Ep. 016 - Mecha Potpourri (Anime, Industry, CC)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 016 - Mecha Potpourri (Anime, Industry, CC)

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Episode 016: "Mecha Potpourri"
Standard Version (128 kbps) - Unplugged Version (64 kbps)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:
01. Intro: Neo's News!
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:07:48
02. Comic-Con 2008!!! Information on Neo & SBR coverage for the upcoming mega-convention in San Diego.
Runtime: 0:07:48 - 0:09:20
03. Mecha Potpourri: Roundtable Discussion - "What other mecha anime series are you watching recently?"
Runtime: 0:09:20 - 0:52:15
04. Anime Industry Roundtable Discussion - "The State of the Insustry in North America currently and what it means to Mecha Anime."
Runtime: 0:52:15 - 0:00:00
05. Gundam Round-up!: "Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack"
Runtime: 1:41:04 - 2:04:33
06. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:04:33 - 2:05:58
07. Outro: Destiny Gundam rocks the mic!
Runtime: 2:05:58 - 2:08:38
Mad propers to Areku for the runtimes!

Man, it took me awhile to get this up, but here it is! I'll expand more on this later, but enjoy for now and look for updates on this thread soon!

Peace,

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep The Websites:
[email protected]
www.MAHQ.net
http://GundamnMAHQ.Blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

Main RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

Unplugged Episodes Only RSS Feed:
http://www.mevio.com/feeds/gundamnunplugged.xml

Hi-Fi Episodes Only RSS Feed:
http://www.mevio.com/feeds/gundamnhifi.xml
(Currently hosting Episodes 12, 13 & 15 @ 128 kbps.)

Garma Strikes! - Featuring "Gundamn! @ MAHQ - The Soundtrack":
http://www.MySpace.com/GarmaStrikes
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

My, who's that sexy bastard you got to co-host with you? I want to have his children! :wink:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Zero Revenge

Destiny_Gundam wrote:My, who's that sexy bastard you got to co-host with you? I want to have his children! :wink:
Um... aren't you ....nevermind.
Areku

Destiny_Gundam wrote:My, who's that sexy bastard you got to co-host with you? I want to have his children! :wink:
Well, in the event you do have his children, I'd be interested in seeing what a mess the DNA is....

Another good episode, although I can't really think of anything to comment on. Haven't seen any of the series that were discussed, and have never paid much attention to anime companies (just go with what I like / looks interesting). Nevertheless, you guys always make it interesting, and well worth the two hours.
Wingnut

First off a tech related thing that resulted in some odd audio that had to do with funny feedback when talking to Peter on whatever it was (a phone?). There were echos at times and voices changed pitch and such at random. I don't know if that was something on his end or yours, but it did make for one funny moment where Chris and Peter were going back and forth on what might have or might not have been worth the cost during the segment on the various companies and when Chris was disagreeing with Peter it sounded like he was speaking through a bullhorn or something at Peter while chewing him out for spending too much money.

On CCA, I have to agree that as bad and bitchy as Quess was, Hathaway was worse. Most notably when he went nuts on Chan, who didn't deserve what she got at all. (Plus he blew up the Re-GZ! That punk!)
He's not worthy of his family name. Our hopes ride on Cheimin for the future of the Noa line.

The discussion on Nanai, looking back again it's something that a lot of people overlook. Char even hinted himself that he wouldn't mind settling down with her after finishing things with Amruo just before the final sortie, and Beltorchika's Children makes this even more explicit by him kissing her on the bridge of the Rewloola before he left.

Edit: The lack of Sayla in the movie annoys me and no doubt countless others as well.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Wingnut wrote:First off a tech related thing that resulted in some odd audio that had to do with funny feedback when talking to Peter on whatever it was (a phone?). There were echos at times and voices changed pitch and such at random.
Yeah, I just use the mic built into my webcam, which is rather crappy. Next time I'll be sure to install Skype on my laptop and use its built in mic.
Wingnut wrote:He's not worthy of his family name. Our hopes ride on Cheimin for the future of the Noa line.
I dunno if we want cross dressing 'princesses' mixed into our Noa blood though...
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Wingnut wrote:He's not worthy of his family name. Our hopes ride on Cheimin for the future of the Noa line.
I dunno if we want cross dressing 'princesses' mixed into our Noa blood though...
That's an AU in my book so hopefully the fully female and full sized version will choose wisely when picking a husband.

PS. None will be worse than Katz, not even Quess or Hathaway.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
sephus16

I loved the show. Can't wait for the standard edition, but I am definitely excited about these quiker turn outs on the shows.

Keep up the awesomeness. And thank god no more Katz, Hathaway, and Quess.
Last edited by sephus16 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Areku

sephus16 wrote:I loved the show. Can't wait for the standard edition, but I am definitely excited about these quiker turn outs on the shows.

Keep up the awesomeness. And thank god now more Katz, Hathaway, and Quess.
Most ironic typo I've seen in a while, too good to resist.
Sume Gai

I thought it was hilarious when Chris got the "echo-y voice" while bashing BVUSA.

Edit:

was it just me or did you guys skip over Media Blasters?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Battosai28

Wow, it shure is great to have an episode that actually isn't cut to shreds for once (jk Soul Bro). I'd have to agree with Neo that Bright coming up from the combat bridge to the main bridge was what made CCA epic :D

Regarding Quess and Hathaway, I never actually had a problem with either of them. If I had to deal with either one of them for an entire series, well, things may have been different (cough Katz cough). To me, Hathaway was just naive while Quess was really just being drawn to other newtypes (this, combined with her agreement with Char, explains her instant switch to Neo Zeon). Her family situation just made things that much worse.

Oh yeah. TRANSFORMERS SHOUTOUT
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

sephus16 wrote: And thank god no more Katz, Hathaway, and Quess.
Maybe so, but you still have to deal with Al, Kou, Quatre and Ralena.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Wingnut

hawk of endymion wrote:
Maybe so, but you still have to deal with Al, Kou, Quatre and Relena.
Dealing with those four is a picnic compared to the previous three, and except for Kou they all grow out of their annoying phase.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Wingnut wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
Maybe so, but you still have to deal with Al, Kou, Quatre and Relena.
Dealing with those four is a picnic compared to the previous three, and except for Kou they all grow out of their annoying phase.
Maybe, but I did forget about Nina Purpleton. If there is a female version of Katz it would be Nina.
Last edited by hawk of endymion on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Wingnut

hawk of endymion wrote:Maybe, but I did forget about Nina Purpleton. If there is female version of Katz it would be Nina.
Yeah, her I have almost no sympathy for, especially after the GP-01 and -02 were destroyed.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
hawk of endymion

Wingnut wrote:Yeah, her I have almost no sympathy for, especially after the GP-01 and -02 were destroyed.
And then she shot Kou later on. Man, she could be worst than Katz, since Katz was just stupid.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Battosai28

hawk of endymion wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Yeah, her I have almost no sympathy for, especially after the GP-01 and -02 were destroyed.
And then she shot Kou later on. Man, she could be worst than Katz, since Katz was just stupid.
I don't know who's dumber: Nina for shooting Kou, or Kou for staying with the chick who shot him.

On a side note, I did forget to mention a problem with the podcast. When I originally tried to watch it, I used window's meida player, which is how I usually listen to it. For the first time, it did not work. This wasn't a big deal because it worked in itunes, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Other than that, great job.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
prince_of_zeon

I listened to it through media player and I didn't have any problems at all. Check your computer.

All those characters from 0083 were dumb, except for my man (sorry SoulBro) Gato. Sometimes I forgot he was the antagonist. But that's a different topic for a different day.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Battosai28

prince_of_zeon wrote:I listened to it through media player and I didn't have any problems at all. Check your computer.
hmm, I will. Either I need to update my player or my computer screwed up downloading it. Sorry to throw the blame your way guys.
hawk of endymion

Battosai28 wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
I don't know who's dumber: Nina for shooting Kou, or Kou for staying with the chick who shot him.

On a side note, I did forget to mention a problem with the podcast. When I originally tried to watch it, I used window's meida player, which is how I usually listen to it. For the first time, it did not work. This wasn't a big deal because it worked in itunes, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Other than that, great job.
I'll let Soul Bro know. I normally listen to it through my Ipod, so I can't really offer any solutions with media player. I'll test it myself when I get home.

Based on their shared stupdity, I think Kou and Nina deserved each other. Let's hope they didn't reproduce.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]