Game Covers -- Japan versus U.S.

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
MechaGear

Game Covers -- Japan versus U.S.

Has anyone else noticed that in general, the original covers for Japanese games tend to be more "artistic" than their eventual U.S. versions? Just looking at classic mecha games, at least, this can be seen pretty frequently.

Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
Japanese version
U.S. version

Gundam: Rise from the Ashes
Japanese version
U.S. version

Same with Tech Romancer, Einhander, etc...

Seeing as giant robots were mostly considered "too Japanese" to be successfully marketed in the U.S., it's interesting how the U.S. versions tend to over-emphasize the robot in a more straight-forward fashion than the Japanese ones. Though I'm guessing this is done to try and remove any trace of an "anime-like" style.

What do you guys think? Can American audiences handle more visual sophistication in their marketing, or do things need to be dumbed down for us before we buy them?
Last edited by MechaGear on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz Ashlyn

I disagree(?)

Edit: Also, please remove the image tags from your post.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

The same thing is done with anime DVD covers.

I just don't get the reasoning behind this practice, though MechaGear may be on to something.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Recon 5

With regards to the Einhander package and other game packages with completely unrelated/ metaphorical pictures, I can say that US publishers are probably trying to appeal to impulse buyers, i.e. people who will not even pick up a game box (much less check the back where all the info is) unless it gets their attention. As a shooter/ mecha fan myself, I'll say that if I had seen that hand X- Ray before I knew what 'Einhander' was all about I would have just moved on without a second glance.

Sadly enough, most buyers are like that, responding to pretty (and relevant) pictures. Only the most dedicated fans will make an effort to know the titles beforehand and pick up boxes based on that.
mcred23

IIRC, the cover art for anime DVD's is changed due to the fact that companies don't want to pay the artists to keep the original art (This got mentioned somewhere, either on this forum or someplace, recently, but for the life of me, I can't find it). It wouldn't surprise me of games coming from Japan do the same thing for the same reason (To reduce costs for the company slightly).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Out of curiosity, was there ever a game that kept the Japanese cover art for the US release?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Wedge14

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Out of curiosity, was there ever a game that kept the Japanese cover art for the US release?
Some of the games from the Suikoden series kept the same cover art. Tho they were slightly modified to be in English and what not. The first game in the series has the a wonky different cover art, but the original japanese art exists as the cover of the instruction manual.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Kyranik

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Out of curiosity, was there ever a game that kept the Japanese cover art for the US release?
Devil May Cry 4.

It seems Europe does it a lot more for some reason, with the European release of Dynasty Warriors Gundam using the coverart from Gundam Musou, albeit with the Dynasty Warriors Gundam logo replacing the Gundam Musou one, and the EU release of Gundam: Target in Sight/Crossfire is the exact same cover as the Japanese release. (Also using the TIS name)

Also, the covers for Final Fantasy games are the same in Europe as Japan, except with the small katakana below the title removed. Which I personally think are nicer then the US covers.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Out of curiosity, was there ever a game that kept the Japanese cover art for the US release?
Bleach: The Blade of Fate (DS) kept its original box art, though it's slightly modified and the original title was also changed.

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
G-Slayer

Bleach: The Blade of Fate (DS) kept its original box art, though it's slightly modified and the original title was also changed.
IIRC, the cover art for anime DVD's is changed due to the fact that companies don't want to pay the artists to keep the original art (This got mentioned somewhere, either on this forum or someplace, recently, but for the life of me, I can't find it). It wouldn't surprise me of games coming from Japan do the same thing for the same reason (To reduce costs for the company slightly).
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me either. Good eye by the way.

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!