Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 23-11-10

The place to share your artwork.
young_oldtype

Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 23-11-10

*Dons flame-proof suit*
Forgive me but I just gotta post these worthless humble works of mine. I did not shade them for the sake of color enhancement. I'll be open to your suggestions people since my style is getting a bit stagnant recently.^^

PS: Does anyone here know of any site where I can get some tutorials for drawing battleships? Or how about some tips? I simply don't like my own idea of redesigning the Zamouth Jeth and giving it a new name. Thanks a lot!^^

Update: OK, so I've finally got the guts to post these things. feel free to comment on the color schemes -- I'm still not that good at camo...

Update: 31 Aug. 2008 - Got my first warship uploaded. Feel free to flame me on this one. And well, I'd really appreciate design critique, tips and suggestions.^^

Update: 30 Nov. 2008 - The new and not so new:
AS Aelfgar Holland (Packard class)
AW-4 Fomalhaut
Some BS again. Feel free to give your opinions guys.

Update: 29 Dec. 2008
Before the year ends:
Panther G-1
Rigel (final production type)

Update: 18 Jan. 2009
My first in '09:
Gendarme

Updates: 23 Mar. 2009
Panther G-2 (remake again)
and its firing pose.

Update: 17 Apr. 2009
Some redesign. The original design and concept aren't mine of course.

Update: 24 Apr. 2009
Another redesign.

Updates: 4 May 2009
Character designs as for now. Real robot is all about the plot and characters. The mechs are just for show. :P
Sam Albright (uncolored lineart)
Anselm Cassius a. k. a. Lord Commander/Emperor Anselm (uncolored lineart)
Godwin "Steelhead" Avalon (uncolored lineart)

Update: 18 May 2009
Panther G-1 khaki and brown color scheme

Update: 21 May 2009
Panther G-3 redesign
Panther G-2 (colored)

Update: 22 May 2009
Panther G-3 (colored)

Update: 08 Jun. 2009
Tigerwolf
colored version

Update: 20 Jun. 2009
Crappy Zaku II fanart
Last edited by young_oldtype on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
Sume Gai

I like some of those designs particularly the Rigel. It reminds me of the Raptor (Z.O.E.)
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
young_oldtype

Yeah I noticed they're quite similar.^^
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Wingnut

Actually, those look quite good, aside from the fact that most of them look seriously top heavy.
Either enlarging the overall size of the legs, or shrinking the overall size of the torso should help fix this. Proportions need not change otherwise.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
young_oldtype

This calls for a little redraw then.^^

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
ORegan

Re: Mech Designs by Young_Oldtype

young_oldtype wrote:*Dons flame-proof suit*
Forgive me
You are forgiven. :D

I like 'em, I like em alot. I especially like the Reigal's animalistic feel with the head and right arm. The actually remind me a bit of the Baund Doc
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
young_oldtype

Thanks. Well I based the Rigel's original head from that of the bandit leader from Samurai 7. I kinda forgot how I ended up with the new one.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
assault gundam

My favorite is definitively the riegle.
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
young_oldtype

Wow, you guys seem to love non-humanoids you know. ^^

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Outlaw

Those are pretty good, personally I prefer the Panther(s). I think it's the head design that does it for me; very sleek. Though I do agree that they seem a little top heavy, just bulk up the legs a little and that should do it.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
young_oldtype

^Well, it's finally done in this one. I kinda liked its new legs though the ink's still a bit crappy. :)

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Thread revival. I need your comments on this people. Same thing as in the first post.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
assault gundam

why do you constantly say, "I've finally got the guts to post these." I mean, dude, they are amazing!. Yes they were a litle top heavy but that doesn't take away from the fact that they are really good designs. Just because you don't think that people won't like them doesn't mean that they won't.
Anyway, I like the new ship and the two mechs that are colored look amazing!
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
Dynames

young_oldtype wrote:*Dons flame-proof suit*
Forgive me but I just gotta post these worthless humble works of mine. I did not shade them for the sake of color enhancement. I'll be open to your suggestions people since my style is getting a bit stagnant recently.^^

PS: Does anyone here know of any site where I can get some tutorials for drawing battleships? Or how about some tips? I simply don't like my own idea of redesigning the Zamouth Jeth and giving it a new name. Thanks a lot!^^

Edit: OK, so I've finally got the guts to post these things. feel free to comment on the color schemes -- I'm still not that good at camo...

Edit: 31 Aug. 2008 - Got my first warship uploaded. Feel free to flame me on this one. And well, I'd really appreciate design critique, tips and suggestions.^^
Your ship looks like its from the Crossbone vanguard
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
Wingnut

Dynames wrote:Your ship looks like its from the Crossbone vanguard
Seeing as he says it was based on one of the CB ships from the F91 movie in the DA comments I should hope it does.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
young_oldtype

Dynames wrote:Your ship looks like its from the Crossbone vanguard
Ahh yes, of course, the Zamouth Jeth.I've got two earlier prototype sketches based entirely on it. Sucks for me though. Impetus is designed from scratch using whatever I've gleaned from CB, SEED and GAINAX-designed ships. It doesn't look like a franken, yes?
Wingnut wrote:Seeing as he says it was based on one of the CB ships from the F91 movie in the DA comments I should hope it does.
It's got nothing to do with the Vanguard really. I'll be using it somewhere else. Crazy stuff in my brain you know.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Alright guys I think I need your help here. Friends of mine commented on the left foot of my mecha and I don't get what they're trying to tell me. If anyone finds the problem, kindly please tell me what it is and also how to fix it.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
SolidSpidr

young_oldtype wrote:Alright guys I think I need your help here. Friends of mine commented on the left foot of my mecha and I don't get what they're trying to tell me. If anyone finds the problem, kindly please tell me what it is and also how to fix it.
Alright let me try, I think what there trying to get at is that it doesn't really match up with the other foot. The left is a little taller than the right foot and seems stretched while your left leg is a little shorter than the right. If you look at the mech as a whole this is easily overlooked but when you point it out it is quite noticeable.

A good rule of thumb I follow is that in a 3/4 view like that the right leg should extend a little farther than the right. My Paladin is a good way to see this. the left foot extends about a line more than the right. To further the point some lineart from MAHQ, Exia, here its the same thing, the left foot which is presented in a front view compared to the rest of the mech, goes just a bit farther down.
With this we can see the other critical point. Really only the front of the foot is drawn on the left of your mech. The 'meat' persay of the middle is not represented. Usually in a mech the middle is the thickest as the mechs weight goes to the middle then distributes to the front and rear of the feet. In your drawing the middle is just vertical lines while the front gets more definition with some side angles.

Okay I think I covered it and I hope I just didn't make it even more complicated (I have a tendency to do that to people). Anyways great drawings, I really enjoy the look of them. Your Impetus class cruiser is a really great design. I hope you do more ships as you have a definite nak for them.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
young_oldtype

SolidSpidr wrote: Okay I think I covered it and I hope I just didn't make it even more complicated (I have a tendency to do that to people).
Thanks a lot for that, it truly is a great help.^^ I've read the whole post word by word and I hope I missed not a detail. I guess I just gotta put a few add ons in the middle and stride the right leg sideward to the right. I think I also get the foot thing. I'll be redrawing this week I suppose(yeah X-1 and the Panthers), should I not get lazy. Again, thanks a whole lot.^^ And I really do hope I can get my own style on drawing battleships.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Probably my last time to double post in this thread. Gotta revive this babe.
AS Aelfgar Holland (Packard class)
AW-4 Fomalhaut

See bullcrap here.
Praxis