Ep. 021 - "What 'Bout My Star?

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 021 - "What 'Bout My Star?

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 021 - "What 'Bout My Star?"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 177 min., 17 sec. (2:57:17) - 81.1 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News! - Mobile Ops not Vaporware after all?""
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:11:54

02. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:11:54 - 0:13:33

03. 1st Segment: "Macross Frontier: Reviews of Episodes 10-14"
Runtime: 0:13:33 - 1:14:46

04. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! - "The Number One Rule"
Runtime: 1:14:46 - 1:16:43

05. 2nd Segment: "Gundam Round-up!: Mobile Suit Victory Gundam"
Runtime: 1:16:43 - 2:02:26

06. Epic Sugarworks (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:02:26 - 2:03:01

07. 3rd Segment: "Macross Frontier: Reviews of Episodes 15-19"
Runtime: 2:03:01 - 2:51:49

08. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Lego Harrison Ford"
Runtime: 2:51:49 - 2:54:29

09. Outro: "Closing/The Usual/The Pimp Hand of Treize"
Runtime: 2:54:29 - 2:57:17

Long overdue, we blow the dust off of our Macross Frontier reviews and tackle a whopping ten episodes! Between it all, our Gundam Round-up finally lands upon the final Universal Century TV series (to date), "Mobile Suit Victory Gundam". Break out the kleenex!

Much thanks for listening & the feedback! Have at you!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - MechaTalk Forum - MySpace - FaceBook - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - [url=zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml]Zune[/url] - Main RSS Feed

[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Areku

Well, so much for sleep. Another night lost to Soul Bro and the Gundamn! Crew...
yazi88

Bah, sleep is for the weak, time for GUNDAMN! episode 21. As usual awesome job for the crew.
Ohmygodiamonfire

Convient, now I'm not gonna be bored on my plane trip today.
snoops619

Good solid episode. Currently half way through. Got me through my free-units at school today.
sephus16

Another awesome episode guys. I think I am definetly gonna have to see Victory now.

On a technical note, was everybody else hearing some weird choppiness on Chris' mic.

Can't wait for 22. Don't get too drunk celebrating.
Areku

Another great episode. And I'm looking forward to the next episode, the segment used in the preview sounds entertaining.:lol:

On Victory, I can verify everything you guys said about watching other UC shows first. Prior to when I watched Victory almost 3 years ago, the only material from UC I'd seen was 0080 and 08th MS Team, and I felt like it was hard to watch due to more than just the bleak atmosphere. I felt like I had to force myself through several parts, and while it was still a decently enjoyable experience, I already like it more after watching MSG and Zeta (and every other UC animation except for ZZ, which I have no plans on watching). While it may not seem like you need to watch prior UC shows to understand Victory, I think it's safe to say you're missing almost half the show without that prior experience. Having familiarity with Newtypes and UC history helps put the events in Victory in perspective, and I can testify that it really is a totally different experience without that. I've been meaning to go back and watch Victory again for this reason.

And yes, Shoji Kawamori laughed at us all while dancing over a fake grave.
sephus16 wrote:On a technical note, was everybody else hearing some weird choppiness on Chris' mic.
I noticed this as well. Did you borrow D_G's mic, Chris? :lol:
Jack-O

Excellent, now I have something to listen to for my double band competions. That and the the first episode of Gundam 00 s2
CanadaMan

Nice stuff boys, as usual. Especially the little Terrible Terry Tate at the end, made all the better since I was playing Gears of War while listening. Cole Train Baby!

Victory I ended up skipping episodes here and there in the beginning before things started picking up, but I basically did an episode per couple of days, with several episodes of s-CRY-ed in between for a total atmosphere change. And since I couldn't get into G Gundam, it'll be interesting to here what went on.

Do you think you'll marathon the remainder of Frontier for 22? Or split it for 22 and 23 to give 00 a bit of a buffer?
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Darkerangel

Can anyone tell me what's the song at the end of 06. Epic Sugarworks (Commercial)

mid beginning of 07?

please.
thanatos

Looks like the entire episode would contain spoilers for me since I haven't watched any macross frontier or V Gundam. (though I intend on doing it eventually)

Oh well, I'm sure it's a good episode anyways.
Soul Bro Ryu

CanadaMan wrote:Nice stuff boys, as usual. Especially the little Terrible Terry Tate at the end, made all the better since I was playing Gears of War while listening. Cole Train Baby!

Victory I ended up skipping episodes here and there in the beginning before things started picking up, but I basically did an episode per couple of days, with several episodes of s-CRY-ed in between for a total atmosphere change. And since I couldn't get into G Gundam, it'll be interesting to here what went on.

Do you think you'll marathon the remainder of Frontier for 22? Or split it for 22 and 23 to give 00 a bit of a buffer?
Thanks for listening, K.P. There's another drop I used from the X-Play skit, "Madden Boot Camp" where they have Lester "Cole Train" Speight unofficially reprise his "Terry Tate" role as "Perry Pate". It's at the end of the Level Nine commercial so if you were wondering one of the guys' voices sounded familiar, your ears were right. That skit is the bees knees by the way, check it!

As for the next ep, "The Geass Menagerie", we do another round of reviews of Brittanian's wayward son, Lelouch. G Gundam is definitely to the window as well, and we had fun with it. I hope it entices those that passed up on it to watch it again.

For the first time. :)
Darkerangel wrote:Can anyone tell me what's the song at the end of 06. Epic Sugarworks (Commercial)

mid beginning of 07?

please.
The track during the Epic Sugar Works spot is a looped portion "Love Moment" from "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love". Then at the beginning of Section 07 (3rd segment) (after the drop from "The Jerk") you have "Welcome To My FanClub's Night!" (Track 2 from "Macross Frontier OST 1 - Nyan Furo") - the song that opens the segment.

Hope that helps. ^_^

Word to your mothers on the prompt feedback, gentlemen. Keep 'em comin'!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Darkerangel

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:The track during the Epic Sugar Works spot is a looped portion "Love Moment" from "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love". Then at the beginning of Section 07 (3rd segment) (after the drop from "The Jerk") you have "Welcome To My FanClub's Night!" (Track 2 from "Macross Frontier OST 1 - Nyan Furo") - the song that opens the segment.

Hope that helps. ^_^

Word to your mothers on the prompt feedback, gentlemen. Keep 'em comin'!
lol, thank you.
xgundamdoodx

GUN_DAMN IT!!

im still on 19!!!!! LOL

i got some catching up to do!
btw speaking of "What 'bout my star"
i own the soundtrack to macross frontier so if any one wants some songs email me

EdIT: PM me for my email address
Destiny_Gundam

Gundamn is now as old as I am!

Neo, you aren't alone in your love of Powerpuff Girls Z. That show was a blast.

Though, I forget if you explained this before or not, but why the Ranka hate? (I'm still curious about your RahXephon hate too.)

I don't quite recall my experience with Victory Gundam. I remember watching it at a semi-frequent pace. The series is certainly draining, and the super dark atmosphere definitely puts it at the bottom of my favourite Gundam list. However, it is still ranked higher than Zeta Gundam, as the cast in V was a lot more likeable than Z's. And before you start, I watched V long before I awakened as a lolicon, so that is not the reason I like V's cast more.

I agree with you guys about Oliver's stupidity, and I was equally, if not more so, outraged by Odello's death. I'll never forgive Tomino for that. Tomache had 'disposable' written all over him! He should have died instead damn it!

Anyways, I will probably never rewatch Victory Gundam. One time was enough for me.

I wonder how many hot palm jokes you'll make next episode. It would be cool if you could use the audio from this.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kavik Ryx

Just listened to the V Gundam segment, and while it is not quite Grave of the Fireflies, you still need to brace yourself because your heart is just going to be shredded. Personally, I found the series to be somewhere between Gundam 0080 and Area 88 (OVA), the latter which I would call on of the best and most heartbreaking anime I have ever seen. I remember when watching the episode when Uso was put to the Guillotine, I really felt him being trapped in the stocks and it was almost painful.

Victory probably also has Gundam's greatest episode streak from 41-51, with 50 being my favorite just because of that last scene with Catajena laughing psychotically. This might just be me, but there are three scenes in the series that it is impossible not to break down at. 1 being when they are spreading Oliver's ashes into space; 2 when the children are having a memorial service for their fallen comrades; and 3 at the very end when you see the Victory 2 and the V lying in the snow. That just spells out the whole series, that they won, but everything has ultimately been laid to ruin. Zeta might take the cake for the most tense atmosphere, but Victory's has one that leaves something behind at takes part of you with it.
Last edited by Kavik Ryx on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GN-003 Kyrios

Gundamn is now old enough to drink!!!
The old generation can't build the new era-Quattro Bajina (Zeta Gundam)

General
Unsubdued
Nuclear
Drive
Assault
Module
hotlimit

Great episode guys, now I know to prepare myself for Victory, I don't want to get stuck in a rut or anything. Some of that show sounds absolutely brutal, and to me that sci-fi dystopia stuff is a lot more depressing than Grave of Fireflies, which was just straight up harsh reality.

I have to ask once more, is 'Level Nine' a full podcast, and if so where can I get it?
GN-003 Kyrios

victory was a good series. I've got to watch it again in the near future. after I saw it the first time I thought tomino has something against females.
The old generation can't build the new era-Quattro Bajina (Zeta Gundam)

General
Unsubdued
Nuclear
Drive
Assault
Module
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Gundamn is now as old as I am!

Neo, you aren't alone in your love of Powerpuff Girls Z. That show was a blast.

Though, I forget if you explained this before or not, but why the Ranka hate? (I'm still curious about your RahXephon hate too.)
Ranka's annoying and just bothers me everytime I see her. She's not even in the same class as Sheryl.

As for Rahxephon, where do I start? It's slow and the story isn't really that interesting. Also, its trying to something its not. The mecha designs are lame and I really didn't care for any of the characters. I know Rahxephon is the best of the Eva clones, but like Eva I think it is a little overrated.

But that's just my opinion.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke