Dad Puts Video Game Title On eBay As Lesson To Son

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Aegis wrote:
Shinji103 wrote:That is, of course, assuming he does this repeatedly. And I'm sure that "lung cancer doesn't make for a happy Christmas season either" applies to every single other human being on the planet who smokes.
And the fact that the kid was found smoking the stuff with two of his friends casually like an experienced pro screams repeated use. There's no excuse for what the son did; regardless of the legality of the drug in general (which is, in fact, constantly changing and is STILL viewed by police as being illegal regardless of the bills passed), he was too young to smoke and he did so on his father's property. Really, the father could've gone the more violent route, and THAT would be overreacting.

As far as the method of discipline goes, deny the son his gift AND humiliate him at the same time. GENIUS. 8)
"Screams" repeated use? Well there's an exaggeration. I know plenty of people who have smoked casually with friends who have only done so once. Is this hard to believe or something?

"Genius," eh? Hah. Right.

The mere fact that this guy put the item on Ebay, instead of simply returning the game at the store where he bought it, is rather questionable.

But my words are most likely falling on deaf ears, as things like this are just excused as "adult >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> kid" regardless of the circumstances, unless it involves physical violence or some other kind of serious crime. Oh, and deliberately humiliating your kid is NOT being a good parent btw. And before anybody bothers to say an arrest would be humiliating, he's obviously NOT under arrest, so that's a completely moot point in this particular matter.
Fritz Ashlyn

Shinji103 wrote:But my words are most likely falling on deaf ears, as things like this are just excused as "adult >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> kid" regardless of the circumstances, unless it involves physical violence.
Actually, in this case it's more like "concerned parent >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> potential pothead delinquent layabout".
Shinji103 wrote:Oh, and deliberately humiliating your kid is NOT being a good parent. And before anybody bothers to say an arrest would be humiliating, he's obviously NOT under arrest, so that's a completely moot point in this particular matter.

The mere fact that this guy put the item on Ebay, instead of simple returning the game to the store where he bought it for a refund, is rather questionable.
The thing is, he did it on eBay in an almost anonymous manner. His exact location (other than 'Greater Toronto area, Canada') isn't given, and from what I've read, only his son's first name is mentioned. It's not like he's made the newest hit website shouting from the rooftops that his son, ISAAC INSERTNAMEHERE is a good-for-nothing dope head.

Time to use my psychology minor-in-progress to talk out of my ass. Go-Go-Gadget Psych 101!

This isn't so much about humiliating him as it is about using 'negative punishment'; that is, taking away something his son wants when he does something bad. It's one of the most common ways to punish your kid. Aversive control isn't as effective as positive reinforcement, but the 'negative punishment' of taking his game away to discourage drug use is much better than the alternative 'positive punishment' of, say, a beating.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Aegis

Shinji103 wrote:"Screams" repeated use? Well there's an exaggeration. I know plenty of people who have smoked casually with friends who have only done so once. Is this hard to believe or something?
And somehow doing it only once is supposed to make it all better? Especially since you're not even supposed to do it at all? He decided to smoke the stuff in his father's backyard, did so very willingly, and got caught red handed.
"Genius," eh? Hah. Right.
It's a new twist to denying the child the thing he wants, and he did so without the usual yelling and screaming and slapping and beating. Certainly alot better than doing absolutely, positively nothing, and much better than the typical droning. AND he's made money off of it to boot. So, yes, I consider that genius.
Kuruni

About why he not just return it to store, it doesn't as effective. What would happen if he done that is, when Chrismas come, he would tell kid there is no present for him, no direct experience invove the kid.

As I said, now the kid can see his present fy away with his own eyes and that has much more impact. Heck, I don't see he humiliate his son at all. Chrismas present is award for good bahavior anyway, so the kid loss nothing (though he would feel like he loss it, just like when you sell stock and see its value skyrocket :D ).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Outlaw

As long as the kid gets at least one present for the holidays I don't see the father as being too harsh.
Horray for the lost art of parenting!
Vash

Now that I earn my own money and can buy myself whatever the hell I want, I have lost all sympathy for kids who dont get what they want for christmas. Save your own damn money and buy it yourself, twats. And at the same time I think the dad is a jerk. I dislike both parties involved.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
DAG101

wing zero alpha wrote:I also don't think the dad was a jerk, assuming this is all for real of course. For one, I don't know how old you're supposed to be to smoke pot in Canada, if at all (could a local verify this?) but the kid is fifteen years old, and I highly doubt that's the legal age to be smoking pot.
As far as I know, pot's still illegal up here (either that, or I've been missing out :lol:
Nimrod

DAG101 wrote:
wing zero alpha wrote:I also don't think the dad was a jerk, assuming this is all for real of course. For one, I don't know how old you're supposed to be to smoke pot in Canada, if at all (could a local verify this?) but the kid is fifteen years old, and I highly doubt that's the legal age to be smoking pot.
As far as I know, pot's still illegal up here (either that, or I've been missing out :lol:
As I said before It's been decriminalized (pretty much left up to the police officer as to what to do) for small amounts or in the case of medical useage it's legal.
wing zero alpha

Nimrod wrote:As I said before It's been decriminalized (pretty much left up to the police officer as to what to do) for small amounts or in the case of medical useage it's legal.
But as Aegis said, the subject matter is still shifting and the Canadian Police still consider it illegal anyway.
Nimrod

wing zero alpha wrote:
Nimrod wrote:As I said before It's been decriminalized (pretty much left up to the police officer as to what to do) for small amounts or in the case of medical useage it's legal.
But as Aegis said, the subject matter is still shifting and the Canadian Police still consider it illegal anyway.
You know I had a whole post typed up pointing out what is wrong with your post (a sweeping generalization comes to mind but I digress) but I'm not going to bother with it because I've realized no matter what I post you're just going to disagree with me and take the "I'm right and you're wrong" stance and we're going to keep up this dance and derail this thread even further until I get fed up and use an insulting remark and a mod sweeps in to save the day and lock this thread. So let's go back to agreeing to disagreeing and move on.

To be honest, I'm shocked some of the more "trigger happy" mods around here haven't killed this thread already.
Chris
Administrator

Ahh... I should've known you all would take this thread out of control. There's not much more to discuss about this story (if it even counts as news), and this forum certainly isn't the place to discuss the implications of Canadian marijuana law. You all should know better.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his