have to apologize for the mess. I’ve never written an actual letter before, and as you can surely tell my handwriting is atrocious. Who writes by hand anymore? But Ms. Grace told me that she had written such a letter for the first Lockon, and so I felt it would just be proper if I did the same for you.

Not that you’re dead, of course! Or you are, but aren’t. I admit I don’t quite understand what happened to you; they said you were gone but not dead, and Mr. Seiei assured me you would get this letter somehow.

I think I’m starting to ramble now. Please forgive me, it’s just that I’ve never written one of these before and I’m not sure what to say. I just know that it really hurt when I thought you had died, and I am very sad that you won’t be returning to us. I know that you have to stay where you are, that Celestial Being isn’t simply forgiven and accepted by the world, and that there’s so much left to be done, but…

I’ll miss you. You’ll never be there to answer my questions, and it’s like I’ll never talk to you again. I’m sure you’ll be much too busy now to humor a young girl anyway. But I wish nonetheless.

I think I’m straying again, so I suppose I should end here. Farewell, Mr. Erde.

Most fondly,

Mileina Vashti

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

Really?! Do you mean it? Thank you so much, Mr. Erde! Even if it’s only by mail, I’m so happy that we can keep in touch. Even from inside Veda, you’re still so kind. I promise you, I will always remember to respond to you by email. No, not by email… by real mail, the truest expression of a maiden’s heart!

Oh, there’s so much to say, but I can’t find the words! Everything is so different now. Celestial Being is returning to the shadows again. Mr. Haptism is so happy with Marie (Is she Ms. Peries or Ms. Parfacy is the daily question!), and they’re content to live in peace. Mr. Stratos is also still with Celestial Being, ready to intervene at a moment’s notice.

Others are going their own way, now, but it’s not sad. Well, maybe a little; I didn’t know him well, but seeing Mr. Seiei leave was sad, but I know as a true Innovator it will be for the best for the upcoming Dialogue. I was a bit disappointed to see Mr. Crossroad leave, but I forgive him because he finally reunited with his true love. They’re even getting married next month! Isn’t that romantic?

Oh, there’s so much left to say, but I haven’t the time. With so few people I have even more work to do, and I still have to pick out a dress for the wedding. I’ll be sure to tell you all about it, Mr. Erde!

Yours truly,

Mileinia Vashti

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

Oh, I wish you could have seen it, it was all so beautiful! Everything! Everyone was dressed up so perfectly, and the weather was just marvelous, and the bride was just so beautiful!

Everyone was there, Mr. Erde. Everyone from Celestial Being, and a number who weren’t and were apparently on the other side during the war. But no one cared. Mrs. Sumeragi was there with Mr. Katagiri, and Mr. Haptism and Mrs. Parfacy were the other big couple there. Mrs. Parfacy was even the Chief Bridesmaid; apparently she and the bride knew each other from the A-LAWS. (I was just a Bridesmaid myself, I’m afraid.)

There were a lot of people there, many I’ve never seen, but you know who showed up without a warning? Mr. Seiei! He came back just for the wedding, apparently, and was even the Best man. I don’t know how they contacted him to arrange it, but he escorted Mss. Halevy down the carpet, and even stayed for the reception. Everyone was so glad to see him; I saw him and Mr. Crossroad talking, and you could just tell that he was glad he came. It really meant a lot to him.

I can’t say just how wonderful a day it was, Mr. Erde. I wish you had been there in person, and not just watching through the cameras. You could have even seen me catch the garter, and you know what that means!

I hope I have a day like that someday. It really would be wonderful. And just between you and me, and don’t tell my father, I think there’s a guy my age back at Celestial Being who’s caught my eye… it might be love! I’ve caught him looking at me recently, and I’m working up the courage to speak to him. Wish me luck, Mr. Erde!

Please keep my secret,

Mileinia Vashti

---

Mr. Erde,

You betrayed a maiden’s trust trust. How could you? To think I confided in you all these last few years! You can’t lie about it; you’re the only one I’ve breathed a word about Michael to, and we promised each other that we wouldn’t tell a soul.

