The Official Gundam 00 Season 1 Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

sbester wrote:Come on, guys, leave the poor guy alone. It really does sound like he's unwelcome to post his thoughts here just because he's behind in the series. There is nowhere else really to speculate about things that have happened, and many of us are behind in it. Speculation is one of the most fun parts about watching a show, and excluding his thoughts and opinions because he's not as far along as the season 2 watchers is mean.
No one is criticizing anyone for being behind on the series. The problem here is that you can't "speculate" about what you think the second season should do when most of the season has already aired. If you want to speculate about what's left in the remaining episodes, that's fine, but you can't speculate about what's happened during the last 19 episodes just because you haven't seen it. It exists and has happened whether Duo has seen the episodes or not.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Imperial

The second season is well under way and no one can deny that, but hasn't this entire topic been operating under the presupposition that we aren't to court it?

We can say this or that doesn't happen thanks to the subs we've seen, but what harm could it do to let first-timers take shots in the dark? Why deprive them that? It's harmless discussion on a discussion forum.
This space for rent
Chris
Administrator

Imperial wrote:The second season is well under way and no one can deny that, but hasn't this entire topic been operating under the presupposition that we aren't to court it?

We can say this or that doesn't happen thanks to the subs we've seen, but what harm could it do to let first-timers take shots in the dark? Why deprive them that? It's harmless discussion on a discussion forum.
Because it's ridiculous to waste time "speculating" about things that have ALREADY HAPPENED. As I said, even though many of the people in this thread haven't seen season 2, that doesn't mean the thread is in a vacuum where season 2 doesn't exist. The point of this thread is to avoid spoiling those people on season 2, but they have to understand that the season they haven't seen is almost over, thus there's no basis for trying to "speculate" on what they expect, since it's already happened. I don't understand why this simple concept is such an issue for so many posters.
frezik

Chris wrote:
Imperial wrote:The second season is well under way and no one can deny that, but hasn't this entire topic been operating under the presupposition that we aren't to court it?

Because it's ridiculous to waste time "speculating" about things that have ALREADY HAPPENED.
Why is it ridiculous? It's all entertainment. Speculation is half the fun. It's only "ridiculous" in the sense that it doesn't produce a directly practical result. But that would apply to all forms of entertainment.

Even for those of us in season 2, it's likely that the remaining episodes are already in the last phases of production (if not done entirely). From the producers' point of view, these events have already happened and the rest of us just don't know it yet. It's just a matter of your point of view.
Chris
Administrator

frezik wrote:Even for those of us in season 2, it's likely that the remaining episodes are already in the last phases of production (if not done entirely). From the producers' point of view, these events have already happened and the rest of us just don't know it yet. It's just a matter of your point of view.
This is what's ridiculous. The episodes haven't aired yet, so speculation is fair game. But I've already made it abundantly clear that there's no point in speculating on what has already aired, and that is a waste of everyone's time here. You're trying to defend something that is really not defensible.
LightningCount

Chris wrote:...I've already made it abundantly clear that there's no point in speculating on what has already aired, and that is a waste of everyone's time here. You're trying to defend something that is really not defensible.
Just to play devil's advocate for a second here: This argument isn't entirely fair. Gundam 00 airs in Japan. If you're in Japan, maybe this argument is more valid; however, a majority of us do not live in Japan. Thus, we have to wait. And as such, the only way people are seeing "new episodes" is by peeking into the future via the internet and fan subs like never before. Theoretically speaking, no one should be watching the latest full episodes until they're officially aired or released on DVD in their respective country. Especially if said series has been licensed. So, in that way, I think speculation is open game.
laj12387

Gundam 00 part 1 out May 19. Eps 1-9. Gundam 00F comes with the SE set.
frezik

Chris wrote:
frezik wrote:Even for those of us in season 2, it's likely that the remaining episodes are already in the last phases of production (if not done entirely). From the producers' point of view, these events have already happened and the rest of us just don't know it yet. It's just a matter of your point of view.
This is what's ridiculous. The episodes haven't aired yet, so speculation is fair game. But I've already made it abundantly clear that there's no point in speculating on what has already aired, and that is a waste of everyone's time here. You're trying to defend something that is really not defensible.
But this viewpoint completely takes away a significant joy in watching the series for many people. And if you're not doing this for enjoyment, why are you watching it?

As LightningCount states, those of us who have been watching season 2 technically shouldn't, and wouldn't have been able to 15 years ago. Officially speaking, the US has only see season 1. If we're talking unofficial, then the complete story line for season 2 was likely worked out a long time ago, so by the logic above, any speculation there is just as ridiculous.

Therefore, this thread should indeed consider its discussion as if season 2 hasn't happened yet.
speedstriker

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but is there any news of the release of the DVDs as of now?

After watching various clips on Youtube, I've really come to appreciate the quality of the English dubs. I guess a few parts in the beginning of the show could use some improvements, but by the end of the first season, all of the VA's sound like they are "seasoned" veterans who came out victorious in the Great Dubbing war. English dubbing sure have come a long way since the days of Pokemon and Sailor Moon.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Sume Gai

if you look back a bit you'll see that I have posted the links to the Part 1 regular and special editions.

these contain the first 9 episodes and I have no clue what the difference between each version is.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
speedstriker

Sume Gai wrote:if you look back a bit you'll see that I have posted the links to the Part 1 regular and special editions.

these contain the first 9 episodes and I have no clue what the difference between each version is.
Really? Thanks a lot Gai. I see that they are releasing 9 episodes at once now. The world is truly changing for the better. Thank you Celestial Being and your armed interventions on anime DVD's evil sales technique!(ahem, Super Robot Wats cough cough) :lol:
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Sume Gai

long time since anyone posted in this thread If any of you are interested Bandai has put the first 3 uncut episodes of 00 on it's youtube channel.

dub 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RSeKeS ... re=channel

sub 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwcJs0aD ... re=channel

also I've confirmed what I suspected Aeolia is Char which makes the fact that he gave the Gundams the ability to turn red and go 3x faster rather amusing
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Wingnut

These are indeed free of Sci-Fi's butchering edits too. For example, the milk scene from episode three is in the video. (About 6:30 in, IIRC.)
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
T.V.

"Not available in your region" though. :(

I'll guess I'll have to wait for the boxsets to get legal access to the dubs.
Though I find it a little grating that a legal free-of-charge internet distribution/streaming service is still enforcing the region specific disparaty.
And here I thought that one of streaming's raisons d'être is to have easy access everywhere... :roll:
Sume Gai wrote: also I've confirmed what I suspected Aeolia is Char which makes the fact that he gave the Gundams the ability to turn red and go 3x faster rather amusing
Does anyone know already if Amuro's VA is likewise cast as Ribbons for the dub?
Though not exactly a neccesity for me, I'd still like to see the dub continuing the same VA injoke the original Japanese version does.

Seeing the "Char = Schenberg" being a new 'Dub Original Injoke', I'd like to think that that was also intentional on SCI-FI/Ocean's part.
Last edited by T.V. on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pd771

T.V. wrote:"Not available in your region" though. :(

I'll guess I'll have to wait for the boxsets to get legal access to the dubs.
Though I find it a little grating that a legal free-of-charge internet distribution/streaming service is still enforcing the region specific disparaty.
And here I thought that one of streaming's raisons d'être is to have easy access everywhere... :roll:
They have to enforce region locking because other companies own the rights in other areas. However, if you get a region free DVD player you could always play them.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Chris
Administrator

T.V. wrote:Does anyone know already if Amuro's VA is likewise cast as Ribbons for the dub?
Though not exactly a neccesity for me, I'd still like to see the dub continuing the same VA injoke the original Japanese version does.
No. Brad Swaile is playing Setsuna, and to have him be Ribbons too would be very confusing.
T.V.

Thanks for answering, Chris.
I didn't even knew Swaile was the voice of Amuro... :o
pd771 wrote:They have to enforce region locking because other companies own the rights in other areas.
I know, but perhaps I'm expecting too much (and too soon) from the licensors and regional partners to streamline their online distribution and advertizing efforts.

In this case the strict seperation of the different regions -albeit understandable when in comes to local distribution and sale of physical content such as DVD's and BlueRay Discs- can be actually a hindrance to overall Internet based sale and promotion, I reckon.
Especially for a niche market which Gundam represents globally outside of Japan.

When will they start to really Innovate? :P
Dark Duel

Chris wrote:No. Brad Swaile is playing Setsuna, and to have him be Ribbons too would be very confusing.
Of course, there's also Matt Ericksson(sp?), who did Amuro in Zeta.
But no, Dub-Ribbons is voiced by Yzak Joule. :shock:
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Meteoid

laj12387 wrote:Gundam 00 part 1 out May 19. Eps 1-9. Gundam 00F comes with the SE set.
Sweet, as long as the Japanese versions are on it I'm so getting that since it comes out on my birthday
Deus257

Bandai Posted the first 3 episodes, Japanese Audio with subs and the english dub. They're all uncut so we get to see the parts scifi edited out finally.