Ep. 022 - The Geass Menagerie

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
V2Buster

Have fun waiting for Frontier to ever air on TV over here in North America.
Chris
Administrator

LightningCount wrote:I am excited for your GUNDAM WING roundup. I'm hoping you guys will give it a fair shake. It gets way too much undeserved hate in my opinion. In some ways, I think it could be said it has the best Gundam has to offer mixed into it. Though, while it has UC elements in it, they were remixed and blended with unique elements in powerful ways. Just a few include:
Wow, that's a really long list, and in some of those examples, I think you're giving the show far more credit than it deserves. I'd have to disagree with a lot of it - one example being the "intense action" but we'll get into that more when we get around to doing the show.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kavik Ryx

Chris wrote:
LightningCount wrote:I am excited for your GUNDAM WING roundup. I'm hoping you guys will give it a fair shake. It gets way too much undeserved hate in my opinion. In some ways, I think it could be said it has the best Gundam has to offer mixed into it. Though, while it has UC elements in it, they were remixed and blended with unique elements in powerful ways. Just a few include:
Wow, that's a really long list, and in some of those examples, I think you're giving the show far more credit than it deserves. I'd have to disagree with a lot of it - one example being the "intense action" but we'll get into that more when we get around to doing the show.
Personally, most of those reasons seem to make Wing annoyingly pretentious. But that's neither here nor there.

About G Gundam, bless me Neo for I have sinned. I would have to agree with Soul Bro on G being a lot more pure, namely because the show is still multi layered and intricate without being convoluted or trying to juggle too many things at once. Everything about it has a sort of elegance to it. Though I can't tell if the show is taking itself seriously at times, and if it is, does it make it hard to swallow or endearing?
LightningCount

Chris wrote: Wow, that's a really long list, and in some of those examples, I think you're giving the show far more credit than it deserves. I'd have to disagree with a lot of it - one example being the "intense action" but we'll get into that more when we get around to doing the show.
Fair enough. I look forward to the next installment. (Regarding the action note, I imagine you're speaking of some of the reused footage early on in the series. But, perhaps not. Either way, I would contend that the battles (not just in mecha, but on foot) had more of that exciting "anime magic" choreography in them than most earlier Gundam TV series. I cleaned up that GW laundry list and added a few more points, so we'll leave it at that for now). Peace!
thanatos

Seraphic wrote:I've been listening to Frontier, Geass, and 00 reviews even though I haven't seen them myself yet. I'm waiting for them to air stateside. I won't have terrible withdrawals and excruciating cliff hanger anxiety like the rest of you! =p
Umm, then what's the point? Aren't the emotional ups and downs the reason why we watch anime? or watch anything for that matter?

I've been trying my best to avoid spoilers, but with only limited success.

Lockon.

Dammit.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kavik Ryx wrote: About G Gundam, bless me Neo for I have sinned. I would have to agree with Soul Bro on G being a lot more pure, namely because the show is still multi layered and intricate without being convoluted or trying to juggle too many things at once. Everything about it has a sort of elegance to it. Though I can't tell if the show is taking itself seriously at times, and if it is, does it make it hard to swallow or endearing?
Actually, Soul Bro said that the story was simplistic, that was comment that myself and Chris had issue with. G Gundam was such a departure in storytelling from the previous Gundams that people miss that there is a really solid story there. G Gundam may have one the best planned stories in the Gundam universe.

As far as not taking itself seriously at times, I think that's what makes G Gundam work. To often mecha anime take themselves too seriously and lose their entertainment value, G Gundam doesn't suffer from that problem. There is a fine line in telling a solid story and entertainment and G Gundam does both wonderfully.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

thanatos wrote:
Seraphic wrote:I've been listening to Frontier, Geass, and 00 reviews even though I haven't seen them myself yet. I'm waiting for them to air stateside. I won't have terrible withdrawals and excruciating cliff hanger anxiety like the rest of you! =p
Umm, then what's the point? Aren't the emotional ups and downs the reason why we watch anime? or watch anything for that matter?

Lockon.

Dammit.
I suppose only listening to Soul Bro, Neo, and Chris talk about this stuff doesn't spoil things for me too much. I watch Geass every week on AS, and I'm still loving every minute of it. I guess I don't really care what happens later on until I get to it myself. It still grips me very much, if that's what you're trying to say. It's not really what happens, but how it happens, and I can only see that for myself, don't you agree? =)

Listening to someone talk about something is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. It's hard to avoid spoilers being here at mechatalk though. >.> It's just a matter of how you deal with it mentally.

And yeah, I know I'll have to find other means of watching Frontier. I just didn't feel like elaborating on such a minor detail.

=o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Seraphic wrote:
thanatos wrote:

Lockon.

Dammit.
I suppose only listening to Soul Bro, Neo, and Chris talk about this stuff doesn't spoil things for me too much. I watch Geass every week on AS, and I'm still loving every minute of it. I guess I don't really care what happens later on until I get to it myself. It still grips me very much, if that's what you're trying to say. It's not really what happens, but how it happens, and I can only see that for myself, don't you agree? =)

Listening to someone talk about something is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. It's hard to avoid spoilers being here at mechatalk though. >.> It's just a matter of how you deal with it mentally.

And yeah, I know I'll have to find other means of watching Frontier. I just didn't feel like elaborating on such a minor detail.

=o
We try not go into too much detail, rather we try to give our impressions of all aspects of the episode.

But the best thing to do is to hold watching those episodes, till your memory dumps what we said.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

Re: Ep. 022 - The Geass Menagerie

i just want to mention something about G Gundam: In the Chinese dub & subtitles, and even with the lineart & characteristics were heavily emulated with Hong Kong novels, TV series, and movies. First, Wong Yun-Fat looked like Mark in A Better Tomorrow (played by Chow Yun Fat, ironically enough on the first & middle name); second, Master Asia's... See More name in Chinese originated from a character from a Louis Cha's novel "State of Divinity", which BTW, was the name of one of the 3 new Gundams to battle in the latter half of the series, in addition, his attire looks like Wong Fei-Hung. On top of that, the 2 other Gundams' names came from at least 1 other Hong Kong Wuxia movie. Another twist is that "State of Divinity" movie that was produced in 1993-94 was directed by Tsui Hark, who the director of G Gundam took a lot of cues from. Lastly, some of the music for Hong Kong scenes, was sung by now-retired singer CiCi Chen from Hong Kong, and some of those audiences in HK actually complained about it by claiming Sunrise find some Japanese singers tried to "mock" the Chinese songs without realizing the singer was from local crew. I literally have to look up in the Chinese version of Wikipedia and find those details ....
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)