Ep. 012 - They Were Elevens (Geass & Gundam Directors)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Sume Gai

hawk of endymion wrote:After seeing the clips on IGN.com, the Black Ranger sounds alright as Lelouch.
true I was on the fence about him till I heard his IGN clip

he pulled that off very well.

I think it might also be good to mention
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convent ... code-geass

as stated in the second paragraph
Mr. Goro Taniguchi, the show's original director, helped select the English voice talent for the dubbed release.
Hyakushiki

I was curious about Code Geass but your review convinced me to definitely check it out. Lelouch actually reminds me more of Reinhard Von Lohengrin from Legend of the Galactic Heroes just by his description only more cunning. I like the idea of Shinichiro Watanabe directing Gundam, whatever he came up with would be interesting and have a cool soundtrack. Some of my personal picks for director would be Yoshiaki Mine of Keroro Gunso fame, imagine what he could do with SD Gundam! My second would be whomever directs Battlestar Galactica I would love to see the original Mobile Suit Gundam done in that style of storytelling.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
wielder

Sume Gai wrote: I think it might also be good to mention
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convent ... code-geass

as stated in the second paragraph

Mr. Goro Taniguchi, the show's original director, helped select the English voice talent for the dubbed release.
To be specific, the director provided some comments and guidelines but did not select the actors himself.

See here:
GEASS Director Taniguchi-san Discusses English VAs!

Code Geass is lined up for broadcast on Adult Swim this spring! The cast members for the English version have been announced in rapid succession. And for the selections of the main cast, the localizing studio ZRO limit met directly with Mr. Taniguchi to ask for his thoughts. Before beginning, Mr. Taniguchi pointed out that in Japan and America, even if the voices and music are the same, they would create different impressions, so he was not necessarily sure that his own opinions would hold true for American audiences.

The director told them about what he placed the greatest importance on when selecting the Japanese cast, the necessary elements of each character, and the special qualities of the characters' voices. Bearing all this in mind, ZRO Limit began making its casting selections. Here, we'd like to introduce you to some of Mr. Taniguchi's comments on the key elements of Lelouch, Suzaku, and C.C.

First off, Mr. Taniguchi spoke of Lelouch's (Imperial-born) noble sophistication, intellect, and occasional theatricality as being essential parts of his personality. Also, the gentleness deep below his cold willingness to use any means necessary. He explained that, while the character may have strong negative elements, the nature of the character's voice has to contain the good part of the character which the audience would never hate, and this is an integral part of a hero.

With Suzaku, contrary to Lelouch, it is necessary for his murderous intent to be present in the nature of his voice, and that aspect of him is threatening to Lelouch, Mr. Taniguchi said. Also, the balance with Lelouch's voice is also important.

And with regards to C.C., it is important that the impression given isn't that she's beating Lelouch in terms of power politics when she criticizes him. Accordingly, it is a key point that the impression created by her voice is that she is not older than Lelouch in age. Also, the limited range of the emotions she lets show is a critical element of C.C.s personality.

After consideration of the key elements of all the characters in this way, the full cast was selected, and from here on out it will be up to them to carry the tale of Code Geass in the English-language version! We wait with anticipation for the cast to bring the English Lelouch and Suzaku and each and every other character to vivid, spectacular life!!

http://code-geass.bandai-ent.com/news/i ... icle_id=37
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:After seeing the clips on IGN.com, the Black Ranger sounds alright as Lelouch.
Gonna have to disagree with you Neo. Those trailers showed to me that Bosch isn't up to the task.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soul Bro Ryu

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Gonna have to disagree with you Neo. Those trailers showed to me that Bosch isn't up to the task.
It's still a bit too soon for me to make any judgments yet, but by the third episode I'll have made up my mind.

The exchange with Clovis will make or break him. I hope it's as good as I'm expecting.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with you Neo. Those trailers showed to me that Bosch isn't up to the task.
Oh, I'm not completely sold on him at all. It was better than I expected, but it was only a 30 second trailer.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Kishiria

I listened to about half the podcast today. I got a bit bored with the Code Geass because I haven't seen it although I now very much want to.

Couple of things...The fact that Bandai isn't putting any anime on Blu-Ray (not that I have it) is just more evidence for me that Japanese companies have a phobia of dollars. Even when we're sitting here waving huge handfuls of Benjamins, we are spurned. It's nuts.

I love the Gundam monument, and like you guys, I got a big kick out of how happy Tomino looked in that photo.

Has the CN Tower in Toronto ever been destroyed in an anime? I don't think it has been, although it almost is in the movie "Canadian Bacon".

I've downloaded episode 4 and will listen to that next week.

Yours, the woman who doesn't listen to Gundamn!.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Destiny_Gundam

Kishiria wrote:Has the CN Tower in Toronto ever been destroyed in an anime? I don't think it has been, although it almost is in the movie "Canadian Bacon".
In the 2nd Keroro Gunsou movie you see it submerged in water when they imagine what a flooded world would be like. Aside from that, no. Animes don't visit Canada too often for whatever reason. Though in G Gundam they did go to Niagra falls. Also, Quebec gets destroyed during Break the World.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
The Fowl Sorcerous

yeah, when Quebec bought it my whole reaction was "where are the people of the future going to get kick-ass sandwiches and poutine now?"
[[lorem ipsum]]
V2Buster

Though in G Gundam they did go to Niagra falls. Also, Quebec gets destroyed during Break the World.
I asked Imagawa once why he put the Lumber Gundam in my backyard, but his answer involved a long involve story that was off topic. I've been told Imagawa is often like that.
hotlimit

Wow Soul Bro with the great ideas once again, I'd love to see some Americans work on a Gundam series just to see how people like Bruce Timm could work out a serial cartoon (a 3-6 episode OVA would be more likely). The art and character designs in anime have been real stale lately, bringing in Americans for design and Shinichiro Watanabe for direction would be great for a fresh angle on the series.
At this point, I really think people will let anything ride, so long as it bears the Gundam name. They should do more to open it up (I think 00 is doing a good job so far, but there are a couple characters who seem ripped straight out of 100 other anime that have been running the past few years).
Orgun

HI Guys, first post on the forum (even though I have looking at the site for years)!!

Listened to the podcast the other day and was really interested in the Gundam director feature.

I'm a great fan of the late Takeyuki Kanda, I thought Vifam and Dragonar were great shows and the 08th MS Team is one of my favourite Gundam shows, but you didn't mention Armor Hunter Merowlink, which I think has a great deal of relevance in the way he approached Votoms as an outside director of a very popular franchise to the way he approached Gundam and the 08th MS Team. I would have loved to have seen him do a full length Gundam show, I think it would have been brilliant and I would have loved to have seen a second series of Dragonar (but it was never going to replace Gundam as Sunrise had intended).

I would really like to see Ryousuke Takahashi do a Gundam show, Votoms, Galient, Layzner, Gasaraki, were all excellent, and I think he could bring some real world grittiness to the Gundam fanchise.

I had real doubts about Seiji Mizushima directing a Gundam show, but I have been proved well and truly wrong. I thought the first part of 00 was fantastic, great story, great characters, I liked the look of the animation, great music, it was political, dark, intelligent I could go on, I really enjoyed it and glad to see Gundam back where it should be after the Destiny debacle.

And I agree with Slow Bro as to the Gundam X movies, X really deserves a proper conclusion, I enjoyed all three of the AU series but X really stood out for me.

Keep up the good work guys, the podcasts make for some really interesting listening (it provoked a reaction from me and got me to finally post here)
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Ep. 012 - They Were Elevens (Geass & Gundam Directors)

Well, finally starting to catch up with the Gundamn! that I missed. For now, all I have to say is that Michael Bay should NEVER be allowed to direct anything remotely related to Gundam. :lol:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion