Ep. 010 - The Battle Royale! (SRW Original, ST v. MSG v. SW)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Bah, I always sound horrible on recording. Apparently my mic's not that great either, though it sounded like I was a guest phoning in like you hear on normal radio. I thought that was pretty cool.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Props for not making it sound too bad guys. The only thing I would disagree with you on in your segment is how some names are pronounced (Date is two syllables Da-te and Branstein (Like Brawn without the w and Stein like as in a beer stein.) were among the names that I pronounce differently. Even Leona agrees with me on the R-Gun Rivale.), but otherwise I agree with your assessment of both the show and the games.

On the battle royale part: I think it was a fair, if brutally blunt at times, assessment of the shows.
I never got past the first season of Enterprise and although I enjoyed Voyager for the most part, I did see some of the flaws you mentioned, however I never really saw Rick Berman as the Devil figure you have him painted as for some reason. I guess my willing suspension of disbelief is higher than yours as TNG was a staple show in my youth. I can't really make any fair comparison to the differences in the 24th century Star Trek vs. 00 as I have not seen the latter, but I'll take your word for it.

I agree on most parts concerning the prequels of Star Wars, but some things were all right and other things, like exactly how Anikin turned to Vader, would have been made eventually due to fan pressure of wanting to see them. I kinda liked the Pod race even if it didn't really have anything to do with the rest of the movie. It was just one of those things that enhanced the universe in a positive way as opposed to a negative way (Jar-Jar, I'm looking at you).
I would indeed say that George got too involved there for the movies own good. One of you said that even though you didn't really care about Star Wars much, that you enjoyed Empire Strikes Back, and no surprise that was one that Lucas did not direct. A more hands off approach in this case equals a better movie. Let him write the story, but let others handle telling it to us.

As for those two vs. Gundam in Japan there is no comparison as Gundam is more popular than both of them combined. The Federation and Zeon bars plus the other events taking place elsewhere are proof enough of that.
And over here the reverse is true as Gundam sadly will never be as popular as Star Wars or Star Trek. There may be anime cons where you see Gundam cosplayers, but there are also many other anime characters present as well. Then there are entire cons focused on just Star Trek or Star Wars where you have that total number of people dressing up being more than all the various anime cosplayers that do the same.

Outside of the obvious (Beam/lightsabers, Newtypes/Jedi) I don't really see much, if any influence by Gundam on Star Wars/Trek and vice versa. I know some of the Trek designers are anime fans (Dirty Pair in particular.), but I don't recall anyone mentioning any mecha anime as an influence in any designs of theirs.

That's about all I can come up with right now, but I do have one question: Who is the guy I often hear in the background laughing his ass off sometimes when someone says something particularly funny? He sounds like he's on the other side of the room.
Also I liked the inclusion of Kajet's "Jumping onto White Base" bit during a commercial back in episode 9 I think it was, plus using those British Gundam model commercials was all too appropriate for this podcast. Little did they know the infamy such a simple mistake would bring upon them years later... :lol:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking anyone, but I really wish people would stop being so damn anal about the pronunciation of character or series names. Whether something is right or wrong, people are going to say the same names a bunch of different ways. Seriously people, stop nitpicking about this so much and making a big deal out of it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kavik Ryx

I guess I should finally respond. First I guess I should note that Star Trek still remains at the top of my favorite TV, especially The Next Generation. In retrospect, in that series, the Federation spent more time dealing with Federation affairs than intervention, which was quite common in TOS. While characters are often devoid of many negative emotions, they still manage to be human. In actuality, none of the characters were remotely perfect. Picard may have been respectable and level headed, but he was also very cold and recluse. In my experience, what Gundam has over it would be its ability to show humanity's dark side, which is what makes it so powerful.
Areus

Don't Know if this was said...I did not read all the feed back. I noticed that there was no talk about the merchandise for the "Big Three" shows. Theres a ton of toys,models and misc craps for all three shows but I like to think that each show specializes in different types of merch. Gundam fans are all about model kits whilst Wars fans are all about action figures and cards. Trekkers tend to be all about everything. Granted they all do everything but I just notice that each show has a different type of big seller. Also they all have games... And they all have a few good ones and a lot of bad ones. I hate to say that but its true. Anyways I just want to acknowledge they way they merchandise for the different shows help shape the way I see there fans.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Something I just thought of as I was listening to the Battle Royale section again was that the Titans in Zeta always reminded me of the Galactic Empire, with Jamitov as their Emperor Palpatine, Bask as Darth Vader, I could go on. Zeon always seemed much more like the Nazis than anything else.

Oh and they also had their own Death Star too. 8)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
thanatos

When you guys mentioned how Star Trek has been held back by sticking to one continuity while Gundam can pretty much create new timelines at will, that really made me think. It seems like quite the paradox that taking power away from the creators and giving it to the studio could actually be a good thing. I don't even want to think about what Gundam would be like if Tomino had the same creative domination that George Lucas has over Star Wars.

I wonder if any Gundam project has been axed in the planning stages by the studio for being a godawful load of failure.
Areus

thanatos wrote:When you guys mentioned how Star Trek has been held back by sticking to one continuity while Gundam can pretty much create new timelines at will, that really made me think. It seems like quite the paradox that taking power away from the creators and giving it to the studio could actually be a good thing. I don't even want to think about what Gundam would be like if Tomino had the same creative domination that George Lucas has over Star Wars.

I wonder if any Gundam project has been axed in the planning stages by the studio for being a godawful load of failure.

If Star Trek made another timeline it could be good. Keep all the iconic star trek themes such as star fleet and there ship styles and mission. Just have the technology more realistic and different races and make star fleet less goody goody and more grunty grunty military style. Also every race should not be almost 100% humanoid. mabey get some mantis-men with extra arms and tails. Theres no reason why all intelligent life is a modifyed human. Keep the borg they can stay too. Ohh and add some mecha.

弾幕 Baby!
Kavik Ryx

At least with Star Trek, you can just take the show 50 or 100 years into the future to get that AU feel. If anything, what Trek needs is a director and team who is willing to go back to Trek's classic style of TOS and TNG; a show about explorers having to overcome moral dilemmas. As much as a fully charged phaser bank is the best diplomat, TNG got it right by involving very little battle.
ShadowCell

Wow, mecha in Star Trek. Speaking of godawful loads of failure...
Kavik Ryx

Well Star Trek will always be better when a simple chronicle of explorers.

Star Wars was great as an epic space opera, but fails as a Ryouske Takahashi clone.

Oddly enough, Gundam is the only one which benefits from innovation. I don't know why though.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Yeah, I don't think mecha and Star Trek would work well together.

And who's Ryouske Takahashi?

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

Kavik Ryx wrote:Star Wars was great as an epic space opera, but fails as a Ryouske Takahashi clone.
Huh? I can't think of any Ryosuke Takahashi series from before 1977. Are you sure you don't mean Leiji Matsumoto?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kavik Ryx

Chris wrote:
Kavik Ryx wrote:Star Wars was great as an epic space opera, but fails as a Ryouske Takahashi clone.
Huh? I can't think of any Ryosuke Takahashi series from before 1977. Are you sure you don't mean Leiji Matsumoto?
I was referring to the prequel trilogy, which tied, and failed at government corruption and conspiracy, which have always struck me as Takashashi's specialty.
thanatos

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote: And who's Ryouske Takahashi?
He's given us such gems as VOTOMS and Gasaraki.
He also did Blue Gender, though I havn't seen it since I can't stomach gore to well.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Kavik Ryx wrote: I was referring to the prequel trilogy, which tried, and failed at government corruption and conspiracy, which have always struck me as Takashashi's specialty.
Well, I'm not to sure about that, but, holy crap, let's not start a Star Wars debate right now.

My essay on this episode is coming soon, be ready for it. :wink:

--Freyja Wion
Areus

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Yeah, I don't think mecha and Star Trek would work well together.

And who's Ryouske Takahashi?
Maybe not but i'm envisioning a sweet show lol its a good thing im not a fanfic chump. I could see myself making mistakes... Ohh well your right mecha in star trek what was I thinking.

弾幕 Baby!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Now Star Wars has Mecha, but even a Zaku I could beat an AT-AT. Well, if it was rigged with a beam rifle I guess. :P

--Freyja Wion
Recon 5

ShadowCell wrote:Wow, mecha in Star Trek. Speaking of godawful loads of failure...
Data and twin would like to have a word with you, as would mudd's women... they're 'mecha' by one definition.

As for non- humanoid aliens- budget is a huge consideration. You're more likely to see the mantis- man hordes in the next Star Trek movie than in a new TV series. I would also not like to have to watch an entire cheaply CGI'ed alien civilization for more than a few minutes, let alone an episode or several.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Hyakushiki

There was also the Star Trek manga that had Kirk facing off against teenage mercenaries with mecha, though that's probably not official.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
NastyNate

Just listened to podcast. One major difference I say between gundam and the other two scifi shows is that gundam is a cartoon and the others are actual people. I'd have to say that might be a big role on why sw and st made it so far in america, because the average american probably doesn't watch cartoons as much when their adults but they don't mind watching real people act own the same basic idea.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