It's all in your head

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

It's all in your head

I notice that this section of the forums is taken to be kind of a drag by a lot of people. It's either really depressing news, or aggravating articles about live-action or something.

While this might be out of the box (almost literally), I wanted to try a topic where you could tell accounts of your dreams. Given, most of us forget everything as soon as we wake up, and the topic either has some interesting potential or none at all, given your input. Still, I think we should try to be sensible about things. Really boring or inane dreams shouldn't be brought up here, and I'm hoping nothing too disturbing either. Ever had someone recount a "profound" dream to you, only to be left bored out of your mind? Highly personal stories will be hard to relate with.

While this is not an open invitation for any psychoanalysis sessions, I suppose that sort of discussion can't be helped. But please, no one be an ass to anyone brave enough to contribute. And I guess I like this topic because I'm a natural storyteller. I'll try to keep it interesting, and for those of you who are not comfortable when conversations don't include something mecha related, I'll throw in some mecha related dreams, too. (Yes, that makes me an enormously huge dork, dreaming about MS.)

This first dream (from this morning) was unusually detailed and vivid. What was going on was Japan was invading America, and I was part of the defending force. The Japanese landed, and we had our defense line staring them down, no one had opened fire yet. We were in a lightly wooded area, with a dirt field between the two sides. One of our guys made a mistake and misfired a tactical nuke. To stop it from going off, we signaled for the warhead to be defused, so the shell ends up just hitting the ground, throwing a huge plume of dirt into the air.

The other side mistook that for a live round, so they begin shelling us with their artillery guns. This part was just a nightmare. I was standing next to a tank, and everything around me was blowing up and flying through the air. Hills and even soldiers that were just standing next to me a moment ago were gone in an instant. The whole time I was hoping as hard as I could that I would not be hit, bracing myself for how much it would hurt if it happened. It didn't. The shelling lightened up, and the other side went for a banzai charge.

I immediately dropped to a prone position with my rifle to keep a small profile. Using my sights, I think I got off like 3 or 4 shots, but I don't see anyone fall. Crap. And they were on us really fast, too, so I got up right after that and look at our commander for orders. He yells we need to fall back and look for weapons. Weirdly enough, the rifle that was just in my hands was gone. Even in the dream, I knew something was not right, and apparently very unfair! :lol: The two lines meet, and the soldiers begin to fight close range.

I run back, trying to avoid anyone before I could find something. I come to the back of a truck, and digging through it, I find a long steel pole with a kind of crowbar dealy at the end of it. It was silver, about four feet long, and surprisingly light for its size. With that in hand, I move through the fighting looking for what I can do. I come across Jet Li and Bac Luan (my ex-father-in-law, you can say. Yeah, what the hell, right??)

I engage Jet with the steel pole, and I think he had a pole, too. I'm moving a lot slower than I can think as I fight him, but I manage to outpace and overpower Jet. I knock him to the ground, and he knows he lost. I don't want to kill the guy, so I let him alone. I move on to get Bac Luan, and he's got a katana for some weird reason. (And if you know the guy, you would know how funny this is.) He couldn't use it for crap, anyway, but he sure was talking a lot of smack. Using the pole, I get him in a weapon lock chokehold move, pulling both the pole and his own sword against his neck. I'm hanging on as hard as I can, waiting for him to black out. Then my sister calls me and I wake up. Dammit.

You don't wake a man up in the middle of a fight! >.<

Your immediate reaction to this dream is: I beat JET FREAKIN' LI??? That is just so damn funny to me. It doesn't make any level of sense at all. I apparently have a lot of martial arts prowess in my subconscious.

I think this dream came about both from reading Areku's story (the political conflict) and also from talking to my other friend about Band of Brothers the night before (the detailed shelling sequence.) By the way, everyone with a TV and the ability to see needs to watch Band of Brothers. I can't explain the Jet Li/Bac Luan thing. But yeah, I love martial arts movies, and I guess I still have some unexpressed beef with the old man.

Anyway, I think this ended up a little too long. I was going to write out three additional dreams just right now, but I don't want to bog you guys down with all of that at once. I'll follow up with those later if we have any contributors here.

That's all for now. Have fun with it. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Areku

Re: It's all in your head

Seraphic wrote:I think this dream came about both from reading Areku's story (the political conflict)
I suspected that. Considering that many of my ideas for upcoming scenes came from dreams, you may want to be cautious about what you read. :razz: Especially once I churn out books 4 thru 7; there's some stuff in there that may not be pleasant to dream about (I normally stay away from the word "dark", but I think it fits some stuff in that).

Ah hem! Enough of that.

I seem to go through dreaming cycles, where I'll dream every night for a few months, and then not dream at all (that I remember, anyway) for a few months; rinse and repeat.

A recent "WTF" dream I had consisted of your typical zombie-story stuff. Ya know, some fast-acting, highly contagious, rabies-like disease that causes victims (whose brains and bodies rapidly decay) to pursue and bite/eat non-infected humans. We (myself and a few "friends" that I've never met) managed to survive within a city for several days, collecting an assortment of weapons and ammo along the way.

Then it got weird.

We'd logically concluded that it really was some mutant strain of rabies, but the zombies' behavior began to change after the first few days. They started to behave like a team, like they could communicate effectively, and they demonstrated individual intelligence and started to prepare traps. They started to arrange elaborate feints, seemingly to wear us down, they came from places we didn't expect them, and stole our supplies at every opportunity. Yet for all their seeming acquaintance with Sun Tzu, they always left one way out. Exactly one.

After a full week of surviving against them, we began to feel truly trapped, especially once our escape routes started to lead back to previous strongholds. Then they started to speak coherently, and they led one assault on us using the weapons they'd captured. They didn't shoot to kill, only to disable us (leg shots and the like).

It was then that they explained that it wasn't a disease, but a blessing. What we thought was a virus had actually been an alien invasion, and the extra-terrestrials themselves were single-celled bacteria. They themselves had no need to evolve, for they could cause adaptive mutations in any host they were to claim. What we'd thought to be a regression in intelligence was simply them adapting their hosts to their purposes, and they'd chosen us as "survivors" so that they could study humans in their unmodified from.

They kept us captured for several months, during which time they rebuilt the technology-base of much of the planet (seems they were technologically advanced themselves). Their bodies still looked rotten, although they claimed their host bodies had been "improved". They eventually hooked us up to neuro-simulators, which simultaneously presented us with a multitude of alternate scenarios, mostly dealing with survival situations similar to what had actually happened. One by one the simultaneous situations went away, leaving our brains dealing with one fewer "reality" at a time. Eventually, the only scenario left was our lives prior to the invasion.

The creepiest part: I was lying awake in my bed, eyes wide open and staring at the ceiling, and I don't remember any noticeable transition between being awake and the part of the dream where the second-to-last "reality" disappeared. :shock:

On the bright side, at least that type of dream is abnormal enough to be remembered, making my usual dreams normal by relation. :roll:
Wedge14

Mine isn't a wall of text. But I often have dreams that my teeth are falling out. Like constant all the time, weekly even.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
ORegan

Maybe your subconscience is telling you to take better care of your teeth? I get those too, and it's because I really should take better care of my teeth. >_<

I also get alot of dreams where I'm able to either fly or jump really high, but for whatever reason I can't control it and go extremely high up to the point that I get a headache while asleep, and I always land on my head in the dream which wakes me up....and I'm not even afraid of heights....
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
SNT1

My Dreams
Genre: Action-Adventure/Sci-Fi

No joke. My most usual dreams involve school exams or Final Fantasy or everything else that I overthink about/overanalyze, but once in a while I get into some very very in-depth dreams about killing things, or black holes. You know how some dreams you don't know how the continuation happened, or you just flat out forget when you wake up?

Not these special dreams. The most recent theme last year involved Gears of War and I am Legend and defending the house. Or a recent one when my class went into a hiking trip, someone accidentally pushes me down a cliff, and I find myself surrounded by two angry wild boar. And I was armed with two knives. Epic battle.

Blackholes usually just involve me walking around a spaceship, the bridge (it could vary, from a standard-looking Sci-Fi ship to a Final Fantasy Airship or even a ship made of Lego), and always near a black hole. Just sitting there.

Wow nerdy.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Antares

@Areku: Been playing Left4Dead much? ;) That would account for the first bit.

Last night I dreamed that I kidnapped some guy in broad daylight, right out of his car (he was a businessman of some sort), got the ransom, and made a clean getaway only to realize in my hotel room that I had left my prints on the steering wheel of a car I'd used and abandoned. I cursed myself for being so stupid as not to torch the car just in case and woke up when I rushed back for the car to wipe it clean.

Yes, apparently I have some latent psychotic tendencies. :D And I've seen many enough episodes of CSI to know those guys are good.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Fritz Ashlyn

Wedge14 wrote:Mine isn't a wall of text. But I often have dreams that my teeth are falling out. Like constant all the time, weekly even.
I have those sometimes, and sometimes it's just teeth that are really loose. I've heard it's from stress.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
quasadra

strange that you guys can remember it so well to write about it.

i have some harem dream around one per week. most often featuring all star cast, no real life celebtiry(i have no intrest in 3D girls?). these tend to involve stereotypical setup that put myself on what a protaganist in a harem anime would do... usually of those girl that made an impression on me of the show that i recently watch. since i am watching Kannagi and Toradora, i am sure Nagi and Ami will show up sooner or later... what is wrong with me anyway to have this kind of dream?

...this is the first time i share this with anyone...
Wedge14

Fritz Ashlyn wrote: I have those sometimes, and sometimes it's just teeth that are really loose. I've heard it's from stress.
I actually looked it up. There is a dream dictionary of sorts and the teeth falling out thing is a pretty common dream.

Dream Dictionary
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Areku

Antares wrote:@Areku: Been playing Left4Dead much? ;) That would account for the first bit.
That's the thing, the only "zombie game" I've played is RE4, and that was a long time ago. I also don't watch zombie movies on my own volition, and it's been a few months since my friend's last zombie marathon. I guess I'm just weird. :roll:
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

awesome! a thread about the realm of Morpheus/sandman (Sandman comics)
Wedge14 wrote:
Fritz Ashlyn wrote: I have those sometimes, and sometimes it's just teeth that are really loose. I've heard it's from stress.
I actually looked it up. There is a dream dictionary of sorts and the teeth falling out thing is a pretty common dream.

Dream Dictionary
falling teeth in a dream is considered a bad omen in my country, it means a relative (either a far relative or a close relative) or someone close to you is going to die, it happened once to my sister, she dreamed of falling teeth and the following next day, our uncle died :( freaky
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
G.Squirrel

I never really dream a lot, but my dreams are always short and weird.

I once dreamed that one of my roommates and I were sitting on our futon couch watching a made-for-t.v. movie, eating bowls of white rice with crushed red pepper flakes. We sit there, eating and watching the t.v. for a while, when I finish my rice bowl and rest it on my lap. My roommate turns to me and says "I have a massive boner right now" then we both turn back to the t.v. and finish watching the movie.

It was strange.
CheesyErwin

I don't quite remember what happened in my dreams, but one strange thing is that, all my dreams seem to took place within a "city" in my head.

Sometimes it's a mall, sometimes, it's a country park, and maybe a military base sometimes, but those places are always consistent whenever a dream took place in those locations.

Does anyone experiences the same thing as mine?
Wingnut

CheesyErwin wrote:I don't quite remember what happened in my dreams, but one strange thing is that, all my dreams seem to took place within a "city" in my head.

Sometimes it's a mall, sometimes, it's a country park, and maybe a military base sometimes, but those places are always consistent whenever a dream took place in those locations.

Does anyone experiences the same thing as mine?
Sort of. Not in a city exactly, but my dreams I remember do seem to be localized around one or two general areas.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Turinu

My dreams tend to be all over the place, from a simple house to a golf park to a space ship to an entirely different planet! Depending on what I'm watching or what I've read, it can easily have a great influence on my dreams, especially since I have an extremely untamed and wild imagination.

I mean, just the night before I had a dream about me and a group of friends being stranded on an island where it was constantly and violently storming, and we had to build shelters while trying to build a ship to get back home. (I'd been watching Uninhabited Planet Survive for the past two days).

Then last night, I had a dream of a "Family Get-together" at a golf park, where my entire family came to a golf park at night to golf and I spent the entire time trying to pull a freakin' gatorade bottle out of a vending machine, and it wasn't even a flavor I liked! (No clue where this dream came out of, XD).

My dreams are like night and day I say, so different and yet so similar at times. Also, I tend to have more than one dream a night, like a "transition effect", but most of the time one dream overlaps another in my memory, where I forget the first one. Some of the more exciting dreams I remember I write down into stories, and I have about ten to twelve fairly interesting tales written down that I want to flesh out into full-blown stories.

For example, that entire Desert Blossom story information I posted up back in 07' in the fanfic section was originally a dream I further fleshed out.
Mr. Hanekoma

I haven't had any real dreams for a while now (though I did have a case of sleep paralysis a few weeks back), but last year I had a frequently recurring dream. It was kind of similar to Areku's zombie dream, but much more traditional.

I always start out in a weird, off-white version of my house. It is boarded up like a traditional zombie survivor house (windows blocked, doors nailed shut, etc.). The only way in or out of the house is through the back door, which is literally covered with deadbolts and chains. Me and a friend (always one, but which one changed with each dream) are about to go on a supply run through the town, scavenging what food, ammo, and medicine we can before the zombies locate us. It seemed that the zombies had a hive-mind, so when one found us, they all swarmed to our location.

Anyway, we leave and go searching through the surrounding houses, with nothing really happening. Then, as we're about to go back into my house, we see one of my friends coming towards us down the street. He (or she; like my other friend, it changed with each dream) starts coming towards us, yelling for help. At that exact moment, a zombie turns the corner and sees the friend running toward me, but not me and my other friend. We debate whether to take the third friend in with us, or leave him to be mauled by zombies. Sometimes I wanted to leave him, but others I wanted to help. Regardless of what I wanted, we always ended up letting the third friend come in with us.

Needless to say, my house is promptly surrounded by zombies. What follows is a compressed version of Night of the Living Dead. Usually, it ended with the zombies getting through and graphically dismembering and devouring my friends. I eventually get cornered, and it is then that I see that the zombies are actually all my friends and family, led by my girlfriend (we've since broken up). I then get eaten alive by a mob of zombies.

However, and this is the strange part, the last time I had that dream, when the zombies got into the house, I had a shotgun and plenty of ammo. The zombies, instead of their usual swarming attacks, came at me one at a time, allowing me to blow them away. It eventually ends with a massive pile of zombies, and me and my friends are safe and alive. We then hear a military message playing over a shortwave radio and rush out to rendezvous with the coordinates the message gives. After I had this version of the dream, I never had it again. It's been over a year since I last had that dream, and I have no idea why.
They're high on the watchtowers
Keeping the peace, whatever that means
'Cause you see the world through,
Crosshairs and T.V.s don't you?
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

You guys are very violent. I have all of you had a zombie dream? :lol:

My dream last weekend went as one of those romance anime things (It wasn't in anime form though) where I was walking my friend home, but she lived close to a mile away and throughout the entire walk there was nothing but silence, no cars or lights or other people. Eventually we got to her house and she turned around said "Thank you, Bye." and walked into her home. I stand there for a few, and the door opens again she walks up to me. *boom* slaps me hard in the face. I fall, She picks me up by the shirt collar and very specifically say to me, "Touch my butt EVER again and you will die." Away she stomps into her house, I stand up (Dont remember falling again) rub my cheek, and walk back home. Halfway there I start cracking up for no reason until I hear my phone.. All of a sudden I'm awake, It's 3 am in the morning, and it really was my phone ringing. I take a look at it and its her. I now fear picking up the phone when she calls or pissing her off during the day.
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
The Big Zabowski

Looks like you have a subconscious crush on your friend there..

*Just thought of posting the Super Freud in Afghanistan comic..but that wouldn't be right, wouldn't it?*
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
ShadowCell

Also, I'm pretty sure it would violate a forum rule or two.

Even though it doesn't hurt as much as it looks like, it still really really hurts.
Strike105

My dreams usually revolve around games and anime. And since they are MY dreams, I have no choice but to be involved in some way. Last week, I dreamt (or however you spell it) about a creature war between the Malefactors from the The Suffering games and the Necromorphs from Dead Space, and I was somehow able to control the Malefactors. The dream ended with me just staring at a twin-bladed Slayer locking blades with a Super Cutter. Why did it end there? Mom woke me up to go to school, that's why. :evil:
Last edited by Strike105 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.