Ep. 015 - A Tale of Two Zetas (ZG, CGR2, ZZ)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Sume Gai

Kavik Ryx wrote: That's gonna be interesting, 'cause Soul Bro, we already know how much you despise Quess.
wait, are you saying there are people who don't hate Quess for being a total idiot?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Destiny_Gundam

You just had to take a pot shot at me during the news segment, didn't you? My wallet is crying right now because of you.

My views on Zeta are kinda the opposite of you guy's. I don't hate Zeta or anything, but it's definitely low on my favourite Gundam series list (2nd last I guess, with Victory being at the bottom). I didn't like how dark everything was, and couldn't really enjoy myself because of it. Course I can handle dark series, but it's compounded by the fact that I found Zeta to be unessesarily long. Kinda felt dragged out and the battles seemed rather pointless as the AEUG only had a vauge goal (stopping the Titans, as opposed to the White Base that at first was just trying to get to Jaburo and then later was being sent to specific locations). I kinda watched the series in a haze, as not that much garnered a reaction out of me. Course there were several times when some great stuff happened, but the rest seemed sorta filler-ish.

As such, I much prefer the Zeta Gundam movies. They're far more compressed, so it's much easier to swallow. The stuff retained were the important stuff too. I'll probably never re-watch the TV series again (unless I get ahold of the dub) and just opt to watch the movies for my Zeta Gundam fix.

As for Double Zeta, it is by far my favourite UC TV series. I liked the characters, the mecha were pretty cool, and most of all it was fun. I watch anime so I can enjoy myself after all. Double Zeta puts a smile on my face and makes me laugh. Zeta only did that a few times. I didn't even think the Moon Moon eps were that bad. It's supposed to make you go "Ah, so there are people like this in the Universal Century..." Plus, the Endra got destroyed, so it's not like something significant didn't happened.

Don't blame yourself for losing ep 14, Soul Bro. Blame mother nature for causing that power outage. Or your neighbours for sucking all the juice. Which ever the cause was.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Areku

Hey, don't go equating Mother Nature with Demon Murphy, that's just not right...

I too was a bit underwhelmed by Zeta. Maybe it's because I set my expectations too high going in, or maybe I'm not quite as old school as I like to believe, but it just didn't seem all that special to me. Like all the other full-length UC series, by about episode 30 it felt like a chore trying to finish it. Not that it's bad, it just didn't give me a compelling reason to finish. I did enjoy the story, but like the other UC series, it just didn't feel like it was a complete package. Like others have said, the pacing was probably the biggest culprit. As you guys mentioned, it certainly has it's strengths, I can see why so many people like it, but it just didn't deliver on enough fronts to rate highly on my favorite Gundam list. The same goes for Victory and MSG; the bottom of my list goes Destiny<MSG<Zeta<Victory. This explains why I haven't seen ZZ yet, and have no desire to. If it's any consolation to UC fans, I love 0080, 08th Team, and Char's Counterattack (at least this makes more sense after seeing the two series).

But like always, it was fun listening to you guys talk about it, especially the part on Katz.
snoops619

Brilliant episode. I haven't seen Zeta or Double Zeta so it was funny to just listen to you guys talking about it and trying to imagine what the series is actually like. Imagination is cool.

I don't see why your appologising SBR. Power cuts are not your fault and the fact is that you guys put out a quality podcast every month.

All hail Britannia.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
VentZX

Chris wrote:Don't expect this segment anytime soon. None of us are exactly thrilled about the prospect of discussing these same episodes again a third time, so we won't be doing it right now - probably not until right before season 2 starts.
Heh, I figured as much. I sort of wrote that comment with a bit of sarcasm, but hey, whenever you get around to it is cool.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Sume Gai wrote:
Kavik Ryx wrote: That's gonna be interesting, 'cause Soul Bro, we already know how much you despise Quess.
wait, are you saying there are people who don't hate Quess for being a total idiot?
Uh, yeah me.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Kavik Ryx

For me, ZZ is my least favorite UC TV series. Not because it's bad or anything, I like it a lot. It's because of the quality of the other three is unbelievable. In all honesty, my least favorite UC in general is the 08th MS Team, but that's neither here nor there. I half to admit that out of all the UC full length series, ZZ has the best character chemistry. The other ones have excellent dynamic; however there is a somewhat level of emotional disconnect.
Sume Gai

If I had to list my favorite Gundam leads the list would start

1. Garrod
2. Domon
3. Judau

I really enjoyed ZZ (it was also my first experience with fansubs) and I liked many aspects of it not to mention Silent Voice is my favorite UC opening theme

also the few seconds of Wong getting his ass kicked by Judau made up for Moon Moon entirely.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

This is a good episode. There are a lot of useful things to keep in mind once I am able to get a hold of the Zetas.

There is something that I've suddenly realized. I know that the Round-Up is meant to discusss things in general, but why is it that mechanical design is never really touched upon? I know this is a subject that can drag on forever for each series, but it really is an interesting aspect that should be considered. Like, which MS really stood out in the series? What do you think of the progress of MS technology in the series? How do you happen to like the mechanical themes/designs for this series, and what do you think of the quality of the designers' work?

=o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Chris
Administrator

Seraphic wrote:This is a good episode. There are a lot of useful things to keep in mind once I am able to get a hold of the Zetas.

There is something that I've suddenly realized. I know that the Round-Up is meant to discusss things in general, but why is it that mechanical design is never really touched upon? I know this is a subject that can drag on forever for each series, but it really is an interesting aspect that should be considered. Like, which MS really stood out in the series? What do you think of the progress of MS technology in the series? How do you happen to like the mechanical themes/designs for this series, and what do you think of the quality of the designers' work?

=o
If we got into mecha themselves, it would make things drag on forever. Plus, I don't really think discussing opinions about which designs we like is that interesting. I don't really think it's the most important aspect, even though we're talking about mecha series. A separate topic on the subject of designs, maybe, but we'd be going on for hours and hours if we had to discuss our thoughts on designs for every show we do.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kishiria

SCHWEET! I know what I'm listening to on the plane!
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.