Not that you have a soul anymore, do you Mr. Erde? No soul and no shame, wrapped up in that precious computer of yours. To be confronted by my own father with such a scandalous video evidence in hand? That was beyond the pall, Mr. Erde; I don’t care how omniscient Veda is, there are some things even you should not spy on.

I know you didn’t approve of Michael, and neither did my father. No one here does. But I never thought you would go so far. Believe it or not we are in love, Mr. Erde. We are true lovers, and nothing you or my parents say will change that. My Maiden’s Intuition will prove you all wrong!

But you’ll only be watch from now on, Mr. Erde, because from now on I never want to hear from you again. Ever. Don’t even bother replying to this last letter; I won’t open anything from you, and I’ll be even more unhappy with you if you try and mask your writing as someone else’s. I may not be a quantum computer, but I can spot the differences.

This would be where the goodbye would be, but right now I don’t want to wish you good. Or even a farewell. I just want you away from me, forever.

-Mileinia Vashti

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

I know it’s been awhile. I’m not even sure if you will respond to this; I wouldn’t blame you if you don’t, not after what I said. I can’t even ask for your forgiveness for what my accusations. All I can say is… I’m sorry. I truly am.

You didn’t record that video, even if you surely knew about it. I didn’t want to believe it for so long, I rejected everyone who tried to help me, choosing to foolishly believe his lies. I deluded myself, and I never would have realized it had I not overheard him boasting about it to those louts he calls his friends. Even then I nearly refused to believe it.

I didn’t think I would write this letter. I wouldn’t have, but Feldt told me I should when I went to her after realizing the truth. She told me that it would be best to put it on paper, and that I should be honest with my feelings. And they tell me that I owe you at least the admission that you were right, and I was wrong.

It hurts to say that. A lot. It feels like a hole’s been torn in my heart; I trusted, I believed, and he took advantage of that, and of me. It’s such a scandal, everyone must know, and I’m so ashamed of myself. I doubt anyone could respect me after how I’ve acted these last several months. But it’s no more than what I deserve.

What you didn’t deserve, though, was my hasty anger. For what little it’s worth, even if you never bother to reply, I’m sorry. From the bottom of my foolish heart, I am so very sorry.

Sincerely,

Mileinia Vashti

---

Dearest Mr. Erde,

You are a far better person than I could ever hope to be. Your words mean a lot to me, and so do your actions. I was surprised how quickly Michael was mysteriously transferred to the asteroid belt, but that was your doing, wasn’t it? Even before my letter likely got to you. It made me think, and realize something. Even when I forbid you to talk to me, you were looking out for me. Looking back, I see events that I had attributed to chance or luck, but I know they must have been you. Even when I put you out of mind, you never stopped looking after me.

The aftermath of Michael is still going on, but I know I’m finally making progress. You were right when you said that there would still be people who cared enough to stand up for me. Everyone was, even if I couldn’t see it at the time. Only hours after I wrote the last letter and fell into a mournful sleep, Mr. Haptism and Mr. Stratos both arrived at the base and immediately confronted Michael with hard words and even harder blows. I think Feldt must have had something to do with that; she has been supporting me the entire time, and not merely out of pity as I had feared.

And most importantly, I’ve finally reconciled with my Father. I think only he was more hurt by my actions than you, and afterwards I was terrified he would spitefully hold it over my head forever. But he didn’t. I know he had strong views on the matter (we certainly fought loud enough over them), but he’s being very understanding. It’s times like these I’m reminded of just how fortunate I really am, to be blessed with such wonderful friends and family. And you, of course, are as close to both as can be.

I’m sorry I have to go now, but I’ve resolved to work harder around here, both to make up to my father, and to help Celestial Being towards the new future. It’s not merely about me anymore. But rest assured, Mr. Erde, you retain a special place in my heart, and I will be sure to write to you often once again.

Yours truly,

Mileinia Vashti

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

Has it already been a decade since I last saw you, gallantly launching from the Ptolemaios? And yet, even now, I can remember just how charming you were in your pilot suit, set to reclaim Veda from the Innovators.

Oh, but how time flies! Now we remember them as the Innovades, because true Innovators like Setsuna are being born. And to think Mr. Crossroad would have been among them; do you think it was from so many sorties in the 00 Raiser, and so many trips inside it? Or was it because Mr. Crossroad has been involved with the construction of new GN drives for the world, and he’s had so much more exposure there? Either way, he seems happy enough, and I understand his second son is on the way. The last one is still so cute, though I never heard why they named the boy Soran. Was that the name of Mrs. Crossroad’s father, do you think? Either way, he’s still the gentle and kind man I remember.

Mr. Crossroad isn’t the only person to have changed (or not changed) over the years, though. Mr. and Mrs. Haptism remain just as much in love, and Mrs. Sumeragi finally got around to marrying her own love, even if they agreed that she would keep her name. That was a wedding to remember; she looked so beautiful in her gown, even if the baby was beginning to show. And do you remember when Setsuna arrived late in the 00, and in the panic of a possible attack the Best Man launched his nearby mobile suit? Mr. Katagiri still won’t let him live that down, or so I hear.

Not everyone’s gone down the marriage path though. Though I hear Lasse may or may not be interested in some girl he refuses to talk about, Mr. Stratos has settled firmly into bachelorhood. Not that he’s unhappy, he’s like the big brother to everyone in Celestial being these days, but I think he remembers Mrs. Returner to this day. I tell him she would want him to move on and be happy, but he always shakes his head and asks me when I intend to do the same.

…and though I haven’t told anyone else yet, I think I might. I know I mentioned Darian, one of the mechanics, to you? How he asked me to dinner a while ago, and how we’ve been strictly social up to now? Well, he just asked me to this year’s social ball. Normally I would have said no to most anyone else, but I remembered that you’ve written approvingly of him in our past correspondences, and so I agreed.

Just between you and me, I think he expected to be shot down. I think I’ve gained a bit of a reputation as a beautiful untouchable, and Mr. Stratos’s Big Brother antics don’t help. Darian even knows of Michael, and what happened to him afterwards. But he’s been dancing around asking me out for weeks now, and to be honest my woman’s intuition approves of him. Not like it did with Michael, and so I leaned on your own opinion, but I think he means well. I want to give him a chance.

But if he gets a few threatening anonymous warnings against harming me, and has an ulcer at the prospect of meeting my father, that’s just weeding out the weak. Isn’t that right, Mr. Erde?

Your dear friend,

Mileinia Vashti

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

I’m sorry to send you this email, but I don’t can’t wait for a regular letter to get to you. I don’t wish to break a tradition nearly twenty-five years in the making, but Darian just came across your letters and I’m afraid… I’m afraid he believes I’ve been having an affair. I’d never told him of you, you see, and so when he stumbled across your letters, which I keep in a memory box…

I can’t believe this is happening, Mr. Erde. Have I ever given the man cause to question my fidelity? These have been some of the happiest years of my life, and I’ve born him two children for Heaven’s sake! But he wouldn’t, couldn’t, listen to me when I tried to explain. He was so afraid, and I stumbled in my explanation and now-

He had already been drinking by the time I came home, and so his judgment… If you’re worried that he might have hit me when he confronted me, don’t. My husband is a gentle man, just as both you and my father said when both of you approved of him all those years ago. He put the children to bed and didn’t so much as raise a hand to me.

But he fled after confronting me, and we haven’t been able to find him since. Mr. Stratos is already searching the streets, and so are many of the others. But they’re getting older, Mr. Erde. Mrs. Sumeragi’s years of drinking are finally catching up to her, and the Haptisms and others have settled down far away. I’m not sure they can help in a situation like this.

My husband is a kind man, a good man. But he is also the sort of man to blame himself and act disproportionately. Please, help us find him. Help us make him understand, before he does something we will all regret. I don’t want to lose my husband, not to a misunderstanding like this.

