Ep. 026 - Milquetoast Buffet

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 026 - Milquetoast Buffet

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 026 - "Milquetoast Buffet"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 110 min., 06 sec. (1:50:06) - 50.4 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: AmuroNT1 (2nd Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:11:11

02. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! - "Turn-A Gundam"
Runtime: 0:11:11 - 0:12:23

03. 1st Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Season Two: Reviews of Episodes 1-3"
Runtime: 0:12:23 - 0:53:19

04. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:53:19 - 0:53:54

05. 2nd Segment: "Gundam Round-up!: New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz"
Runtime: 0:53:54 - 1:14:20

06. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:14:20 - 1:16:00

07. 3rd Segment: "All The Soul Bro's Men: A Character Study"
Runtime: 1:16:00 - 1:44:17

08. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Life Lessons with the Blue Bomber"
Runtime: 1:44:17 - 1:45:29

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites"
Runtime: 1:45:29 - 1:50:06

Kicking off the new year just in time for the return of many to school and assorted jobs is the first Gundamn! of 2009, Episode 26! In fine fashion we finally rip into the first 3 episodes of the new season of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00". AmuroNT1 returns as guest commentator on yet another popular entry in the Gundam franchise as the Round-up lands upon "Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz"! Last but not least, Neo & Chris spearhead an inquiry on what qualifies assorted characters the moniker "My Man" from fellow co-host, Soul Bro Ryu.

Mad props to The Hod, bestower of Argamas, for that topic suggestion, by the way! ^_^

Happy New Year & much thanks for listening!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MySpace - FaceBook - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
JQuilty

Good to see you guys did a "Soul Bro's Man" segment. This was long overdue. :D
TheGoose

Seems like all my favorite websites have been updated. I'll listen once I get home from school and study away those monster known as exams.
CanadaMan

"Can there be a show without a Man for SoulBro?"

Great episode guys, that was pretty fast. Not trying to press your luck with the 00 Season 2 Reviews or just making sure you have things to talk about next episode?

And just in time before SoulBro's birthday eh?
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Wingnut

I couple things here if I may, Louise never got her hands on an Ahead until she got Soma's as a hand-me-down. She was always piloting a GN-XIII until that point.
Also you can probably get away with saying "Jinx" instead of "Gee En Ex" like they did in season one to avoid tongue twisters and no one would really mind.

About the throwing away the Gundams into the sun, I agree that the Preventors could have kept them in case something happened. Many a fanfic, and even the old RPG, Andorra under OZ that we had going some time ago, has done exactly that. Finding replacement pilots in case the original 5 didn't want to do it might be a problem, but nothing that Une and Noin couldn't handle.
Also one of the mangas does show that the block they were sending off was a mobile suit production factory for advanced mobile dolls, so it wasn't just J. Random Rock they put them on to chuck into the sun.

And what the narrator likely meant is that humanity will no doubt still have conflicts and wars, but this was the end of all conflicts and wars that used mobile suits. That's what I got out of it anyway.

Will post more as I finish the episode.

Edit: Definately the Jamming Birds, and the kicker is that the one that tried to get in Myline's pants, has the same VA as Hikaru.

And the page is for Fan Nicknames in Anime. Scroll down to the Gundam section. Low-Rent Char is also on the list.
King Arthur - The Gundamn! podcast's nickname for Saji Crossroad.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Areku

Another great episode... except for the worst music selection in Gundamn! history! Really, using the song Strike, the song that played while Tieria saved Setsuna's ass in episode 26, to close out the "My Man" segment? Ugh! Bad Soul Bro, bad! :P:roll::wink:

And I suppose the Not-Reviews from the last episode have spoiled me, but the summarizations for individual episodes stuck out as especially weak and unattractive this time around. I say the summarizations are probably unnecessary and not worth the effort and air-time that goes into them, but that may just be me.

I haven't seen Endless Waltz recently enough to really comment on it, but you summed up my general thoughts on it.

Look at the bright side, Soul Bro, you and your tastes have been kicked enough that you can expect a reprieve, at least until your next ridiculous statement... like trying to claim Jamil Neate as a "My..." anything. (At least you repented for that sin on the spot.) :P

I think I speak for the entire listener-base when I say that the Straight Talk Express is always welcome. If John McCain is done with it, I say we pool some money, convince him to part ways with it, and then fix it up until it's the Gundamn! Custom Straight Talk Express, complete with a Fact Checker suite and other unspecified Straight Talk equipment, minifridges, a hi-def entertainment center, and a jacuzzi. Then it can once again be used to set wrong-sayers straight... in style.

Keep up the good work, Gundamn! crew!
wielder

Nice job, as usual. :)

These shorter episodes just fly by but they're still longer than most podcasts, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Chris made a very good observation about how 00's second season just jumped right back into the action without wasting any time, working from and beyond the bits of the new status quo we saw at the end of the first season. I liked that a lot and the show deserves plenty of praise for keeping up the pace.

Geass season one didn't have the benefit of a glimpse into the future, but the whole time slot change issue is what got in the way of giving us a quick re-load. Taniguchi himself makes it clear in that infamous interview, specifically when he talked about how 25's cliffhanger had been written with an "episode 26" (and the same slot) in mind. In other words...we could have had it all, to put it one way. I know that's been discussed to death, but there it is.

Back to the rest of the show. For whatever reason, I didn't actually get to see Endless Waltz...so whenever I actually attempt to re-watch Wing that'll be worth keeping in mind. The ending sounds a little too idealistic as a concept, yes, though it may be worth checking out.

As for Soul Bro's men...Jun from Nadesico was a great pick. :lol: I was wondering if Sray from Orguss would be a possible candidate, being annoying, rash, clingy, underqualified and more...but maybe he's still a little too good for him in the end.
tonto

Good job guys. Don't worry soul bro my girlfriend relates to the loser guys too. Wait did I say losers I meant heroes in the making.

So since we are rocking some more discussions I think it is about time we had the conversation many of us been waiting for. Yes I am talking about the Red Comet been waiting for that since day one.
The Loser Villain

Great episode guys! Awesome to see a return to user submited topic, especialy the topic of Soul Bro's Men. Great stuff.

Also, happy to hear my name for Saji's Meisterfication made the show. First time mentioned! :o
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Areku wrote:I
I think I speak for the entire listener-base when I say that the Straight Talk Express is always welcome. If John McCain is done with it, I say we pool some money, convince him to part ways with it, and then fix it up until it's the Gundamn! Custom Straight Talk Express, complete with a Fact Checker suite and other unspecified Straight Talk equipment, minifridges, a hi-def entertainment center, and a jacuzzi. Then it can once again be used to set wrong-sayers straight... in style.

Keep up the good work, Gundamn! crew!
The Straight Talk Express is ready to go for 2009, don't worry, it was idle for the holiday season. Looks like we'll be making better use of it than the previous owners.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

Areku wrote:And I suppose the Not-Reviews from the last episode have spoiled me, but the summarizations for individual episodes stuck out as especially weak and unattractive this time around. I say the summarizations are probably unnecessary and not worth the effort and air-time that goes into them, but that may just be me.
The same thought had actually occurred to me as well. I preferred jumping right into the discussion of each episode at the end of season 1, rather than going back to more detailed summaries for season 2. We might do the not-review style in the future, as I think it flows more smoothly and gets to the meat of the discussion quicker.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
thanatos

Areku wrote:I think I speak for the entire listener-base when I say that the Straight Talk Express is always welcome. If John McCain is done with it, I say we pool some money, convince him to part ways with it, and then fix it up until it's the Gundamn! Custom Straight Talk Express, complete with a Fact Checker suite and other unspecified Straight Talk equipment, minifridges, a hi-def entertainment center, and a jacuzzi. Then it can once again be used to set wrong-sayers straight... in style.
You forgot about putting an antenna on top and painting it red to make it 3x faster.
Areku

Chris wrote:The same thought had actually occurred to me as well. I preferred jumping right into the discussion of each episode at the end of season 1, rather than going back to more detailed summaries for season 2. We might do the not-review style in the future, as I think it flows more smoothly and gets to the meat of the discussion quicker.
That's the word I was looking for, "summaries". I knew "summarizations" sounded wrong and over-complicated. :roll: I'm glad my complaint has fallen on sympathetic ears.
thanatos wrote:You forgot about putting an antenna on top and painting it red to make it 3x faster.
Hmm... I'll leave the paint scheme up to those who'll be using it, but I did forget to mention the frozen yogurt dispensers and the ultracompact Minovsky reactor. Such troublesome things as sugar- and fuel-deficiencies are no match for the Gundamn! Custom Straight Talk Express!
Kavik Ryx

Kaifun? That's just cruel and unusual. He is perhaps the only character in Macross who is 100% dislikable with no redeeming traits.

Wait, I've got one. Gavlet Gavree (or whatever his name was) from L.Gaim.
Areku

Oh, yeah, what about a "Man" in Fafner. I can't readily remember who, but I swear there was some minor character that just reeked of it.
Battosai28

Chris wrote:
Areku wrote:And I suppose the Not-Reviews from the last episode have spoiled me, but the summarizations for individual episodes stuck out as especially weak and unattractive this time around. I say the summarizations are probably unnecessary and not worth the effort and air-time that goes into them, but that may just be me.
The same thought had actually occurred to me as well. I preferred jumping right into the discussion of each episode at the end of season 1, rather than going back to more detailed summaries for season 2. We might do the not-review style in the future, as I think it flows more smoothly and gets to the meat of the discussion quicker.
I've also thought for some time that the summaries are a bit unnecesary. Sure I listen to them, but I seem to notice myself zoning out a bit. For a spotlight of an entire series, it may be a good idea. However, for individual episode reviews, I think that they are unnecesary because the vast majority of the people who are listening have already seen it. For instance, I have not seen Macross Frontier yet, and skipped every single review (Don't worry, I'm going to go back and listen to them once I do get to see it)

On a lighter note, and in order to celebrate the spotlight on
Turn A Gundam, I began thinking of some possible candidates for Soul Bro's man. Off the top of my head, I came up with Bruno, Jacob, and any of the hippi's (take your pick)
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Chris
Administrator

Battosai28 wrote:On a lighter note, and in order to celebrate the spotlight on Turn A Gundam, I began thinking of some possible candidates for Soul Bro's man. Off the top of my head, I came up with Bruno, Jacob, and any of the hippi's (take your pick)
Bruno, Jacop and even the Red Team are too awesome to be Soul Bro's men. It has to be someone even weaker, maybe one of Loran's hometown friends from the Moon.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Battosai28

Chris wrote:
Battosai28 wrote:On a lighter note, and in order to celebrate the spotlight on Turn A Gundam, I began thinking of some possible candidates for Soul Bro's man. Off the top of my head, I came up with Bruno, Jacob, and any of the hippi's (take your pick)
Bruno, Jacop and even the Red Team are too awesome to be Soul Bro's men. It has to be someone even weaker, maybe one of Loran's hometown friends from the Moon.
Haha, now that is cold Chris. To say that even the Red Team is too awesome will definately get some response out of Soul Bro. It has been quite some time since I have seen the series, so I forget how important some characters become. Two possibilities I have thought of are Agrippa or possibly even the minor Borjarnon pilots who somehow thought it was a good idea to go back to Earth on their own. The only reason why I thought of Agrippa is that he reminds me a little bit of Yuna Roma Seiran from Destiny. They are both anoying leaders plotting for control, but I seem to remember taking Agrippa much more seriously. Anyways, those are just two more options.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Areku

Chris wrote:Bruno, Jacop and even the Red Team are too awesome to be Soul Bro's men. It has to be someone even weaker, maybe one of Loran's hometown friends from the Moon.
How 'bout Keith? Keith is certainly a cut above Soul Bro's other "men", but he has a lot of the main traits (underdog, something of an everyman, and not too terribly tied down to either warring faction; he's just trying to get by). He's not a perfect pick, and is more appealing than his potential peers, but if Keith doesn't fit as Turn A's "Man", I don't think anyone does.
Wingnut

Another on the list of SBR's men. From Metal Armor Dragonar: Those three pilots that follow Meio Plato around like little puppies. Dan, Karl, and Welner. They do become somewhat respectable for the final arc, but until then they're a trio of weenies who are best described as "preppy" with too much attitude for their own good. They really get retribution when they have to try and get supplies from Gon Jem and his men.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.