Ep. 005 - 00: Month Two, Newtypes & Mailbag Vol. 1

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 005 - 00: Month Two, Newtypes & Mailbag Vol. 1

Although temporarily back to it's original crew manifest, Gundamn! @ MAHQ sorties again with another new episode! In this installment Neo Lorrnoke & Soul Bro Ryu wrap up the second month of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00" covering episodes 5 - 8!

Then, in the second segment, they discuss their thoughts on Newtypes throughout the saga of Gundam, covering not only the original universe of Universal Century but also the Alternate Universes including the latest series, 00!

Last but not least, the two reply to letters sent in by listeners and comment on the progress of the show since the podcast has united with MAHQ.net! As always, there's Neo's News, interludes, and all the other features that you've come to expect from the gang at "Gundamn! @ MAHQ!!!"

BTW, for those that prefer a version of "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" with less music throughout the segments, there is also a "Unplugged" version available as well. As for our new addition, co-host Chris "The Bald Wizard" Guanche, expect him back and ready to launch next time in Episode 006!

Enjoy!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Gundamn! @ MAHQ
Episode Five - "Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Month Two, Newtypes & Mailbag Vol. 1"
Regular Version (w/ BGM) - Unplugged Version (BGM Lite)

Feel free to post comments, constructive criticisms, and replies to whatever was discussed in this episode. We plan to revisit many topics discussed on this program, and input on previous discussions may make it on the show when topics rebound, or in related topics in future episodes!

If you'd like to send in a recorded opinion up to 2 minutes long, simply e-mail it to [email protected]! Here are the guidelines for your submissions:

- The recording can be no more than 120 seconds.
- Must be in MP3 format and encoded in a Constant Bit Rate (CBR) of 128 kbps.
- The submission can either be a response to an issue spoken on a previous show, an opinion on a topic that will be featured in an upcoming episode, and idea for a future topic, or anything mecha related.

You can also look for me on Skype (search for email address: [email protected]), and if you have something prepared for the show, I can record it live! We look forward to hearing what you all have to say, and hope that it will make the next episode of Gundamn better than the last!

Fire at will!

Supplemental Links:
- Video Playlist Featuring Tuxedo Mark's "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" Video Promo & BoiWondr's AMVs!

Peep the Websites!
http://www.MAHQ.net
http://www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com
[email protected]

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
~SEED~

sweet! another! keep it up guys
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
Destiny_Gundam

I have a lot to say on the Newtype issue, so I'll hold my comments on that until later.

Another good show. I loved the JoJo card playing bit and that Dai-Guard clip is always hilarious. Thanks for the shout out too.

I was surprised to hear that Shinn is popular in Japan. I must say I'm glad to hear it because I think he deserves a lot better than he gets.

I may not have a girlfriend to travel to while listening to your podcast, but I did listen to it while organizing my Nanoha image folder (which is proving to be quite the undertaking).

Now I'm not sure which one of you it is (I can't assosiate names to voices without faces) but one of you keeps saying "My man Saji". I can tell we'll be at odds with each other for awhile as I HATE that kid. I can't stand him and his lack of initiative. He's got an awesome girlfriend and he does nothing. If she didn't drag him around, I'm sure he'd do nothing all day. My hate particularly increased in episode 9 when he lets Louise get taken away without so much as raising a protest. I look forward to your opinion on that scene. I certainly hope this future potential you speak of changes things. At the moment I can't accept that a wuss like Saji is dating Louise (who is my favourite character at the moment).

Now for the Newtype thing. While I like DOME's (who is not the source of AW Newtypes as you mistakenly claimed) explanation, however if you look at it realistically, Newtypes could be the next evolutionary step. Human evolution has always been in our ability to adapt. Why do we walk on two legs for example. Early humans needed to reach fruit high up in the trees so they stood on two legs. Eventually this worked its way into our genetic code. Space is indeed a new frontier for mankind. If we are exposed to that environment for long enough, our bodies will adapt to it. This can be seen with astronauts returning to Earth. When they get back they can't walk because in Zero G, you don't need your legs to get around, so your body will shut them down to conserve energy. ("You don't need legs in space!")

