Ep. 017 - Well Done, Bernie. Well Done.

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 017 - Well Done, Bernie. Well Done.

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Episode 017: "Well Done, Bernie. Well Done."
Standard Version (128 kbps) - Unplugged Version (64 kbps)
Standard Version to be posted shortly.

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:
01. Intro: Neo's News!
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:13:01
02. Another Live Show @ Yasumicon 2008: Information on "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" next live show (Aug. 2nd, 2008) at Yasumicon 2008 in Miami, FL!!!
Runtime: 0:13:02 - 0:14:27
03. Frontier Bound!: Reviews of "Macross Frontier" Eps. 5 - 9.
Runtime: 0:14:28 - 0:49:02
04. Gundam Round-up: "Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket" - a discussion about the landmark OAV series.
Runtime: 0:49:03 - 1:06:34
05. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:06:35 - 1:07:34
06. Gundamn! Live Snoopy, V2 Buster, The Goose & Battosai28 join in on "Gundamn! @ MAHQ's" first live call round table session!!!
Runtime: 1:07:34 - 1:53:41
07. Comic-Con 2008!!! Information on Neo & SBR coverage for the upcoming mega-convention in San Diego.
Runtime: 1:53:42 - 1:55:13
08. Outro: Shoutouts and chicanery.
Runtime: 1:55:14 - 1:59:29
Unplugged Ver. Duration Times Listed Above

This post is dedicated to the naysayers, baby! Finally, an episode up days after recording! Much props to Snoopy, V2 Buster, The Goose & Battosai28 for being part of our premiere segment, "Gundamn! Live" and for those that missed out, keep checking here, or MAHQ.net or Gundamn.net for info on when we'll be doing it again.

Neo & I are off to Comic-Con! Check Gundamn.net for articles about the experience and info on what mecha related news we stumble upon. We're
psyched and we hope we can provide some info the other blogs out there might miss out on reporting.

Wish us luck!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep The Websites:
[email protected]
www.MAHQ.net
http://GundamnMAHQ.Blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

Main RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

Unplugged Episodes Only RSS Feed:
http://www.mevio.com/feeds/gundamnunplugged.xml

Hi-Fi Episodes Only RSS Feed:
http://www.mevio.com/feeds/gundamnhifi.xml
(Currently hosting Episodes 12, 13 & 15 @ 128 kbps.)

Garma Strikes! - Featuring "Gundamn! @ MAHQ - The Soundtrack":
http://www.MySpace.com/GarmaStrikes
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
wonton bob

Wow. Big props to you Soul Bro for working into the wee hours of the night and putting this up. I'm looking forward to this right after work. You guys are really getting better with every show and with Soul being able to pop these out quickly ....do I dare say it.....a show twice a week?
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
V2Buster

I hope Peter is on next time so I can fanboy over Nanoha with him.
Battosai28

God I sound sexy 8)

(ok, so I haven't actually listened to it yet)
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Wingnut

Hey, I got mentioned! Anyway, the call-in kinds stole the show with this episode to the point where the roundup on 0080 almost seemed like an afterthought. (I can't stand the music for it either.)

As the former unofficial leader of that old Colosseum, I must say that the best matches were the ones that were the most unusual. The "Battle of the Craptacular" series was most notable for stuff like that (Zaku I vs. Leo, Ball vs. Oggo vs. Mistral, the tripod fight and many others). One I even came up with after it closed was putting Boss Barot up vs. Daiguard. Two junk "super" robots going at it.
Oh, and those Zeon troops on the hover bikes would win over the Petite, Bright's chair, and the homo avis any day. :P
Seriously I do agree that it became like Luke, Han and co. trying to hold back the Death Star trash compacter walls after a certain point. An exercise in futility to try and maintain some kind of order there.

Chris, now if anyone else ever asks you what your favorite Gundam or other mech is again, you can just point them here and be done with it.

I also agree that many mecha shows these days are blurring the line between super and real types more and more. And even like GaoGaiGar with the more realistic looking combining sequence and the seemingly more super robot level real types in what many would consider a real robot show.

On the VA subject, Setsuna will be Brad Swalie's fourth Gundam pilot that he has voiced in his career. The previous three being Quatre, Amuro, and Dearka, so he's been around the Gundam scene quite a bit.

I never got to hear Steve Blum's slurpee commericial, but one of my favorite roles of his was as Roger Smith in Big O. His voice fit the role like a glove.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Battosai28

Wingnut wrote: On the VA subject, Setsuna will be Brad Swalie's fourth Gundam pilot that he has voiced in his career. The previous three being Quatre, Amuro, and Dearka, so he's been around the Gundam scene quite a bit.
Actualy, its his fifth. You forgot to mention Auel Neider from Destiny (who fought another voice actor of Amuro)

I forgot to mention during the show that I found it interesting that in both English and Japanese, Setsuna and Yagami Light (Deathnote) are played by the same person. Just one of those weird facts.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Destiny_Gundam

V2Buster wrote:I hope Peter is on next time so I can fanboy over Nanoha with him.
*Laugh* While I'd love that, I'm sure we'd just start arguing about how I don't think they're canon lesbians. Seems to happen with every Nanoha fan I talk to.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
The Chief

Another Fantastic episode guys! Soul Bro about Mobile Ops... didn't know if you knew about the demo that came out on Japanese Marketplace. The game is actually pretty good.(from the demo anyway) Again I thought I'd let you know about it in case you didn't.
XBL GT: Gladiator 01
PSN: ShadowWolf117
V2Buster

Destiny_Gundam wrote:*Laugh* While I'd love that, I'm sure we'd just start arguing about how I don't think they're canon lesbians. Seems to happen with every Nanoha fan I talk to.
Nah, they're just good friends. Nanoha x Yuuto imo.
Destiny_Gundam

V2Buster wrote:Nah, they're just good friends. Nanoha x Yuuto imo.
Yuuno

But YES some one who agrees with me!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
V2Buster

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Yuuno

But YES some one who agrees with me!
Sorry, Yuuno had so little screentime during StrikerS that I forgot. I was thinking Ferret Changeling for the longest time (damn you Chrono!).
Teki

Man so pissed had to work a double shift on sunday and missed the call in. stupid 13 hours shift... but man was Bernie's Lament funny... i couldn't stop laughing at times with innuendo's don't on accident
wielder

Good show, as usual.

I didn't really watch all the way through 0080 when I first had the chance, but it was hard not to be spoiled about what happened in the end at the time, so maybe I'll go back and finish it. Fun overview and commentary from you guys, in any case. Looking forward to F-91's.

Macross Frontier...I still need to watch even a single episode of this, but that's fine too. I'll probably forget most of the spoilers by the time I get around to it anyways. That's what usually happens to me.

The live segment was pretty enjoyable. Not really a fan of English dubs, to be honest, so I've never been decently exposed to many of the actors involved, but I think Code Geass had a good one after all. I actually like Lelouch's VA and most of the main cast, no real complaints. Gundam 00...seems a little sketchy, but it's too early to tell.

Even if it's partially redundant and marginally rant-y, I'd like to make a few points...I think R2's still fairly within the limits of a Real Robot show...yes, technology has progressed very quickly -though certain things like the flight packs were already in existence so they didn't come out of nowhere, they just got more widespread after a year or so-, but then again I think Super Robots aren't just about having overpowered weapons: it's also about how the pilot and the mecha interact, a key area where Code Geass hasn't really changed and is very different from, say, Mazinger Z or even Gurren Lagann.

I mean, even in Gundam 0083 and Zeta you eventually get around to seeing some ridiculously overpowered stuff, but they're still Real Robot shows at heart. I absolutely agree that the lines haven't always been too clear, and maybe some Super Robot-esque aesthetics / tropes are involved, because there's the whole issue with unique prototype machines vs. mass production "grunt" suits and all that, but even if a lot of modern mecha shows seem to be following a "hybrid" trend, like you guys wisely mentioned, there's usually a dominant side, Super or Real.

As for R2's Turn 13...what happened, happened and I also couldn't believe how many people were trying to come up with crazy theories involving characters who weren't even there, so :P to those who did so anyways.

PS: I think Nanoha is one of those franchises were it's better to just vaguely imply things to keep all fan-bases happy. Everybody wins...sort of.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
NastyNate

I would so love to call in on the next show, but I don't quit understand the skype stuff. I went to the website and there is all kinds of opptions to buy. So what exactly do I need to purchase (including talking devices)?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
NightFall

Great ep. guys! I really liked the extra cast members you guys were craking me up. I want to just put this out there how about getting some of the other FTS cast members to guest on the show?
NightFall

Wow soul bro! Sleeper cell and bsg mentions in the same ep! I would also like to know what your father is on!
V2Buster

NastyNate wrote:I would so love to call in on the next show, but I don't quit understand the skype stuff. I went to the website and there is all kinds of opptions to buy. So what exactly do I need to purchase (including talking devices)?
You only need to pay for Skype if you wish to use it for Internet to Phone calling. Otherwise it works exactly like MSN or AIM except you talk instead of type.
Battosai28

NastyNate wrote:I would so love to call in on the next show, but I don't quit understand the skype stuff. I went to the website and there is all kinds of opptions to buy. So what exactly do I need to purchase (including talking devices)?
It was my first time using it during the show, so it obviously isn't complicated. The only thing you need to buy is a mike or headset if you don't have one. My laptop has a mike installed, so all I needed to wory about was unwanted sound pickup :lol:
snoops619

NightFall wrote:I want to just put this out there how about getting some of the other FTS cast members to guest on the show?
Heck yes.

I really enjoyed participating in this episode. In fact, I may call in every live segment as long as I wasn't so aweful that I made this episode 'The Scottish episode' among the fans. :wink:
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
NightFall

snoops619 wrote:
NightFall wrote:I want to just put this out there how about getting some of the other FTS cast members to guest on the show?
Heck yes.

I really enjoyed participating in this episode. In fact, I may call in every live segment as long as I wasn't so aweful that I made this episode 'The Scottish episode' among the fans. :wink:
Hey this is really great that they are letting people call in now. I was so taken aback when I saw that there was a podcast for gundam fans and I have been a rabid fan ever since I first listened to podcast number 8. 8) FTS Is also a great show however they stoped doing the show I belive. :(