Ep. 028 - Marky Mark & The 30 Bunch!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

In G-Saviour related news, I just finished watching tonight's (2/9/09) episode of "24", and although she's not listed on IDMB as being in that episode yet, I just spotted Enuka "Lady Une" Okuma at the end of the episode. I thought I might have been mistaken but when I watched the beginning again, sure enough, I caught her name amongst the "Also Starring" supertitles. Craziness, since I just watched G-Saviour.

Another anime voice actor who known for his previous work with Funimation (including Younger Toguro in "YuYu Hakusho"), Dameon Clarke, was a guest star in the first episodes of 24 this season as well. when i caught his name in the "Also Starring" roster, I thought it was familiar and for once my memory came through. ^_^

Wonder who else is next? Brennan Elliott? :P
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

thanatos wrote:
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Oh, no! You said the magic word. Degrassi. Neo's adoration for that show is endless.
Has he been made aware of Degrassi: The Next Generation? It's just like the old show (whether that's a compliment or not depends on your opinion).
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Personally, You Can't Do That On Television had better sets than G-Saviour. YCDTOTV is the single greatest achievement of Canadian Television programming, so says this American. Only second to Danger Bay ^_^
What? No Reboot? No Kids in the Hall? Maybe they never made it down to the states.
I know about Degrassi: the next generation. Kids in the Hall made it down here and I think Reboot did also.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
The Fowl Sorcerous

I think only the first 2 seasons of Reboot made it to America.
Other excellent Canadian shows include:
Corner Gas
The Border
The Beachcombers
[[lorem ipsum]]
Hyakushiki

Actually Reboot season three did air on Toonami.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Leroy Landers

G-Saviour is like one of those awful movies Dr. Forrester would dig up to torture Joel/Mike and the bots with. G-Saviour is still not as bad as "Manos the Hands of Fate" (though that isn't saying much).
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Hyakushiki wrote:Actually Reboot season three did air on Toonami.
Thank you! that's where I remember it from.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

thanatos

Leroy Landers wrote:G-Saviour is like one of those awful movies Dr. Forrester would dig up to torture Joel/Mike and the bots with. G-Saviour is still not as bad as "Manos the Hands of Fate" (though that isn't saying much).
Awesome idea. Neo, Soul bro, Chris, you guys need to start a new video segment: "Mecha Science Theatre 3000".
Destiny_Gundam

Ok, time to finally tackle this monster of an episode. And since people people care what I think (lol) I shall post my answers to some of the questions:

"What's your Geass power?" It would be a field type (like Rolo's). Anyone hit with it would cease to recognise my existance. I would be completely invisible to those people. Draw back is that I would still be picked up on video cameras and stuff.

"Character you'd applaud." For me, it would be Hayate Yagami from the Nanoha series. People are so busy shipping Nanoha/Fate that they forget how great Hayate is. She refuses ultimate power to live a peaceful life instead and eventually puts a stop to a centuries old evil. When she grows up she's a commander of her own unit and a super powerful mage too. Plus, Kana Ueda is awesome.

Top 3 Gundams: the Destiny Gundam, Gundam F91 and the Gundam Exia.

Top MS: the GuAIZ

One good thing about Evangelion: It was revolutionary. Asuka is not a good thing. Crazy bitch. Rei is superior.

Most ruthless: I guess I'd say Rau le Cruset. The man wanted everyone to die.

Gad Guard was a good show. I liked it.

Worst mecha anime? Giniro no Olyssis (too lazy to check the spelling). It was pretty bad. The character drama was pretty ok, though. I'd also mention Kannazuki no Miko, but I actually loved that show (except the final episode).

Model kit experience: I only have FGs/no grades and 1/144 High Grades. My biggest project was the GN Arms Type E + Gundam Exia. I also have two Super Robot Wars kits: the SRX and the R-Gun Powered. Those had a lot more parts than your normal HGs.

I prefer model kits over action figures, cuz I like being able to build them.

One mecha cliche I could get rid of? None, really. I love cliches. I would like more female leads, though. I'd like to see less angsty leads too.

Funny deaths? In recent memory, Joshua from 00. Talked like he was so great but Lockon just casually shoots him.

Favourite anime no one's seen? Two recent titles are Koutetsushin Jeeg and Idolmaster Xenoglossia. Both great shows, but I rarely see people talk about them. Also, people need to give Linebarrels of Iron a shot. It's a lot better than people say it is. An older title would be Hades Project Zeorymer. It packs an amazing amount of character development into 4 eps and the mechs are awesome.

Effects of model sales on a series? Didn't Fukuda say he had Dearka switch sides because the Buster kits weren't selling?

VA I would watch a show for? Oh I have tons. Kana Ueda, Yukari Tamura, Nana Mizuki, Shizuka Itou, Rie Kugimiya, Aya Hirano, Mai Nakahara. On the male side, Toshihiko Seki, Jouji Nakata, and Norio Wakamoto.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
The Fowl Sorcerous

Hyakushiki wrote:Actually Reboot season three did air on Toonami.
I just remember hearing that ABC stopped airing it in the states and then there were a few backhanded swipes at the network in the series.
It's good to know you guys got to see season three (which was awesome).
[[lorem ipsum]]
MechaGear

Another great episode, guys, thanks! This was a blast to listen to.

I thought I'd weigh in with my own two cents on one of the opinions expressed towards the end of the call-in session; one caller asked you guys to comment about Tomino's tendency to include manipulative, vindictive female characters, as evidence of some supposed attitude of the director towards women in general.

I find this a problematic and one-sided assumption. In these shows populated by huge casts of characters and villains, there are many of both genders who are willing to deceive others to get what they want; for example, Char and Scirocco are male characters in Gundam who use their sexuality to manipulate those around them. And simultaneously, there are plenty of strong female characters in Tomino's works that exhibit bravery, sound moral judgment, even altruism (Emma Sheen, Marvel Frozen, Karala Ajiba etc.)

Asking "what does Tomino have against women?" is ridiculous. You might as well ask "what does Tomino have against men?" If anything, Tomino should be applauded for breaking stereotypes and including well-developed characters of both sexes, as heroes and villains alike. For example, characters like Sayla and Mirai could easily have just been "bridge bunnies," but Tomino gives them much more depth and consideration. Even people like Mouar from Zeta Gundam-- technically villains-- can come off as extremely likable characters that you can identify with.

Tomino certainly isn't a flawless director, but he's hardly a sexist.
hawk of endymion

Destiny_Gundam wrote: One good thing about Evangelion: It was revolutionary. Asuka is not a good thing. Crazy bitch. Rei is superior.
Revolutionary, huh? I think you might want to rephrase that statement. MSG that's revolutionary, creating a genre. Eva a good show worshiped by irritating fanboys, that's slowing losing it's reverence due to the actions of its creators for the sake of making a buck.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:Revolutionary, huh? I think you might want to rephrase that statement. MSG that's revolutionary, creating a genre. Eva a good show worshiped by irritating fanboys, that's slowing losing it's reverence due to the actions of its creators for the sake of making a buck.
If revolutionary = creating a new genre, then that certainly applies to Eva. The jury is still trying to figure out what the hell to classify it as.

Overrated as it may be, that doesn't change the fact that it took a whole new approach to giant robot shows. It did a lot of things previously unheard of, things that many shows have tried to emulate since. Every time I rewatch Eva, I still find a lot of the concepts are still fresh, even after so many years.

And I fail to see how its "losing it's reverence due to the actions of its creators for the sake of making a buck." You and Chris both are constantly bringing this up, but I think you're overreacting. Eva only has the original TV series + movie conclusions and now the Rebuild movies. And it's been apparent since the very beginning that the Rebuild movies would be significantly different (the initial announcement said how movie 4 would be an entirely new ending). Yeah, there's a bunch of mangas, but those are all in Alternate Universes and hardly a re-hash of the same story. And as Chris said at one point, manga is a pretty niche market so it doesn't have that much relevance to the flagship title.

I don't see how the constant DVD re-releases could cheapen the viewing experience either.

If Gainax is to be critisized for milking a franchise, that franchise should be Gurren-Lagann. It got a movie retelling barely even a year after the TV series aired!
T.V.

VentZX wrote:Best episode ever, and I'm not just saying that because I was on it.
I agree, and I wasn't even on it. :mrgreen:

Nice to actually hear other Gundam(n!) fans talking together.
Some of parts had me litterally laughing out loud behind my desk.

Great job on another episode well done, guys!
The G-Saviour segment was also hilarious. Destiny, I gotta agree with the Gundamn crew, you are way to soft on bad shows. But hey, it's up to you to decide what to like and dislike. About G-Saviour, I checked it out once, and honestly couldn't stomach it. It always baffles me when I see people say that they like the G-Saviour itself when it's such a plain design.

Despite Chris and Neo ripping the movie apart, I'm actually more interested in watching this 'gem' because of it. :P

I reckon G-Saviour tried to be a little bit of everything, ending up becoming nothing.
The comparison made to Emmerich's GINO got me thinking:

"G-Saviour - Not Even Gundam In Name Only."

As for the movie, it's perhaps a "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles" gone bad, if that's possible.
Harmony Gold outsourced its production to Korean based DR Movie, to get a "japanese anime" on the cheap.
Sunrise went to Canada, wanting a "live-action Hollywood production" on a budget.
And even then, the movie was made to fit UC continuity, appearantly in a move to please the domestic Gundam fans having intimate UC knowledge, while the Canadian production and english dialogue were meant to appeal an international audience with little or zero previous knowledge of Gundam.

"Distributing all your eggs over many baskets, isn't a sound strategy when you only have one egg to begin with," is what Sunrise learned the hard way.

That said, I actually quite like the mecha designs for G-Saviour.
The lineart that is, and not the incredibly bland CG models based on them.

What appeals to me regarding the G-Saviour itself is that it looks like a Cliff's-Notes-Gundam Gundam.
As if the idea behind it was to have the best known/liked Gundams rolled into one.
Evolving from the RX-78-like G-Saviour Ground Mode, to the US-airwaves-hitting Wing Zero-ish, G-Saviour Space Mode, while using the Gundam Mk II's Movable Frame concept as an in-between.

This retro-active evolution of course doesn't fit well continuity-wise, but that's what you get from entering a camel into a horse race.
Kavik Ryx

Just because of this episode, I'm going to watch G Savior.
thanatos

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Revolutionary, huh? I think you might want to rephrase that statement. MSG that's revolutionary, creating a genre. Eva a good show worshiped by irritating fanboys, that's slowing losing it's reverence due to the actions of its creators for the sake of making a buck.
If revolutionary = creating a new genre, then that certainly applies to Eva. The jury is still trying to figure out what the hell to classify it as.
I'm with Destiny_Gundam on this one. Eva has come to symbolized the trend in 90s anime to become darker, psychological, and more brooding. This is seen in shows like Gasaraki or Rahxephon. Whether Eva started the trend or is just the most prominent among similar show is open for debate.
I've got no problem with Eva, it's a great series. Fanboys may be annoying, but Eva fanboys are just as irritating as Macross fanboys, Zeta fanboys or Wing fanboys. I'm sure I've said it before, but it bears repeating: a show and its fan base are two completely separate entities.
hawk of endymion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:

Overrated as it may be, that doesn't change the fact that it took a whole new approach to giant robot shows. It did a lot of things previously unheard of, things that many shows have tried to emulate since. Every time I rewatch Eva, I still find a lot of the concepts are still fresh, even after so many years.
So, it created a genre that has no name and you are unable to classify?
A classic fanboy response when you no basis of an arguement except being a fanatic.

And I would have disagree that Eva was a complete new approach to robot anime and that the concepts expressed in it are still fresh. But, I'm sure you'll have some flim flam retort, can't wait.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:So, it created a genre that has no name and you are unable to classify?
A classic fanboy response when you no basis of an arguement except being a fanatic.
No, I simply don't know if a name has been agreeed upon. Pretty sure people are still arguing about it. At any rate, you can't shoe horn Eva into any pre-existing genre. It doesn't fit any mold.
hawk of endymion wrote:And I would have disagree that Eva was a complete new approach to robot anime and that the concepts expressed in it are still fresh. But, I'm sure you'll have some flim flam retort, can't wait.
Now you're just being snarky.

If you think Eva has lost its charm after the nth rewatch, that's fine, as it applies to you. It doesn't apply to me and a vast majority of others out there. That's why people still love it today. This is why Eva is considered a classic.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:If revolutionary = creating a new genre, then that certainly applies to Eva. The jury is still trying to figure out what the hell to classify it as.

There's nothing to classify. Making what is basically a super show with some real elements and random bits of religion and mysticism for aesthetics isn't revolutionary or a new approach. Being weird for the sake of being weird or artistic isn't a new approach either. Really, if you look at it, there is not a single thing in Eva that hasn't been done before. That's not to say it's a bad show, but it's certainly not revolutionary. Especially if "the jury" is still out 14 years later and can't see the show for what it is and isn't.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Now you're just being snarky.

If you think Eva has lost its charm after the nth rewatch, that's fine, as it applies to you. It doesn't apply to me and a vast majority of others out there. That's why people still love it today. This is why Eva is considered a classic.
Not being snarky at all, just stating the facts. It's very debateable if Eva really introduced that many new concepts into robot anime.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Destiny_Gundam

I guess it comes down to an age difference. You have the older generation of anime fans like Chris and Neo who had plenty of titles under their belt and then you have the younger generation fans like me who had never seen anything like Eva before.

There may be nothing in Eva that hasn't been done before, but I sure can't think of any other animes before Eva that combined all those 'done before' aspects together to create something unique.
hawk of endymion wrote:Not being snarky at all, just stating the facts. It's very debateable if Eva really introduced that many new concepts into robot anime.
I was only refering to your "I'm sure you'll have some flim flam retort, can't wait" comment as being snarky.