Super Robot Wars: OG Mk III

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Homeless

Banpresto felt the need to top themselves again.

Spoilers, final boss in video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czoxw1OdmyE

Your visual confirmation, DG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8GefmzFCuA
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Kuruni

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I would like it if it turned out Shu was the one pulling the strings behind everything, but seeing as how the main enemies in OGG are The Shura and Duminass, that's not going to be the case.
I have feeling that it's Duminas who pulling string (most likely got backstab near the end, just like how Galfa(sp?) attack her in R). Make more sense than Alkait, who's more brown than brain (unless they plan to have Misaru live to the end, but that's weird). But Shu kill her in the end and turn Granzon to Neo Granzon (just like how he suddenly turn enemy after Lond Bell beat Diskastes). Note that it's similar to Alpha Gaiden, he return after Preventer finish Augelmir. He not really manupulate anyone, just wait for right moment.

Seriously, I hope they really tell us more for what Duminass is. All we known is that she's relate to human, created by unknown being.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Destiny_Gundam

Homeless wrote:Your visual confirmation, DG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8GefmzFCuA
I still think it's a waste. Oh well, I just hope he puts up one hell of a fight. If it's one thing about Shu, he's awesome in whatever he does, even dying.
Kuruni wrote:Seriously, I hope they really tell us more for what Duminass is. All we known is that she's relate to human, created by unknown being.
I heard they hinted that Elde (from MX) created her as part of the AI1 project.

So Shu aside, who is the normal final boss? I heard it was Duminas merged with an Einst Regussier, but the video Homeless linked us to has Dark Brain.

Speaking of, what's his deal? All I know is that he was Fighter Roa's nemesis from the Great Battle games.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZ9crz_ikA
If you pause it when it shows the map, it shows the Vaisaga there. I heard Lamia doesn't come back, so who's piloting it?

EDIT2: Excellence Eternal all attacks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDssW0d2SEo
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Meh, with all the stuff they added to OG Gaiden I can live without Lamia
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Wingnut

How about Latooni?
She's been taking lessons from Ryusei.

Remember the fight with Cobray and Ingram at the begining of Divine Wars? This is better.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Wingnut wrote: Remember the fight with Cobray and Ingram at the begining of Divine Wars? This is better.
Dose that actually happen in the game, or is that something done up in free battle?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Homeless

In regards to the final boss, this is what I'm hearing:

Dark Brain is behind everything. He's searching for the 12 Keys to open the path to the "Highest Heaven". He created Duminas, who is apparently only one of a series (Apparently this particular one is number 3), to facilitate his goals. In his search Dark Brain has attacked countless worlds, and what the EFF calls "Swordian" is one of fivel crafts used by civilizations to escape him. Apparently three have been destroyed, while the other one is suggested to be the one that appeared in Scramble Commander. Too bad for the Shura that Mizal was working for Duminas to further his schemes anyway.

I'm up to Stage 25, but as such I cannot confirm much of what is being said there just yet.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Destiny_Gundam

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Meh, with all the stuff they added to OG Gaiden I can live without Lamia
Frankly the only stuff from OG Gaiden that interest me is Neo Granzon and the MX originals. And I guess Compatible Kaiser's new stuff. Obari FTW.

My lack of interest is probably due to the fact that all this stuff is totally new to me. I've played both OG1 and OG2 and watched the OVA, so when OGs came out, it had the awesomeness of being able to see all the characters and mechs I've come to love completely revamped with new graphics. I know next to nothing about Compact 3 or Great Battle, so it all means nothing to me. I can't be drawn in by just watching videos and hearsay, I need to play it myself and immerse myself in the story. Sadly I'll never be able to do this unless it's released in english.
Homeless

It does indeed pay off to be a C3 and/or GB fan.

*Returns to smashing stuff with fully upgraded CompachiKaiser and Ialdabaoth*
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:Meh, with all the stuff they added to OG Gaiden I can live without Lamia
Frankly the only stuff from OG Gaiden that interest me is Neo Granzon and the MX originals. And I guess Compatible Kaiser's new stuff. Obari FTW.

My lack of interest is probably due to the fact that all this stuff is totally new to me. I've played both OG1 and OG2 and watched the OVA, so when OGs came out, it had the awesomeness of being able to see all the characters and mechs I've come to love completely revamped with new graphics. I know next to nothing about Compact 3 or Great Battle, so it all means nothing to me. I can't be drawn in by just watching videos and hearsay, I need to play it myself and immerse myself in the story. Sadly I'll never be able to do this unless it's released in english.
I know what you mean.
Granted there isn't much story in the Great Battle to begin with, so Roa and co. are there mostly for show. For all the hype I hear about the Compact 3 people, they also draw no intrest at all, plus their machines seem more suited for a LOTE setting where magic is somewhat normal than the more real robot styled OG universe. Wiki really tells me all I need to know about the basics of what is going on with the R cast so that's kinda interesting.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Imperial

For all the hype I hear about the Compact 3 people, they also draw no intrest at all, plus their machines seem more suited for a LOTE setting where magic is somewhat normal than the more real robot styled OG universe.
RKO and KRO are every bit as magical as the Shura-bots, yet everyone eats them up and asks for more. SoulGain's life-fueled power source is fairly out there, too. The Einst brood's whimsical space-bending ways cross the line into the surreal just as easily. Shadow Mirror, with all of its universe-hopping and evil twins, reeks of a bad Star Trek plot.

Don't even get me started on the absurdity of a giant robot becoming a giant horse.

Is Compact 3 really so guilty?
This space for rent
Kuruni

Gamefaqs just has Compact 3 story guide up, I just take a look and it's quite interesting. Yes, the Shurajin work by absorb life force, just like Soulgain.

The real deal back then is that C3 is dated when compare to D, which release shortly after that (and cause me to jump off chair while playing). Several of Shurajin also ridiculous silly.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Homeless

G Compatible Kaiser (all attacks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTa-ZbkOp_w
Destiny_Gundam

Homeless wrote:G Compatible Kaiser (all attacks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTa-ZbkOp_w
Now it uses a true Dangaioh Spiral Knuckle. Also, I can't help but think "Super Heavyweight Flame Emperor Slash" when I see the sword attack.

Now, once we get an all attacks vid of Neo Granzon I'll have pretty much gotten everything I wanted out of Gaiden.
Sulendil Zeta

I don't know, Destiny_Gundam, but I don't want to put too much expectation for the Neo Granzon attack vid. Most of the Neo Granzon's attack are already available in its original form (ie Granworm Sword, Worm Smasher, Black Hole Cluster, Gravitron Cannon) so I don't expect too much difference from those attacks animation.

However, there are TWO new attacks for Neo Granzon, Anti-Regression Cannon (which we already had the vid) and Big Bang Wave. Hope Big Bang Wave attack is in this game. :)

And of course, I agree with you about Shuu. He is simply awesome.

PS: Talking about Granzon, one thing I always heard about recently is about the argument of Granzon being Real or Super. What's the reason people think Granzon is a Real, anyway? Just curious.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, still. It's about seeing those attacks in Neo Granzon form while Dark Prison is playing in the background.

Granzon is classified as a Super Robot merely because of it's overwhelming power. Technically it is a Real Robot, as it was created by engineers as a weapon for war, using advanced technology and rolled off a production line. There aren't really any actual Super Robots in the OGverse aside from Compatible Kaiser and Ryukooh and Koryuoh (and Cybuster by a stretch) anyways.

Neo Granzon though is undisputably a Super Robot, as it's powered up by an evil god.

EDIT: So Lamia DOES come back.

Damn trolls.
Wingnut

Imperial wrote:
For all the hype I hear about the Compact 3 people, they also draw no intrest at all, plus their machines seem more suited for a LOTE setting where magic is somewhat normal than the more real robot styled OG universe.
RKO and KRO are every bit as magical as the Shura-bots, yet everyone eats them up and asks for more. SoulGain's life-fueled power source is fairly out there, too. The Einst brood's whimsical space-bending ways cross the line into the surreal just as easily. Shadow Mirror, with all of its universe-hopping and evil twins, reeks of a bad Star Trek plot.

Don't even get me started on the absurdity of a giant robot becoming a giant horse.

Is Compact 3 really so guilty?
Yes. The Einst are an alien bad-guy type race, so you expect some level of weirdness from that. Shadow Mirror is also an irrelevant point as dimension jumping has been a part of SRW from the second game in the franchise. The horse is a bit hard to figure out what goes where on, but it's still nothing more than a complex transformation sequence that's no different in practice than the Zeta going from MS to waverider mode.
RKO and KRO also absorbed a Grungust along the way so while their origins are mythical, they are still somewhat grounded in the rest of the OG universe thanks to the Grungust. They often push the limit with several attacks, but never really go all that far over the line when they do. The Compact 3 units go over that line even with their low end attacks.
As for the Soulgain, from what I just read on wiki (which is a fairly accurate source for SRW stuff, unlike Gundam) the technology for it sounds not all that different than the Zeta and Double Zeta's biosensor. One piece of exotic technology integrated into an otherwise normal machine.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Imperial

Yes. The Einst are an alien bad-guy type race, so you expect some level of weirdness from that.
Sure, I expect them to be weird. That doesn't excuse them violating laws of physics.
Shadow Mirror is also an irrelevant point as dimension jumping has been a part of SRW from the second game in the franchise.
That doesn't really address the issue.

You seem to be of the opinion that OG is more RR-styled. Those early games were full of Super-bots and technologies and the like. Using those decidedly non-Real ideas in a supposedly Real setting contradicts you a bit.
The horse is a bit hard to figure out what goes where on, but it's still nothing more than a complex transformation sequence that's no different in practice than the Zeta going from MS to waverider mode.
But it's so goofy and impractical!
RKO and KRO also absorbed a Grungust along the way so while their origins are mythical, they are still somewhat grounded in the rest of the OG universe thanks to the Grungust. They often push the limit with several attacks, but never really go all that far over the line when they do.

They're a pair of mythical, magically-empowered creatures (they're powered by talismans and holy water, IIRC) created to serve a god-like being. They'll also erode the soul of any non-Psychodriver pilot. They'll swallow your soul in the most literal sense of the word.

And let's not forget that they're essentially possessing the Grungust Type III the way a ghost would allegedly possess a human. One could even make an argument that they are to GunEden as angels and valkyries are to certain gods--their agenst on Earth. Making a snack out of a Grungust doesn't excuse their metaphysical zaniness. If anything, it makes them more outlandish, as they must inhabit a robot to tether their other-worldly essence to our realm.

Besides, they can throw a mountain at anyone they don't like. A bloody mountain!
As for the Soulgain, from what I just read on wiki (which is a fairly accurate source for SRW stuff, unlike Gundam) the technology for it sounds not all that different than the Zeta and Double Zeta's biosensor. One piece of exotic technology integrated into an otherwise normal machine.
I still maintain that the bionsensor is one of the most ridiculous things to have ever come out of the UC calendar. It's a blatantly gratuitous piece of Super Robot technology in what has been praised as the pinnacle of the Real Robot genre. It never should have been.

My raging biosensor-hate aside, the Soulgain mechanism makes no sense. Something that's killing you shouldn't allow you to perform superhuman feats of agility and speed. Imagine how strange it would be to become Superman by swallowing lethal amounts of arsenic. Life doesn't really work that way, does it? The Soulgain quirk is just as absurd as the biosensors, but it's okay because it's a Super Robot. They don't have to bother with little things like logic and common sense.

OG has been wonderfully inane and nonsensical plenty of times. The name of the series is Super Robot Wars. I don't see why everyone tries so hard to pin the "Real" title on it.
This space for rent
Destiny_Gundam

You do have some good points, but the fact remains that at its core, the Original Generations games follow more real robot 'laws'. Most of the mechs are produced for war by organizations. The mechs themselves may be classified as Super Robots, but they're mostly just really powerful real types. Some are certainly 'honorary' super robots.

The enemies they face don't consistute what kind of genre it is either. Look at Macross. They fight giant alien space monsters, but it's still a real robot show. Transversely, Dancouga is a Super Robot, yet the show itself plays out like a real robot show.

The OG games are 'real' at its base. All the other cookey, 'super' elements are there because it was never meant to be restricted to just being 'real.'

Maybe we should just say it's an 'awesome' type.
Homeless

I think the whole argument is silly; SRW (Including OGverse) is supposed to be fantastic and over-the-top, and features all sorts of machines, from the mundane to mystical. Singling certain ones out on shaky criteria (Dimensional manipulation and/or traversing makes Shadow Mirror and the Einst ok, but not the Shura?) or on their attack animations (They're supposed to look cool, not be 100% canon representation of anything. Otherwise SRX could just shoot every single enemy into the sun and be done with it) is nitpicking, and going against the spirit of the franchise; to have fun.

On another note, I'm on stage 32 now. G-Compatible Kaiser has a whopping 165 mobility fully upgraded, while Apotheosized Ialdabaoth has 200. Overkaiser Sword and Shinha Mougeki Reppa max out at 8100 ans 8250 respectively.