Ep. 016 - Mecha Potpourri (Anime, Industry, CC)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Battosai28

hawk of endymion wrote: I'll let Soul Bro know. I normally listen to it through my Ipod, so I can't really offer any solutions with media player. I'll test it myself when I get home.

Based on their shared stupdity, I think Kou and Nina deserved each other. Let's hope they didn't reproduce.
Oh dear God, the poor child would forget to breath.

Regarding the media player, it is probably a problem on my end, but it is worth mentioning I think in case anyone else had the same issue.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
wraith1701

Great show Gundamn crew; I really enjoyed it. It's been said before, but I'll repeat it- thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for taking the time to put out a Gundam/Mecha specific podcast! You guys help to fill a huge void in the podcasting landscape.

Keep 'em coming!
Kavik Ryx

hawk of endymion wrote:
sephus16 wrote: And thank god no more Katz, Hathaway, and Quess.
Maybe so, but you still have to deal with Al, Kou, Quatre and Ralena.
Eh, Quatre wasn't too bad, but I digress. Relena though, I almost can't wait I hated her so much. Though that's neither here nor there. Though with all the psychos in V Gundam, how are you going to get through that?
Destiny_Gundam

Couple of follow up comments

To pimp out Nanoha more (as is my fanboy ways), I offer these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fHLuiYjQek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmqKFIa8q6o

I'm happy to report that Nanoha will finally be getting an R1 release thanks to Funimation picking up Geneon's titles. I'm stoaked.

Also, despite what you may hear on the internet, Nanoha is not a shoujo-ai show. Its focus is on friendship and family. And giant magical blasts to the face.

And this is the main reason why Reideen the Superior is said to be 'gayer than Wing'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqVS2KX1VG0

The reason there's so much male nudity in this show is because when they transform, their clothes rip off. When they un-transform, they're buck naked, which leads to all sorts of hilarious situations.

A bit of a shame we didn't do the industry segment after this weekend, since AX brought in a whole slew of R1 news. Bandai continues to be a stable pillar, maybe just a little stronger than before. Funimation also continues to dominate the scene, rescuing both Geneon and ADV titles.

All hail Funimation! Our R1 Anime Kings!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
VentZX

Destiny_Gundam wrote:'gayer than Wing'
Dude, you weren't kidding. That was WAY too much man ass for my tastes.

Anyhow, enjoyed the show as always. The CCA discussion in particular. Don't have much to say about the State of Anime discussion except that I'll most likely be buying the Gurren Lagann DVD soon. That's a series I completely missed out on when it aired in Japan so God bless Bandai for rescuing that show.
V2Buster

I agree with Destiny Gundam, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is a straight up super robot show disguised as a girl's show. The series is more hot blooded mecha(esque) action than Code Geass.

Also shout out to Soul Bro for another job well done, you know a man loves his work when he chuckles at his own jokes.
Wingnut

From what I hear about Nanoha's power, this video does not exaggerate at all.
Showing that Zeon is no match for the "White Devil".
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Cybaster

Wingnut wrote:On CCA, I have to agree that as bad and bitchy as Quess was, Hathaway was worse. Most notably when he went nuts on Chan, who didn't deserve what she got at all. (Plus he blew up the Re-GZ! That punk!)
He's not worthy of his family name. Our hopes ride on Cheimin for the future of the Noa line.
At least in every single incarnation Hathaway appears in save SD Gundam, he got what he deserved. 8) Hathaway's Flash got him Bright-slapped permanently by his own father after pulling some awesome with the Xi Gundam (he almost won, too! Mafty had actually managed to destroy almost half the Federation Senate in an earlier attack), and Gundam Evolve pretty much showed us what would've happened to Hathaway if Chan hadn't intervened --- Quess went psychotic and blew his Jegan into pieces.

Sure, it's implied he survived the end of the latter, but we like to dream. :P
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Chris
Administrator

Cybaster wrote:At least in every single incarnation Hathaway appears in save SD Gundam, he got what he deserved. 8) Hathaway's Flash got him Bright-slapped permanently by his own father after pulling some awesome with the Xi Gundam (he almost won, too! Mafty had actually managed to destroy almost half the Federation Senate in an earlier attack), and Gundam Evolve pretty much showed us what would've happened to Hathaway if Chan hadn't intervened --- Quess went psychotic and blew his Jegan into pieces.

Sigh.... I don't know how many times this has to be explained. The events of Hathaway's Flash follow Beltorchika's Children, not the CCA movie, so Hathaway's character is very different because he was the one who killed Quess, and Chan never existed.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote:Sigh.... I don't know how many times this has to be explained. The events of Hathaway's Flash follow Beltorchika's Children, not the CCA movie, so Hathaway's character is very different because he was the one who killed Quess, and Chan never existed.
I know that, but with the complete lack of information about Hathaway's fate in the anime continuality, I like to think that something similar to Hathaway's Flash happened.
V2Buster

I would like to add that I'm amazed that Destiny Gundam didn't elaborate on the attacks in Nanoha that parallel super robot finishers, such as Subaru's Divine Buster looking almost exactly like GaoGaiGar's Broken Phantom or how Fate's Bardiche Zamber form resembles Thrudgelmir's Zankantou from SRW.

You would have won over those unbelievers for sure, Peter!
Wingnut

V2Buster wrote:I would like to add that I'm amazed that Destiny Gundam didn't elaborate on the attacks in Nanoha that parallel super robot finishers, such as Subaru's Divine Buster looking almost exactly like GaoGaiGar's Broken Phantom or how Fate's Bardiche Zamber form resembles Thrudgelmir's Zankantou from SRW.

You would have won over those unbelievers for sure, Peter!
Allow me to illustrate then. Broken Phantom and Thrudgelmir Zankantou.
Many on /m/ were disappointed when after getting the left hand counterpart to her own right hand glove, Subaru didn't get to do a Hell and Heaven style attack.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Eh, one of those things I didn't think of until after we recorded the show. There's also this thing.

Also, Zeorymer Nanoha is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. Too bad it seems the youtube video has since been removed.
V2Buster

Wingnut wrote: Many on /m/ were disappointed when after getting the left hand counterpart to her own right hand glove, Subaru didn't get to do a Hell and Heaven style attack.
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't happen, but the previous ep has Nanoha going Nu Gundam on Vivio so really can't complain.
Cybaster

Chris wrote:
Cybaster wrote:At least in every single incarnation Hathaway appears in save SD Gundam, he got what he deserved. 8) Hathaway's Flash got him Bright-slapped permanently by his own father after pulling some awesome with the Xi Gundam (he almost won, too! Mafty had actually managed to destroy almost half the Federation Senate in an earlier attack), and Gundam Evolve pretty much showed us what would've happened to Hathaway if Chan hadn't intervened --- Quess went psychotic and blew his Jegan into pieces.

Sigh.... I don't know how many times this has to be explained. The events of Hathaway's Flash follow Beltorchika's Children, not the CCA movie, so Hathaway's character is very different because he was the one who killed Quess, and Chan never existed.
I know that (I've explained that to people myself all too many times =P), but the fact remains --- he became Mafty because of Quess, and tried to be a mini-Char because that's what Quess likes and (as Hathaway thinks) wants him to be. He's more restrained than Char, however, hence why Mafty is in effect Gundam's very first true terrorist faction as opposed to a full-scale military force.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
The Chief

Another fantastic episode fellas! It really is nice to have these walking around the campus seeing as its such a big place. Neo I also have to agree that that scene with Bright and the chair is... well I can't really describe how cool it is, it just is!
XBL GT: Gladiator 01
PSN: ShadowWolf117
Leroy Landers

Great show guys! I can't get enough of discussion on the state of the industry I hope you will revisit that topic in the future.
manmiles

I really enjoyed your article on the state of the Anime Industry.

But while I agree that the mecha genre is one that gets relativly shafted in the West. The same has become true for the manga industry, apart from Osamu Teszuka, none of the pioneering artists of the manga medium have every really gotten a substantial release over here- especially Go Nagai and Matsumoto (Matsumoto had five volumes of his 2nd Galaxy Express 999 manga released by Viz back in the 90s and Go Nagai has had... a few bits of Devil Man and a Getter Robo manga released as 'Venger Robo'). It is primarily either the main shounen titles (from Shounen Jump and Viz) or shoujo that has a primary foothold on the Western Manga Shelves and that Science-Fiction manga itself is almost impossible to come by anymore... although the original Star Trek pseudo-manga is a fun read, but that's neither here nor there, there is no 'space opera-esque' manga out there.

Of course, I do live in the UK and we get more shafted than the US when it comes to mech anime and manga.
Merbum

Hey, awesome podcast as usual with a lot of things I enjoyed.

First off good to hear Destiny's take on the topics presented here.
Second there was a lot of Anime brought up that I have seen like Samurai 7 which is a personal favorite of mine and I would be happy to share my opinions on it at some point.
Lastly I have to agree with the ratings on Char's Counterattack. It was incredible, epic, and a good end to a good rivalry as well.

All in all, excellent podcast guys and I look forward to hearing more in the future!
I live in Saskatchewan, future home of the Saskatchewan GUNDAM!
goufx

hey guys, you are doing great with the podcast. this was a great episode, got lots of info. hey destiny, nice job as well.