For all that our friendship over the years has mattered to you, please Mr. Erde.

Earnestly,

Mileinia Vashti

---

Dear Mr. Verde,

I wanted to personally thank you for your condolences. My father lived a full life, and one he was proud to have lived, able to build something meaningful that helped change the world for the better. For an engineer like himself, that was all he could hope for in life, and indeed he did. He lived a happy and content life.

In some ways, I think he was glad to go peacefully when he did. My father told me that he always wanted to be the first to pass on of the crew of the Ptolemaios; he was the oldest, he would say, and it would be sad if younger people died before him. He reasoned that if he passed on of natural causes before the rest, it would mean that we had all survived and won. I think knowing that he was right for the better part of fifty years after the war made his later life that much better, even after my mother died last year.

Wherever he is now, I know he is happy. He was firmly convinced that if there was an afterlife, he would wind up back with Celestial Being some way or another. Doctor Moreno, Lichtendahl, Christina, those who died in the first war. Others who died in the second. Those who have passed since then. But my father had the blessing to pass on surrounded by friends and family, and the funeral saw many familiar faces.

Familiar, but so much older. My only regret is the knowledge that some will follow sooner rather than later, even in this age of modern medicine. I don’t recall Mr. Haptism having so many white hairs, or of Mrs. Crossroad having so many wrinkles when she isn’t that much older than me. But worst of all is Mrs. Sumeragi. The years of alcohol, of self-neglect are showing, even with nanomachines. She’s trying to stay strong for Mr. Katagiri’s sake, but she knows. Barring something horrible, the next funeral will be hers.

It’s natural, but sad none the less. We can end wars, understand hearts, and colonize space, but we still can’t conquer death. But then, if we did, we might not appreciate what we do have.

I need to go now, Mr. Erde. The grandchildren will be arriving soon, and they’ll be so energetic. Just how did my father put up with me when I was that age?

Your faithful correspondence,

Mileinia Vashti

p.s.: Darian sends his regards.

p.s.s.: He actually sends more, but commenting over my shoulder does him no favors. Maybe next letter.

---

Dear Mr. Erde,

Happy seventy-fifth Deathday, Mr. Erde! It really has been that long. Time passes, and it’s almost as if it’s faded into a mist so that no one can recall it. But I remember. I remember them all, even if my memory these days isn’t what it once was.

I remember the Haptisms before they were the Haptisms, when they were two young lovers bound together by fate and human modification. Even if they outlive all of us yet, I remember when they were young and vibrant, not old and content to watch time go by with their grandchildren.

I remember Lockon Stratos and Lasse when they were vibrant men in their prime. I am one of the few who remembers them before they passed on at respectable ages, one leaving a legend and the other leaving a legacy of a single child to carry his name.

I remember Feldt, dear Feldt who helped me in my times of need and waited the longest of all of us to be with the one she loved. I remember her, see her still, as the strongest woman I have ever known. No one was sadder at her loss but happier in her memory than when her life was traded for the life of her child at birth. After so many years, so many dashed hopes, I knew she would have carried through again.

I remember Mrs. Sumeragi, who indeed was the next after my father to pass away, a legend in the history of military commanders as the woman who ended wars between humans. I stand witness to how she regained her passion for life, how she carried on. And at the same time, I remember even Mr. Katagiri, who like a songbird followed his life’s love soon after. He left his own legacy of power and accomplishments, one to stand beside and in contrast with Mrs. Sumeragi’s.

I remember the Crossroads. I stood outside the door when Louise Crossroad passed away, I bore witness to Saji’s cries as she saw her parents once again. I remember how he quietly vanished during the night, never to be seen again.

And though I have never told another soul other than my husband, I alone remember the last and final time Setsuna F. Seiei stepped foot on amongst us. Most believe it was Feldt’s funeral, on one of his few final visits between his preparations for the Dialogue.

But I remember that it was the evening Louise Crossroad passed away. Most of the others had gone away, gone to bed. They had given Saji his space, let him simply sit beside his love for one final night. I, too, had left, and only witnessed the sight because I had to fetch something or another for one of the children. I stepped outside, and saw it. The twin drives, towering over the house.

At first I didn’t see it, so dark was the night. Then I thought I was hallucinating. But at the sight of movement in the house, I crept forward to observe through the open window. I saw their eyes, the glowing gold of Innovation. There were no words, not even a gesture besides a sympathetic arm on the bereaved’s shoulder. Between Innovators, no such words are necessary. And then, with some unspoken message between them, Saji Crossroads rose and followed Setsuna out of the room. Soon the twin drives left into the sky as silently as they arrived, and in the morning no sign of either man remained. I never said anything; it didn’t feel like it was my place to.

And so I remember them all, Mr. Erde. I remember. But of them all, on this day I remember you best. Not for how you died, but for how you lived, both then and now.

Yours faithfully,

Mileinia Vashti

p.s.: Darian insists I remember to remind you that we still have no idea what sort of gift to give you on this or any other occasion. You cracked those last codes so easily, and we spent weeks crafting them!

---

Dearest Tieria,

I’m afraid this will be the last letter I can write to you. Even now it takes the mightiest of efforts to raise this pen, and I tire so easily from the slightest things these days.

I do not have much longer, my dear Meister. I have known this day was coming for some time. I am the last, if not the least, of our great ship. All the others have either passed away before me or left for unknown Dialogues. But I will rejoin them soon. My bones are weary, my eyes tired. Soon I will rest, and like my father I know that I will once again open my eyes on that beautiful ship, alive in spirit if not in flesh. My friends, my family, and even dear Darian await me there. I know it.

But before I go, I make one last wish, a wish so selfish I only dared utter it in the foolishness of my youth. Once, long long ago, I demanded you never speak to me again. Now I ask the opposite: please, just one more time. I wish to see you again.

Farewell,

Mileinia Vashti

---

“You’re as beautiful as I remember you,” the bedridden woman marveled softly. “It’s as if you just returned from that battle, not a day having passed.”

“If only,” her young visitor replied. “Then you wouldn’t be here now.”

“Bah,” said the old women, refusing to dwell on it. “I was destined to die the moment I was born. All humans are. The difference is that some get a final request granted, and some don’t. I never expected mine to be granted to such an extent.”

“You asked to see me, and so I came,” the purple haired man said. “Isn’t seeing, believing?”

“Not with eyes like these!” cackled the patient, for a moment not sounding as close to death as she was. “I only meant one final reply, but you came all this way so quickly!”

“It was the least I could do,” he said.

“And yet far more than I deserve,” countered the woman affectionately, leaning further into her bed pillows. “You’ve always looked out for me, haven’t you?” she asked.

“It was the human thing to do,” he demurred. “Anyone should have.”

“But only you did,” she countered. “You are the most human person I have ever known, rivaled only by my late husband.” She sighed, sinking deeper into her final bed. “Oh, Darian…”

“You’ll see him soon,” her eternal companion promised. “He’s waiting for you.”

“…will you come too, later?” she asked, a hint of uncertainty in her tone. But he nodded.

“Later,” he promised. “Even Veda must change, must innovate. And when that time comes, I will be there.”

“I’m glad,” she said, fighting the urge to close her eyes. “You deserve to. You truly are beautiful.” She did not mean merely of body, but of spirit.

“Rest,” he bid her, gently covering her eyes. “I’ll be here to the last.”

“You’re too kind,” she chided even as her body slowed. “I think… that’s why I loved you first.”

He leaned over, giving her a final, gentle embrace. “I’m sorry I had to leave you,” he apologized, giving her a soft, chaste kiss on her forehead.

“-didn’t,” she murmured. “You were always there, guiding and protecting. To the man I married, and beyond.”

“I did,” he acknowledged.

“Thank you, Tieria,” she the wizened woman whispered one last time, and then her breathing fell silent.

Tieria left shortly afterwards. There was little left for him to do. Regene awaited him, the Dialogue needed to be continued, and the Plan must be continued. But, before that, he took the time to finish one last task. Sitting down, he carefully took out a piece of paper and began to write one final letter, much as others had done before.

