Ep. 020 - Nina's Boys

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Destiny_Gundam

Vent Noir wrote:Nina Wang...)
Atleast that Nina was a billion times superior in the manga.

There's also the countless Ninas in the Breath of Fire games, but so far as mecha animes go, I can't really think of that many. Certainly the name has a bad track record I suppose (though I think Nina Einstien had redeemed herself).

I've also never hated Nena Trinity either.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Battosai28

Great episode as always my friends.

I just have one thought though. How many pieces of news do we have to submit before we can get a "Neo's Solute"? :wink:
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Good work on this episode, guys. Do I remember you guys saying 0083 had a director change or something to that effect? I didn't know that happened in this case also.

I really like this series for its mechanical design and action. The Zephyranthes and Physalis were actually designed by Shoji Kawamori if I am remembering things right. They're very unique. And the GP03 Stamen is actually one of my favorite Gundams. I don't like the Dendrobium as much. It's easy to like hyper-destructive power, but sometimes it's what's on the inside that counts. Tail binders and panoramic cockpits are awesome. (And have you seen the Stamen strut its stuff in Gundam VS Gundam? Holy crap!) It's just really sad that we never literally see it in action. I nearly crap my pants when I saw the Stamen fighting the Neue Ziel by itself in the 2nd OP, though. Oh, and GM Customs are the best GMs.

I haven't seen Victory yet, so I am looking forward to the next show. I'm interested in the technology most of all (Minovsky Craft and Drive) but that's not usually the kind of stuff you guys usually get into. Oh well.

And you all should get Armored Core for Answer so we can play online together. We'll team up and have a Mechatalk Squadron!! I know some of you don't have PS3s, but 360s, but it'll be fun to give it a shot anyway. The game is great.

Ah, and the Art Contest Polls are open for voting. Two of the entries have supplemental art, so scroll down to my post to see some quick links to that. Vote if you see something you like! I hope it's worth your time. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Battosai28 wrote:Great episode as always my friends.

I just have one thought though. How many pieces of news do we have to submit before we can get a "Neo's Solute"? :wink:
for a Neo Salute, I have only to say one word:

PUNDAM.

classic stuff like that is definitely deserving.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Kavik Ryx

Destiny_Gundam wrote:

There's also the countless Ninas in the Breath of Fire games, but so far as mecha animes go, I can't really think of that many. Certainly the name has a bad track record I suppose (though I think Nina Einstien had redeemed herself).

I never hated Nena either. BTW, who's Nina Wang?
Vent Noir

Kavik Ryx wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:

I never hated Nena either. BTW, who's Nina Wang?
Arika's rival from My Otome.
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Quick question is the Neo salute similar to the Al salute (Al Borlan salute from Home Improvement) or the Rimmer salute (2nd Technician Arnold Judas Rimmer from Red Dwarf).
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
TheGoose

Sume Gai wrote:Chris is getting snarky lately...

does that make him the Kai Shiden of Gundamn?
I'd rather be the Kai Shiden of Gundamn than the Saji Crossroad or Rivalz Cardemonde. /zing[/quote]

Actually, if your behavior continues to match Kai's, you could end up being him. You and Kai already have the same job.
Chris
Administrator

thegoose wrote:Actually, if your behavior continues to match Kai's, you could end up being him. You and Kai already have the same job.
True, but I haven't rescued any hot women from the jungles of Jaburo yet.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
thanatos

Another great episode guys.

When you guys mentioned the Hong Kong DVDs for Turn A Gundam, I winced in pain. If I hadn't paid $50 for those damn things, I would have burned them as soon as decent fansubs appeared.

Regarding 0083, the one thing I wanted mentioned was that the fact that since the Albion crew all became Titans, I developed a tiny bit of sympathy for the Titans. Sure, people like Jamitov were evil to begin with, but I'll bet that a lot of Titans, like Emma Sheen for instance, just got caught up in it and couldn't see what was going on around them, or chose to ignore it and just obey their orders regardless.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

thanatos wrote:Another great episode guys.

When you guys mentioned the Hong Kong DVDs for Turn A Gundam, I winced in pain. If I hadn't paid $50 for those damn things, I would have burned them as soon as decent fansubs appeared.
What you don't like the Turn A called fifteen different name in one episode?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
thanatos

hawk of endymion wrote:What you don't like the Turn A called fifteen different name in one episode?
When one of the options of the DVD Menu section is "PALY ALL", you know you're in for a rough ride.
thehod

Chris wrote:
I'd rather be the Kai Shiden of Gundamn than the Saji Crossroad or Rivalz Cardemonde. /zing
wow burrnned!

As to the 0083 thread, I will have to say the Monsha is perhaps the most annoying characters in UC though not too far behind is Nina and Kou for me. Kamille may have been whiny and angst-filled but there are plenty of times in Zeta where he mans up. Kou rarely on the other hand. 0083 is a good story just suffered from plenty of poor characters (kou/nina) and others who were one dimensional (Gato). I felt Keith (SBR's man) had some good development even though hes a secondary character.

I do hope Monsha was in a GM II when Quattro sliced it in 1/2
thanatos

thehod wrote:Monsha is perhaps the most annoying characters in UC
That's true, but there's still something to be said for having a throughbred, world-class jackass like Monsha around. In most series (Zeta being one exception), all the pilots tend to be friends and cooperate. Having the one really bad egg in the squadron could make things more interesting.
What's special about Monsha is that everyone I know who's seen 0083 knew a guy exactly like him back when they were in high school. I know I did.

I forgot to mention in my last post, who was it that clapped when Chris said that they weren't making the action figures any more?
Whoever did that, UP YOURS.
I love those little guys.
MechaGear

Great episode, I listened to it while putting the finishing touches on my HGUC Kampfer!

The only thing I might question you guys on is the value you place on mecha anime's increasingly broad, cross-fandom appeal. While it's great that the genre's getting more popular, I can't help but feel that so many of the great mecha classics were only created by focusing on a very specific, hardcore science-fiction audience; they were successful because they met (and actively responded to) the expectations of a well-defined group of fans with clear interests. If a show attempts to cater to too many different fanbases, it inevitably becomes diluted.

I think it's cool that mecha elements are working themselves into more mainstream media, but I'm kinda worried that the mecha genre will stretch itself into non-existence (the replacement of "mecha shows" with "shows with mecha in them," as you guys mention). In some sense it might be a natural progression, but on the other hand, I feel like there's still so much unexplored territory in the more distinct genre of "mecha," a lot of potential themes introduced by the early shows (MSG, Votoms, etc) that have yet to be fully developed.

It's kinda the same with what's happened in the anime industry; if a company branches out too far, the fans who supported them lose sight of what they're trying to do and lose interest.

Just an opinion of mine I wanted to bring up, I think it could be something worth discussing.
Chris
Administrator

Whether you like it or not, it's the evolution of the anime industry. The days of shows like VOTOMS, Zeta Gundam or SPT Layzner are long dead. The new reality is that it's harder and harder for anime (even in Japan) to find an audience, so they have to go broad. Going niche only works on a small scale if you have dedicated fans willing to shell out money for a product (ie MS IGLOO and VOTOMS Pailsen Files). For genres like mecha to survive, they have to appeal to a wider audience. However, appealing to a wider audience doesn't necessarily mean the genre's ideas will be diluted. I think shows like 00, Frontier, Code Geass and Gurren-Lagann have succeeded in drawing in new audiences that ordinarily wouldn't watch mecha. Heck, I've personally seen people who are not into mecha fans at all watch these four shows and actually seek out MORE hardcore mecha shows from the past. If anything, shows like the ones I mentioned could serve as gateway drugs to lead people to explore the genre more, and that's a good thing.

The mecha genre is changing, and it's something we have to accept. I'm not sure if Wing started it, but bishonen characters have become such a staple now of mecha series that they'll never go away. Adding elements that appeal to females is something that's also here to stay. But again, even when these things are done, it doesn't mean a show is pandering or diluting the genre. In the end, each show just has to be viewed on its individual merits, even if it doesn't exactly fit the qualifications of what us hardcore fans would classify as a "mecha series."
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MechaGear

Chris wrote:The days of shows like VOTOMS, Zeta Gundam or SPT Layzner are long dead.
T_T

Sad, but true. Anyway, well said, and I understand your point a bit better now.

I think there may be an interesting future for niche-appeal titles in small-team productions and online distribution. We've already seen single-man creations like Voices of a Distant Star, and I suspect anime like this will only become easier to produce as time goes on and the technology develops. Couple that with virtually no-cost online distribution, and it may become much more economically feasible to reach small, dedicated audiences.

I think mainstream visual media these days isn't meeting the demands of the hardcore sci-fi audiences that do exist, so it will be interesting to see how these demands are met in the future.
Kishiria

CanadaMan wrote:And the honorable mention of SoulBro's man-love AMV with Bernie and Al in 0080.

Nice episode guys, you're legal to drink in all of Canada, and have been since Ep. 19.
And in Quebec, the drinking age is only a suggestion, so episode 16 minimum.

Glad to hear Kairius get some love--he's addressed as Chief, so he must be cool. (Chiefs are always the best guys to know.)

Oddly, I never twigged to the Kelly/Kou thing. My husband did and I was shocked at myself for having missed it. In denial?

Also, I think I've done a thread on how much the Nazification of Zeon makes me spit acid. It's one of the reasons I wrote "Quinto Sol".

Listening my way back through the episodes I missed.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
goufx

i really liked how you guys ranted on the " evil demon *bleep*" nena. this was a good show, and i do have to agree with you that 0083 was not the best gundam series, but it is still worth it to watch.
GN-003 Kyrios

I agree. 83 was not the best series. However I did prefer the way the battles were done. I like the 90s style animation.
The old generation can't build the new era-Quattro Bajina (Zeta Gundam)

General
Unsubdued
Nuclear
Drive
Assault
Module