Ep. 018 - Yasumicon 2008 Live!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
CanadaMan

Wouldn't Australia get 00 licensed eventually? Like months after? Besides, SoulBro will take any excuse to travel
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

CanadaMan wrote:Wouldn't Australia get 00 licensed eventually? Like months after? Besides, SoulBro will take any excuse to travel
Whos knows? Licensing sometimes gets a little weird.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Vent Noir

CanadaMan wrote:Wouldn't Australia get 00 licensed eventually? Like months after? Besides, SoulBro will take any excuse to travel
Not certain. Not everything that gets licensed in America comes out here (we got Wing and Seed/Destiny, but no UC or G-Gundam. I think it's gonna depend on how well Destiny sold)
Battosai28

Great podcastas as always guys.

You should definately have a pannel in New Orleans when hell freezes over and there's actually an anime convention here...
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Battosai28 wrote:Great podcastas as always guys.

You should definately have a pannel in New Orleans when hell freezes over and there's actually an anime convention here...
I would love to. I went to college around there and actually lived in Metarie for a summer. Great city, if only we could kill hurricanes.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Destiny_Gundam

I also started mecha anime with Gundam Wing. That lead me into Gundam X, and it went from there. I guess the appeal of mecha shows is that yeah, you do have the cool shiney robots and the big, epic explosions. Things just generally happen on a grander scale.

There's also the appeal in that anyone can pilot a mecha. From little girls to old men with bad backs, anyone can do it. This allows for a wider variety of characters. It also lets physically weak people like myself fantasize about being able to hop in a robot and go kick some ass despite our physical condition.

Also, one of these days Neo, we're gonna have to go out back and have a throw down about RahXephon.

IT'S ON BITCH.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Vent Noir

How I started mecha anime... well, I saw a bit of Voltron and Transformers on TV growing up, but didn't really get into them. However, when I got into real anime, either the first or second title I ever saw (I borrowed it along with a Dirty Pair video) was Dangaioh! Iczer-One soon followed, and I developed a lifelong soft spot for those two. That was back in about '93.

As for Gundam, I borrowed tapes of F91 and the early episodes of 0083 from Melbourne Anime Society, and also watched the first bit of Char's Counterattack before giving up on it because I couldn't understand what the heck was going on. I didn't really get into those, and the credit for making me a Gudam fan goes to Wing, when I saw fansubs of that.

I've seen most of Gundam now (with the exception of 0079 TV and a substantial portion of G-Gundam) - oddly, the Gundam shows that are my favourites tend to be the ones that are unpopular with hardcore Gundam fans (Wing, Seed, and even Turn A has an element of this with all the people rejecting it based on the Gundam's design), while I find myself not liking some of the better-regarded shows (Zeta is good, but too depressing for mine, and I feel 00 is very overrated and have a very hard time liking the "heroes")
goufx

you guys did a really nice job. some better sound quality would be welcomed though. also, i like the macross vs. robotec. thanks for listening to the idea :). i agree though, with the robotec second season (masters) sucked. anyways...... you guys [i]really[/i] don't like macross 7 do you? well, nice job :)

oh, the third season, new generation (mospeada) , was pretty good in my opinion. but i would still prefer macross.....
CanadaMan

goufx wrote: you guys really don't like macross 7 do you? well, nice job :)
Have you seen Macross 7? I can stomach dated animation, but battle sequences - while some were well thought out like the trench run in 44(?) - seemed horribly low budget.
Last edited by CanadaMan on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Chris
Administrator

goufx wrote:you guys really don't like macross 7 do you? well, nice job :)
I like it just fine, so don't include me in that.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion

goufx wrote:...... you guys really don't like macross 7 do you? well, nice job :)
I like Macross 7 too. Don't know where you got that impression.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

goufx

lolz, much more replys than i thought. i just meant that some people (obviously not chris) on Gundamn seem to dislike it. i just do not realize why. i liked the story because it took a turn that none of the other shows, macross or not, did. i do not mind the animation (i am watching anime with animation either really nice and part C.G. like blassreiter, or something that is muuuuuuuch worse). anyways, your guys's shows have been fantastic, really coming along. gj
goufx

great episode guys. i always like the live convention shows. say high to gurren lagann for me :).
Red Comet90

Re: Ep. 018 - Yasumicon 2008 Live!

I just finished listening to this episode and I feel so dumb for not staying for it. At the time I had no idea what Gundamn was. I wish I had known sooner. Anyways this episode was hilarious.

I also have a question. What's the name of the song used during the Florida Oriental Traders commercial segment? It was awesome. On the topic of music the use of the Robotech theme song at the end of the Robotech vs. Macross segment was hilarious. It made Neo's words seem epic. 8)
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Soul Bro Ryu

Red Comet90 wrote:I just finished listening to this episode and I feel so dumb for not staying for it. At the time I had no idea what Gundamn was. I wish I had known sooner. Anyways this episode was hilarious.

I also have a question. What's the name of the song used during the Florida Oriental Traders commercial segment? It was awesome.
Here's info on the FOT jingle:
Song: "Heatwave"
Artist: Simon Viklund
Album: Bionic Commando Rearmed OST

Were you there during the taping? Sorry you missed it, but if you're attending YasumiCon this year, hopefully you'll be able make it to our next show. BTW, if it wasn't the live show that got you listening to us, do you mind me asking what got you to start listening?

Also, mad thanks to everyone that gave us input on this episode!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Red Comet90

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:I just finished listening to this episode and I feel so dumb for not staying for it. At the time I had no idea what Gundamn was. I wish I had known sooner. Anyways this episode was hilarious.

I also have a question. What's the name of the song used during the Florida Oriental Traders commercial segment? It was awesome.
Here's info on the FOT jingle:
Song: "Heatwave"
Artist: Simon Viklund
Album: Bionic Commando Rearmed OST

Were you there during the taping? Sorry you missed it, but if you're attending YasumiCon this year, hopefully you'll be able make it to our next show. BTW, if it wasn't the live show that got you listening to us, do you mind me asking what got you to start listening?

Also, mad thanks to everyone that gave us input on this episode!
Thanks for the info Soul Bro. It's much appreciated.

Actually I'm not sure if it was the taping since I just happened to randomly walk in looking for another panel. I will definitely be there for your show once YasumiCon comes around this year.

As for what got me listening to you guys: it was a random search on Itunes. I was curious to see if they had any Gundam episodes or OSTs on there. I checked knowing I would be disappointed and I saw your gundamn podcast there remembering something about it atYasumiCon but not really knowing what it was exactly. I subscribed on a whim and I've been listening ever since Episode 26 I believe. I actually haven't listend to all of 26 since I want to hear the Gundam Round Up for Turn A but I haven't gotten a change to view it.

On another note, thanks for saying so many good things about X. Without hearing all the praise you and Neo give it I wouldn't be watching it now (and enjoying it).

Edit: I looked up Bionic Commando and it looks like a lot of fun.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another great show guys, I wish I could have been there.

My favorite quote was the gag about the Al Gore Gundam! Classic.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion