(Let's Play?) Utawarerumono

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
VR7

(Let's Play?) Utawarerumono

Yes, there is a thread in the Anime section, but this thread in particular will actually cover the game.

Edit: I want to focus on the gameplay aspect of the game and probable story differences between the anime and the game, both PS2 and PC. But because the PC version is an eroge, which means pr0n, I should also put a warning that you should steer clear if you are under 18 years old.

As I may have said before, Utawarerumono started off as a visual novel and strategy RPG. It was later adapted into an anime series, a manga, and a non-hentai PS2 version with improved gameplay mechanics. If you've played other sRPGs, (Super Robot Wars, etc.) this game is pretty generic in comparison regardless of what version you play, but makes up by having a decent storyline and some rather colourful artwork.

The version you see here is the PC version, which of course, is a hentai game.
Example of the translation style which appeals to both elitists and non-elitists. The text normally appears white, but if you rewind to re-read dialogue, it will appear in that orange-y colour.

If I indulge in doing an LP thread on this game though, note that I will skip all hentai scenes, just because.

But as you can see, a fan translation of the game has been released by mirror moon. Similar to the Policenauts translation project, mirror moon's releases are only translation patches, so if you want to play, you'll need to import the original game for the PC. You might be able to find it on Play-Asia.com.
Last edited by VR7 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-noel
AU_Gundam MK II

What exactly is a Hentai game? I always get the bad impression of it having what too much sex, hormones, and such, focusing on sex rather than storyline. That takes my interest away from that particular genre.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Hyakushiki

There are Hentai games that are just about sex and little else, however eroge games like this one that play more like a interactive novel where your are the lead character, you make decisions that affect the outcome of the story. Sex plays a part in the experience but stories are usually written so the gameplay works ever if you leave the sex scenes out, which is why they also make non-hentai versions of these games too.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
VR7

Eroge is usually stereotypically associated with pr0n, and it's easy to see why considering the number of really bad and filthy looking (not just dirty, I actually mean the shoddy artwork and mind-boggling scripts) eroges.

Eroge such as Utawarerumono, Fate/stay night, etc., put a stronger emphasis on gameplay, storyline, and art quality (thank god) over sex, to the point where hentai can even be omitted completely without any consequence. These games also tend to be adapted into anime, manga, etc., that contain no hentai, which is a difference with some of the more ridiculous hentai games which always get adapted into assorted hentai merchandise.

RPGs and sRPGs aren't the only genre. I've seen a 2D mech shooter that was originally eroge, ported to the Dreamcast with all the hentai removed. The name escapes me though.

Gameplay shot from Utawarerumono, Mission 2. Such a very simple way of beating Mutikapa, though many Bothans died repeatedly to get to this point.
-noel
AU_Gundam MK II

Thank you for clearing things up. I've always had a bad impression on Hentai games to the point of trying my best to avoid them completely.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
quasadra

well i have played my fair share of hentai game, sort of. since i often play them on the PS2 that has all the sex part cut out. from my experince these games are not all that great, i consider them as fanservice to milk out every single drop of cash they can possibly get. i dont care they focus on art or story, the fact is there are better game to play than these. thats just my take on this anyways.

i believe that shooter in question is called Baldr Force. there are name slightly diffrently for every platform they ported.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
VR7

bumpy

A voice patch was released for the PC version of Utawarerumono, which enables voiceovers from the PS2 version of the game. I just tested it and it works nicely, though there's no volume control for voiceovers, and some dialogue is skipped over. It also doesn't look like combat voiceovers work.

Note that because of the time the PC version was made, it will require data from the PS2 version of the game. (Again, I recommend looking up a place like Play-Asia.com or something.) Because of this, ero scenes obviously won't have voiceovers, since the PS2 version of the game didn't have them.
-noel