Ep. 013 - All Noa (Macross F, Captains & MSG)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chris
Administrator

NickM wrote:
Chris wrote:To date, I've never sat through that entire dub, just clips here and there.
I feel so offended. Here are people who haven't even seen the dub in it's entirety going around telling me that an integral part of my childhood is an abomination.
It's a terrible dub regardless, and I don't have to see the whole thing to know that. Perhaps you should take off the nostalgia glasses and see it for the garbage that it is.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Skippy438

This makes me really want to see this dub, or at least here some clips from it. Anyone have any they want to share?
Sume Gai

wingnut posted one in the submission thread and it's hilarious.

Edit: here it is

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-zXQYsYwmxo
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
TheGoose

Oh dear. That was terrible, but really funny. At least it has Steve Blum, though, I don't think his voice really fits with Char. Its a bit too gruff.
Skippy438

Wow ... I'm glad Steve Blum has gotten some talent and experience over the years. Now that I've heard that, didn't you guys use a clip from that in a recent Gundamn episode?
Chris
Administrator

No, we used a UK Gundam Wing toy commercial where some dork also pronounces it as GunDAMN.
Momaru

Wow now I see what you mean! That dub is rather sloppy and horribly acted. Only Char stands out as being at least tolerable. I don't remember it being that bad though...Then again, I haven't watched the movies in years. Although I can thank them for getting me totally hooked on Gundam. Well, it's just another reason for me to pick up the DVD version of the movies.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
TheGoose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOAXhokrt8

Another "classic" scene from the dubbed Gundam movies. A great highlight is when Steve Blum calls himself Sha Novel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky2LKh6KOE0

Love that voice acting. :D
Sume Gai

yeah is it just me or did a Zeon solder say "Unpossible" ?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
PunchAPeach

Other than the hilarious mispronunciation of Gundam (which would actually be perfect for a Gundamn! commercial break ) I actually found this dub to be watchable. I'd have no problem sitting through all three movies if they sound pretty much like this. Having said that, the Ocean Group's dub of the T.V. series is significantly better.
Chris
Administrator

PunchAPeach wrote:Other than the hilarious mispronunciation of Gundam (which would actually be perfect for a Gundamn! commercial break ) I actually found this dub to be watchable. I'd have no problem sitting through all three movies if they sound pretty much like this. Having said that, the Ocean Group's dub of the T.V. series is significantly better.
It's not just mispronunciations that are the problem. The dub for the first two movies have a completely inaccurate translation.