“Dear Mielinia Vashti…”
Last edited by Dean_the_Young on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Official Jerid Fanboy
Attomoku

That was beautiful. :cry:

The way it was written was perfect, select letters to the "dead", telling the way the world is many years after the events of 00. Just enough information stated in passing, as if common knowledge, to outline and infer major events and legacy's in passing, yet open ended enough to let the readers mind fill in the blanks with some of their own minor details. Marvelous.
Thanks to this, I finally gets to see the heroes of a series I enjoy die of old age, in peace, and get the "happy ending" that many deserve but few gain the privilege to have.

As always, keep up the fantastic work Dean, I look forward to seeing more great works like this.

PS- I liked the subtle allusion to your 9 ships piece too :wink:
Thundermuffin

That merits an "awwwwwwww".

I liked how you mentioned that Saji became an Innovator. I was actually wondering that the other day, since he spends a lot of time in 00-Raiser too...
Dean_the_Young

Attomoku wrote:That was beautiful. :cry:

The way it was written was perfect, select letters to the "dead", telling the way the world is many years after the events of 00. Just enough information stated in passing, as if common knowledge, to outline and infer major events and legacy's in passing, yet open ended enough to let the readers mind fill in the blanks with some of their own minor details. Marvelous.
Thanks to this, I finally gets to see the heroes of a series I enjoy die of old age, in peace, and get the "happy ending" that many deserve but few gain the privilege to have.
I was seriously debating pushing this off until after seeing tomorrow's episode and releasing two finals, but after thinking about it I realized that a few people might die yet, and that the the happy ending I wanted for this might not work. I already have the next episode's mostly planned, and it wouldn't be ruined by more character deaths, but this piece could have been derailed if some significant people died. (Or, worse, if Tieria gets a new body; that would defeat the point of the letters.)

As always, keep up the fantastic work Dean, I look forward to seeing more great works like this.

PS- I liked the subtle allusion to your 9 ships piece too :wink:
Heh. I think I'm turning into one of those writers who compulsively makes obscure references to my own works and past/future ideas, though not important enough to ruin understanding if you don't catch one of them. The 9 Ships was one of them. Saji turning into an Innovator was another one that's been on my mind for awhile.
Thundermuffin wrote:That merits an "awwwwwwww".

I liked how you mentioned that Saji became an Innovator. I was actually wondering that the other day, since he spends a lot of time in 00-Raiser too...
A concept fic I've had bouncing around for awhile explores just that. The main focus would have been the 3 day journey Saji and Setsuna took in the 00; that really should have caught of for those sorties that Saji wasn't apart of that got Setsuna to Innovate. Especially if they did trans-am sprints to cut the time of travel; that sort of concentrated particle exposure should definitely have had an effect.

It would have been a Setsuna and Saji friendship fic, really, and a meditation on what it means to Innovate, plus some of my own views on what engineering means, what it means to build and create as opposed to destroy. And, by the end of the 3 days, Saji would also have been showing signs of Innovation.

Official Jerid Fanboy
speedstriker

;_;

Marvelous work Mr. Dean... I must confess, it is a wonderfully well thought out piece of literature. The information was all plausible and within context while the pacing had a certain charm to it that compel you go read on while keeping a gentle and pastoral voice... I am amazed.

Looking forward to any further work you manage to dish out. you have officially gained yourself a fan after this and the 9 ships story!
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
OpMegs

I....the whole thing was incredible, but....dammit.

The scene when you mentioned Louise making a comment that she can see her parents again as she passes on of old age.....I admit it, I teared up entirely. About the only thing that could've surpassed that would've been Saji making a comment to the effect of Louise and Kinue waiting for him.

Still, bravo. Milleina as a viewpoint character there was just a perfect choice, and it plays well with Tieria's bit in the epilogue even if you hadn't seen it at the time.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Dean_the_Young

...it's come to my attention that I made a major mistake with this last piece, to be honest. Something so fundamentally large it's a disgraceto not have seen it coming. It's embarassing, even, because...

I can't match it.

Episode 25 was supposed to be the big epic end, a motivating bitter-sweet conclusion to a 50 episode series. And it is, though I have yet to make serious progress in it; its a look at how far everyone has come.

But it isn't final. It's a bunch of "what ifs"/second chances. It lacks continuity with the series itself, except for perhaps the final piece.

This should have been the last one. A look at the time passing past the cast from the eyes of a young girl. It has continuity, flow, and emotion. It's a reasonable continuation of the story, disregarding the movie.

Damn it, how in the world am I supposed to follow that up with a conclusion drabble? Everyone, myself included, will always be thinking "meh, it's nice, now let's reread 24..."

Argh!!!

(Also, a more relevant note: the final drabble will be sometime next week. I have a 4 day training exercise from Thursday morning to Sunday afternoon at Ft. Benning.)

Official Jerid Fanboy
Bremics

Re:

Dean_the_Young wrote: ---

Sleeping (Around) On The Job

---

Watching the effects of the Celestial Being's doomsday laser wiping out of the remains of the A-LAWS fleet, two souls watched with something other than horror. It was close to admiration, even.

"You have to give it to them," Revive Revival said. "When those humans do something smart, they do it right."

"Not bad indeed," Healing Care said, licking her lips in excitement at the power they had just witnessed. "I may have to go back and thank the engineer who came up with this... properly."

Revive looked at her oddly. "I thought you broke it off with him the moment you realized he was looking for more than a one night stand," he said. "Told him he was too pitiful and boring."

Healing waved it off. "That was part of Ribbons plan," she said. "Apparently women troubles motivate that man to new heights; Ribbons was warned by the head of A-LAWS to avoid it, but Ribbons felt he could take advantage of it. And if it helps Ribbon's plan..." she shrugged lewdly.

"You'd sleep with humans for Ribbons?" Revive asked, skeptical. "I thought both of you had higher standards."

"Oh, don't start that," Healing retorted. "I have quantum brainwaves too, you know, Mr. 'She's good... for a human.' Don't try pulling high and mighty on me."

"Forgive me," Revive said with false sincerity. "I'm just surprised you would sink to my level, that's all."

"Well, it's not like it wasn't fun," Healing admitted. "Even if he does have that woman fixation. He wasn't that bad; more fun than Bring ever was."

"I thought Bring always rejected you," commented Revive.

"And his clones aren't much better," continued Healing. "What?" she asked Revive upon seeing his expression at the possibilities. "Can't a girl have some fun?"
I love how you write Healing/Hilling Care. Love you're Ali as well.

"That's just how I roll!"
Pray she never meets Athrun.
Dean_the_Young

Re: Gundam 00 Season 2 Anthology: Updated 3/28/09 (Ep. 24)

A little five-part I've had bouncing around since the middle of S2, but never had a good time to write. Broken into five parts because I'm like that. And the title is appropriate because I love Saji to death, it seems...

---

Four Time Saji Crossroad Died
And One Time He Did Not

---

B E C A U S E N O T H I N G C A N B E C H A N G E D U N T I L S O M E T H I N G E L S E I S B R O K E N

Their friendship had begun, and ended, with an offer of food. If he had known what would have resulted that day, Setsuna would have slammed that door shut as soon as it had opened. Better yet, he never would have returned to this safe house in such troubled times. But instead he chose to indulge in the peace that the other one brought and opened the door completely, allowing his Japanese neighbor to enter.

“I hope you don’t mind,” chattered the other boy, “but it’s just so empty at home now. Sis is on her investigation, and yet she still insists on leaving more than I can eat.” As he spoke, he unpackaged the raw materials that could be transformed into a passable meal.

“Where is Louise Halevy?” Setsuna asked softly, referring to the regular source of activity that accompanied Saji’s otherwise quiet life.

“She’s at a family wedding,” Saji explained easily. “She should be arriving in Spain any time now; apparently her entire family will be there, and she’s looking forward to seeing them all.”

“That’s good,” Setsuna intoned softly, though what about it was unclear. Marriage? A family reunion? Normal happiness?

But Saji didn’t dwell on it. “In fact,” he admitted, stepping away from the sparse kitchen, “I just got something for when she returns. Look,” he bid, taking out a small box and showing the rings inside.

“It looks expensive,” was all Setsuna could really say, but Saji wasn’t offended.

“It was worth it, if she accepts” he said with pride, blushing slightly as he returned to chopping the dinner preparations. “She really wanted them, she said.”

Setsuna said nothing, and a comfortable silence punctuated by Saji’s dicing fell until Saji let out a startled yip, bringing his hand to his mouth.

“What’s wrong?” asked Setsuna, though the blood was enough to say. Even before Saji could admit to cutting himself, the Kurdish former soldier was already looking at the wound with an experienced eye. “It’s not deep,” said Setsuna, “but you should dress it immediately.”

“I know,” Saji acknowledged, but was so surprised at the sight of Setsuna’s hands that he momentarily forgot his own discomfort. “Setsuna, your hands…” he said, and Setsuna realized he had shown the dozens of scars on his hands from his time fighting. Many were far too deep to have been from mere accidents.

“…were you a soldier?” asked Saji, coming too close to the truth. Setsuna took back his hands and looked away, back to the dinner fixings.

“Something like that. I’ll explain later,” he lied, trying to evade Saji’s confused glance. “Go clean the wound and dress it; you’ll find antibiotics and bandages in the bathroom. I’ll clean up here,” he said, taking the chance to avoid any questions.

Saji stumbled off into the hallway, and Setsuna did as he said he would, throwing the tainted food into the trash and wiping down the counter as his mind raced on how best to throw his guest’s query. But Saji hadn’t returned, and soon he realized that he hadn’t heard the sign of running water. A thought occurred to him, and then a flicker of panic rushed across his face, and he hurried to calm his fears.

But Saji was not at the bathroom. Unfamiliar with Setsuna’s apartment, he had taken the wrong turn, as if he had been his own apartment. He had not entered the restroom, but Setsuna’s own room.

A room in which Setsuna kept a plethora of media articles related to Celestial Being.

A room in which Setsuna had been going over recent reports of the Trinity interventions, which still lay on his bed.

A room in which Setsuna, immediately before the knock on the door, had been using his personal Celestial Being terminal to look over the classified data of the Trinity’s gundams.

A room in which he had, foolishly, left it exposed on his bed upon hearing that it was Saji at the door.

But even then, it needn’t have turned to tragedy. Even then, he could have lied, given a cover story about working for those interested in Celestial Being. He had Wang Liu Mei’s documentation to prove it. But Saji was too clever. Saji had seen his hands.

“You ARE a soldier,” Saji stated with eyes wide in shock and fear, oblivious to the trickle of blood dripping on the wooden floor.

A sense of peace or not, his mission security remained paramount. There was only one thing to do, no matter how much he detested it, no matter how much it would haunt his memory years later, until a blonde haired woman’s crying face was the last thing he saw as he was drowned in the fountain in front of Ribbon’s mansion.

Setsuna closed the door, and shortly after there was more than a trickle.

---

Saji Crossroad! Saji Crossroad!

Setsuna! What’s wrong? Wait, is that…?

The Haros came and brought me here, and I found him like this. Help me turn him over.

…I don’t see anything major. Good thing we aren’t in gravity, though. A fall from up there could have killed him.

Do you know what has happened? Is it serious?

I’m not sure, but I doubt it’s fatal; he’s breathing now, at least. Let’s get him to the medical ward, and have Anew look at him.

Saji Crossroad…

---

Official Jerid Fanboy
Thundermuffin

Re: Gundam 00 Season 2 Anthology: Updated 6/25/09 (Pt. 1/5)

Very interesting. And believable at that point. I don't think Setsuna would be connected to his own humanity yet to talk himself out of doing the "smart" thing.