PS3 region question

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
quasadra

PS3 region question

how do you know which region a PS3 and its game belong. i see a little globe in some of the games and PS3 showing a number, is that it?
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
volrath77

Correct. The logo (small rounded edge square containing a half wireframe globe and a letter or number beside it) is usually found on the spine of the cover/plastic case. The letter or number corresponds as follows:

A or 1 = North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Southeast Asia.

B or 2 = Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.

C or 3 = India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central, and South Asia.

However, as for PS3 games, you don't need to worry about region coding since all PS3 games will run regardless of where you buy the PS3 since that is pretty much Sony's intent with PS3 in gaming. The region lock will matter when it comes to movies but it seems to me that movie studios haven't really implemented coding for many of their movies released on BD.

Similarly, most if not all titles releases I've encountered have multi-language option. So, if you encounter a game you want but with, say a non-English language cover, don't dismiss it outright. Check with the vendor whether the game has multi-language option and chances are, it might have one.
Last edited by volrath77 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluemax151

Be aware though that while it is not Sony's intent to region code any games the feature is still available to publishers/developers so it is theoretically possible that some games could still do so.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
volrath77

It is theoretically possible but as to date, most highly unlikely since I have yet to encounter any pirated PS3 games due to the DRM employed by BD. OTOH, I have encountered pirated XBox & XBox 360 games by the dozens so between Sony and Microsoft, it is the latter that is the most likely to region code its games.
quasadra

thanks, now that this have been made clear. i can go and get my PS3 at last :lol:. the money here involve a whole year of saving, i just had to make sure. the game im looking out for is Armored Core 4.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Soran

The region coding only becomes important for those games with multiplayer components, as different region coding might connect to different servers...
volrath77

Unfortunately, I don't play multiplayer so I've no way of verifying that.