Best G Generation for my dollar

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
DixieFlatline

Best G Generation for my dollar

After recently picking up the G Gen DS, and a previous addiction to the SNES strategy games, I dug around a bit and rediscovered the G Generation titles for the PS1 and PS2. A little more research has left me with a drooling desire for said games, but the problem I've come to is my inability to figure out which one to buy. I'm looking for opinions from those that have played these titles as to which one could even loosely be considered the "best".

What I'm looking for is a game thats a little more heavy on the UC side of things, that doesn't necessarily need a lot of the AU shenanigans. Graphical quality isn't high on the list, but, admittedly, it doesn't hurt to have something pretty to look at when you don't speak/read Japanese. Relatively easy to understand system is a plus, but I'm not one to shy away from guess and check or heavy FAQ usage. Immense amounts of MS and variations, as well as many, many missions to obliterate things with said MS, is a given. Alternate routes would be nice as well. In short, a complete, fun, and replayable game.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
J-Lead

Re: Best G Generation for my dollar

DixieFlatline wrote:
-What I'm looking for is a game thats a little more heavy on the UC side of things.

-Graphical quality isn't high on the list, but, admittedly, it doesn't hurt to have something pretty to look at when you don't speak/read Japanese.

-Immense amounts of MS and variations, as well as many, many missions to obliterate things with said MS, is a given.
I think you just basically described G Generation Spirits. It's all UC, has almost every unit from UC (and then some,) and the graphics are just shy of the most recent and advanced SRW games.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Recon 5

Seriously, though, the '3D' sprites in Spirits are nowhere near as detailed or as well animated as the 2D ones in the Alpha series. I wonder why they decided to make the switch.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
J-Lead

Recon 5 wrote:Seriously, though, the '3D' sprites in Spirits are nowhere near as detailed or as well animated as the 2D ones in the Alpha series. I wonder why they decided to make the switch.
Personally, I'm glad they did. The 3D models and animations in G Generation SEED were absolutely hideous in my opinion, and the way they moved just didn't seem natural. The units in G Generation Spirits aren't quite as fluidly animated as the SRW games, but it's still the best out of the G Gen series from my experiance.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Kuruni

Spirits also has solid cast of MS. Some are missing (GM Cold Climate for example), but those often just minot variant (gameplay-wise) for other unit.

Several feature like Haro point or how large unit actually take several grids and space in squad also offer more complex strategy.

BTW, I think Spirits use 2D sprites...
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mark064

Haro point I found is more annoying then anything, if you wanna get Platina to get the best characters it's quite easy to do just time consuming as hell. The cast of MS not included in the specific works seem to be lacking as well...
Kyranik

The most noticeable problem I find with Sprits' animation is that there's so little animation for evadng an attack or being hit. They just "snap" back from their evade or hit sprite to their normal sprite with barely any animation inbetween.

Compared to a recent SRW it looks quite bad, imo.

Then again, I hate it even more in G Gen Neo/SEED where they change the camera angle every time a different attack happens.
hotlimit

I never played Spirits but my favorite has to be G Gen F (I also like Cross Drive and G Gen Advance, but they aren't the most accurate or inclusive games).
G Gen F for PSX has one of the most comprehensive archives of MS from everything pre-SEED. My favorite point is that it includes every suit from Gundam X, even the four goofy suits that were piloted by the random aces in the middle of the series (they don't show up in the game's scenario mode but you can acquire them nonetheless).

It can be a pain to amass a good army at first (I had to use a guide) but once you dos the sky is the limit. The only thing I was annoyed with is that you can only hire pilots from the shows for one mission at a time, you never get them permanently. So, you're forced to use Bandai original characters most of the time.
turkishproverb

hotlimit wrote:I never played Spirits but my favorite has to be G Gen F (I also like Cross Drive and G Gen Advance, but they aren't the most accurate or inclusive games).
G Gen F for PSX has one of the most comprehensive archives of MS from everything pre-SEED. My favorite point is that it includes every suit from Gundam X, even the four goofy suits that were piloted by the random aces in the middle of the series (they don't show up in the game's scenario mode but you can acquire them nonetheless).

It can be a pain to amass a good army at first (I had to use a guide) but once you dos the sky is the limit. The only thing I was annoyed with is that you can only hire pilots from the shows for one mission at a time, you never get them permanently. So, you're forced to use Bandai original characters most of the time.
All of them? They have the snowboarders?
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
Recon 5

The snowboarders if I recall correctly were just regular suits (Jenices I think) with optional equipment. They don't have to show all variations of every suit but I think they have all the basic designs. Besides, its a Gundam game, not a Mobile Suit game, so it would just be enough for them to include all the Gundams. Going further is already a favor for fans.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
turkishproverb

Recon 5 wrote:The snowboarders if I recall correctly were just regular suits (Jenices I think) with optional equipment. They don't have to show all variations of every suit but I think they have all the basic designs. Besides, its a Gundam game, not a Mobile Suit game, so it would just be enough for them to include all the Gundams. Going further is already a favor for fans.
Watching it now. Head design is entirely different from the Jenice. COloring is different form any others, although that could mean anything. some other minor differences could be animation errors.

Your right about the second part though. He just said every unit so I was curious.
Ascension wrote:
Kuruni

The snowboarder is Juracg "Polar Bear" type. IIRC, You can purchase normal Juracg but need to input Black History code (or buy it in G Generation F.I.F.) to purchase Polar Bear.
My girlfriend was a loli.
turkishproverb

Kuruni wrote:The snowboarder is Juracg "Polar Bear" type. IIRC, You can purchase normal Juracg but need to input Black History code (or buy it in G Generation F.I.F.) to purchase Polar Bear.
Danka!

Now to go find a place that has G Generation F and F.I.F.
Ascension wrote: