Ep. 017 - Well Done, Bernie. Well Done.

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Kavik Ryx

I have to admit that I did not really notice the whole "War of Boy Love" thing when I saw 0080, nor in Soul Bro's AMV. That aside, War in the Pocket is in so many ways the most riveting, followed by Victory. I forgot if you guys mentioned it or not, but there is this one moment that is forever etched in my mind when Al witnesses firefighters carrying away a child's dead body. For me, that was the defining moment of the OVA.
Destiny_Gundam

Finally sat down to listen to it. Great show. Really wish I could have joined you guys. Two things that come to mind:

Nadesico Prince of Darkness was the only worth while part of the franchise. There, I said it.

I've said it numerous times, but JYB is [at best] a poor Lelouch. Hell, he's not even Lelouch. He's Ichigo. I can dig him as 'student Lelouch' but he fails big time as Zero. I just can't understand why everyone keeps praising him for his performance.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Really good show guys especially the phone in part I was very eager to see how it played out and I am not disapointed. I will admit I haven't seen much of the UC OVA's mainly the TV shows and movies so I need to sit down and watch all of them.

I wasn't surprised to hear that my listener news suggestion wasn't said I know I was pushing it to make it link up with Gundam or anything like that so I'm not disappointed.

And on a further note Soul Bro I thought you might have had more to say with the infamous locker of pleasure scene, because when I saw that scene myself I thought I can not wait till the review on Gundamn to hear what YOu have to say and I was a bit disapointed.
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
Areku

Finally back from my hiatus, sorry I wasn't able to help with the runtimes like usual. Was hoping the show would come out before my 10 hour drive to Norfolk / Virginia Beach last Tuesday morning so I would have something to save me from the sparse radio in the West Virginian mountains, but alas.

I too enjoyed 0080, and I think you guys covered all the highlights. I personally felt Al got a little too much screen time, and while the profound changes he went thorough were a fundamental part of the show, there are times when I watch it that I just get tired of him. Bernie will always be the star to me. Also, just from listening, I couldn't tell if you guys thought Al should or should not have told Christina about what happened. What are your thoughts on that?

I enjoyed the call-in section. I may not have a mike, but I look forward to hearing more of it in the future.

As for Suzaku and ep. 13, as far as I know, I was the first one to posit that theory. The whole point of it was to point out that we weren't explicitly certain of what happened, and given some of the other curve balls the show has thrown us, I didn't think we should assume anything. Unfortunately, hindsight shows that I was just opening a can of worms, and I'm sorry it went the way it did.
Chris
Administrator

Areku wrote:As for Suzaku and ep. 13, as far as I know, I was the first one to posit that theory. The whole point of it was to point out that we weren't explicitly certain of what happened, and given some of the other curve balls the show has thrown us, I didn't think we should assume anything. Unfortunately, hindsight shows that I was just opening a can of worms, and I'm sorry it went the way it did.
Except that it was explicitly clear, even before episode 14 aired. Rolo activated his Geass, and the next time we see Shirley, she's shot with the gun she was carrying. That left absolutely zero room for doubt, so I don't see why people everywhere even began discussing Suzaku as a possibility.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Areku

Chris wrote:Except that it was explicitly clear, even before episode 14 aired. Rolo activated his Geass, and the next time we see Shirley, she's shot with the gun she was carrying. That left absolutely zero room for doubt, so I don't see why people everywhere even began discussing Suzaku as a possibility.
Well, like I originally said when I first posted it, I found it highly unlikely that it wasn't Rolo, but the problem arises from our differing opinions on "explicitly clear". In my case, if I don't see Rolo pull the trigger or admit to doing so, it's not absolute, no matter how unlikely any other possibilities are. Ep. 14 settled that, and I wasn't under the impression that I personally crammed this theory down anyone's throat (and have accepted responsibility for starting it in the first place), so I think you're now overreacting somewhat.
Chris
Administrator

Areku wrote:I wasn't under the impression that I personally crammed this theory down anyone's throat (and have accepted responsibility for starting it in the first place), so I think you're now overreacting somewhat.
Don't be in a hurry to get so offended. When I mentioned it in the podcast, I wasn't referring to anyone in specific starting it, just the phenomenon of the discussion itself.
manmiles

Loved the show, especially the Gundamn Live! part.

One thing- in the 0080 section, you mentioned that the show was the first 'chronological' appearence of a woman as the Gundam pilot. But surely Sayla's few occurances as piloting the RX-78 (two... and only one of those was actually under orders.) would count her as being the first Gundam pilot.

That's just my two pence.
Battosai28

manmiles wrote:Loved the show, especially the Gundamn Live! part.

One thing- in the 0080 section, you mentioned that the show was the first 'chronological' appearence of a woman as the Gundam pilot. But surely Sayla's few occurances as piloting the RX-78 (two... and only one of those was actually under orders.) would count her as being the first Gundam pilot.

There is also Karen Joshua from 08th MS team
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Chris
Administrator

manmiles wrote:One thing- in the 0080 section, you mentioned that the show was the first 'chronological' appearence of a woman as the Gundam pilot. But surely Sayla's few occurances as piloting the RX-78 (two... and only one of those was actually under orders.) would count her as being the first Gundam pilot.

At the time, Christina was the first regularly assigned female Gundam pilot. Sayla stole the Gundam once and used it under orders once, so she really doesn't count as a regular Gundam pilot. And since we were talking about 0080 at the time of its release, Karen doesn't count either because 08th MS Team didn't exist.
Battosai28

Chris wrote:
manmiles wrote:One thing- in the 0080 section, you mentioned that the show was the first 'chronological' appearence of a woman as the Gundam pilot. But surely Sayla's few occurances as piloting the RX-78 (two... and only one of those was actually under orders.) would count her as being the first Gundam pilot.

At the time, Christina was the first regularly assigned female Gundam pilot. Sayla stole the Gundam once and used it under orders once, so she really doesn't count as a regular Gundam pilot. And since we were talking about 0080 at the time of its release, Karen doesn't count either because 08th MS Team didn't exist.
Oh, OK. I just said that because during the podcast, you mentioned cronilogical order instead of production order. That was why I thougt Emma didn't count.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
PunchAPeach

Is the standard version coming soon? I know you guys have been busy with the comic-con episode, but I was just wondering if a standard ver. of 17 is still in the works.
Soul Bro Ryu

Sure is! After 18 is released
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
PunchAPeach

Sweet! Thanks alot SoulBro. I appreciate all of the hard work that you and the guys put into this podcast. Keep up the great stuff! And Saji is DA MAN!
snoops619

Hey SBR, Neo and/or Chris,
Have you got another live call-in show planned anytime soon? And if so, when? 'Cause, by the power of Greyskull, I'm damn sure gonna be on it :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

snoops619 wrote:Hey SBR, Neo and/or Chris,
Have you got another live call-in show planned anytime soon? And if so, when? 'Cause, by the power of Greyskull, I'm damn sure gonna be on it :P
There are plans for another, when? don't know yet, but soon.

Keep checking the forums for more information.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
snoops619

hawk of endymion wrote:
snoops619 wrote:Hey SBR, Neo and/or Chris,
There are plans for another, when? don't know yet, but soon.

Keep checking the forums for more information.
Will do. Thanks.