Ep. 030 - The Rogues Gallery

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 030 - The Rogues Gallery

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 030 - "The Rogues Gallery"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 85 min., 7 sec. (1:25:07) - 38.9 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News/Megacon Live Show Info"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:09:33

02. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:09:33 - 0:10:08

03. 1st Segment: "Gundam Round-Up!: Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo: The Hidden One-Year War"
Runtime: 0:10:08 - 0:32:36

04. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! - "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny" (featuring Austin)
Runtime: 0:32:36 - 0:33:57

05. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Spike VGA Awards: Best RPG?"
Runtime: 0:33:57 - 0:35:48

06. 2nd Segment "Gundam's Rogues Gallery - Top 5 Best/Worst Antagionists in Gundam"
Runtime: 0:35:48 - 1:18:18

06. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:18:18 - 1:20:01

06. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:20:01 - 1:25:07

Pardon the short episode, but with the showkiller of the Megacon episode on the way, consider this an appetizer of an episode before the main course that's soon comin'. ^_^

Discussed in this episode, we explore the first three episodes of the CG-animated Gundam OVA, "MS Igloo". Then we kick-it old school with the return of our short-lists, this time about out favorite and least-liked villians & antagionists featured in the Gundam franchise over the years.

More to come but in the meantime, enjoy!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - MegaConvention.com - Anime Sushi - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
CanadaMan

Good stuff and congrats on the big 3-0!

Ali Al-Sausage certainly gets a lot of love as one of the Top 5 Villains for Gundamn! but I agree with you guys, he sows chaos on the battlefield each and every time.

I subscribed to your Twitter feed, but turns out that Bell is the only mobile carrier in Canada that sends messages of updates to cell phones. And I am not with them.

Have fun at MegaCon, wish I could be there and hang out.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Ohmygodiamonfire

So what, I am the only one who thinks that the Zudah is awesome? :lol:
BTW, congrats on making it to thirty episodes!
ShadowCell wrote:"...we'll, uh, do the same thing that the original Neue Ziel did."
"Which is...?"
"Crash into stuff."
"...oh."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:So what, I am the only one who thinks that the Zudah is awesome? :lol:
So far. It was kind of a wannabe Zaku 1 that couldn't go the speed limit.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
CanadaMan

hawk of endymion wrote:
Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:So what, I am the only one who thinks that the Zudah is awesome? :lol:
So far. It was kind of a wannabe Zaku 1 that couldn't go the speed limit.
That being said, the Zudah did outrun three GMs. I don't know if the Feddie pilots died when their engines gave out, but that would keep with the "Zeon are good, Federation are bad" theme of IGLOO.
Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

CanadaMan wrote: That being said, the Zudah did outrun three GMs. I don't know if the Feddie pilots died when their engines gave out, but that would keep with the "Zeon are good, Federation are bad" theme of IGLOO.
But it blew up when it hit 88 mph.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
CanadaMan

Just because it wasn't a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor ...
I'm not defending the Zudah as a good suit or Zeon's brilliant idea to relabel it and pretend it's new, but GMs can't go 90 mph it seems ...
Twitter
Wingnut

To illustrate the point made about Kinue's reaction to Ali being similar to Faye's about Vicious, I bring screencaps of the events.

Faye and Kinue
Yeah, they knew they were in trouble. Lucky for Faye, Vicious still had a use for her alive, even if it was just as bait for Spike.

I also propose that "Low Rent Treize" become Alejandro's official nickname from now on.

And openly insulting the Guntank. :shock: That takes some serious guts.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

On villains... it seems like there are two broad categories of villains.

On one hand, there are the cool/sympathetic villains - the ones like Char that the audience can get into, and therefore can develop a fan following.

But closer to the traditional definition of a villain are the ones that the audience isn't supposed to like - the ones that are there for the audience to hate, and cheer when the hero kicks their arse. Example: Murata Azrael. I'm actually a bit surprised that Azrael made it onto two of your worst villains lists, as I felt he exemplified this category very well. The audience was clearly supposed to hate him, and given how happy I was when he died, I would have to say that the staff/VA did a very good job of that.

I definitely feel that villains you love to hate are at least as deserving of being on a "greatest villains" list as villains you love.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Vent Noir wrote:Example: Murata Azrael. I'm actually a bit surprised that Azrael made it onto two of your worst villains lists, as I felt he exemplified this category very well. The audience was clearly supposed to hate him, and given how happy I was when he died, I would have to say that the staff/VA did a very good job of that.

I definitely feel that villains you love to hate are at least as deserving of being on a "greatest villains" list as villains you love.
Obviously the audience is supposed to hate Azrael because of the things he does. But he fails as a villain because he never accomplishes anything. As Paul pointed out, Azrael only succeeds with what he does because Rau kept feeding him information, like the data on the N-Jammer Cancellers. Without Rau, Azrael was just a rich racist in a bad suit, and that's why he ended up on the "worst" lists, because he fails as an effective villain.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Qwerty

I'm surprised that Gihren Zabi or Bask Om weren't on any of your list. I agree with most of your choices on the best villains list except for Char the Massively Overated and Scirocco who I viewed to be a extremely boring villain whose who did nothing of importance in Zeta up until episode 46 and whose motivation for wanting to take over all of earth and space was "I'M A NEWTYPE AND A GENIUS SO I DESERVED TO RULE OVER EVERYTHING!"
JQuilty

I'm disspaointed none of you took a shot at Bandai Visual for their ridiculously overpriced IGLOO release.
Vent Noir

Chris wrote: Obviously the audience is supposed to hate Azrael because of the things he does. But he fails as a villain because he never accomplishes anything. As Paul pointed out, Azrael only succeeds with what he does because Rau kept feeding him information, like the data on the N-Jammer Cancellers. Without Rau, Azrael was just a rich racist in a bad suit, and that's why he ended up on the "worst" lists, because he fails as an effective villain.
You do have a point, although I feel even someone like that can be an effective villain. Since Vince McMahon got mentioned this episode, I'll point to Professional Wrestling as an example - there's a lont tradition there of having a heel who wins a championship through luck and/or cheating, and then spends his championship reign dodging strong opponents, cheating, and deliberately getting himself disqualified. The audience knows he's eventually going to get his comeuppance, and pays their money in the hope of seeing it happen (the classic example would be the Honky Tonk Man in the 80s, and Edge is a more recent one).

It's not typically a good thing for a Big Bad (although the main villain of Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small novels had some of these qualities, and I feel it worked fairly well), but it can be effective for sub-villains.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
ZeroBusterXX

I agree wholeheartedly that they need to tone down the Nazi symbolism in Gundam side-stories. I got into an argument about this on Gamefaqs a while back. Heck, me and my friend were talking about this yesterday in psychology class about 5 hours before I even knew this episode was out.

Now I am not going to stop seeing Ali as Hannibal Lector (at least I'm not imagining him as Holland or Shin's dad)

P.S. Wooooooh! My news made it in!
Chris
Administrator

JQuilty wrote:I'm disspaointed none of you took a shot at Bandai Visual for their ridiculously overpriced IGLOO release.
I think I've taken enough shots at them in past episodes, and given that Bandai Visual USA no longer exists, there's not much point in attacking them anymore.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kishiria

I had a moment of disappointment when I realized that Megazonecon or whatever it is will be in Orange County, FLORIDA, not Orange County CALIFORNIA.

Chris: Agreed on the Gundam Igloo. I wanted to love this series. Evil Zeon that I am, I did, but I couldn't. The Nazification was utterly over the top. It doesn't even make sense if you think about it; the colonies were filled with most of the population of Earth and most of the population of Earth is not German! What was puzzling to me was that everybody had German names but at the same time, the faces all had a distinct Asian cast to them.

Although there were at least two Quebecois in there: Jean-Luc Duval and Monique Cadillac were pure Montreal.

(BTW, Cima Garahau's beefcake second in command appears to be one of Gundam's small coterie of Jews; his name is Deitrov Kosel. He, Bernie Wiseman and Cameron Bloom don't even make minyan, so no davening in the UC for them!)

The upside: it was really sweet to see the UC in CGI. Finally seeing Char do the moves at the battle of Loum that made him famous was classic.

Segueing into Char, he's one of my least-favourite character in all of Gundam. Sure, he's stylish, but his ideas of what he stands for keep swinging around insanely. First he's out to avenge his father, then he loses interest in that more or less and only kills my girl Kishiria because it's convenient to do so. Then he joins AEUG, then he wants to free Earth, then he wants to destroy Earth--WHAT DO YOU WANT, CHAR AZNABLE??????

After that, I hate, loathe, despise and spit upon Ginias Sakhalin, the only character in Gundam who is possibly more self-centered than Char Aznable. Any sympathy I could have had for him ended when he poisoned and then blew up those scientists. He's a zoinking zoinker (that's not your censorbot, I'm using the word "zoinks" because it's funny) and I hope he got zoinked to zoinking zoink in the afterlife.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Destiny_Gundam

I'm not a Zeon fanboy, nor am I an OYW fanboy. Heck, I'm not even much of a UC fan either, but I did enjoy Igloo. I think the main appeal of it was the CG, which was pretty well done. I also agree that episode 2 was the greatest.

And don't worry Neo. One day, we'll hook up, you'll hop into your Guntank and I'll jump into my Baund Doc and we'll silence all those nay sayers!

For villains, I can only think up a top 5 best. In regards to the worst, I've either a) forgotten about them or b) their failure was what made them entertaining villains.

So, here's my top 5 favourite antagonists:

5.) Carozzo Ronah - Yeah, I know you guys don't like him, but all things F-91 are special to me because it was my intro into the Unversal Century. I think Iron Mask's actions are what elevate him as a villain. On top of unleashing the Bugs, there was also stuff like TEARING OPEN A MOBILE SUIT WITH HIS BARE HANDS. Flings his own daughter off into the depths of space, too. He's just heartless, like any good villain should be.

4.) Gym Ghingnham - This dude was pretty hardcore too. He just loved fighting, was voiced by Koyasu and had a badass mobile suit.

3.) Ali Al-Saachez - Not much more to add about him.

2.) The JDG-00X Devil Gundam - A monster, pure and simple. Everyone tried to control it, but it ended up manipulating them instead. Just an irredeemable beast.

1.) Rau Le Creuset - Go read my post on the SEED episode.

Yeah, that's right. No Char. I don't like him too much for the same reasons Kishiria stated. When I only knew him from First Gundam and CCA, I thought he was a pretty cool guy. But then I saw Zeta and I was all "Wait, why is Char being all nice now? What the hell? Why is he knocking back drinks with Amuro?"

Like Neo, I also have to send out an honourable mention to Jerid. I didn't much care about the guy at first, but after playing so much Dynasty Warriors: Gundam, he's grown on me. Plus, when I was rewatching Zeta, I found myself pretty pumped when he almost beat Kamille in one of the early episodes. He's a jerk at first, but once he has the humility to bow his head and ask for guidance, he becomes much more likable.

I'm finding myself becoming fonder of Scirocco too for the same reason (playing as him in DWG).

Now my final honourable mention, which will lead into the next roundup:

Kira Yamato.

That's right, he's technically an antagonist in Destiny. What sets him apart from the rest is that he actually WINS in the end. That's something he can hold over all the other members of this category.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Hyakushiki

Ali Al Sausage, the taste that is to die for! After that verbal botch this came to mind. Your description of the Zudah brought to mind a joke I heard once, that it was a mobile suit that tried to go three times fast but they forgot it wasn't painted red!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
hotlimit

Great episode as always, I'd just like to throw in that Scirocco is my favorite enemy and overall character for the reasons mentioned. I mean the guy made 2 of my favorite suits (The O and Palas Athene) in his spare time while owning people left and right, and then proceeded to fry one of the strongest newtypes ever with them.

More importantly, SOUL BRO: what is the song at 1:20:05!? I've been killing my brain over trying to remember.
Destiny_Gundam

On a similar note, what was with that obviously Canadian movie clip at the very end?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."