Ep. 008 - The Showkiller!: SEED, Megazone 23 & Tomino II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
bertman4

Another great episode. Thanks guys!

I liked what you guys covered on the Tomino stuff. I wanted to point out that Tomino was known for his fan service shots. I believe he used to work on Combattler V (or was it Voltes?) and his fan service began there. In the original Gundam series, there were 3 fan service shots of Frau, Mirai, and Sayla during the series. Oh yeah, there was also the Char fan service shower scene. Then with Ideon, he just went over the top. I remember reading in one of the Japanese anime magazines (I think it was Animage) that with Ideon, they (fans) knew that Tomino was "idai na ecchi" or a "great H"! That was, of course, in reference to the Ideon: Be Invoked movie.

Keep up the good work!

Bertman
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Darth Nader wrote:Say Soul Bro, Do you think you'd ever do a 'Gundamn! Mix tape'? I really like the mixes you do for the show. They're really well done. Just an idea :wink:
Soul Bro puts a lot of the remixes he uses and makes on a myspace page called Garma Strikes. If you do a search or use the link from Gundamn! myspace page, you should find it with no problem.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Darth Nader

hawk of endymion wrote:
Darth Nader wrote:Say Soul Bro, Do you think you'd ever do a 'Gundamn! Mix tape'? I really like the mixes you do for the show. They're really well done. Just an idea :wink:
Soul Bro puts a lot of the remixes he uses and makes on a myspace page called Garma Strikes. If you do a search or use the link from Gundamn! myspace page, you should find it with no problem.
Ah, I can't believe I missed that! Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I really appreciate it!
"Camille Bidan, heading out."

Darth Nader - Steam Community Page
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Sai was my favorite SEED character, also, Soul Bro!

But he got completely boned story-wise. x,<

I agreed very much with most of what you guys though about SEED. Take care, and keep up the good work.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Zaku-San

Chris wrote:
Zaku-San wrote:And I’m going to have to look into Megazone 23 and Super Tomino Wars because they do sound like good mecha animes.
Please be aware that there is no anime called "Super Tomino Wars." That was simply the name for the segment discussing Tomino anime.
Woops my bad. Sorry about that, I thought it was like a 80's mecha or something. I kinda caught myself on that and I'll try to pay more attention to things I write
thanatos

Another great episode guys. Let me say right off the bat that I have no problem with 2 hours episodes. It was great! I started it on my mp3 player at work and it made my shift fly by! Just remember to stay on topic and you guys can made them as long as you want and I won't mind.

I agree that Brain Powerd had far to much going on, Overman King Gainer suffered from the same problem. Both of these shows had really interesting worlds to explore but never finished explaining them. The Antibodies/Grand Chars and Overmen were never explained in any real manner. This was especially bad for Overman King Gainer. I remember being really confused when they uncovered that "early overman" called Brunhilde without saying what the overmen where.

Thanks for the info on Megazone 23. I just watched that alien attack you guys mentioned. Dear god. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

As for Seed Destiny, I think that series died with Heine. Why on earth would they bring in a character, make him really enjoyable, then kill him immediately? They could have let him live for a few more episodes to let us, and Shinn, get to know him more and make his death more meaningful.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I guess I should've posted this sooner but now that we have episode 9 I guess I'm in the same boat as Soul Bro and being late with my post.

Another great episode guys, glad to hear you're awesome factor has allowed you to be live in Orlando. I think I might come up and see it, it's only about a 45 minute drive from where I live.

Ok, I agree with most of the stuff you said about the SEED shows, mostly about Destiny since, yes it is a freakin' trainwreck. May the writer burn for screwing up Cagalli. But enough about that. The only thing I can't comment on is Stargazer because I haven't seen it.

Megazone 23, very interesting. Sounds like the Wakowski Bros. weren't so much inspired by it as they completely ripped it off. If I was the owner of the rights of Megazone, I'd sue.

Unfortunately I can't comment on Super Tomino Wars II because I've never seen any of those shows and I don't think I will. Even if they are creations of the Bald Wizard. 8)

Keep up the good work guys, I'm listening to Episode 9 right now.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kavik Ryx

After this episode, I actually went out and got dvds one and three of Megazone 23. The first movie was just awesome. Now I just gotta find number 2.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kavik Ryx wrote:After this episode, I actually went out and got dvds one and three of Megazone 23. The first movie was just awesome. Now I just gotta find number 2.
Great, glad you enjoyed it. Let's know what you think about the rest. Exposing to new stuff is part of the mission of Gundamn.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
otakud00d

Darth Nader wrote: That title does sound like it would make a good anime...but probably an even better game. A 30-foot tall Tomino with a beam saber and mega beam launcher, indiscriminately decapitating children and wreaking various types of havoc, done to a Yoko Kanno soundtrack.
Don't forget! The Super Tomino Bot also has a screaming soundwave attack, ala his appearance on Overman King Gainer DVDs.

Gonna listen to the clip in a second. I've seen A Contact and Be Invoked, only up to like, episode 10 or so for the TV series. Ideon's a classic. I really liked it, though the characters were definitely grating for the most part.

Except Gije.
Kavik Ryx

After getting kicked out of my room for my brother's visit, I finally got a chance to sit down and finish Megazone. On Chris's scale, I guess I'd give I a 4.5, mainly due to such likable characters and morose yet fair view on humanity. II would get a 3 for the same reason Prince of Persia Warrior Within was nowhere near as good as Sands of Time. Basically, they put their "dick in a pudding." As for III, I'm going to be fair and say 4, namely because I found it surprisingly engaging and lively for a cyberpunk, a genre which never really interested me before. The only real issues with it were the inconsistent animation and the fact that the characters felt a little artificial compared with the original. It's great to know; however, that it's not just me who thought that Wan Dai was Shogo Yahagi.