Ep. 020 - Nina's Boys

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 020 - Nina's Boys

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 020 - "Nina's Boys"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 164 min., 56 sec. (2:44:56) - MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: Destiny Gundam

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News! Fare thee well, Gunota..."
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:22:20

02. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:22:20 - 0:23:55

03. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight: Metal Armor Dragonar"
Runtime: 0:23:55 - 0:57:44

04. 2nd Segment: "Gundam Round-up!: Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory"
Runtime: 0:57:44 - 1:38:32

05. Epic Sugarworks (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:38:32 - 1:39:07

06. 3rd Segment: "Anime Industry Insider: Funimation Domination"
Runtime: 1:39:07 - 2:37:19

07. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "The Real Darth Vader"
Runtime: 2:37:19 - 2:38:59

08. Outro: "Fare thee well, MAHQ..." (j/k)
Runtime: 2:38:59 - 2:44:56

A real potpourri episode, where we finally discuss the classic mecha anime series, "Metal Armor Dragonar", which was originally intended as the start of a new franchise - one which Sunrise hoped to successfully transition from the popularity of Gundam after the release of "Char's Counterattack". Then, we finally touch upon the next Gundam OVA Series, "0083", as well as continue our discussion from Ep. 16 about the recentmost turn of events in the anime industry!

Many thanks for listening & Enjoy!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Damn, I should have checked here earlier so I could have listened to you guys while I worked on my contest entry. All finished now, and it's 3:30am. If you guys don't mind, I'd like for you guys to check out the art contest that's being held in the Art and Multimedia forum. Take a look at the entries. Vote if you're inclined. And if you want to rush, submit an entry too!

Anyway, thanks for getting these up so fast, Soul Bro. They've all been great. I'll let you know what I think once I listen through it entirely.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
yazi88

Dang, so quick after episode 19 and now this, you guys never cease to amaze me. Words cannot completely describe this awesomeness, its kinda like Leloch. Keep up the good work.
Sume Gai

Gundam Musai?

that sounds like fun.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
snoops619

Great show as usual. Loving the hastey releases!

You talk a lot about the '90s America being a sort of anime wasteland but in England it's still like that. Sure we have a small and overpriced section in HMV but to get anime such as Gundam, you have to look online and seeing as most Gundam DVDs that were dubbed were only released in America, there usually region 1, which means I can't watch them without messing with my laptop.

In fact, it's so bad that I rushed headlong to buy Macross Plus & Macross Plus: the Movie when I saw it's tatty, old, faded box on the shelf of my local second hand DVD shop when I'd never even watched any Macross whatsoever.

I mean, I know that anime just isn't popular in the UK and that We're a fairly small country (roughly two thirds the size of Japan) but I'd like to see more of an effort made on Bandai or Funimation's parts.

We got Wing back in 2001 but that seemed to fizzle out. I seriously think that Code Geass could get a lot of people but Cartoon Netwrok UK seems completely uninterested now that the pretty much oly have pokemon.
I hope that Anime Central starts getting some of these big dubs but it's a pretty small channel that only broadcasts past watershed into the wee hours of the morning. It does have SEED though so there is hope that Bandai may take notice.
Deacon Blues

Haha, thanks for the plug guys. Hopefully I can iron things out. I'm still not sure just what the hell I'm going to be doing with it, but... *shrugs*
Areku

OMG MAHQ's CLOSING! (just for you, Chris)

Just finished the ep (aside from Dragonar, which I'll listen to later).

0083: I'd say you guys did a good job of representing the show, but ultimately gave it more support than I would have. I'd really only recommend the show to someone who 1: Just has to watch every Gundam, 2: Isn't bothered by excessive plotholes, contradictions and annoying characters and 3: Just has to know how the Titans were formed. I understand there were some very real reasons for the show's inconsistency, and I was still fairly interested while they were on Earth, but I thought that it just fell to pieces around the time they went to space. To make it worse, some of the technology towards the end far surpasses anything present in Zeta, and while I don't expect that to be an issue for everyone, that bothered the Zoinks out of me. Factor in everything else mentioned on Gundamn!, and I feel the show is only suitable for someone fitting the criteria I mentioned, and even then I wouldn't recommend a second viewing. It's not that I think it was atrocious, but beyond filling in an important time in UC history and providing some additional Gundam animation, I just don't think this show had anything good going for it, and alot of things going against it (after the Earth arc, anyway).

