Ep. 004 - Makin' Waves & Gundam in Gaming

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Hero_Raymond

I personally despised Amuro's mom. She had problems. She let him go into space without him, and then disowned him after he tried to protect himself against some Zeons. Worst mom ever?
thanatos

There's a serious lack of Christina Mackenzie in this discussion. Who could resist her girl-next-door charm? Just don't sneak around her house at night ^_^ Her only problem is that there's only so much a person can be developed in 6 episodes.

Aina Sakhalin is another character that had great potential. I just didn't like how she was an aristocratic lady who also piloted mecha. Those two personalities don't mix. I mean, you never saw Icelina Eschonbach at the hands of an MS. She could barely fire a gun.

Relena Peacecraft doesn't deserve to be on a best list or a worst list since she wasn't much more than a blank slate onto which you could project anything. The whole school girl to queen of the world idea is pretty ridiculous though.

Tifa Adil is the same. She never really did anything besides her paintings and a few kind words. She seemed to be more of a device for spurning the development of characters around her by constantly getting kidnapped/sending the Frieden into some terrible situation.

Reccoa Londo is a character I never particularly liked. She passed up a relationship with CHAR for Scirocco. What kind of woman would reject him? Maybe it's just my Y chromasome that makes it impossible for me to understand her.
Destiny_Gundam

thanatos wrote:Reccoa Londo is a character I never particularly liked. She passed up a relationship with CHAR for Scirocco. What kind of woman would reject him? Maybe it's just my Y chromasome that makes it impossible for me to understand her.
Reccoa didn't reject Char. Char wasn't giving her the attention she wanted, so she went to Scirocco (who I guess was giving her the kind of attention she wanted).

Or something.

A lot of characters' actions made no sense in Zeta Gundam (especially the women's). One of the reasons I don't particularly like Zeta Gundam.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kavik Ryx

I never quite got why people say that about Zeta. I could just be me, but what characters did often fit them in some way or another. In Reccoa's case, she has probably developed a clingy personality from losing her friends and family. Thus all of the plants, the risk taking, and latching on to authoritative men like Char and Scirocco. Her actions fit her personality well, especially since it was never about the politics. In the end, the conflict going on inside her, made her very sympathetic. Though I can go on and on. Characters acted in the way that would benefit themselves either personally or politically, albeit incredibly bluntly, which can seem somewhat forced.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Reccoa didn't reject Char. Char wasn't giving her the attention she wanted, so she went to Scirocco (who I guess was giving her the kind of attention she wanted).

Or something.

A lot of characters' actions made no sense in Zeta Gundam (especially the women's). One of the reasons I don't particularly like Zeta Gundam.
When it comes to relationships, or just life in general, a lot of things that people do doesn't make any sense, so you can't really call that a knock on Zeta. Some women like men who are dicks like Scirocco, so it makes perfect sense that Reccoa would be attracted to a man who treats her like crap, given her past.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Tuxedo Mark

Chris wrote:Reccoa didn't reject Char. When it comes to relationships, or just life in general, a lot of things that people do doesn't make any sense, so you can't really call that a knock on Zeta. Some women like men who are dicks like Scirocco, so it makes perfect sense that Reccoa would be attracted to a man who treats her like crap, given her past.
That doesn't explain why Reccoa switched sides, betrayed her former crew, and gave the order to gas a colony and MURDER MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE, and THEN blame her former crew for being "just too late" in stopping her.

And what's all of this crap about Scirocco making her "fulfulled as a woman" and Fa saying what Reccoa did is what a lot of women would have done?

Emma's the only one to call that crap, so of course she dies...in the...stupidest...way...possible!

Yeah, I don't care for Zeta.

Tomino, if he had any sense, would have undid Reccoa's betrayal/death and Emma's death in the movie compilation trilogy.

Kamille getting a happy ending isn't enough. I don't care for Kamille anyway.
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
Chris
Administrator

The series does explain why Reccoa betrayed everyone - she was a rebel without a cause. She was a guerilla in the OYW, then she ended up in the Federation Forces, then drifted to the AEUG. They make it pretty clear that she does things because she likes to put her life at risk - she's not in the AEUG because of any political belief or hatred of the Titans. What I think people fail to understand is that Reccoa is basically an attention whore with a self-destructive personality. People who are unstable do incredibly stupid things. She wanted the attention of Char, and he didn't give it to her, so she gravitated to Scirocco. She was hesitant at first about doing dirty work for the Titans, but I think in the end she justified it by saying she has no choice because there's nowhere else to go. That of course doesn't justify her actions, but like I said, she's clearly unstable and doesn't strike me as the type to think of these things far in advance.

Emma dying stupidly is an issue for a whole other day... like I said in the podcast, I do like her despite that moment of ignorance.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Tuxedo Mark

The thing is the whole "rebel without a cause" and lack of "fulfilment as a woman" (Goddess, I hate that phrase) are things that we didn't lean about Reccoa until far into the series.

And she seemed perfectly stable to me until she met Scirocco. Then everything about her went "WTF?".
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
Kavik Ryx

Well, before she met Scirocco, she did have her plants as an escape mechanism, and she was probably still certain that she could be with Char. Also, her whole character was a personification of the self fulfilling prophecy of sexism. She symbolized self destruction and stagnancy, while Emma represented the ability to move on and change, being fulfilled as a woman and a solider without being conflicted. About her exiting the MK II, while kinda stupid, on a tactical standpoint it made some sense, because in the Gundam she was more likely to get shot by Yazan.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Very, very nice episode guys! I see this episode spawned a lot of discussion! :lol: You inspired me to make my own list BWAHAHAHA!! :lol:

No not really. I do have to agree with what you said about Cagalli. She is one of my most favorite characters from SEED. And then they personality assassinated her in Destiny. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm also glad that Soul Bro? mentioned Noin. She doesn't get enough love. :D

I LOVED that Gundam game for Dreamcast! DREAMCAST LIVES!!! :twisted:

More good stuff guys! On to the next... um, epicast!

Oh and did you guys like any of the Gundam Battle Assault games?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
animalia

Karen Joshua

I am not sure if anyone has said this yet but Karen Joshua is not from Gundam 0080 but The 08th MS Team.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Karen Joshua

animalia wrote:I am not sure if anyone has said this yet but Karen Joshua is not from Gundam 0080 but The 08th MS Team.
Did we say 0080, sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
animalia

You're Welcome
thehod

I actually liked the Gundam Battle Master games. But my #1 was of course Gundam vs Zeta Gundam even though Federation vs Zeon had a nice OYW campaign mode.

Ground type Gelgoog > Any GM
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

thehod wrote:
Ground type Gelgoog > Any GM
Guntank>everything else.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke