Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 23-11-10

The place to share your artwork.
Dynames

young_oldtype wrote:Probably my last time to double post in this thread. Gotta revive this babe.
AS Aelfgar Holland (Packard class)
AW-4 Fomalhaut
Very nice love the ship's design
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
SolidSpidr

Well my friend the Fomalhaut is one awesome beast I really wouldn't want to fight that without some heavy firepower of my own. Its design fits together really well. The Packard class is also a great design, very streamlined. Can't wait to see what you make next.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
young_oldtype

Redesigns:
Panther G-1
Rigel (final production type)
There you have it guys, more BS. My apologies for posting them, such abomination though they be.

@SolidSpidr: Nevermind that erroneously titled PM. I think I get what you mean now. Or did I?
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
young_oldtype

Sorry for double-posting crap again. My latest work:
YHF-52 Gendarme
If only flaming's not illegal...
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Looks like you and I are at about the same level of skill, barring some style differences. :lol:

I like this one, especially the design for the arms, rifle, and backpack. Is this inked, or is that still pencil? I have a hard time telling on scans.

As for your art, I think I have some general tips for you. You have a lot of potential problems with proportion and posture. Believe me, I struggle with this too. The best way to overcome this is to lightly draw out the entire posture before adding detail on top of things. It only takes a few moments, and is cleaned up pretty easily afterwards if you don't overdo it.

I don't know if this is a scaling issue, or just a stylistic choice, but as mentioned before, the legs tend to be on the small side. Your torsos and arms look a bit overscaled. The earlier tip will help with this as well. (And depending on your style choice, you may want to go study proportions in some official lineart.)

Props on sticking with notebook paper. That makes us brothers. =)

But I can't help but mention that you are letting the paper limit you in ways. I can tell by the scaling of your drawings that you are trying to avoid crossing lines or going over edges, but still want to draw the entire subject. What this forces on you is some bad proportions. For example, all of your right-hand guns up to date all look really small to me. That's probably because you have no more space towards the left side of the paper, and are forced to shorten the weapon.

What I recommend is to draw what you want, but leave it in good scale. Who cares if it runs off the page? If you want to display an entire weapon, just draw it next to your mech. It doesn't always have to be in its hand for the picture. It's just better practice. You also seem to avoid crossing those red lines on the notebook paper. Go ahead and draw right over them. I swear, no one gives a crap. You seem to know how to clean off the notebook lines anyway, so this won't be too much on top of it.

Take this as example. (I'm not showing off. It's just one of the few things I've saved the orginal raw scan for.) I've got stuff everywhere, right? Go ahead and cross over lines and edges. The better thing is that the subject looks to be drawn properly. The only bad thing to watch out for is the holes in the paper, haha. Oh, and kudos on your good hand-writing. Mine looks like illegible chicken scratches. (Yeah, and weirdly enough I always draw on the back of the notebook paper.)

If you're still having problems with the paper, then the best thing to do is just move on to a larger canvas. I hope that helps you out some.

Keep up the hard work. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll try hard, too. =)

Oh, and I'll arrange so that you won't need to doublepost again, if you know what I mean. :wink:
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
young_oldtype

Seraphic wrote:Looks like you and I are at about the same level of skill, barring some style differences. :lol:

I like this one, especially the design for the arms, rifle, and backpack. Is this inked, or is that still pencil? I have a hard time telling on scans.
It's inked. Probably looks like pencil since I adjusted the brightness and contrast to at least blur out the notepaper lines.
As for your art, I think I have some general tips for you. You have a lot of potential problems with proportion and posture. Believe me, I struggle with this too. The best way to overcome this is to lightly draw out the entire posture before adding detail on top of things. It only takes a few moments, and is cleaned up pretty easily afterwards if you don't overdo it.
Did that on the legs till I got to the foot (Can't decide on the leg design). Man, righties do get art problems, no? Thanks anyway, that's a good tip. I'll try my best to do that next time on the entire body.
I don't know if this is a scaling issue, or just a stylistic choice, but as mentioned before, the legs tend to be on the small side. Your torsos and arms look a bit overscaled. The earlier tip will help with this as well. (And depending on your style choice, you may want to go study proportions in some official lineart.)
If I study Zeonic MSs, would that help? On the arms, I don't know but I tend to like drawing them that way, and I do intentionally enlarge the hands for unknown reasons.
Props on sticking with notebook paper. That makes us brothers. =)
Haha, quite traditional eh? LOLz.^^
But I can't help but mention that you are letting the paper limit you in ways...That's probably because you have no more space towards the left side of the paper, and are forced to shorten the weapon.

Exactly the case. I guess I'll be abolishing my 6-4 rule(6 lines above, 4 below). I've been using that to scale the design with the previous ones.
What I recommend is to draw what you want, but leave it in good scale. Who cares if it runs off the page? If you want to display an entire weapon, just draw it next to your mech. It doesn't always have to be in its hand for the picture. It's just better practice.

Now that. That is a good idea! These two certain Panthers really need that stuff.
You also seem to avoid crossing those red lines on the notebook paper. Go ahead and draw right over them. I swear, no one gives a crap. You seem to know how to clean off the notebook lines anyway, so this won't be too much on top of it.

Uhh, no, no red lines. They just tend to cover a large area.
Take this as example. (I'm not showing off. It's just one of the few things I've saved the orginal raw scan for.) I've got stuff everywhere, right? Go ahead and cross over lines and edges. The better thing is that the subject looks to be drawn properly. The only bad thing to watch out for is the holes in the paper, haha.
Did I just see Valsione Mk. II!?:P
Oh, and kudos on your good hand-writing. Mine looks like illegible chicken scratches. (Yeah, and weirdly enough I always draw on the back of the notebook paper.)
Nah, that's just a Courier knockoff. The real one's quite smaller and would probably require glasses for the average reader. The long-hand version's more like a crypto.
If you're still having problems with the paper, then the best thing to do is just move on to a larger canvas. I hope that helps you out some.
I've been working on 8.5x11 photocopy paper sometimes. If only I could get over my affection with that big yellow notebook...
Keep up the hard work. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll try hard, too. =)
Thanks. Same thing for you Seraphic. Banzai!!
Oh, and I'll arrange so that you won't need to doublepost again, if you know what I mean. :wink:
:P :P [/quote]
Heheh, I think I get it...:twisted:If I put new stuff in DA, you'll know it's time. :D Anyway, thanks again, your tips will help a lot.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

Hahaha. No, Gita is an actual woman! A character in a non-mecha story.

Jeez, gearheads can't get those mecha out of their minds. :roll:

I can't blame you so much though. A lot of my mechanical design tendencies carried over when I drew her armor. -_-; Anyway, that's enough about me....

Banzai!!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

young_oldtype

I ain't much of a Ryusei yet though.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Draco Starcloud

young_oldtype wrote:Sorry for double-posting crap again.
Double-posting's cool here in Art and Multimedia as long as you're posting new stuff.

I like your Gendarme, though (I don't know if it's just me or not) the legs look a little short. I like the rifle though; looks like it's set up so that lefties and righties can use it two-handed.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
young_oldtype

Hmm, maybe I made the torso a bit too long for the legs. Or the legs are just short? :?

Anyway, on the double-post thing, I found out last night that it actually is legal after three days, so, violation is zero. :wink: And yes, the rifle can always be held by two hands.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Ryujin

young_oldtype wrote:Hmm, maybe I made the torso a bit too long for the legs. Or the legs are just short? :?
Imho, the torso, starting above the groin, is a bit too bulky. Using the notepad lines as a guide, you can see that the legs, from heels to the bottom of the groin, take up 8 spaces, the groin itself takes up 2 spaces, while the rest, up to the top of the head, takes up another 8 spaces. If you're after the look of a classically-proportioned, MS-like humanoid mecha, then torso + groin + head should be approximately equal in height to the legs from the heels up to the bottom of the groin. In addition, the torso shouldn't be wider than the hips (assuming the shoulders are considered part of the arms, not the torso).

On the other hand, your proportions work relatively well for a Votoms-style unit although, as I see it, you'll still have to tweak the width of the upper torso a bit.
young_oldtype

I'm not really aiming for MS proportions though, but I guess that's worth experimenting on. :)
Ryujin wrote:On the other hand, your proportions work relatively well for a Votoms-style unit although, as I see it, you'll still have to tweak the width of the upper torso a bit.
Which means, I suppose, I'll make it a bit narrow then? I'll try that out on the next design.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Ryujin

This page might also be of some help...well, either that or confuse you a good deal.
young_oldtype

Ryujin wrote:This page might also be of some help...well, either that or confuse you a good deal.
I can't read entire Japanese paragraphs but well, that sure gave me some ideas. A fair deal indeed, and thanks. :D

And wait, Katoki did Temjin? Or was that just a redesign?

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Ryujin

young_oldtype wrote:And wait, Katoki did Temjin? Or was that just a redesign?
Aye, Katoki did a lot of the mecha designs for Virtual-On (the majority, if not all, of the Virtuaroids iirc).
young_oldtype

Ryujin wrote:Aye, Katoki did a lot of the mecha designs for Virtual-On (the majority, if not all, of the Virtuaroids iirc).
So it's still his stuff I'm using as reference years ago. And I won't be surprised if he also designed my two other faves, Viper II and Raiden.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

This thread's getting a bit dusty and it's just about time for some friggin' updates.

Now children, here's another remake (and the third one at that):
HF/A-01G-2 Panther G-2
Well, friends have been asking me to make stuff with real big guns and so, there we have it children, a dedicated artillery mech. Useless in close combat, but great in cowardly attacks from a great distance. And for the curious ones' sakes, here's how that thing fires its cannon.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

I promised to comment on every new entry! I have not forgotten!! =o

Your drawings look like they're growing in complexity and detail. =) Let's just hope that you don't get to a point where you're overdoing it in pointless ways like I am.

I see that you're still using the same posture and proportions. It makes the Panther seem more machine/beast-like than human-like, but I guess that if you haven't tried to change this yet, then it must be just a stylistic choice of yours. Have you noticed that all of your drawings look like they're leaning forward??

I do have a suggestion though. I think the head on the Panther looks like it's somewhat misplaced. It doesn't fit in with the feel of the rest of the frame. How about you try widening the collar and lowering the head into the torso some. Make it look even more beastly.

The legs look great on the second drawing! I am EXTREMELY surprised at the precision of the lines on your weapons here. You must be using a ruler, huh? I'm here just eyeballing everything like a dumbass. :roll: The spike/stand on the gun is slightly awkward in design/implementation, but I guess it gets the job done. Most pod/leg things are attached closer to the muzzle in most modern guns. That would provide better lift/support for the weapon.

What happened to those other things you made? Not going to post them in your own thread?

*wcch!* =o
-Antares

young_oldtype

Wow, haha, thought I'd triple post the next time I'd put up another mech.:D Well, quote-listing time.
Seraphic wrote:Your drawings look like they're growing in complexity and detail. =) Let's just hope that you don't get to a point where you're overdoing it in pointless ways like I am.
You're not overdoing them that much though, I swear. Well, the more the merrier. Same goes to lineart details, although I can't do any more than panel lines, screws and a few extras.
I see that you're still using the same posture and proportions. It makes the Panther seem more machine/beast-like than human-like, but I guess that if you haven't tried to change this yet, then it must be just a stylistic choice of yours. Have you noticed that all of your drawings look like they're leaning forward??
Well, I've been tracing the basic Panther. :D I think that explains much. And yes, I make it stoop a bit to show the shoulders. I need some fixing to do on the missile launchers though.
I do have a suggestion though. I think the head on the Panther looks like it's somewhat misplaced...How about you try widening the collar and lowering the head into the torso some. Make it look even more beastly.
Yes, thanks for pointing it out, I think I see where the problem is. A third variant is on the works so that's where I will put the fix. I guess widening the collar would be the better solution, and I think I'll try lowering the head too, as a lot of hydraulics are exposed in the neck area.
The legs look great on the second drawing! I am EXTREMELY surprised at the precision of the lines on your weapons here. You must be using a ruler, huh?
I've used a few quidelines there actually with, guess what, my school ID.:P
The spike/stand on the gun is slightly awkward in design/implementation, but I guess it gets the job done. Most pod/leg things are attached closer to the muzzle in most modern guns. That would provide better lift/support for the weapon.
The body should be lowered the least possible while giving angle to the weapon since the leg shape won't probably allow kneeling. And so, this was achieved by placing the gun's center of gravity near it's rear end, by giving the bipod such position. Also, the right arm got tweaked up hydraulics so I think that should do well in lifting the gun.
What happened to those other things you made? Not going to post them in your own thread?

*wcch!* =o

Uhh, those guys in my scrapyard? I believe I got them posted on page 1. The next mecha lolis would be posted here soon by the way (though I believe they sell better at Random). Watch out for the Black Tristars!:lol:

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

17-04-09

I don't have any original design to show right now but rather, I had this mech its designer, an online friend, asked me to redesign. And so, I ended up with that gun-spamming quad. If you're asking where the original is, I believe I put a link right there in my own comment.

Okay, so all I need is a flame now. :P
Last edited by young_oldtype on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis