Gears of War Discussion Thread

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Folken Fanel

Gears of War Discussion Thread

After getting a copy of Gears for Christmas and spending six hours playing co-op with my bro, I've decided to go ahead and make a thread for this game. Let me kick things off by saying, "Damn this game is hard!"

Between the durable grunt enemies, clunky cover system, and a dumb brother, I haven't been able to get past the factory level yet. I love a challenge, but this game gets ridiculous. The crossfires you get into are vicious for a Halo child like me, and the special enemies(Wretches, Berserkers, etc.) freak me out. Not that fighting the Locust horde is hard, but there are some moments that make you jump.

So, any comments, tips, reviews, or flames?

(I apologize if this thread has been done before. If it has, go ahead and lock this one if the powers that be see fit.)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
SNT1

Factory Level.... assuming act 3, the one with the Lambent Wretches (lil' bastids that glow in the dark)?

Shotgun. This weapon is amazing for exterminating those wretches by just blindfiring.

Speaking of blindfiring, I put a tape right in the middle of my TV, just so I can fire without pressing the aim button, while still having a crosshair.

Also, it's best to have a Longshot (sniper rifle); head shots are handy, for one player, I always carry a Lancer/Hammerburst and a Longshot. I'll handle it to the other PCs to spray with lancers, I'll just take the Lockon role. Heck, even then, I replace my machine gun occasionally with a Boomshot or a Torque Bow (availaible past the factory)

If your brother knows nothing more than to spam with bullets, you can have him carry a lancer and a hammerburst; while you take care of the advanced goodies---Sniper and Boomshot/Torque. My setup with my sister is: Sniper/Boom or Torque (me), Hammerburst/Sniper (my sis). Can plow up to the last level in insane mode. (It's a testament of how good the Longshot is)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Scyron

I used melee for pistol on them, usually killed em in one hit and maybe 4 bullets, so it wasn't hard to keep distance.

After playing some multiplayer I can tell I lost all my skill I claimed to have :(

I think playing solo insane is like torturous, but hella fun if you can do it.
Blade of the Red Comet

I agree with everything SNT1 said above except you'll NEED the shotty and Lancer for the traincar run, as that can be an absolute B*#^% without them. Also, since you fight a majority of lambent wretches on Act 3, you might want to discard the sniper and grab a shotty ASAP and dont lose it until later in the level when you reunite with the rest of your crew and fight the Boomers. With Gears, they tend to give you the weapons your gonna need for a fight right before the showdown.

Another tip, for killing Locust is to shoot for the knees...it'll drop em quick for a curbstomp or an easy ranged lancer finish.
Toxicity

Beating RAAM by yourself on insane is impossible. If you're playing on casual and think things like the lambent wretches and the Berserker are impossible, you dont stand a chance in hardcore or insane.
SNT1

If you're looking for thrills, grenade tag a Boomer or a Berseker (after hitting it with Hammer of Dawn).

Also, if you want to try your hand at online playing, practice with a Shotgun without using the aim button; as it is the de facto weapon of choice in multiplayer.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Blade of the Red Comet

Its possible to beat Ram on insane but you need a full load of sniper and torque ammo....possible but near impossible. I've never done it but I have a buddy who swears he did it.
Also, if you venture into multiplayer, the shotty is the weapon of choice and also the cheapest...beware the infamous "host shotty."
mcred23

Blade of the Red Comet wrote:possible but near impossible.
That's sums it up very well. I've beat RAAM on Insane by myself a total of four times, out of who knows how many attempts (I once spent nearly five hours trying to beat him with no luck, another time I spent over three hours before I finally got him with the minigun). If timed correctly, along with a lot of luck and the use of some explosive weapons, you can get to that minigun and kill him with that... but that means no achievement for you. I did kill him once on Insane without going to the minigun, using a mix of grenades, a torque bow and a Lancer, but it took a number of tries to get him and I haven't tried it again in a while (Since I haven't been playing Gears Of War much lately).

Like you said, it's possible to do, but damn near impossible. Prepare to play that part of the mission many times and to get really frustrated, but it can happen.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Folken Fanel

Toxicity wrote:Beating RAAM by yourself on insane is impossible. If you're playing on casual and think things like the lambent wretches and the Berserker are impossible, you dont stand a chance in hardcore or insane.
I never said they were impossible. The lambent wretches are just annoying. Berserkers are fun. :P

Anywho, I beat the game today. RAAM's not near as hard as I was expecting him to be, but I used the mingun, so yeah. I'm planning on attempting Hardcore and Insane, but my Elite needs time to cool off.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
Recon 5

Well, I personally haven't played Gears of War myself, but I've seen some videos on Youtube about players getting Insane level RAAM to stupidly trap himself behind one of the crates, after which they could nail him with that whatever- its- called machinegun (blind firing from the opposite side of the same crate, too) until the big guy went down. If thats not exploiting a glitch I don't know what is.
Blade of the Red Comet

mcred23 wrote:If timed correctly, along with a lot of luck and the use of some explosive weapons, you can get to that minigun and kill him with that...
Whaaa?? Every time I tried to get to that minigun I get pwned by the Krill. How do you get up there without getting killed?
Albireo_818

Blade of the Red Comet wrote:
mcred23 wrote:If timed correctly, along with a lot of luck and the use of some explosive weapons, you can get to that minigun and kill him with that...
Whaaa?? Every time I tried to get to that minigun I get pwned by the Krill. How do you get up there without getting killed?
You have to scare them away wit a sniper or w/e.

oh and my wep of choice is the Boltok
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
mcred23

Blade of the Red Comet wrote: Whaaa?? Every time I tried to get to that minigun I get pwned by the Krill. How do you get up there without getting killed?
I'd toss a grenade or quickly fire a torque bow (As those are the explosive weapons I, and most others, usually have on hand) at him to scare the kryll away and roadie-run toward whatever lighted spot I can that gets me closer to the minigun. I would try to get RAAM as away from the gun as I can (In other words, close to where you start) before I get moving, but still close enough so that my explosion keeps the kryll scattered for long enough for me to make it to the gun.

But like I said before, I've failed at this a hell of a lot more times than it works, but it can work if everything goes perfectly right, even things you can't really control (Like, for example, when Dom goes down, as he can be useful for drawing off RAAM or the kryll for crucial seconds).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Blade of the Red Comet

^^ Nice, thanks. I'll have to give that a try. I've always just loaded up on torque and sniper ammo in the room before Raam and then active pwned him at range then hit him with all my nades when he gets close. Pretty sure a full load is enough to kill him even on Insane difficulty.