Ep. 024 - Simon's Quest

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Destiny_Gundam

Vent Noir wrote:I reckon there's a definite case for both of those counting as mecha (as I've said before, Nanoha is a mecha show disguised as a magical girl show)
Nanoha has robots and cyborgs, and Strike Witches are mecha musume. They count.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
snoops619

An 8 hour Gundamn...looks like i'll be pulling a sickie that day...
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
MechaGear

There's another way to think about the last episode of 08th MS Team that may be interesting.

08th MS Team's original director, Takeyuki Kanda, was also the director of Vifam-- a mecha series about young children lost in space, surviving on their own against the backdrop of a brutal war.

As we all know, he died tragically partway through production of 08th MS Team. For Japanese audiences who were likely more familiar both with Kanda's past work and the news that he had passed away, the final episode may have had a stronger resonance in how it evoked feelings from an earlier, well-known series of his.

I certainly can't confirm this, but I feel that the final episode may have been a sort of homage to Kanda, added at the end of the series by the director who took his place, as a way to show his respect. It also could have been an idea originally planned by Kanda himself, and I'm sure under his direction it might have been implemented more smoothly.

At any rate, I think the idea of the episode itself is actually very interesting, but I'm sure we can all agree the execution was lacking.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kavik Ryx wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote: Just wait though, in 2009, Gundamn will do an 8 hour episode.
I take it that one will involve an extended roundup of Macross, a look a mecha designers, and a rundown of your least favorite characters in anime. :mrgreen:
Don't worry, Macross roundup is coming.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

That is indeed a remix of "Turnabout Sisters", beatmined by Mohrdikai of YTMND.com. For those who don't know he's been remixing beats from Phoenix Wright for a while and lacing a capella recordings from Jay-Z (who I'm not a big fan of) to make hilarious sketches on YTMND (NSFW, BTW):

- The Hova Turnabout

- The Hova Turnabout II (A Masterpiece, especially in the production)

- Hova Turnabout Sisters (just a remix, not a sketch, but it's where I lifted the beat).

- Hova Turnabout Sisters Instrumental (on Megaupload, for those interested)

It's amazing what you can find on the internet when you're not looking for stuff, and this was something I definitely stumbled upon. Plus I own every game in the Ace Attorney series and am a old school hip hop head that collects instrumentals. So you can imagine that coming across this was pure gold for me. ^_^

I hope to produce beats like this one day from anime & game soundtracks. There's so much beat potential there that I can't believe it hasn't been tapped into already. A crying shame to say the least. BTW, if anyone can give me pointers on what programs to use in order to do so, please email me here at the boards at [email protected]. I can use all the help I can get.

Mad thanks and good ears, gentlemen :)
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mostlyjoe

I'd love to see a redo of the original but with MS08 Mecha designs. Less flying merging weirdness and a tighter military story. Maybe a touch on the plot from the books in a recon-retelling.
Soul Bro Ryu

Mostlyjoe wrote:I'd love to see a redo of the original but with MS08 Mecha designs. Less flying merging weirdness and a tighter military story. Maybe a touch on the plot from the books in a recon-retelling.
Right now, the manga "Gundam: The Origin" is the best rendition of this you can find. If you can find it. Viz cancelled the line years ago, but there are copies of it on Amazon still up for grabs. Plus, it is an awesome read.

Hope you can check it out
Soul Bro Ryu
Mostlyjoe

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Right now, the manga "Gundam: The Origin" is the best rendition of this you can find. If you can find it. Viz cancelled the line years ago, but there are copies of it on Amazon still up for grabs. Plus, it is an awesome read.

Hope you can check it out
I remember those! :D I actually have a few. They were awesome.
thehod

Chris wrote: Peter's Pedobear Party Podcast. :P
try saying that 3 times fast
thanatos

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
Mostlyjoe wrote:I'd love to see a redo of the original but with MS08 Mecha designs. Less flying merging weirdness and a tighter military story. Maybe a touch on the plot from the books in a recon-retelling.
Right now, the manga "Gundam: The Origin" is the best rendition of this you can find. If you can find it. Viz cancelled the line years ago, but there are copies of it on Amazon still up for grabs. Plus, it is an awesome read.
The Gundam Lost War Chronicles manga is another good one. It has a lot of the same ground-type mobile suits that you see in 08th MS Team.
Battosai28

Sorry guys, but thanks to finals and other obligations, I haven't been around. Anyways, great episode and I'm digging the TTGL love.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Battosai28 wrote:Sorry guys, but thanks to finals and other obligations, I haven't been around. Anyways, great episode and I'm digging the TTGL love.
You've only missed 14 hours of reviews.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Soul Bro Ryu

Battosai28 wrote:Sorry guys, but thanks to finals and other obligations, I haven't been around. Anyways, great episode and I'm digging the TTGL love.
Good to see you back, even if your visitin', man. I'm just glad that you're still listening. And Neo's right, if anything, it feels like 14 hrs.

TTGL is a riot, btw. Hope there's more series like that one in my Anime-watching future. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
hawk of endymion

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Good to see you back, even if your visitin', man. I'm just glad that you're still listening. And Neo's right, if anything, it feels like 14 hrs.
No, the actual reviews are 14 hours towards the end it felt like 28.

BTW, Soul Bro, why are you on the surface? Get back down into the editing mines!
Last edited by hawk of endymion on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Battosai28

hawk of endymion wrote:
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:[
Good to see you back, even if your visitin', man. I'm just glad that you're still listening. And Neo's right, if anything, it feels like 14 hrs.
No, the actual reviews are 14 hours towards the end it felt like 28.

BTW, Soul Bro, why are you on the surface? Get back down into the editing mines1
Haha, thanks guys.

Being on the call in episode gave me a huge respect for what Soul Bro does in that mine of his. I remember one or two people being kicked off of Skype during the recording, and none of the whispers in the background about it were present when it was released. A tip of the hat to you sir, Stephen Colbert style.

And if this episode had been a call in, I would have also commented on all of the great pokes TTGL took at real robot shows. My favorite one is the comment Gimmy makes when he sees how much better the GL (the outdated prototype) is fighting compared to his Grapeal (the newer mass produced version). He aparently did not know the #1 real robot rule, and that is the prototype is always better than the mass produced version.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
hawk of endymion

Battosai28 wrote:
Being on the call in episode gave me a huge respect for what Soul Bro does in that mine of his. I remember one or two people being kicked off of Skype during the recording, and none of the whispers in the background about it were present when it was released. A tip of the hat to you sir, Stephen Colbert style.
That was because Soul Bro was locked away in the editing room.

Here's a little insider knowledge about Gundamn. When we complete a recording, Soul Bro is locked into an 8' X 10' room buried 20 feet underground. The only items in this room are the editing equipment, a Ryu plushie, and some provocactive drawings of Emma Sheen. Unfortunately, me and Chris sometimes forget to let Soul Bro out and that's why some episodes are a little late.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:Unfortunately, me and Chris sometimes forget to let Soul Bro out and that's why some episodes are a little late.
You sure it's not because he's too busy drooling over Emma to get any editing done?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Battosai28

ahah! So the dirty little secret about the sweatshops of Gundamn have finally been unearthed. Maybe MAHQ really IS the Walmart of mecha websites.
hawk of endymion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Unfortunately, me and Chris sometimes forget to let Soul Bro out and that's why some episodes are a little late.
You sure it's not because he's too busy drooling over Emma to get any editing done?
Maybe, we replace them with pictures of Quess instead.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Battosai28 wrote:ahah! So the dirty little secret about the sweatshops of Gundamn have finally been unearthed. Maybe MAHQ really IS the Walmart of mecha websites.
If MAHQ is the walmart of Mecha websites, it is the ASDA side of Walmart meaning top quality with a British Mentallity
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE