Ep. 013 - All Noa (Macross F, Captains & MSG)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chris
Administrator

NastyNate wrote:I am very much so enjoying gundamn guys. I love the gundam roundup thing. but I am like dreading the gundam wing episode because I can't stand to hear wing get bashed when it is the greatest series of all time. Shure the others are cool with the war and super robot stuff but wing is intense and it gives me goose bumps when the music goes all techno and all five team up at the end of the series.
First, you're assuming that we're going to "bash" Wing. Second, you have to be mature enough to accept the fact that just because you think Wing is the greatest series, not everyone else will share that opinion. You have to be able to see that criticism and not take it so personally just because it has to do with your favorite series.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soul Bro Ryu

Don't worry, Nate. We'll be fair with every series and discuss the pros and cons. We stated in the first ep of Gundamn! that we'd wouldn't troll any show, especially a Gundam one.

Besides, Wing has Treize and that says a whole lot. That, and we'll probably be a lot harsher on Seed Destiny than we'll ever be on wing (although we'll be fair with that too). ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Wingnut

How are you going to do the movies (CCA and F91)? Will they each get their own seperate segment, or will they both be in one episode?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:How are you going to do the movies (CCA and F91)? Will they each get their own seperate segment, or will they both be in one episode?
Each will get its own segment, even the dreaded G-Saviour.
Soul Bro Ryu

Speaking of G-Savior, I found a friend of mine that has it. I'll assume the fetal position in advance when I start watching it.

God Save the Queen.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

You should really go into G-Saviour expecting a cheesy low budget movie (which it is) rather than a thrilling installment of the Gundam franchise. Watch it with the mindset you watch SD Gundam with.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Battosai28

Speaking of G-Savior, I found a friend of mine that has it. I'll assume the fetal position in advance when I start watching it.
LOL, that's probably not a bad idea Ryu. Regarding the show, it was an excellent job as always. One notable absence in the captains segement, as least in my opinion, is Gomez from Victory Gundam. Even though the fake Jinn Gehennam was technically in command of the Reinforce Junior, Gomez was deffinately the defacto captian. I especially like how he went from being the stereotypical Federation soldier to a man willing to sacrifice his life for a cause.
Momaru

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already, but anyways I'd like to point out something. During the MS Gundam segment, it was mentioned that there is no English dub available for the movies. Technically, this is incorrect. A dub was done for the movies, but it seems to have only been included on the older VHS pressing for the movies. It was done before the TV show got licensed, so the voice actors are completely different. In any case, if you simply must have an English dub, I encourage you to seek out the VHS tapes.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Chris
Administrator

Momaru wrote:During the MS Gundam segment, it was mentioned that there is no English dub available for the movies. Technically, this is incorrect. A dub was done for the movies, but it seems to have only been included on the older VHS pressing for the movies. It was done before the TV show got licensed, so the voice actors are completely different. In any case, if you simply must have an English dub, I encourage you to seek out the VHS tapes.
No, what was said on the show isn't incorrect at all. Soul Bro said the subtitled version is the only version that's out in America. Given that the movies have been out of print on VHS for nearly 10 years, that's true. No one even watches VHS tapes anymore, so for all intents it's as if it never existed.
Mostlyjoe

Damn, now you make me feel old. Howdy folks, new listener. I was in Japan at the time Gundam first game out. I kept wanting to watch it and had to import copies back before the 90's Anime golden age here in America. Still proud of my old art books.

As a local, I laughed at the 4:00 parade line.
Momaru

Haha I guess you have a point there! It is very true that the VHS tapes must be nearly impossible to find these days, and even if you did find them, who has a VHS tape player these days? I should probably buy the DVD myself before my VHS tapes turn into unwatchable plastic bricks.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Kavik Ryx

Momaru wrote:Haha I guess you have a point there! It is very true that the VHS tapes must be nearly impossible to find these days, and even if you did find them, who has a VHS tape player these days? I should probably buy the DVD myself before my VHS tapes turn into unwatchable plastic bricks.
Actually, my family still has one VCR per each usable TV. So yeah, there still are those stuck in the 20th Century more than able to pop in those tapes if found. Then again, the fact that the dub was used again by Ban Dai probably says something about its overall quality.
NickM

Wow, that hurt. I just bought the 0083 VHS box set last week... it's awesome.

And of course I still watch the original movies on VHS. I love that dub and it should be acknowledged. After all I'm sure I'm not the only one who got sucked into Gundam through those tapes.
Chris
Administrator

NickM wrote:And of course I still watch the original movies on VHS. I love that dub and it should be acknowledged. After all I'm sure I'm not the only one who got sucked into Gundam through those tapes.
No, that dub should never be acknowledged because it's a vile abortion of dubbing. Bad casting aside, how could you watch a dub where they refer to Zeon as "roboton invaders" and throw in a bunch of Star Trek terms and other inaccuracies, aside from a very loose adaptation of the dialogue? There are very good reasons Bandai ignores that dub - and those are it.
Mostlyjoe

Chris wrote: No, that dub should never be acknowledged because it's a vile abortion of dubbing. Bad casting aside, how could you watch a dub where they refer to Zeon as "roboton invaders" and throw in a bunch of Star Trek terms and other inaccuracies, aside from a very loose adaptation of the dialogue? There are very good reasons Bandai ignores that dub - and those are it.
And I have it on tape somewhere here still. :(
Battosai28

No, that dub should never be acknowledged because it's a vile abortion of dubbing. Bad casting aside, how could you watch a dub where they refer to Zeon as "roboton invaders" and throw in a bunch of Star Trek terms and other inaccuracies, aside from a very loose adaptation of the dialogue? There are very good reasons Bandai ignores that dub - and those are it.
Haha. Now Chris, what isn't there to like about this dub. I mean, whats more true to the Japanese version than Bright Noa with a bad British accent or a Haro who can talk strait. Oh wait, I forgot, that doesn't make any sense. I'd pick the redneck black tri stars any day of the week over that dub. No offense.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Sume Gai

after watching the clip wingnut posted I have to agree it was laughably terrible; like those UK Dragonball Z dubs
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Kavik Ryx

Chris wrote:
NickM wrote:And of course I still watch the original movies on VHS. I love that dub and it should be acknowledged. After all I'm sure I'm not the only one who got sucked into Gundam through those tapes.
Well after hearing the clip Wingnut posted, I see what you mean. That's by far one of the most hilarious dubs I have ever heard. Between all the Gundamns, "Shaa", and Bright with a British accent, I'm almost surprised this didn't stop you, or any other eventual die hard Gundam fans from continuing.
Chris
Administrator

Kavik Ryx wrote:Well after hearing the clip Wingnut posted, I see what you mean. That's by far one of the most hilarious dubs I have ever heard. Between all the Gundamns, "Shaa", and Bright with a British accent, I'm almost surprised this didn't stop you, or any other eventual die hard Gundam fans from continuing.
I consider myself lucky that my first exposure to Gundam was with the subtitled Anime Village tapes, because at the time they hadn't established the Bandai Entertainment brand name or dubbed the movies. To date, I've never sat through that entire dub, just clips here and there. But if that dub had been my first exposure, well, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion because MAHQ wouldn't exist. :)
NickM

Chris wrote:To date, I've never sat through that entire dub, just clips here and there.
I feel so offended. Here are people who haven't even seen the dub in it's entirety going around telling me that an integral part of my childhood is an abomination.