The concept of Newtype abilities come from the mind adapting to the 360 degrees of space. There is no solid ground so the mind has to process more about the environment, thus increasing our spatial awareness. Where the whole empathy thing comes in though, I don't have an answer for that. However, as we all know humans only use 10% of their brains. Space could be the key to unlock the other 90% (I'm sure some one in Gundam has said this, but I don't remember who). If that does happen, who knows what wacky mental powers we'd develop.

Something I totally disagree with though is that there are Newtypes in SEED. Granted there may be people similar to Newtypes, but that's it. The Flaga family for instance just had high spacial awareness. They just had more of a grasp on the area around them, allowing them to remotely control the gun pods effectively. Morgan is the same. Normal people wouldn't be able to keep track of the 4+ gunpods, their own position and the enemy position. I know Fukuda said that Rau and Mwu are the last Newtypes, but we all know how full of crap that guy is. The only aspect I can't find an explanation for is how Mwu and Rau could sense each other. That's about the only true Newtype powers they've displayed.

Kira is by no means even remotely a Newtype. They tried their hardest to make him come off as one, and in a way they succeded. Sure, he's the 'ultimate coordinator' but all that means is he turned out the way he was designed. Being a coordinator though naturally he has higher mental processes, but it never crosses into the realm of Newtypery. The most notable scene of course is when Kira first launched in the Strike Freedom. Indeed he did have a Newtype flash and yelled when his DRAGOONs attacked, but I am of the opinion that it was just done for aesthetics and doesn't actually mean anything. Concidering how SF's DRAGOON system was the type that let any pilot be able to handle them remotely, there was no psychic abilities involved in using them.

You mention Kira might have some La Flaga DNA in him, but I highly doubt that. Kira isn't a clone of any sort, he was conceived naturally. His father just took him out of his mother's womb when he was a zygote (fertilized egg) and put into an artificial womb.

I don't think there are Newtypes in 00 either. Soma and Al's reaction to each other is caused by their nanomachines. Technology was the cause, not some naturally occuring phenominom. Therefore I don't concider it a Newtype reaction.

This is all just my opinion of course. Who knows if it's right or wrong, but at the very least is sounds reasonable to me.

EDIT: Wow, did I really write that much? o_O
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
SOCL

As posted in another, less relevant thread (sorry):

Well, I was ecstatic to hear the use of my suggestion covering the nature of Newtypes! :D Interesting take on not just the human and moral character of Newtypes, but even the biology. You look at how Scirocco had purple eyes, something that can be somewhat explained considering the radiation of Jupiter.

I also liked the fact that you guys stayed away from trying to define Newtypes in a definitive way. If you had, it would have killed the idea and made it seem dogmatic. The fact various people on these boards disagree on the nature of Newtypes just shows the way they are a thing that each person and generation must define for themselves--in other words, what does it mean for each generation to understand humanity and humankind in a deeper way than normal humans. As for the biology and natural explanations of Newtypes, I personally believe you guys hit the concept on the head by not defining it in one way, but rather acknowledging that Newtypes occur in all forms and in all ways, rather than a static line of progression. Granted the single common factor is exposure to space, but whose to define everyone reaches the same peak by the same path? I believe you guys did a great job at realizing it, even if not purposely, that Newtypes don't necessarily have to follow the same patterns of progressions (i.e. compare Amuro's experience to Quess's, Char's, Lalah's, or Kamille's, or any of those to another).

I also appreciated that you guys not only took an in-universe(s) perspective, but an out-of-universe/production perspective, which gives it a much more complete look at the concept.

Now, I don't see why so many people object to Mirai or Revil's Newtype potential. The potential to be a Newtype has little to do with some mysterious Force (akin to Star Wars) or skill, but with humanity's ability to understand each other at a deeper level, even if inadvertently, or even without realization after the fact. Revil having Newtype potential simply explores the next step of humanity in-discriminant of age, social status, or lifestyle. This doesn't necessarily make it genetic, but those who have realized an almost Bodhisattva level of enlightenment, but, again, not always (if ever!) on purpose. Amuro and Kamille certainly didn't want to be or even realized they were Newtypes--it was simply something that happened to them, regardless of what they wanted, expected, or cared.

It would certainly be nice to see a second part to this topic!

As always, fantastic show! :D

As always, I expectantly look forward to the next episode! :D
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
Soul Bro Ryu

SOCL wrote:Well, I was ecstatic to hear the use of my suggestion covering the nature of Newtypes! :D Interesting take on not just the human and moral character of Newtypes, but even the biology. You look at how Scirocco had purple eyes, something that can be somewhat explained considering the radiation of Jupiter.
And what a great topic it was! I am so sorry that we didn't give you props for that topic when we recorded it. I will make sure that we definitely credit you next episode. Both of your opinions so far are really in-depth and it goes to show incredible a concept Newtypes are in the first place.

I also like the theory that Newtypes are the next step in human evolution batter than the other ideas presented in other Gundam series. It seems that it was the direction Tomino was originally aiming, judging from the opening of Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ for starters when they so the evolution of man and then it transitions to Amuro, Kamille, and finally Judau. I still love After War Gundam X though, but the "mutant" idea didn't really sit right with me.

When it comes to 00, it is really too early to tell if Soma & Allelujah are, but it does show shades of a Newtype connection, even if it's just their nanomachine reacting to them being in close proximity. Even if they aren't newtypes I hope the explanation that ties them together goes a lot deeper spiritually than what's already been speculated. As for the Seed Newtypes, I believe that they are, especially Mwu and his father. It was only bad writing & directing that didn't allow for more further study on the issue. So much potential was there too but Fukoda and company really let he chance slip through their fingers. A crying shame.

Thank you guys for the insight, and this is absolutely a subject we will visit again in the new year. Before I do, I think I need to give the MSG novel another go-around. Out of everything that exists for Gundam, that book is easily the Newtype bible. Neo & I joke around and call it the "Gospel" all the time. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
Tuxedo Mark

Another fun episode! :)

Thanks for the shout-out, guys!
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I
Now I'm not sure which one of you it is (I can't assosiate names to voices without faces) but one of you keeps saying "My man Saji". I can tell we'll be at odds with each other for awhile as I HATE that kid. I can't stand him and his lack of initiative. He's got an awesome girlfriend and he does nothing. If she didn't drag him around, I'm sure he'd do nothing all day. My hate particularly increased in episode 9 when he lets Louise get taken away without so much as raising a protest. I look forward to your opinion on that scene. I certainly hope this future potential you speak of changes things. At the moment I can't accept that a wuss like Saji is dating Louise (who is my favourite character at the moment).
It's not me, I'm with you about Saji. I hope he develops, because all i see is the clueless dude with the hot chick chasing him sterotype, that is getting tiresome.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Now I'm not sure which one of you it is (I can't assosiate names to voices without faces) but one of you keeps saying "My man Saji". I can tell we'll be at odds with each other for awhile as I HATE that kid. I can't stand him and his lack of initiative. He's got an awesome girlfriend and he does nothing. If she didn't drag him around, I'm sure he'd do nothing all day. My hate particularly increased in episode 9 when he lets Louise get taken away without so much as raising a protest. I look forward to your opinion on that scene. I certainly hope this future potential you speak of changes things. At the moment I can't accept that a wuss like Saji is dating Louise (who is my favourite character at the moment).

Saji Crossroad.

What can be said about him that already hasn't? A lot actually.

I get it. I'm certain 99% of the viewing audience outside of Japan probably dislikes this character, believing him to be bland, weak-willed, milquetoast, and a useless side-character that fits all the stereotypes about lead males in anime. Honestly, I don't blame you.

When compared to the likes of Setsuna, Lockon, Alleujah, and Tieria, it's hard to notice the qualities that make Saji a great character, as he seeming so easy going that he doesn't seem rich enough to have development potential or an interesting back-story.

Then when paired with someone as bouncy and exciting as his girlfriend, Louise, he seems even more plain, being ever bit as weak as she is strong-willed. On top of that, he is very Japanese (despite his uniquely foreign last name), Remaining polite to both Louise and her domineering mother despite their disposition towards him. The pairing with him and her kind of reminds me of Dr. Kenzo Tenma from "Monster", which is why I probably like him so much.

Much like Dr. Tenma, Saji is a quiet guy with a good nature who is aloof but will do his best to try to please his girlfriend. Although Louise isn't as manipulative or heartless as Tenma's fiancee, Eva Heinemann, is at the start of "Monster", they do share some of the same qualities:

- Louise & Eva both come from wealthy backgrounds, being used to the finer things in life. For Louise, there is no case where this is evident then when she insists on Saji sharing the cost of a private cabin on the Gravity train in Ep. 005. On top of that, Poor Kinue's wallet...

- Both are very demanding of their men. It doesn’t help that Saji (Now) or Tenma (at the start of Monster) didn't object or show some damn backbone, but on the other side of the coin, sometimes both women start conflict just to see if they can get a reaction out of their loves. Granted, both men could use a swift kick, but for those chicks to add additional stress to the relationship isn't probably the best way.

- Both women are spoiled, although again, Louise is the better nature of the two. Then again, she's half the age of Eva so I don't know what she'd be like by that age, but I'd hope she'd still have some innocence. I'm sure they're used to getting most of what they want, which is why they latch onto cats as accommodating as Saji & Kenzo.

- They both have parents that influence their lives. There's a huge difference here though, as Louise opposes her mother's wishes, while Eva was "daddy's little girl". Still the parents cause both men grief to no end.

Because I get the "Eva" vibe from Louise, I can't say I care for her much. Maybe she'll prove her worth and become less two-dimensional in later episodes, but right now she's seems to be only there for fan-service and that's all. Then again, Lynn Minmei from "Robotech: The Macross Saga" annoyed me to, the way she toyed with Rick. BTW, even if Saji made a move, there was no way he was going to get any play from Louise. She kinda seems like a "CT" to me, but it's probably because I'm bitter. -_-

Maybe I'm going on a limb to compare Saji & Tenma, but their disposition is so similar as the beginning of their stories, that I can't help but have it ring a bell. Eventually, events take a turn for the worst in Tenma's life causing him to step up and take action instead of cavalier to the swirling drama around him, and I honestly believe that the same will happen to Saji Crossroad as the show develops. Otherwise, why go out of your way to keep such a vigil on an apparently non-consequential character unless he was part of the major plot later. Most folks don't like him for the man he is now, but I appreciate it, for he maybe a completely different man by series end.

When I mentioned the pilots earlier, the differences between them and Saji are like night and day. All of their defining moments have already happened for the most part, although I expect them to be developed over the course of the series as well. You've gotta’ love the little hints of past that we get throughout the episode and it keeps the intrigue and mystery behind these characters alive as we get to know them more. Like a Polaroid picture that is slowly developing. It's a great plot trick that has thoroughly entertained me in series like Lost & Heroes, and I'm elated to see it in a Gundam series too.

Since the four pilots histories have been mapped, it's a luxury (at least for me) to have a character whose path will be forged by the events in the series. A blank slate, if you will. Right now, if Saji (and his sister too) represent anything, it is the audience watching, commenting on the happenings around them as they slowly become more and more involved. Much like Ando in "Heroes" or Hurley in "Lost". It may be dumb luck or cruel fate that he is Setsuna's neighbor, but I know that can't be his only reason of being in the show. Or maybe, I'm just in denial.

For most they may not be noteworthy, but I think we've already been privy to a few events that have foreshadowed his true character:

- On two occasions, he didn't hesitate to protect or save Louise from pending doom: when she fell off of the pillar and when the bus exploded. When it came to the latter, he had covered her up so well that I couldn't even see her under him at first.

- The times where he actually voices his opinions on what's happening, like when he disagrees with Celestial Beings methods. However, he does have gratitude towards them for saving the lives of him and Louise. Make me wonder how that will play once he reaches the crossroads the plot (hopefully) will place him in.

- Although, this counts more towards prior development, but he himself has also endured loss, with the death of his parents due to warfare/terrorism. I can't remember if any details of the incident were dropped, or if he and/or his sister witnessed the death of them, but I'm sure it has had an effect on his current state and I'm sure will play a part in the events to come.

I'll be honest and admit that when I watch a show, I usually latch onto the character that I relate most to or like the most. When it comes to mech shows, in Nadesico it was Gai Daigouji (although tragically we'd didn't get enough of him). For Dai-Guard, it was Shunsuke Akagi all the way, since I was about his age when I first watched the show, worked in an office, and had aspirations to be something better than what I was. On top of that, he was an otaku and model collector, which made him even more likeable. In most of the Gundam series, though I was never as connected to the leads though as I was some of the supporting characters, probably due to the fact that you didn't get to spend as much time with them as one would like:

- MSG: Bright Noa
- 08th: Norris Packard
- 0080: Bernie Wiseman (short series though)
- MSZG: Emma Sheen
- MSGZZ: Judau Ashita (a definite exception)
- CC: Char Aznable (about time)
- GF91: Dorothy Moore (Thanks, Destiny!)
- MSVG: Odelo Henrik
- MFGG: Schwartz Bruder
- NMRGW: Trieze Kushrenada (best pimp ever)
- AFGX: Jamil Neate
- TAG: Loran Cehack (the chillest pilot in Gundam)
- MSGS: Athrun Zala (the "John McClane" of Gundam Pilots)
- MSGSD: Athrun Zala (again, the recipient of the “Bloodied Wife-beater” award)
- MSGSZ: Edmond Duclos (such bad-assery, so little time)
- MSG00: Saji Crossroad

All I know is that I see a lot of story potential for this character, for unlike most of the characters, the majority of Saji’s legend is being written as the series progresses. If nothing is done with him, save for being in the show for comedic value, then I’ll gladly eat crow, but if his stock rises and he becomes plot-important, then I hope public opinion with change about him. I guess well see soon enough.

Thanks for reading, and with that said. Let the Saji Crossroad beatings resume! ^_^
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:On two occasions, he didn't hesitate to protect or save Louise from pending doom: when she fell off of the pillar and when the bus exploded. When it came to the latter, he had covered her up so well that I couldn't even see her under him at first.
Actually, Saji was laying on his side, he wasn't covering Louise at all (well, his arm was over her atleast). If he was trying to shield her, he wasn't doing a very good job of it.

And yeah, I'm sure my opinion of Saji will change as he actually does something, but right now I don't like him. Like you, I do tend to like characters I can identify with. With Saji though, I keep having instances of saying "Man! You should have done this! Geeze, if i was in that position, I would totally..." etc.

Also, that chick from F91 was Dorothy Moore (I'm fairly sure of this). I was always quite fond of her aswell.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm kinda in that camp too. If Saji doesn't have sex with Louise or become a Gundam pilot or something, I'll happily pick up a Colt .45 and shoot him.

And Athrun is the John McClane of Gundam? I don't know Soul Bro, he didn't have any bad ass lines like "Geronimo motherf*****," or, "Yipee-ki-yay motherf*****," or "I'm gonna F-kill ya, then I'm gonna F-cook ya, then I'm gonna F-eat you!"
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
hotlimit

Given what happened most recently, I can see Saji turning into a serious villain, and dare I say it, don the mask. Season 2, if there's a guy in a mask and you don't see Saji around, you know who's behind it.