Ep. 011 - The Megacon Contagion (00: Month 5 & Megacon)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 011 - The Megacon Contagion (00: Month 5 & Megacon)

(*wipes sweat from brow*) Finally!

Without further ado, Connoisseurs, Neophytes, and Newtypes! The latest episode is finally here!

Gundamn @ MAHQ Episode 011: "The Megacon Contagion"
Standard Version - Unplugged Version

Topics Featured in this Episode:
- Funimation Panel @ Megacon 2008: Q&A Session with Adam Sheehan
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Month 5: Reviews of Episodes 17-21 (Extended Segment)
- The Main Event! Live Panel from Megacon 2008 presented by Anime Sushi!!! (Extended Segment)

These eps just keep getting bigger and bigger, but given all the work that was put into this one, I'm amazed it wasn't three hours. ^_^

Last but far from least, mad props go out to these folks, the coolest of cats that all helped make the live show possible (in alphabetical order):

- Andrew Fitta ("DJ Megaplay"): Our contact at Anime Sushi that took a chance on us and gave us panel time at one of the largest conventions in Orlando when it was our first time podcasting "live", period. the opportunity and experience was invaluable.

- Stella O'Leary: Honestly, I don't know how we could have done this without an engineer, and I'm so grateful we crossed paths at the right time, otherwise what was an awkward start could have been a full blown disaster. You've taught me so much and I hope we can do this again when the next live joint rolls around.

- Devon Maxwell ("Boiwondr") - Dude, you were a fuuuusionnnn of Peter Parker and Montel Williams that day! For those who don't know, Neo, the Boiwondr and I are a part of the first podcast Shinjuku Station ever produced, "Flip the Script!" The stand-up cat that he is, Devon came through for us again by not only filling in as a wireless mic handler but also taking many pics of the event at the same time. He, and another FTS regular, Shoji Ramuro, have a video game podcast in development, and when it drops, you'll definitely hear about it on Gundamn!

- Dale & Tanya Rausch: Much props go to one of the founding fathers of MAHQ.net and his wife, who I got to meet at the same time I met Chris in person. Their help during the live show really came through when I realized far too late that we needed wireless mic handlers to cover the larger than expected audience our live show amassed. You have no idea how dope you two are. :)

- Quang & Debbie of "Florida Oriental Trading": You'll find their store at the corner of "Colonial Dr." (S.R. 50) and "Mills Dr." (S.R. 17-92) in Orlando, FL near downtown. Neo & I have been lucky enough to live in a town with several Anime merchandising stores, but FOT was the pioneering place for our (and many others) otaku needs! The couple that runs the store are beyond awesome and they came through for us by providing the top tier prizes for our panel (four $10 gift certificates), as well as equipment for future live performances. If your in the Orlando area, stop by FOT or if you plan on attending "JACON '08" or "Anime Festival Orlando 9", stop by their booth and tell them that "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" sent ya!

- And everyone else!:
* The Whole Anime Sushi Gang!
* Our Sponsors: NutsForAnimeFigures.com, Namco Bandai, Shonen Jump, Florida Oriental Trading
* All of the attendees of the panel, as well as the participants - Armando, Leif, Noelle, Robert, Kristina, Rebecca, Juan, Andrew M., Michael, Daniel Petersen, Rau, Hodimus "The Hod" Prime, Robert a.k.a "MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter"
* My girlfriend, Jenn, for putting up with me during that crazy weekend.
* Our friends and family for coming out to support us: Edwin Ashley, Dr. Enclyclopedia Black & Lady J (hosts of the new Shinjuku Station joint, "The Weekly Cocktail"!), Shoji Ramuro, Rebecca Long, Trell & her son, and anyone I forgot
* And even the lady clerk at Kinko's that was doing her job, but was cool nonetheless!

Infinite thanks go to you guys as well as the listeners and now that the edge is off on doing this for the first time, I cannot wait to do this again at "Yasumicon" (August 1-3, 2008) later on this year! BTW, next episode is our long-awaited review of Code Geass Season 1 in preparation of the new season as well as its premiere on Adult Swim at the end of April! Support the Rebellion and Stay Tuned!!!

Ganbatte, gang!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep The Websites:
[email protected]
www.MAHQ.net
http://GundamnMAHQ.Blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

Main RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

Unplugged Episodes Only RSS Feed:
Coming Soon!!! (for you, V2Buster)

Garma Strikes! - Featuring "Gundamn! @ MAHQ - The Soundtrack":
http://www.MySpace.com/GarmaStrikes

Other Shinjuku Station Podcasts
Flip the Script!: http://www.myspace.com/ftsshinjuku
New Episodes in April!!!!

The Weekly Cocktail: http://www.myspace.com/ladyjthegooddoctor
Premiere Episode is Up! New Slice of Life Podcast by Lady J & FTS's own Dr. Enclyclopedia Black!
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Kavik Ryx

If it weren't for all of the stitches on my mouth from surgery, I would have been laughing my ass off when Chris was impersonating Ali.
chainsandguns

Kavik Ryx wrote:If it weren't for all of the stitches on my mouth from surgery, I would have been laughing my ass off when Chris was impersonating Ali.
Best Ali Impersonating ever, lol
PSN: Ed_The_Crimson
Twitter: @EdTheCrimson
Dropping The X
Kavik Ryx

Just heard to the thing on peoples' opinions on 1-17, it's true. Many people found the first half to be slow and/or mediocre, but have been at the edge of their seats since the introduction of the Trinities.
chainsandguns

Kavik Ryx wrote:Just heard to the thing on peoples' opinions on 1-17, it's true. Many people found the first half to be slow and/or mediocre, but have been at the edge of their seats since the introduction of the Trinities.
One of my friends has moved away from gundam because of how slow 00 was at first, and now he's a macross junkie. He was one of the few gundam junkies in orlando left like me and others who know who they are.

Also, to be more on topic about the show, I think I know Andrew M.(one of the ppl who asked questions) Heh, never thought I'd actually hear someone I know personally on gundamn.

Anyway, my first time listening through this ep, and I'd have to say it was a damn good episode, and will listen to it again while starting on my 1/100 Virtue Gundam Model Kit
PSN: Ed_The_Crimson
Twitter: @EdTheCrimson
Dropping The X
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kavik Ryx wrote:Just heard to the thing on peoples' opinions on 1-17, it's true. Many people found the first half to be slow and/or mediocre, but have been at the edge of their seats since the introduction of the Trinities.
I've heard that from a lot of people, didn't seem that slow compared to some other shows. Thought the development of the story was broken up pretty nicely.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Arbiter GUNDAM

00 was slow in the beginning? What show were those guys watching? I swear, just cause Darth Kira isn't there with Gundam Goldjoints... :roll:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:00 was slow in the beginning? What show were those guys watching? I swear, just cause Darth Kira isn't there with Gundam Goldjoints... :roll:
Beats me. If you compare the first 13 episodes of 00 to that of SEED, it's pretty clear that SEED has a mind numbingly slow pace. But you can't satisfy everyone with everything.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Interesting show all around this time, technical difficulties aside of course. (Infections? Blame Neo Japan and their DG cells.)
Near the end of the live show when you had to hurry up and get to the last few questions before another what you called a fail show started (1:56 of the pod cast), what was that show? It sounded almost like Dragonar. If that was referring to the anime Metal Armor Dragonar, then I would have words with you on that one as I watched it and found it very enjoyable. If not, then I'm sorry for jumping on you.

Also if I did live in Florida, I would come to those live shows of yours, but living in Detroit, MI kind of makes that difficult.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:Near the end of the live show when you had to hurry up and get to the last few questions before another what you called a fail show started (1:56 of the pod cast), what was that show? It sounded almost like Dragonar. If that was referring to the anime Metal Armor Dragonar, then I would have words with you on that one as I watched it and found it very enjoyable. If not, then I'm sorry for jumping on you.
It certainly wasn't Dragonar, which is good stuff. I said Dragonaut: The Resonance, which does suck.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
VentZX

Chris wrote:It certainly wasn't Dragonar, which is good stuff. I said Dragonaut: The Resonance, which does suck.
I agree with that. Lord Dragonaut sucks.

Gundamn however is awesome. I would have loved to be at that convention, but I'm a few states north and traveling expenses suck. I couldn't help but laugh at the "Did Amuro and Char die?" fake out. I think I might have done the same thing. The 00 discussion was fun as usual. Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about the last 4 episodes.
Areku

I also would have loved to attend, but I live even further north. :cry:

Another great show. Seemed like there was more laughter than usual, made it more enjoyable overall. Lots of interesting ground covered, and an overall good listen. Going to listen to it again in a few days, might have some useful feedback then. Looking forward to ep 12, keep it up guys.

P.S. And you guys manage the time well, don't worry about any given episode being too long, you've yet to drag something out too long. This isn't a movie, and it's not live, you don't have to worry about losing anyone because an episode is too long.
Areus

It took a long time to get out but this was a solid episode. This whole time I thought I was gonna get to hear the first halve not knowing it was lost due to tech problems. Anyways the 00 reviews and the funimation coverage made up for the loss of content in many ways. "R.I.P Lost content and a favorite 00 char of mine..." Anyways loved the EP I learned a lot form the funimation bit, wish I would have gone to that now.

I'm gonna give this EP a five beam swords out of five. Cus its still long and strong with the loss of live content.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
Vent Noir

I was one of those people that found the early episodes hard going (in fact, I almost completely gave up on the show a couple of times and only stuck with it due to strong encouragement from my friends and people on the boards). In my case, it wasn't due to the pace so much as the fact that I didn't sympathise with any of the characters.

Having seen up to 21 now, I can say I'm glad I stuck with the show. I'm still not a fan of some of the main characters (I like Setsuna and Lockon, but the other two can go die in a ditch somewhere for all I care (Actually, I want Soma to kill Allelujah, but knowing what the record is for characters I want to win - across many different series and media - is, I'm not laying money on it any time soon)).

I still can't say 00 is one of my favourite Gundam series, but at least I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it any more.
Areus

Vent Noir wrote:I was one of those people that found the early episodes hard going (in fact, I almost completely gave up on the show a couple of times and only stuck with it due to strong encouragement from my friends and people on the boards). In my case, it wasn't due to the pace so much as the fact that I didn't sympathise with any of the characters.

Having seen up to 21 now, I can say I'm glad I stuck with the show. I'm still not a fan of some of the main characters (I like Setsuna and Lockon, but the other two can go die in a ditch somewhere for all I care (Actually, I want Soma to kill Allelujah, but knowing what the record is for characters I want to win - across many different series and media - is, I'm not laying money on it any time soon)).

I still can't say 00 is one of my favourite Gundam series, but at least I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it any more.

What!!! 00 Is the next greatest thing to sliced bread my man!!! I feel the way you feel with 00 about the whole cosmic era. But man 00 brings so much to the table. All I can say is the next 3 eps will have you on the edge of your seat. I've been on the tip of my chair from ep 01 but man 22-24 I've been falling outta my chair so hard watching this story unfold. Idk if I have just been blinded with love for this show like a Haruhi fan is for haruhi and I don't wanna hear anything bad about the show but man theres just so little in this show that I don't like.

The show brought me to tears in these final eps of season 1 so far no gundam show has done that. Its to early to say its my fav gundam cus they might throw some pennys down on the track but man right now it feels so good to watch a new good gundam.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
Arbiter GUNDAM

And Gundamn episode 11 claims the crown of longest episode from episode 8, at two hours and fifteen minutes!!! :shock: It's all good though, we love you guys ranting, so don't worry!

I'd like to thank Chris, Neo and Soul Bro for the shout out and for the cool gift certificate. I'm sure my brother will be thrilled with the cool FF7 Cloud model I bought him.

Onto the meat and potatoes, I'd loved your guys reviews of the last few episodes of Gundam 00. Things are really heating up and ep. 25 is gonna be something epic on the level of Zeta and CCA I think. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season.

Lastly, I'd have to say that my favorite part of the live panel was when Soul Bro asked who was better, Char or Zechs? Let me put it like this:

CHAR!!!!

Great freakin' job guys and good luck at Yasumicon in August!!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:And Gundamn episode 11 claims the crown of longest episode from episode 8, at two hours and fifteen minutes!!! :shock: It's all good though, we love you guys ranting, so don't worry!

I'd like to thank Chris, Neo and Soul Bro for the shout out and for the cool gift certificate. I'm sure my brother will be thrilled with the cool FF7 Cloud model I bought him.

Onto the meat and potatoes, I'd loved your guys reviews of the last few episodes of Gundam 00. Things are really heating up and ep. 25 is gonna be something epic on the level of Zeta and CCA I think. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season.

Lastly, I'd have to say that my favorite part of the live panel was when Soul Bro asked who was better, Char or Zechs? Let me put it like this:

CHAR!!!!

Great freakin' job guys and good luck at Yasumicon in August!!

Thanks a lot.

I like to call episode 11 the catchup epsiode. Between MegaCon and staying current with 00, we had to make a true showkiller.

It was great speaking with you, glad you found something at FOT.

Thanks for listening.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
speedstriker

Hi guys, I wonder if you can tell me what version of the "Mizu no Hoshi he Ai wo Komete"(From the Aqueous Star with Love) you were using? It sounds really good and I wonder if you can give me a link to the download? Thanks!

I didn't even finish the episode while I wrote this, but I expect it to be great like always!
Wingnut

speedstriker wrote:Hi guys, I wonder if you can tell me what version of the "Mizu no Hoshi he Ai wo Komete"(From the Aqueous Star with Love) you were using? It sounds really good and I wonder if you can give me a link to the download? Thanks!

I didn't even finish the episode while I wrote this, but I expect it to be great like always!
They can tell you what version they used, but not a download link. That would violate general rules.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

Since you're doing Code Geass next episode... you might have already noticed this, but it's been noted elsewhere that the show is an inversion of the typical Gundam dynamic - you have the kid with the super prototype mecha on the program bad guys' side, and the Char on the good guys' side, although in this case the role's split between Zero (the masked man with the hidden agenda) and Kallen (the ace in the red mecha).

Just something I'm hoping gets brought up in the show.