Ep. 004 - Makin' Waves & Gundam in Gaming

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 004 - Makin' Waves & Gundam in Gaming

Wake your daughter up! Episode 004 has finally sortied!

Welcome to the feedback thread for Episode Four of Gundamn! @ MAHQ.

Topics covered in this episode were:
- Makin' Waves! - The Greatest Women in Gundam (Extended Segment)
- Welcome to the Adventure! - Gundam in Video Gaming, Vol. 001

Episode 004: Makin' Waves & Gundam in Video Gaming (Regular Version)
Ep. 004 - Unplugged Version (Music-Lite Version)
(Right Click & Save!)

Production Note: I apologize in advance about some of the slight skips in Chris's dialog. I realized what the problem was after receiving the audio track and it shouldn't happen next time we record. -_-

Feel free to post comments, constructive criticisms, and replies to whatever was discussed in this episode. We plan to revisit many topics discussed on this program, and input on previous discussions may make it on the show when topics rebound, or in related topics in future episodes!

If you'd like to send in a recorded opinion up to 2 minutes long, simply e-mail it to [email protected]! Here are the guidelines for your submissions:

- The recording can be no more than 120 seconds.
- Must be in MP3 format and encoded in a Constant Bit Rate (CBR) of 128 kbps.
- The submission can either be a response to an issue spoken on a previous show, an opinion on a topic that will be featured in an upcoming episode, and idea for a future topic, or anything mecha related.

You can also look for me on Skype (search for email address: [email protected]), and if you have something prepared for the show, I can record it live! We look forward to hearing what you all have to say, and hope that it will make the next episode of Gundamn better than the last!

Fire at will!

Supplemental Links:
- Video of Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Warfield (YouTube)

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

Also, this episode features "BattleTime" (@ 82:25), a remix track featuring by none other than Tony Bacala - music producer whose well known for mixing music & sound-bites together, especially from "Transformers". I wish I could claim that I made this, but I aspire to create mix tracks that are on this level someday. Consider it a bonus to all the listeners, especially those form the "Me" generation. ^_^

If you like that song, look for more at Tony Bacala's MySpace and on the forums at his Transformers website, TFW2005.com!
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Kavik Ryx

I was actually quite surprised that Relena was only on one of the worst 5 lists
Phantomexe87

This was pretty funny. Need more of these top 10 things. Lot of laughs on the worst 5, especially Lunamaria fighting a gundam dog in space.
Destiny_Gundam

Great episode. I laughed several times.

I'm really glad you guys love Gundam X so much. It was the 2nd Gundam series I ever saw (Wing being the first) and it's still my favourite to this day. Good to know others share my love for it.

Gundam VS Zeta Gundam is my favourite game too. You guys failed to mention the best thing about that game though: you can unlock the Double Zeta Gundam. Judau and the Ple twins are also usable pilots. Good times.

Also, I saw Gungrave!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soul Bro Ryu

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Great episode. I laughed several times.

I'm really glad you guys love Gundam X so much. It was the 2nd Gundam series I ever saw (Wing being the first) and it's still my favourite to this day. Good to know others share my love for it.

Gundam VS Zeta Gundam is my favourite game too. You guys failed to mention the best thing about that game though: you can unlock the Double Zeta Gundam. Judau and the Ple twins are also usable pilots. Good times.

Also, I saw Gungrave!
LoL! I'm glad you caught that! I love that show!

We totally forgot to mention the fact that Judau, the Ples, and Empress Haman are selectable in it. Sorry about that. The ZZ is uber powerful in that game, no wonder it's hidden.

Gundam X is really an outstanding series, although if 00 continues to be as compelling as it has been, but series end, it might be a contender for X's crown in my book. I can only hope that series matches the caliber of X when it concludes.
Phantomexe87 wrote:This was pretty funny. Need more of these top 10 things. Lot of laughs on the worst 5, especially Lunamaria fighting a gundam dog in space.
Chris turns out to be a hilarious guy. He fell into our rhythm nicely and cracked wise about more than I expected. My favorite part was when he brought up Luna from V Gundam. That chick was bananas.
Kavik Ryx wrote:I was actually quite surprised that Relena was only on one of the worst 5 lists
I was more surprised to find that Quess didn't register on either of their's. Man, I despise her to no end. As for Relena, she may have been more nosy than Jessica Fletcher, but I can't bring myself to hate her as much. To each their own I guess.

Anyone have any Top 10 Greatest / Top 5 Hated Women of Gundam lists?
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Phantomexe87

Top 5 hated women

1. Nina Purpleton (what can I say that hasn't already been said?)
2. Relena Peacecraft (pacifism, nuff said)
3. Cagalli "Crying" Athha
4. Kamaria Ray (way to be a mother)
5. Mayu Asuka (if just for showing up in so many pointless flashbacks)

Top 10 women

1. Haman Karn
2. Ennil El
3. Kycilia Zabi
4. Emma Sheen
5. Tiffa Adill
6. Cecily Fairchild
7. Mouar Pharaoh
8. Murrue Ramius
9. Allenby Beardsley
10. Cima Garahau (if only for nearly killing Kou)
Ascension

I haven't had time to listen to Ep. 4 yet, but I just want to say this...

You mentioned that one of the reasons you liked G-Gundam was because for once a Gundam show had a good love story. I'm quite fond of Gundam X for much the same reason. Sure, it's in a whole different ballpark than the Domon/Rain/Allenby triangle (I still pair DomonxAllenby, but that's another story for another time), but I thought they did a wonderful job of capturing the awkwardness of childhood romance, particularly in that scene in... I think it's somewhere in the ocean arc... anyway, the scene where they're standing beside each other and Garrod aaaaaaaaaalmost takes her hand but chickens out at the last second. The fear of rejection is palpable.

It's the human moments that set a really good real robot show apart from other mecha anime in my mind. X, 0080, G, they all did it in different ways, but they all showcased genuine emotion. That's what makes me love them.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Destiny_Gundam

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Anyone have any Top 10 Greatest / Top 5 Hated Women of Gundam lists?
Curse you for making me think about this.....

The loved:

10.) Hilde Schbeiker (Gundam Wing) - One of the more likable Wing characters. A decent pilot who realized quickly she wasn't on the right side. She went to great lengths to help Duo. She almost got killed by the Mercurious and Vayate doing it too. An overall nice girl.

9.) Lucrezia Noin (Gundam Wing) - Another likable Wing character. A great pilot and loyal to the end, she always had it together and knew how things were. Her devotion to Zechs is rather endearing.

8.) Nanai Miguel (CCA) - Here's a woman I bet most never think about it. I always thought she was the perfect match for Char. She was a strong commanding officer but was still very much a woman. Plus she slaps around Quess. That warrents bonus points.

7.) Elle Vianno (Gundam ZZ) - Chris'll tell you about how much I LOVE Double Zeta Gundam. Elle was definitely my favourite from that show. She was a tough girl that didn't let any of the guys push her around. I always liked her and Judau as a couple. They had such good chemistry. Elle was also a pretty good pilot. Most big slip ups were the fault of others. Sure, she was no Emma, but concidering how out of date the Mark II was at this point, it's amazing she did so well.

6.) Allenby Beardsley (G Gundam) - A really fun character. Despite her background she's a relatively normal girl who just wants to have a good time. She's also an awesome pilot. I wish she had gotten together with Domon instead, but alas. I have nothing against Rain btw.

5.) Christina Sierra (Gundam 00) - Although she hasn't had much screen time yet, Christina has quickly grown on me, especially after that shopping stint. I look forward to liking her more in the future.

4.) Louise Halevy (Gundam 00) - Another character who's quickly grown on me. Her care free and fun loving attitude just shows how normal she is. Normal people in Gundam always get bonus points with me. I just hope she dumps that dead weight (aka Saji).

3.) Flay Allster (Gundam SEED) - Most people would put her on their hated list, but not me! At first I thought she was just a crazy bitch like the rest did, but I realized it's not her fault. She was a pampered rich girl who suddenly had her father, her only family, taken away from her. How would you react? Flay is a victim of a war she wanted nothing to do with. Her mind just couldn't handle her situation so she reacted poorly. I definitely sympathise with her and I do believe she redeemed herself in the end, so I'm happy for that (I still love Rau to death though).

2.) Meer Campbell (Gundam SEED Destiny) - Another girl you'd think would be hated. I definitely liked Meer better than Lacus. Meer is far more human. She was a (relatively) unattractive girl, a total nobody until Gilbert discovered her. Every one of us has dreamed of being a 'somebody' at one point in their life. You can't blame her for taking up the Lacus persona. It was for the good of her nation as well. Meer worked her butt off while the real Lacus played with kids on the beach. When the real Lacus shows back up, of course Meer doesn't want to give up her stardom. Who would? You can't blame her for having an identity crisis. But in the end, instead of letting Lacus die so she could become the 'real' Lacus, Meer decided to give up her own life instead. I really wish Lacus would have gotten capped instead. >>

1.) Asuna Elmarit (Ecole Du Ciel) - Betcha didn't see this coming. Ah Asuna. Where to start. Well, female Gundam protagonist for one. The ONLY one to my knowledge. She always reminded me of Noriko Takaya from Gunbuster. Since Noriko is more or less my favourite anime female ever, naturally I'd like Asuna. She's an underachiever, constantly bullied by her classmates. But despite all that she pulls herself together, doesn't let it get her down and trains her cute little ass off. She proves to everyone she has what it takes and becomes (arguably) the best pilot in the school with her budding Newtype powers. A sweet, kind, goofy girl, you can't help but love her. Also, delicious flat chest is delicious.

The hate:

5.) Lacus Clyne (Gundam SEED) - The virgin Mary herself. Lacus just SCREAMS 'Mary-Sue'. Practically perfect in every way, she's hardly even human. One of the few times she actually showed some emotion was when she cried in Kira's arms for her father. Other than that, things come waaaay too easy for her. Also, she stops a war and what does she do afterwards? Leaves her people behind to live in the lap of luxery (so to speak). Well, I don't dislike her -that- much, and she certainly has redeemed herself at the end of Destiny by becoming the ZAFT Chairman. She should have done that at the end of SEED.

4.) Sarah Zabiarov (Zeta Gundam) - Arg, Scirocco fan girl. She was just plain annoying and kept bouncing all over the place. Remind me never to date a Cyber Newtype...

3.) Nina Purpleton (Gundam 0083) - Yeah, you guys touched on most of the main points. Stupid Gundam obsessed flip flopping bitch.

2.) Quess Paraya (CCA) - Most. Annoying. Loli. Ever. Nuff said.

1.) Katejina Loos (V Gundam) - Crazy bitch, but not in a good way. I wanted her to die horribly. WHY DID ODELO HAVE TO DIE?!?!
Merbum

Awesome work. I got a lot of laughs out of it too.
I agree with Neo's number one Gundam chick. I really liked Haman a lot in the series, If i had a top ten, i think she would be up there. Same with Emma, she would be up there too.

All in all, awesome job! I cannot wait to see what topics will come up next!
Koshernova

Another great episode, guys. Loved the "top..." lists. I kinda wish you'd gone into some choices a bit more in-depth, but you guys did so for most of them so I can't complain.

You also made me laugh much more on this one. I loved this bit:

"Lunamaria Hawke... first of all, she piloted a red Zaku. She besmirched it, by being the worst pilot I've ever seen."

"Hey, she had to fight a Gundam dog in space. Char never had to deal with that kind of embarrassment."
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Chris
Administrator

Kosh wrote:Another great episode, guys. Loved the "top..." lists. I kinda wish you'd gone into some choices a bit more in-depth, but you guys did so for most of them so I can't complain.

You also made me laugh much more on this one. I loved this bit:

"Lunamaria Hawke... first of all, she piloted a red Zaku. She besmirched it, by being the worst pilot I've ever seen."

"Hey, she had to fight a Gundam dog in space. Char never had to deal with that kind of embarrassment."
Heh... we ended up going far more in-depth than we originally planned. That segment was only supposed to run about 15 minutes, and it actually ran close to 50. As for Lunamaria... well, you have to give the girl credit for seriously fighting in such an embarrassing situation.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Koshernova

I have to say I like Lunamaria, but of course, she needed more development as a character. Anyway,

I was surprised that Four Murasame didn't make it into either list. Then again she's not as relevant a character as, say, Haman, Emma or Murrue...
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Kavik Ryx

Hilarious, that is all I can really say, now I really want to play Rise from the Ashes and Blue Destiny if I can. As for a top 10 and bottom 5, here it goes.

Greatest
1. Emma Sheen
2. Frau Bow
3. Tiffa Adil
4. Allenby Beardsley
5. Elpe Puru
6. Sochie Heim
7. Roux Louka
8. Junko Jenko
9. Cecily Fairchild
10. Lunamaria Hawke

Worst.
5. Nina Purpleton
4. Iceleena
3. Masai N'Gava
2. Cancer Kafka
1. Relena Peacecraft
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Merbum wrote:Awesome work. I got a lot of laughs out of it too.
I agree with Neo's number one Gundam chick. I really liked Haman a lot in the series, If i had a top ten, i think she would be up there. Same with Emma, she would be up there too.

All in all, awesome job! I cannot wait to see what topics will come up next!
Thanks;

Haman Karn's the type of chick that delights and scares us at the same time.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
VentZX

Great show. Really quite funny. The hate for Nina Purpleton is strong in this one! ha!

I was surprised however that Christina from 0080 wasn't on the list! She certainly ranks up there with Emma as one of my favorite Gundam girls. She may not have been the main focus of the OVA, but she was still pretty awesome in the Alex while managing to be the hot girl next door, literally. Not to mention she turned unknowingly turned her love interest into hamburger meat. he he.

Anyway, I'm glad that Emma and Haman were up there at the top. Haman is the epitome of a woman scorned and her willingness and ability to get retribution makes her someone to be feared and admired. Emma of course gets the credit for being the first female Gundam pilot and she didn't suck. She was also hot. Soul Bro, I know how you feel. ahem..., but really, I laughed at the "space madness" bit.

Which brings me to another point. Good job Chris! It was actually a treat to hear him on the podcast and it seems that the three of you all got along well.

I'm entirely to lazy to come up with my own list, but my top three is pretty obvious.

Keep up the good work!
Tuxedo Mark

I just listened to episode 4. I love it! Thanks for the shout-out, Soul Bro!

I don't know if I can make any top 10 or top 5 lists, but here are my loved and hated women in no particular order:

Loved:

Emma Sheen
Christina MacKenzie
Asuna Elmarit
Sayla Mass

Hated:

Reccoa Londe (after she joined the Titans)
her name escapes me, but the one that kept saying "Master Paptimus"

I really need to watch more Gundam.
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
speedstriker

I can't believe nobody mentioned Lahla Sune in the forum at all, and even in the show, it was on the hate list!

But, anyway, here goes my list:

Love:
1. Haman (Z, ZZ)
2. Lahla (0079, CCA)
3. Aina (08th MS Team)
4. Sayla (0079, not CCA where she does nothing...)
5. Kycillia (0079)
6. Crowley Hamon (0079)
7. Shakti (V Gundam, just such a strong girl.)
8. Christina Mackenzie (0080)
9. Karen (08th MS Team)
10. Puru (One. Why not?)
Destiny_Gundam

Tuxedo Mark wrote:her name escapes me, but the one that kept saying "Master Paptimus"
That would be Sarah Zabiarov
manmiles

I'm amazed Fraw Bow didn't turn up on the list, but I guess that she never had as much to do in the series after chasing after Amuro when he deserts and when she convinces him to pilot the Gundam in episode 8.

Say what you like, but she shows the balls to fly the Gundam first time in the middle of a battle while reading the manuel, that takes serious guts.

But of course, she also failed to teach Katz that maybe acting like Amuro isn't such a good idea, but she was sadly sidelined as a character, even after her husband died in ZZ.

Lunamaria Hawke appears to be thrown inot Destiny to give the doujinshi artists something to draw.
mcred23

manmiles wrote: Say what you like, but she shows the balls to fly the Gundam first time in the middle of a battle while reading the manuel, that takes serious guts.
What episode was this? I know Sayla piloted the Gundam at least twice, but I never recall Fraw doing so.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')