Industry: I don't really follow the licensing and distribution much, so hearing you guys summarize the anime industry on a regular basis is very convenient and quite informative (not that I don't put my money where my bandwidth is, it's just that I'm not all that interested in companies and trends). I hope you are planning to continue these types of segments, as I think they're useful, informative and concise. Plus, Neo's soapbox was awesome.

Misc: I'm glad Chris gave me the opportunity to point it out in a less douchey way (with his jab on D_G's prospects as a podcaster), but I'd recommend that all future advertisements be left to Soul Bro. I expect Chris voiced the Epic Sugarworks commercial because he recently received what sounds like an awesome cake they made for his birthday, but it didn't sound particularly enthusiastic when compared to Soul Bro's livelier commercials. Chris, I emphasize that your performance wasn't bad by any stretch, but Soul Bro just massively overshadows you when it comes to enthusiastic ads.

There was something else that I wanted to mention, but I can't think of what. Naturally, I'll remember as soon as someone posts after me.
Destiny_Gundam

Areku wrote:with his jab on D_G's prospects as a podcaster
Well, there's a reason why I'm only arbitrarily pulled on as a guest from time to time.

There is a technical issue I'd like to point out. This has been the case with previous eps, but this ep in particular was pretty bad, so I'm going to point it out. The volume is very inconsistant. Sometimes I have to crank up my speakers to hear some one talk (mostly Neo), but then when I say something, it comes blasting out. Now, that could just be an issue with me during the recording, but the same thing will happen with the bookending music. I turn up my speakers to hear the voices, but then when the commercials come on they're super loud.

This isn't a major issue, but it's still annoying.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:There is a technical issue I'd like to point out. This has been the case with previous eps, but this ep in particular was pretty bad, so I'm going to point it out. The volume is very inconsistant. Sometimes I have to crank up my speakers to hear some one talk (mostly Neo), but then when I say something, it comes blasting out. Now, that could just be an issue with me during the recording, but the same thing will happen with the bookending music. I turn up my speakers to hear the voices, but then when the commercials come on they're super loud.

I was noticing that too. I didn't notice it in previous episodes, but I could really tell here.

A minor note on Neo's intro to 0083, Kou, Keith and co. are already fully trained pilots and have graduated the pilot academy, they are simply being used as "as close as we can get to a real enemy pilot" for testing out the new parts on the Powered GM to get actual battle data against real enemy suits without killing anybody.

Also the Giganos fortress at the end, looks very much like Sinistar if anyone remembers that game. Seriously, look at a pic of both side by side and the resemblance is striking.
Another odd tech note about Dragonar, beam sabers are seen quite often enough, but there are no ranged beam weapons to be found anywhere in the show save for maybe on the larger battleships and as an experimental weapon for the Dragonars that only gets used once and is never seen again. The Dragonars are basically still using the same railgun tech at the end that they had at the beginning of the show.

I'll post more as I finish listening to the episode.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Sometimes I have to crank up my speakers to hear some one talk (mostly Neo), but then when I say something, it comes blasting out. Now, that could just be an issue with me during the recording, but the same thing will happen with the bookending music. I turn up my speakers to hear the voices, but then when the commercials come on they're super loud.

I can't say that I've encountered this problem for most of the areas you described. However, you do generally sound like crap when we record, although it's gotten better over time. The first time you were on the show for SRW, it sounded horrible.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Areku

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, there's a reason why I'm only arbitrarily pulled on as a guest from time to time.
Eh, it's not like you detract from the show, you just aren't all that confident a speaker. Most people aren't, but I like hearing your input on Gundamn!, and having a voice and tone behind it is nice, since we don't really get that on forums. But my point was along the line of "since we're already talking about who should cover certain parts...".
There is a technical issue I'd like to point out. This has been the case with previous eps, but this ep in particular was pretty bad, so I'm going to point it out. The volume is very inconsistant. Sometimes I have to crank up my speakers to hear some one talk (mostly Neo), but then when I say something, it comes blasting out. Now, that could just be an issue with me during the recording, but the same thing will happen with the bookending music. I turn up my speakers to hear the voices, but then when the commercials come on they're super loud.

I use headphones and do not have these issues. The worst it's ever been was when (I think it was) Chris provided Mora's name, which was almost inaudible. Beyond that... yeah, this issue isn't present with headphones, so hopefully that helps Soul Bro correct it.

Unfortunately, I still don't remember what I was going to say....
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote:I can't say that I've encountered this problem for most of the areas you described. However, you do generally sound like crap when we record, although it's gotten better over time. The first time you were on the show for SRW, it sounded horrible.
Well, aside from my voice being annoying in general, the main issue is the hardware. I don't know what kind of mics you guys use, but before I used this crappy webcam/mic combo thing, and for this show I used the built in mic in my laptop. I sit away from the mic as well because I'm a very loud speaker, so it's no good if I talk directly into it. That's why it sounds like I'm in a tunnel.
you just aren't all that confident a speaker
This is true. Heck, I talk more in one episode of Gundamn than I do in a month.
Leroy Landers

Great show guys! I liked the discussion on the state of the industry I know you've done that segment before but stuff like that never gets old for me.
Sume Gai

Chris is getting snarky lately...

does that make him the Kai Shiden of Gundamn?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, aside from my voice being annoying in general, the main issue is the hardware. I don't know what kind of mics you guys use, but before I used this crappy webcam/mic combo thing, and for this show I used the built in mic in my laptop. I sit away from the mic as well because I'm a very loud speaker, so it's no good if I talk directly into it. That's why it sounds like I'm in a tunnel.
There's nothing wrong with your voice, it's just the equipment. You need to upgrade, son. Now that you bought SRW, you can waste your money on a good headset.
Sume Gai wrote:Chris is getting snarky lately...

does that make him the Kai Shiden of Gundamn?
I'd rather be the Kai Shiden of Gundamn than the Saji Crossroad or Rivalz Cardemonde. /zing
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Peter, did you pay them to let you get that Nanoha segment intro bit in at 1:39? I think you would have to at least begged a bit to do it.

There was one other character in 0083 that you guys missed that I felt sorry for. Lucette who was the designer of the GP-03. She did her part for the plot then got tossed out like the trash. Poor girl.
There there was that other Fed bastard at La Vie En Rose that was the you love to hate him type and I do hope the Albion crew at least put the fear of God into him for what he did. Personally I'd have pulled a Laura Rosalin and chucked him out an airlock without a normal suit.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Wingnut wrote:Peter, did you pay them to let you get that Nanoha segment intro bit in at 1:39? I think you would have to at least begged a bit to do it.
Nah, I just asked to do the intro. They had no idea what I was planning. I bet they regret it now! Ku ku ku ku.

I squeezed in a total of 3 Nanoha shout outs and 2 Strike Witches shout outs in the ep.
Hyakushiki

When you started talking about Kelly and Kou I had this horrible vision of Brokeback Mountain! :shock:

As to why ECW is on Sci Fi, Vince pays them money to show it simple. To be honest, people who are wrestling fans don't watch ECW because it's not the real ECW as much as sci fi fans don't watch Sci Fi because it's not really about sci fi. I still wonder who is watching those horrible, horrible movies they have a lot of nerve to call them "original" since they are all exactly the same.
Last edited by Hyakushiki on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
yazi88

I'm frankly surprised that for the Dragonar segment you guys didn't mention that the sergeant's nickname was "Umi-Bozo" which means seamonster.
VentZX

I'm only a few minutes in, but I just heard about SoulBro's RRoD 360. HA! Shoulda bought a PS3. :P