Ep. 019 - The Taniguchi Code

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
AmuroNT1

Regarding the couch, I sort of wanted to reference the old Nickelodeon variety show Roundhouse, since the father in that show had the motorized Barcalounger, but I was worried nobody would get the ref.

Anyway, mark my words: Turn 25 will have Lelouch combine Rakshata's couch, Rivalz' motorcycle, Kallen's mascot costume, Cheese-kun, and the MR-1 to form Geasstron.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Soul Bro Ryu

AmuroNT1 wrote:Regarding the couch, I sort of wanted to reference the old Nickelodeon variety show Roundhouse, since the father in that show had the motorized Barcalounger, but I was worried nobody would get the ref.

Anyway, mark my words: Turn 25 will have Lelouch combine Rakshata's couch, Rivalz' motorcycle, Kallen's mascot costume, Cheese-kun, and the MR-1 to form Geasstron.
BTW, I remember Roundhouse ^_^
All it did was make me miss You Can't Do That on Television ~_~

As for your prediction for Ep. 25, that's a scary thought. Don't know why this comes to mind, but if they ever have a "Code Geass" version of Monopoly, those would all make good playing pieces.

"I'll buy Brittannia for $500. Time to build an Empire!"

LMAO, actually CG would make a better game of Risk than Monopoly. What a minute, what are we talking about again?
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Momaru

Haha I am sorry if my news on Pundam caused you any psychological trauma Chris! You can bill me for your therapy sessions but just don't ban me! I am glad to hear that that news bite stirred up some interesting comments even if it caused Chris to turn emo. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any more WTF news like that.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Battosai28

hawk of endymion wrote:
Lastly, Battousai28, I won't make any guarantees(like Soul Bro did in ep. 18), but if Gundamn becomes big(with yours and all of the fan's help), there maybe an opening for you on the news staff in the future.
Oh man, a fan's wet dream may yet come true some day. Don't wory though, I won't get my hopes up :roll:

But hey, keep in mind Neo that my extensive resume already includes about an hours worth of Gundamn broadcasting experience from the call in session :idea: (Which I remind you was not that big of a disaster)
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Areku

After a short hiatus, I'm back on the internet. Turns out the power grid in central Ohio wasn't ready for the remnants of Ike (in our defense, it combined with a strong cold-front). The lineman I was talking with said there were 30-40 failures that affected my house, so I'm happy to get power back in just three days. But having nearly 5 hours of unheard Gundamn! helped immensely.

Firstly, Pundam. I laughed so hard that I cried. Or it might have been the other way around. I'm afraid Chris and I have something empathetic/sympathetic going on when it comes to this. Even my younger brother, who has only the most basic familiarity with Gundam, could recognize how horrible it all was.

For F91, my opinion of it was "not satisfactory". I've only seen it once, so perhaps it just hasn't grown on me, but the problems that everyone else has already mentioned did not make it an entertaining movie in my opinion. Maybe I'll rewatch it someday, but for now, I'm not looking forward to that idea.

Moving on to the CG segment, on the issue of Lelouch's withdrawal from the first Battle of Tokyo and the questions it raises about the competence of other BK commanders, I don't think it's fair to say that this shows incompetence (though later events in R2 make me wonder...). This is my take on that battle, taken from a post back in May:
Areku wrote:The BK were already beginning to lose when Lelouch made the decision to leave the battle. Their headquarters was in disarray with Ohgi being shot, the Raikoh had been destroyed, and the main assault against the administrative building was being chewed up like the grass I mowed this morning. And this was before Jeremiah appeared. Even though Lelouch had just made up his mind to leave the battle, that would have been irrelevant for a few minutes while he was trying to survive against Orange-kun. During that time, Cecile attacked the school (BK headquarters), freeing Suzaku in the process. And we all know how well grunts perform against the Lancelot, even with Zero's backseat tactics (but Cecile's Sutherland Air proved sufficient anyway). And then Nina showed up with her nuke, which rendered their headquarters a larger liability than the main battle itself. Without the HQ, keeping track of the battle would be very difficult for frontline commanders like Tohdoh and even Zero, to the point that the main assault would likely fail. Yes, they could have refilled the Gawain and used the Hadron cannons to eliminate some of the defensive fire. But if Lelouch didn't leave, neither would have Suzaku or Jeremiah; without it's main weapon, Kallen's Guren would not be able to offset this.

In short, yes, Lelouch could have made a difference, but so many things were already going wrong that it would not be a large one. And even in victory, they would still take horrendous loses, and with a reinforcement fleet just three days away, it's highly unlikely the BK would be able to hold their new assets.

Even shorter version: I'm tired of seeing people say that it's the fault of any one person, be it Lelouch or Tohdoh or Ohgi, for losing the battle. The real culprit was Murphy.
AmuroNT1 brought up a good point about the Gawain's command and reconnaissance abilities, but with both Jeremiah and Suzaku targeting the Gawain, I doubt that Lelouch would be able to perform either of these tasks well enough to make a difference. Granted, the screentime Tohdoh received during the battle didn't indicate he was adjusting very well, but he didn't lose the battle. The battle was already being lost, and he was just unable to turn it back around. All in my opinion, of course.

As for what Code Geass has provided in R2, I'm enjoying the experience. My main compliant is that some of the events aren't quite as clever as they are made out to be. That is to say, there have been several events that were portrayed as stunning and brilliantly executed (Mt. Fuji bomb, Lelouch's final confrontation with Charles, and several other things) that fell flat on their faces in those respects, and I've found that frustrating. But despite this, I am enjoying the show for what it is, and am looking forward to the final episodes.

I know the comments are not directed at me (as previously pointed out by Chris), but I feel a need to point out that I was only providing the idea that Suzaku shot Shirley. I was entertaining the thought that it might not have been Rolo, but as the first to mention it on Mecha Talk, I do feel somewhat responsible for others taking the idea too seriously. I realize I myself am probably taking Chris' continual mentions of that event too seriously, and I realize he's only providing it as an example, but I don't like being associated (even if that association is imagined by myself) with the things Chris is describing.

Finally, I'll point out that Rakshata seemed to have parted with her couch in R2 23. Does this mean she's learned to sit/stand for more than five minutes, or could Couch-kun be undergoing it's final transformation?

Another good episode, guys. Amuro, you did very well, although I'm afraid "You're killing him!" overshadowed your contributions that actually had substance.:lol: Again, thank you for providing us with Gundamn!, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Battosai28 wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
Lastly, Battousai28, I won't make any guarantees(like Soul Bro did in ep. 18), but if Gundamn becomes big(with yours and all of the fan's help), there maybe an opening for you on the news staff in the future.
Oh man, a fan's wet dream may yet come true some day. Don't wory though, I won't get my hopes up :roll:

But hey, keep in mind Neo that my extensive resume already includes about an hours worth of Gundamn broadcasting experience from the call in session :idea: (Which I remind you was not that big of a disaster)
Keep that resume current, you'll never know when it'll be needed.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

Areku wrote:I know the comments are not directed at me (as previously pointed out by Chris), but I feel a need to point out that I was only providing the idea that Suzaku shot Shirley. I was entertaining the thought that it might not have been Rolo, but as the first to mention it on Mecha Talk, I do feel somewhat responsible for others taking the idea too seriously. I realize I myself am probably taking Chris' continual mentions of that event too seriously, and I realize he's only providing it as an example, but I don't like being associated (even if that association is imagined by myself) with the things Chris is describing.
If you say that you're imagining things and taking it too seriously, don't say in the same breath you don't like being associated with what I'm talking about. It makes no sense. I'm not attacking you and you know it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Areku

Chris wrote:If you say that you're imagining things and taking it too seriously, don't say in the same breath you don't like being associated with what I'm talking about. It makes no sense. I'm not attacking you and you know it.
Yeah, I know. I don't mean to sound hostile about it. But whatever the reason may be, I can't help but wince every time you mention "Suzaku shot Shirley" when talking about foolish conclusions. But unlike in the other Gundamn thread, I think I covered what I meant to say (distancing myself from some of the ridiculous things that ensued), despite what seems to be a contradiction. I'm strange when it comes to these things. But this will be the last time I bring it up.

Edit: And while I'm at it, I decided that laughing face may not have been enough to get the point across: Amuro, what I said about overshadowing yourself was a joke.
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Chris if you still feel like turning Emo here is something for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xilOgjeEwPg

Enjoy
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
manmiles

I like F-91. Admittidly, the pacing of the film is slightly... hyperactive... to say the least, it does have one of my favourite mecha designs and the bugs, which I really wish had had more done with in Victory, where Zanscare are clearly the type of evil bastards to use that kind of weapon.

Of course, concerning the assasination, maybe it was something Iron Mask set up in order to impress the masses and presuade them how cool he wants them to think he is. Of course, I could be wrong and it's just more proof of a Gundam show where the story pacing is up to 11... and has characters simply drop dead on stage for no real reason.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Ep. 019 - The Taniguchi Code

My comments on F-91, pretty similar to everyone else. Not the worst Gundam ever (that would be Destiny and G-Saviour) but not the greatest either. Too bad it wasn't a series like it should have been. I've
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion