SolidSpidr mecha design, Working on the wrong things...

The place to share your artwork.
SolidSpidr

SolidSpidr mecha design, Working on the wrong things...

Well I've been wanting to do this for a while but I've just been really lazy, so here are my mecha designs, almost all of which will be gundam related.

Well for my first batch I will start way back, with these guys

RS-109 GR Enforcer
Designed to counter the Shaman, the GR-E carries an anti-armor beam rifle and duel beam sabers. It can be equipped with a heavy beam launcher for anti-warship operations.
Authors notes: GM ripoff, away!

S-06 Shaman
A Zaku at its core the Shaman is a multi-purpose mobile suit with interchangeable parts. Built to stand the strong pull of Jupiter, it features an advanced jet pack and a generator with a high output.
Authors notes: It's a Zaku with horns!

S-11 Dom Destroyer
The Dom Destroyer was created as a support unit. It is equipped with a heavy clay bazooka and a beam saber. It is often used by the Black Sun.
Authors notes: It's a Dom, that destroys.

TS-07 Interseptor
A powerful mobile suit built to intercept enemy ships and armor. It boasts a much higher than the Shaman. It has the ability to transform into a aircraft like form for quick strike attacks.
Authors notes: It intercepts things, get it?

I doodled these shortly after I got Gundam vs Zeta Gundam for the PS2. these were all supposed to be Jupiter mechs for a crazy side story of what happens after Shirocco leaves Jupiter and a colony rebellion ensues against the Jupiterious Empire. Never really did get to design the Gundam in this set though.

EDIT: posted what the little blurbs on the drawings said and added a quick note by me.
Last edited by SolidSpidr on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
codename:v

Honestly, you works aren't up to par and still of a kindergarden's level. But consider this is purely your hand drawings, I'll say "Way to go." Why? Because you dare to show your works here even though it's not good and that shows you got more guts than those half-past 6 frankeners are mocking mecha arts themselves.
Seriously, if you want to improve in your art, especially your mecha arts, you should consider take up some art lessons starting with basic trainings like sketching and coloring. Try to find out if there are any art classes in your home area and make sure they cover these courses. Or, just go to any bookstore, look up on DIY anime books which cover on mecha art drawings which can be helpful for your sake, if you could.
To be good, you must put in effort at whatever you do, only then you can stand among the best. Keep it up!
Folken Fanel

You know v, you don't have to be a damn nazi everytime you post. I happen to think that SolidSpidr's art is pretty good for amatuer doodles. They won't be in an art exhibit anytime soon, but they're not too shabby for a Gundam fan. They're interesting concepts, especially the Intersepter. I'd like to see more of your work, because its always nice to see someone who draws on notebook paper like me. :D
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

The fact that you posted these scans from your notebook paper sketches made me chuckle. It's because I draw EXCLUSIVELY on notebook paper, but I just remove the lines in photoshop before I post my work. Kindred spirits, hahaha.

To be honest, the accuracy of the forms and appearance of the suits you've drawn here really surprised the hell out of me. How does a person make something look both accurate and crude at the same time? I've got to have respect for something so unusual. It's interesting.

I would really like you see what you can accomplish in the future, so I'll try to help you out with a few pointers. You may just want to start by drawing larger. I know you're trying to fit an entire MS frame onto a single sheet for the purposes of these scans, but drawing large will help you practice getting the forms down right. It gives you much more space to study the fine details in a mech. I may be wrong, but are you drawing with a mechanical pencil? Those are pretty much mandatory if you're trying to create the fine lines you need for a mech. You may also want to just limit your text to typing. If you want text on your pictures, maybe add it in with an art program after you make your scans. My own handwriting is terrible.

This may also sound very strange to you, but practice drawing a straight line. You'd be surprised to know how many people cannot do this very well. I've nearly got this down to an artform, myself, and I'm rather proud of it. Getting this technique down will steady your hand, and you'll be able to draw with fewer strokes and less erasing. It's a pretty awesome skill to have. I think you'll enjoy being able to do that also.

But otherwise, I wish you great inspiration. Keep working hard and make us proud.

How did you come up with the model numbers on those, by the way?

Edit: Oh, and you really don't have to take any art classes. I've taken some really basic art classes in junior high and high school, but they weren't really teaching me things that seemed useful for mecha design. I never used anything I learned in back in those days. The use of perspectives might be the only useful lesson, but the projects for that really sucked. All I can say is be persistent and practice on your own, and don't be afraid to ask for opinions or help. Self discovery is your best teacher, and you'll get better with each try.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Draco Starcloud

The Interseptor's MA mode reminds me of those Bagu-Bagu things from the SD Gundam Force series. I also like the spikey look of the MS mode.

I think the Shaman looks more like a Hi-Zack than a Zaku, but that's just me.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10

Most of the gears apparently are taken from 0079 MSs', you should try to think differently to avoid similiarities with existing mechs.
SolidSpidr

Well these are old and I just wanted to start at the beginning so everything should get better from here.

Folken Fanel
Thanks, the Interseptor really was just a rip off of the Gaplant, but it just didn't turn out like I intended

Seraphic
Accurate and crude, yes that describes my early work perfectly. Well for the model numbers, origially had the Shamn be MS-06, but then it hit me that's the Zaku's, so i just dropped the m. for the Interseptor, TA stands for transformable suit and its the seventh attempt in that department. Yeah I learned myself that art classes are not to good for Mecha design, its really just better to find some tutorials on the net.

Draco
hmmm, not to familiar with the bagu-bagu things but the designs were supposed to based around UC 0087-0088, so that's probably why the Shaman looks Hi-Zackish.

Well now that the G1 drawings are mostly out of the way, lets get to the G2, as I like to call them.
ULT-01 Samus
An experimental mobile suit built fot space combat. Armor capability is low but has very high mobilty.
Author notes: named for the bounty hunter it remotely resembles.

ULT-02 Geotomiton
Part of the Final project, the Geotomiton is stolen and from colony 0 and is used to destroy both A.J.E.G. and J.E. alike.
Author notes: now that i think it, that's incorrect. The Geotomiton is controled by an A.I. and it goes haywire and destroys everything in its path. Also this is what happens when Geometry class gets boring.

AMS-27 Regrent
A mobile suit similar to the GR-Enforcer but has more mobility and armor. The weapons are more compact and stronger as well.
author notes: GR Enforcer is to GM II as Regrent is to Nemo

GMS-001 Wind Blade Gundam
A gundam designed and built by the colonies. It uses a new four fin jet system making it very fast and maneuverable.
Authors notes: I was having way to much fun drawing weapons for it.

Diaga Jaga
Its a franken I thought I would just toss in for the fun of it.
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
ORegan

SolidSpidr, don't pay attention to codename, he's like an old man yelling at kids about "them damn hip hop ipods, if Nixon was here..."

I actually like your work, it's alot better than I can draw. the MS form of the Interseptor is my favyy. :D

Even though codename may think you have the skill of "less than a kindergarten's" (insulting you, and then trying to congratulate you no less) it's still cool :wink:

The only thing I'd request is if they were bigger, but you may or may not be good at drawing things to take up the whole paper(god knows I'm not).

EDIT:
Also this is what happens when Geometry class gets boring.
You are like me in more ways than one, that's where I did my doodling :P And Geometry does, infact, suck.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
SolidSpidr

ORegan: yep, I do tend to try and cramp my ms in smaller spaces, but its just a size habit. larger ms tend to fill up the page while the smaller ones get to be cramped and less detailed. my mobile armors also seem to get the whole page too.

Anyways now more mecha goodness to go around.

GAX-EX-005
notes: Found this in one of my note books, never gave it a name but I did give it a Seedish number, which is where it's based from.

Barrage Gundam and Black Sun Blade Defense
A huge mobile suit equipped with enough firepower to rival a battleship. Barrage Gundam sees limited combat as it was designed for an earth invasion after the colonies were dealt with.
notes: Since its ground combat based, it gets turned into a turret for the Jupiterous Empire's flagship.

Vorken Battle Wolf
An experimental mech that can be equipped with various weapons and equipment. It carries a standard machine gun mounted in the head. To make up for its low firepower and armor it has a high speed and excellent mobility.
notes: I think this one turned out quite nice.

XS-22 Dominator
Designed with data from the Wind Blade the Dominator has an 8-fin jet system making it on par with the Wind Blade Gundam.
notes: This is one of my favs, oh and it decided to jack the Asshimar's beam rifle.
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
Draco Starcloud

When I saw the Dominator, I'd though you'd drawn Grimlock from Transformers.

And that's something I like!

I also like the Barrage since it looks like you're cramming in as much firepower as you can without sacrificing aesthetics. It makes me think of a Psycho Gundam but with missiles instead of beam guns.
Strike Zero

Draco Starcloud wrote:When I saw the Dominator, I'd though you'd drawn Grimlock from Transformers.
"Me, Dominator, KICK BUTT!!" :lol:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
SolidSpidr

I never saw that before, it does look like Grimlock.

More mechs!

RS-122 GR-Armor V-1
A medium range artillery unit melded with a mobile suit. Besides the artillery cannons its roll is minimal.

My hand in ship building...

Battle Cruiser Class: Obsidian
Standard cruiser for AJEG forces. carries up to seven mobile suits and has 11 cannons of various types.

Carrier Class:Trieme
Large Carrier built to carry an unreal amount of ms and still be able to dish out large payloads of firepower. Only one is actually built, the other two never see completion as the war ends before they can be fielded.

Carrier Class: Void
experimental cruiser designed to phase out the Accelerator class. These ships are canceled by the Black Sun shortly before their purge of the Crossbone Vanguard and never see competition.

Frigate Class: Accelerator
Standard ship for the Jovian Empire's Crossbone Vanguard unit. They are reliable ships with a long service history.
Last edited by SolidSpidr on Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
ORegan

I will say, that I like your ships alot better than your mobile suits. They have a sort of simple shape and design that the original MSG had, but look quite effective.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
SolidSpidr

Wow, kinda forgot I had a thread but anyway I forge on anew with the Shaman's succesor, the Shaman II, big name change eh?

YXE-016 Shaman II

Standard equipment loadout
-AS-14 type-H machine Gun w/Grenade Launcher
-Heavy Flux Heat Sword
-Arm mounted Standard Titanium Shield
-Light Anti-Personnel machine gun mounted on right arm

Later Redesign
-BAS-99 Beam Sub-Machine Gun
-Beam Boomarang mounted in left shoulder pad
-Arm mounted Heavy Titanium Shield
-Light Anti-Personnel machine gun mounted on right arm

Optional Equipment
KAF-088 Duratech Anti-Ship Bazooka

Notable Variations
-Shaman II Black Ops
-Shaman II F4 test type
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
SolidSpidr

Recently I’ve been toying with a story idea and have been drawing up ms for it. It spans about 50 years right now and effectively crosses (at least I think so) gundam, code geass and macross into one universe. It sounds insane and it is but I like what’s come of it so far.
Also I’ve been using Paint.net so some of my drawing will be colored! But since I’m still really bad at it most will still be just scanned hand drawings though.

The first unit to be colored is the SRM-014 El Diablo, a heavy ms.

El Diablo Standard

El Diablo Standard Command type

El Diablo Desert type

El Diablo Desert Command type

El Diablo test type

After the Splinter Republic (SR) introduced the first mobile suit, the Kieden, there was a scramble to try and get technology on level with the SR. Several countries secretly contacted the SR including Mexico, the US, the HRL, the Europian Union, and Canada to build them a unique ms. The SR, not complaining to be paid to build ms, readily agreed and began testing several prototypes, each to be unique to the country/organization that asked for it.

For Mexico the SR built a tough heavy ms that is resistant to the desert climate that makes up most of Mexico. Because of heavy armor the El Diablo lumbers along so the SR engineers designed a heavy chain gun to go with it. Little did the SR engineers know that in designinga heavy desert type ms would come back to haunt them.

EDIT: Chain Gun
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
Draco Starcloud

Reminds me a lot of a Tieran and a Leo put together. The legs seem a bit thin to me though.
Omega

The only role i see this thing getting is a recon or combat training Mech.

... No offense.
Omega

well... with some minor improvements...
SolidSpidr

I'm back with some new mechs.

SRUS-027 Fire Cat

The SRUS-027 Fire Cat is an air superiority ms designed mostly for anti aircraft combat. The Fire Cat has very thin armor and cannot take more than a couple rounds before reaching critical damage. This is mainly overcome with high speed, high attitude and an array of missiles and bombs.

SREU-032 Knightmare

The SREU-032 Knightmare is designed for Europe's roadways and is able to move at very high speeds and with exceptional maneuverability, at least on roadways. On sand and dirt the Knightmare loses much of its mobility and is often forced to walk rather than ride on its wheel system.

SRC-034 Tundra

The SRC-034 Tundra is a cold climate use ms built for the harsh winters in Canada. Due to the dire cold possibly icing over the joints and freezing the ms in place the Tundra has multiple heat coils spread along the exterior and interior to prevent this. The coils though also provide a nasty flaw. due to the high heat given off the Tundra has a ridiculous heat signature and is very difficult for it to shake off heat seeking objects. despite this the Tundra is very powerful and can easily hold its own in ms to ms combat.

I'm still playing around with a timeline and once it's sorted out I may post it in the fanfic section.
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
SolidSpidr

Hmm, Knightmares really seem to be the trend as of late. Well I seem to have caught the bug as well. Presenting two of my Knightmare frames, the Devon and the Paladin!

Devon
(pronounced Dee-von) A high performance 7th generation knightmare built with a pair of Slash Harkens both mounted on the right arm, a Blaze Luminous Shield that's been retooled for a larger area of cover and a shortened VARIS rifle usually fired form the left hand.

Only one Devon unit was built and its original purpose was to be used to infiltrate the Black Knights and cause chaos from the inside. This is the main reason its design reflects more of Japanese Knightmares yet keeping some more Britainnian designs. Before a strategy for its use could be devised Lelouch took the throne of Britannia and had it put to use in keeping down rebellion from the nobles.

Paladin
The Paladin is a heavy 7th generation Knightmare frame built alongside the Devon. It mounts four slash harkens, two of which are larger and are equipped with an EMP burst weapon that activates upon contact causing circuitry overloading and also causes an unusual reaction that forces the hit knightmare to self destruct. Its other weapon is a hand held haldron bazooka and a MVS which mounts on the backpack cockpit.

Like the Devon only one Paladin is built but its purpose was quite different. It was origanally built for the Knight of Twelve but wasn't finished until after Lelouch took control of Britannia. much like the Devon it is put to use quelling rebellions in Britannia.
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!