Ep. 024 - Simon's Quest

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Battosai28 wrote:ahah! So the dirty little secret about the sweatshops of Gundamn have finally been unearthed. Maybe MAHQ really IS the Walmart of mecha websites.
I don't know about that, but it was appropiate for Soul Bro to edit the Gurren Laggan episode underground.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
thanatos

Battosai28 wrote:ahah! So the dirty little secret about the sweatshops of Gundamn have finally been unearthed. Maybe MAHQ really IS the Walmart of mecha websites.
Does that mean I can finally get a Gundamn! t-shirt? Now getting it on an episode of COPS is one step closer to reality.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

thanatos wrote:
Does that mean I can finally get a Gundamn! t-shirt? Now getting it on an episode of COPS is one step closer to reality.
Maybe.

Whatever way you go about getting on COPS is all you. Just make sure the shirt makes the shot.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

thehod

Hey Neo, dont think you can spare another DUI? You can have the Gundamn! Tee then (I listened to your Drunk driving story on flip the script)
NightFall

thehod wrote:Hey Neo, dont think you can spare another DUI? You can have the Gundamn! Tee then (I listened to your Drunk driving story on flip the script)

:D
I think I recall said story! The m c donald's one?
Ohmygodiamonfire

NightFall wrote:
thehod wrote:Hey Neo, dont think you can spare another DUI? You can have the Gundamn! Tee then (I listened to your Drunk driving story on flip the script)

Ronald Mcdonald is Neo's bitch.
ShadowCell wrote:"...we'll, uh, do the same thing that the original Neue Ziel did."
"Which is...?"
"Crash into stuff."
"...oh."
hawk of endymion

For the record, I do not have a DUI. Thank God for good lawyers. That was awhile ago and I don't do things like that anymore. So I won't be the one on COPS.

Plus, I wasn't even drunk, I was having a beer while driving.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

NightFall

Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:
NightFall wrote:

Ronald Mcdonald is Neo's bitch.
lol That's right!
So what news station should we have neo bring down next?
NightFall

hawk of endymion wrote:
For the record, I do not have a DUI. Thank God for good lawyers. That was awhile ago and I don't do things like that anymore. So I won't be the one on COPS.

Sure neo sure.. :lol:
hawk of endymion

NightFall wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:

Sure neo sure.. :lol:
Well, enough of my transgressions. let's not forget about the topics in episode 24.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

The Chief

Another great episode guys. Gundamn made driving cross-country tolerable. I was really happy to see a Gurren Lagann segment. I totally agree with what Pedro was saying about it. I've shown the series to a few people now, who had never seen anime before. Now they're addicted. It's that great jumping off point. One last thing, did anyone else freak out when Lord Genome popped up in episode 27 beside me. I mean he's there with those red eyes. It's freaky. Sorry about the rant.
XBL GT: Gladiator 01
PSN: ShadowWolf117
thehod

Well I have to say the anime look into Gurren Lagan has peaked my interest and I definitely need to pick up the DVDs.
thanatos

thehod wrote:Well I have to say the anime look into Gurren Lagan has peaked my interest and I definitely need to pick up the DVDs.
I'm really disappointed that they didn't release it on Blu-ray. There isn't any anime series that deserves the Blu-ray treatment more than GL. Once it does come out on that format, I WILL buy a Blu-ray player/PS3 if I haven't already.
Areku

Sorry for the delay in my response on this episode, but it's your own gundamn fault. :P

Like with Code Geass, I'd heard a lot of praise for TTGL, but it was vague and fanboy-ish. Back in high school, I had this friend that simply would not shut up about something he liked, so now I have this pseudo-complex where the more vague praise I hear for something that I haven't yet experienced myself, the more inclined I am to dislike it even if it is awesome. Sure, I'd seen a few episodes of TTGL on the Sci-Fi Channel (all within the 3rd arc), and while they managed to catch my interest a little, they were probably the least likely episodes to give me an idea about what TTGL was all about, and all the praise I'd heard for it held me back from getting into it. Enter Gundamn!, which goes into great detail about these shows, taking all that accumulated "negative praise" and substantiating it. Thanks to you guys, I've become interested in several shows that I'd been avoiding like some kind of alluring, seductive disease, with CG and TTGL being the most notable and exceptional among them.

So, I ordered the available dubs, which took a few days to get here. And I loved it! I couldn't wait to see episode 15 -- even the short amount of time it would take to download would have been too long -- so I drove over to Best Buy and picked up the second and third sub-only DVDs.

I doubt I'm the only one who's been moved by this podcast into purchasing anime that I hadn't been previously interested in, and it will probably be a sad day for the mecha anime industry when Gundamn! eventually signs off for good. Lord knows you've already (unknowingly) coerced me into feeding the industry a few hundred dollars that would otherwise be hoarded by my wallet!

Anyway, I'd been looking forward to the Roundup on 08th MS Team, but I thought your TTGL segment stole the show. I'll just say that I liked 08th MST a lot, with it being my 4th favorite Gundam animated production (following X (which I'm really looking forward to in episode 25), G and 0080) and that I thought you once again did a good job of covering it, and I'll leave it at that.

*Spoilers from this point onward*

TTGL... Boy did I have fun with this. First, I have a highly heretical thing to say: Kamina was pathetic. Not pathetic in the sense that he was lame, for he was definitely an interesting and fun character, but that I pitied the man. Almost from the instant I saw him in the first episode, I had the impression that his boisterous attitude and seemingly limitless drive and confidence were little more than a counter-weight to a haunting emptiness within himself. That is, that Kamina acted the way he did because it was the only way he could think of to resist a deep sense of worthlessness and fear. I think that the one true glimpse we got into him, even more than his account of the cave-in, was when he froze in episode two. The thought of losing, of dying, seemed to completely overwhelm and terrify him, and with no one else around, his weakness and sense of terror and helplessness came straight to the surface. That's not to say Kamina is "weak weak weak" by any stretch, for he had tremendous strength in his ability to simply ooze confidence and tenacity, but he still had a profound amount of insecurity and self-doubt and even outright fear. The reason why I say that he had minimal self-esteem is due to the manner in which he garners this confidence and tenacity. He seems to summon strength not from himself, but only from others. Two of his trademark phrases, "Believe in me who believes in you" (and the variations on this) and "Who the hell do you think I am?", emphasize this total reliance on others. In the first phrase, which he also applies to himself, it shows that he has difficulty envisioning people directly deriving confidence from themselves. In the rare event that he simply tells someone to "believe in yourself", he seems compelled to follow it up by telling them to route that confidence through others; even his dying words to Simon are to "believe in the Simon who believes in you". In the other example, he seems to derive confidence through disproving others' expectations of him, which also implies an inability to simply have faith in himself. Overall, I can't help but think that Kamina is remarkably flawed, but I still have great respect for his greatest strengths.

In a lot of ways, I see Kamina as an alternate take on Simon (or vice versa). Whereas Kamina has a unique ability to instill confidence and motivation in others and pushes them along with their own abilities and strengths, Simon is able to do so by example and pulls them along with his faith in himself. Other than that, they seem remarkably similar.

Like D_G, I don't see why people seem to hate Rossiu. He did his best to save as many people as he could through his own means, and if this weren't an anime, what he did would be the surest way of saving anyone.

And heck, I even had to admire Lord Genome's efforts to preserve humanity. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I got the impression that Earth as he had established it was just an attempt to find (and help create) the most powerful spiral warriors possible, and then put them through the most rigorous trials within his ability to create, all designed for honing their skills before their inevitable encounter with the Anti-Spirals, and he stood as their final training obstacle. I thought this was especially apparent when he made Viral immortal; if Lord Genome himself was immortal, what need would there be to create an immortal Beastman to tell of his triumph?

Anyway, I have more that I'd love to comment on, but I'm tired of typing and everyone else is probably tired of reading, so I'll leave it there. TTGL was a great experience, and beyond just being completely over the top and awesome, I thought it was bursting with valuable meaning, symbolism, and was even quite inspiring and motivational. And, of course, I'd like to thank Gundamn! for persuading me to watch it!

Oh, and awesome job, Pedro. Here's to hearing more from you in the future.

EDIT: P.S.: The Straight-Talk Express really needs it's own sound effect and/or jingle.
L.U.T.A.

Cause u made me do it....

After hearing part of the segment about, Gurren Lagann I found it hard to not start watching the anime that I never really intended to watch. Like code geass, watching part of the first episode, I was not impressed with it and put it off forever. But also like code geass I caved in to the advisement of the gunDamn crew and proceeded to be enlightened by this series. Even though this is finals time, I have never been more pleased with an intermission in studying. The journey of a boy becoming a man almost made me cry (if I wasn't in a cafe filled with people I would of). I just want to thank the gunDamn crew for their review which was basically the launch catapult for me into this series. (as well as many other... Macross (all except 7), Geass, and most of all ms gundam). Chris I can't tell you how much you've influenced my life with this site. I know this is probably another annoying fan to you. But I feel it is of great importance to show my appreciation.

~All the way from Wing(2000) to Lagann(2008),
Loyal MAHQ Fan L.U.T.A.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Cause u made me do it....

L.U.T.A. wrote:Chris I can't tell you how much you've influenced my life with this site. I know this is probably another annoying fan to you. But I feel it is of great importance to show my appreciation.
It's not annoying at all. If the recommendations on Gundam expose people to new shows and bring them enjoyment, I'm happy to hear about that.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Chief

Areku wrote:
EDIT: P.S.: The Straight-Talk Express really needs it's own sound effect and/or jingle.
This!!
XBL GT: Gladiator 01
PSN: ShadowWolf117
Kavik Ryx

I am probably going to get some flak for this, but even though I like the 08th MS Team, I'd venture to say that it is among my least favorite Gundam series. I know it was going for something, but along the way was detracted from its original focus. Personally, I thought the Apsalus was too powerful for the nature of the show. While the battle itself was well done enough, it really takes away from the fact that this whole series supposed to be in a sense insignificant.
wraith1701

Great podcast, Gundamn!maniacs. 08th MS Team is actually my favorite Gundam OVA, so it was great to hear your take on it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Thanks for taking the time to put out such a great mecha-specific podcast! Y'all are the best!
hawk of endymion

Areku wrote: Enter Gundamn!, which goes into great detail about these shows, taking all that accumulated "negative praise" and substantiating it. Thanks to you guys, I've become interested in several shows that I'd been avoiding like some kind of alluring, seductive disease, with CG and TTGL being the most notable and exceptional among them.
Well, that's what the vision of Gundamn is all about. The three of us are fans of mecha shows, but not fanboys. No matter how much we enjoy a show, we know that nothing is perfect and will not appeal to everyone. We do the Anime Spotlights to expose people to shows they may not have been interested in. I believe the three of us are fair and open minded enough to give any show a shot and that's what Gundamn is about. The biggest compliment that we receive is from non mecha fans who listen to the show and say "wow, i couldn't stop listening and I'd like to check out these shows." All we're trying to do is promote the genre and some the great shows within it. I'm glad we helped you get pass the rabid fan-boyism that exists now with every show.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]