Ep. 019 - The Taniguchi Code

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Wingnut

Sume Gai wrote:
T.V. wrote:Btw, the way Chris pronounced it for the second discussion part it sounded like he said "Code Gay Ass".... -_-;;
it was intentional; Code Gay Ass was another internet "insult" for the series
So you have the power to read minds and tell what Chris was thinking at that moment?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Sume Gai

So you have the power to read minds and tell what Chris was thinking at that moment?
I don't but I think it was obvious... and I don't think Chris would make that mistake.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Destiny_Gundam

It was intentional. Chris is always calling it that. He means it in good humour though. He's not mocking the show.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
T.V.

Ah okay, that's cleared up then.

I never heard the mock title before, but it's suprisingly fitting the 2nd season so far IMHO.
Anyway, Chris got some chuckles out of me with that. ;)
Kavik Ryx

I will say that I prefer CCA to F-91. But like Destiny Gundam, I probably give it a lot more credit. While I agree with all of the statements about it, basing the story entirely on action it is insanely powerful. The attention to detail still makes it the most well animated Gundam in my book, as well as the most frightening at times. Those two hours have enough carnage in it that it achieves as much as any TV series would.

As for the story, I will say that it is weak due to its limited time to develop, but it does show signs of true genius. Personally, for as flawed as it is, it is one that I wouldn't mind seeing again.
CanadaMan

TallGeass FTW!
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
yazi88

Back on my laptop after a frustrating weekend, the episode works fine on it rather than on my parents and brother's computer, sorry for the hassling comments from earlier, I just really wanted to listen to this episode and now I'm really satisfied, Kudos to the Gundamn! Crew. 8)
Battosai28

Great ep. guys. I definately agree that F91 is a movie that grows more on you the more timesyou watch it.

BTW Neo, it looks like you will be depending more and more on me and the other faithfull neo's news contributers without Gunota around :wink:
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Kavik Ryx

Just a little bit of a nitpick on the blog, but it says that segment to is Robotech vs. Macross as opposed to Gundam Roundup F-91.
Vent Noir

Sume Gai wrote: it was intentional; Code Gay Ass was another internet "insult" for the series
Depends... it does have a big yaoi fangirl following.
Soul Bro Ryu

Kavik Ryx wrote:Just a little bit of a nitpick on the blog, but it says that segment to is Robotech vs. Macross as opposed to Gundam Roundup F-91.
Corrected it on the thread but Blogger had too much traffic when I tried to fix it there. Finally, though, it's fixed!

Good looking out ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
V2Buster

If Amuro-NT1 were a character in Geass, he'd be Tamaki, cause he fanboys for Lelouch soooooooo much :p.

Hahahaha, I like how the crew ends telling people to shut up and just watch Geass without overanalysing after they spent 2 and 1/2 hours doing just that.
Soul Bro Ryu

V2Buster wrote:Hahahaha, I like how the crew ends telling people to shut up and just watch Geass without overanalysing after they spent 2 and 1/2 hours doing just that.
Ironic, isn't it?

I guess the frustration all stems from the all of the negative rumblings about Code Geass as of lately. I'm used to it, from already being a Fanboy over shows like Lost, and in the past Evangelion and Star Trek: The Next Generation - and catching flack for enjoying them during their respective runs.

It just seems to me that there's a lost of hate for CG R2 or at least, the disdain for the series is tangible. I can't say that this season has been flawless, and to be honest, it seems a bit slow in some episodes and then moves at a breakneck pace in others, giving the show an uneven flow. However, despite my criticisms, they pale in comparison to the entertaining thrill ride the series has been from the beginning.

The internet has millions of cynics. The world has billions. Yet the amount of optimists (or realists, even) that I've come across about the series as of late I can only count on my hands. Since I can't predict the future (yet apparently there's no end to embittered otaku online that can), I'll reserve my final judgment on Code Geass R1 & R2 for when the series concludes, but at the moment, the series continues to be fun, compelling, and a pure joy to watch.

I'm sure I'm the minority on the net that feels this way, but I'm cool with that. Being an outcast is the bee's knees, jack. ^_^

Oh...and Go Schnizel! He better go out like Tony Montana, G*dd@mmit. The man is pure gangster. Bishie, but, gangster, nonetheless.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
V2Buster

Schneizel might seem to be the boy with the most toys at the moment (but everyone knows that Lloyd has something up his sleeve and he's working for Lelouch right now), but frankly, considering this is the world of Codes and Geasses, he's running head first into battle with a knife in what is clearly a gunfight.

He's just a horribly anti-climatic final boss considering the levels of ludicrousness Charuru and The Flash were up to.
Chris
Administrator

V2Buster wrote:Hahahaha, I like how the crew ends telling people to shut up and just watch Geass without overanalysing after they spent 2 and 1/2 hours doing just that.
So reviewing the show and giving our opinions is "overanalyzing" it? I think you missed the whole point - I was railing against people who are looking too hard to find things that aren't there - ie Suzaku killed Shirley, or trying to use Taniguchi's comments to justify their attacks that R2 is a "trainwreck" and a complete piece of crap. There's a difference.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Reven

I gotta say your discussion of the..."Pundam" had me in stitches...especially Chris' reactions and cries of "oh god!"
snoops619

Absolutely loved the show. I always like the round-up segments so a good 2 hour (give/take) of CG R2 was bliss.
It may be just because I'm relatively new to mecha anime (beside the statutory exposures as a child with Gundam Wing ect.) but I honestly don't know what anyone is talking about when they criticize CG R2. I have never felt that any episode has been too slow or too fast and have never given a second thought to the 'Big ol' Battlle' episode being followed by another one of the 'Chairman's crazy festivals' episode.
As I said, it may be because I've not seen too many series' to compare it with but I can't help but feel like the school episode are welcome as a bit of a breather between the next battle.

That all I have to say beside the customary 'Keep up the good work!'
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Battosai28 wrote: BTW Neo, it looks like you will be depending more and more on me and the other faithfull neo's news contributers without Gunota around :wink:
Well, I'll be relying on other sources since the demise of Gunota. But I really enjoy receiving the listener submitted articles. The articles I've received so far are what I expected when I came up with the idea of listener submitted articles. I've been especially happy with the "WTF" articles, for example the "Pundam" article in ep. 19. "Pundam" maybe the best article to date, but that doesn't mean it can't be topped.

I look forward to any submissions, as I am human and sometimes can't find everything. But everyone who's submitted, "Thank you" and those who haven't, I look forward to your submissions in the future.

Lastly, Battousai28, I won't make any guarantees(like Soul Bro did in ep. 18), but if Gundamn becomes big(with yours and all of the fan's help), there maybe an opening for you on the news staff in the future.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
yazi88

I loved the part where you guys pointed out the running gag of Raksharta's couch, glad someone other than me saw those gimmicks. I look forward to the combination of the couch and rival's bike. :lol:
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:I loved the part where you guys pointed out the running gag of Raksharta's couch, glad someone other than me saw those gimmicks. I look forward to the combination of the couch and rival's bike. :lol:
I'd love to see some fanart of that, it'd be hillarious. It could surpass the Char Custom guntank.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke