Ep. 009 - Heavy Metal Queens (00: Mo. 4, Music & Women)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Chris wrote:
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I can just picture Neo and Chris reading this and wondering what hath Soul Bro wrought. :lol:
Indeed. Maybe we could have the entire Crossroad Crew parading around MegaCon.
Indeed! At least we know we won't be hungry. I'll take a large cheese, Crossroad Crew.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

Yes... we should require the Crossroad Crew to bring pizzas to the panel. Someone could get the Bernie Wiseman special cheeseburger pizza. :twisted:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

You can have the Bernie burger, I take a Bright'n'Tasty. I don't like my burgers charred.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Strike Zero

Somebody needs to make a "Saji Crossroad Fanclub thread" somewhere. I don't care who. Somebody just has to.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Chris
Administrator

Strike Zero wrote:Somebody needs to make a "Saji Crossroad Fanclub thread" somewhere. I don't care who. Somebody just has to.
So it is written, so shall it be done.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Chris wrote:Yes... we should require the Crossroad Crew to bring pizzas to the panel. Someone could get the Bernie Wiseman special cheeseburger pizza. :twisted:
hawk of endymion wrote:You can have the Bernie burger, I take a Bright'n'Tasty. I don't like my burgers charred.
That is WRONG on so many levels. Oh, brainstorm! :D You guys should use these lines at the con. Peeps'll be Bright-slappin' each other in the aisles man!!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Teki

Man i think I now wanna come just to dress like Saji and hang there. Found out friend is going to disney that weekend so may go up with her and borrow car for convention hell she may come.

Also hysterical when you guys mentioned the whole part about setsuna telling Louise off by commenting how her mom wasn't dead then bam two or so episodes later. I remember when it first happend and thinking that but boy mad funny hearing it especially when knows what happend.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Chris wrote:
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I can just picture Neo and Chris reading this and wondering what hath Soul Bro wrought. :lol:
Indeed. Maybe we could have the entire Crossroad Crew parading around MegaCon.
I'd be there in a minute, with pizza, it's just that Orlando is slightly far from Canada.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Flame-X

Awww... no one mentioned about Gackt's Gundam cover album "0079-0088". :(
Soul Bro Ryu

Chris wrote:Yes... we should require the Crossroad Crew to bring pizzas to the panel. Someone could get the Bernie Wiseman special cheeseburger pizza. :twisted:
hawk of endymion wrote:You can have the Bernie burger, I take a Bright'n'Tasty. I don't like my burgers charred.
D!cks. The lot of you. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion

Flame-X wrote:Awww... no one mentioned about Gackt's Gundam cover album "0079-0088". :(
Drawing a blank right now, but I think we commented on that album in an episode. Is it all the music from MSG and Zeta?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Chris
Administrator

We mentioned it a few episodes back in one of your news segments. It's got some covers of old Gundam songs, as well as some of Gackt's songs.
Kavik Ryx

When it comes to the soundtracks themselves, I would have to agree on loving the one for Victory, Turn A, and Zeta, though, as well as it's quirky remix in ZZ. Wing's soundtrack has always been a favorite of mine and I even have a few tracks of it. I'm surprised no one brought up the original Gundam soundtrack, which is another one I love. It set the atmosphere real well and sounds nice even after thirty years.
Arbiter GUNDAM

BTW where did you guys get the instrumental version of Ash Like Snow?

Also I think that the MS force that OZ deployed in GWing episode 10 wasn't as big in 00 15 and the battle definitely didn't last 15 hours. Hmmm, does that make the Meisters better than the GBoys I wonder?

--Freyja Wion
The Fowl Sorcerous

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:BTW where did you guys get the instrumental version of Ash Like Snow?

Also I think that the MS force that OZ deployed in GWing episode 10 wasn't as big in 00 15 and the battle definitely didn't last 15 hours. Hmmm, does that make the Meisters better than the GBoys I wonder?
Well seeing as how they don't yell at eachother about peace or what it means to be a warrior or to be strong every three minutes I'm going to give the Meisters one point, however the Meisters lack the pure bullet hailstorm that was the Heavyarms or the Shenlong and Altron which flamethrowers that worked in space somehow so that's a point to the Gboys.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Arbiter GUNDAM

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:however the Meisters lack the pure bullet hailstorm that was the Heavyarms
Um, Virtue's Jumbo Mega Gulp BFG anyone?

--Freyja Wion
Vent Noir

A couple of other shows...

A couple of other mecha shows with female leads that nobody's mentioned yet...

I thought somebody would have brought up Southern Cross by now... yeah, it's not exactly a great show, but it's fairly well known (at least as the middle chapter of Robotech).

Also, does Sky Girls count as a mecha show?

I agree I'd love to see a Gundam show with a female lead. I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Tomino wanted the lead for Turn A Gundam to be a female, but the idea got vetoed by Sunrise. In the meantime, there is the Ecole du Ciel manga.

Oh, and talking of manga/comics, Dark Horse put out (an American-made) one called Gear School, set at a military/piloting academy. Felt like the early part of Gunbuster, and wasn't too bad.

Also... Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha isn't a mecha series, but there seem to be quite a few mecha show references... Subaru in StrikerS is the most blatant, with th Gaogaigar references in her transformation sequences and attacks (she has the fan nickname "Gaogaigar-tan".)

EDIT: I should also mention Stellvia, which I guess is a "show with a mecha in it", rather than a "mecha show". And I'm kicking myself for forgetting about Iczer-One, which probably also counts as "show (well, OVA) with a mecha in it", especially since I consider it one of my favourite anime of all time.

And another not-quite-a-mecha-show (but still damn good!) with a predominantly female cast is Simoun. (Actually, the Simouns aren't giant robots, but if you define "mecha" as "anything mechanical", I guess it does count as a mecha show!)

EDIT 2: I also forgot Z-Mind. Oh, and an honorable mention to Nadesico for female suppourting characters.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: A couple of other shows...

Vent Noir wrote:Also... Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha isn't a mecha series, but there seem to be quite a few mecha show references... Subaru in StrikerS is the most blatant, with th Gaogaigar references in her transformation sequences and attacks (she has the fan nickname "Gaogaigar-tan".)
Nanoha is far more mecha than you think. The 'magic' is actually highly advanced technology that functions with AIs and programs (defines it as sci-fi, not exactly mecha though). Then there's the fact they have interdimention space battleships, definitely mecha related. Then there's the fact they fight giant robots at the end of season 1. Season 2 doesn't have much except the aforementioned battleships. StrikerS though have them fighting drone robots on a daily basis, the 'final boss' was a huge doomsday battleship thing, and Subaru, Ginga and the Numbers are all combat cyborgs. Definitely mecha.

The creators are huge Super Robot Wars fans afterall.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Re: A couple of other shows...

Vent Noir wrote:I thought somebody would have brought up Southern Cross by now... yeah, it's not exactly a great show, but it's fairly well known (at least as the middle chapter of Robotech).
Dammit... I can't believe I forgot that one. When I originally thought up this topic, that was one of the ones I wanted to highlight, but by the time we got around to talking about stuff in the show, I completely forgot.
Vent Noir

Another in the "Show with a mecha in it" category: The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo. I really enjoyed that one.

EDIT: Oh, and another honorable mention to the Super Robot Wars series... Excellen particularly stands out for me. And in fact, it's arguable that Kusuha is the main character of the Alpha series, since she has her own route in all three games.