Dad Puts Video Game Title On eBay As Lesson To Son

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Nimrod

Dad Puts Video Game Title On eBay As Lesson To Son

I just couldn't stop laughing at this one:
He bought his son the one thing he wanted for Christmas, then used it to teach him an expensive lesson. And now a Canadian elementary school teacher has become the talk of the Internet, after his actions earned him more than $9,100 and international attention.....

...."I had finally got the Holy Grail of Xmas presents pretty much just in the nick of time. I couldn't wait to spread the jubilance to my son," the father, writing as "k_lid", noted in what turned out to be a lengthy series of posts on the site. "Then, yesterday, I came home from work early and what do I find? My innocent little boy smoking pot in the backyard with two of his delinquent friends."

So the outraged dad took the game and put it - and his story - up for sale around the world.

"As of the time of me writing this, he does not know I got him Guitar Hero 3," he continues. "I will show him the auction once it is posted and we can watch it finish together. Sort of a "Father-Son bonding experience." While I doubt this will keep him from ever smoking pot again, I think it will make him think twice before doing illegal (well I think pot is still illegal in Canada) drugs on my property."...
You can read the full story here: http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_17769.aspx

I have to laugh at the kid for being a dolt and getting caught and for also taking the chance knowing what a jerk his dad would be about it and at the same time I think the dad is being a jerk over this. Oh yea...the Dad should also get his facts straight about the legality of pot in Canada instead of being a self-righteous jerk over it. (I'm not trying to start a political argument over it so don't try to derail or go running to an mod/admin claiming I am).

How's that for a split view. ;) :P
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Not sure what's funnier, the story or the fact that someone ACTUALLY paid $9,100 for it
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Fritz Ashlyn

Re: Dad Puts Video Game Title On eBay As Lesson To Son

Nimrod wrote:I have to laugh at the kid for being a dolt and getting caught and for also taking the chance knowing what a jerk his dad would be about it and at the same time I think the dad is being a jerk over this. Oh yea...the Dad should also get his facts straight about the legality of pot in Canada instead of being a self-righteous jerk over it.
Well, the legality of drugs in Canada aside, I know you have to be 18 to smoke cigarettes there anyway. I don't think the father is being a jerk for wanting to teach his son a lesson about drug use, and netting $9000 in the process won't hurt. If he wanted to be a jerk, he would have gotten rid of the game and wasted his time yelling at his son followed by a grounding or something stupid and unproductive.

Like Yuusha said, I'm more interested in why the buyer was willing to pay that much. I guess they really liked the approach old dad took to the problem.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Folken Fanel

Well in my opinion, the dumbass kid got what he deserved. This guy looks like a stern-but-fair kind of dad, which is the best kind. I'd do the same thing if I found my kid smoking pot. Although, I kinda wonder who the pathetic idiot is that bought the game for that much money...
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I'm with Nimrod about the dad being a jerk. So much for their happy Christmas. Sure the kid smoking pot already made it bad, but it wasn't a permamnent problem. The dad selling the game like that will definitely not help the Christmas season be happy for them. Although I don't think the kid expected his dad would do something like that. It's not exactly easy for somebody to see that coming if they get caught.
Kuruni

I don't think the dad is jerk. I don't see him selling mere game, he selling game that suppose to be his son's present. It worth much more than what he spend (but whoever pay $9,100 is true idiot). Heck, I bet he's hurt badly when put it on auction. Who care about this year's happy chrismas if your kid may ruin his life?

I don't known about that kid, but if such thing happen to me I would cry and apologize.
My girlfriend was a loli.
wing zero alpha

I also don't think the dad was a jerk, assuming this is all for real of course. For one, I don't know how old you're supposed to be to smoke pot in Canada, if at all (could a local verify this?) but the kid is fifteen years old, and I highly doubt that's the legal age to be smoking pot.

Besides, having worked in teen shelters with recovering drug users and smokers (several were even younger than this kid), as well as having a grandfather still living with the after effects of regular smoking even though he's long since quit, I can honestly say I've seen what effects smoking pot or otherwise can do to your body. It isn't pretty and it sure as hell isn't healthy, and if it weren't for the idea that "smoking is cool" I highly doubt many people would be doing it. That said, the dad did exactly what any parent should do and that is nip the problem in the bud or at least attempt to. Chances are the kid won't quit until he's stuck in rehab with some lung or brain condition (as with many of the kids I worked with), but at least with the parent(s) involved there is at least some probability.

As for the father's methods, taking away what your child actually wants the most is actually one of the most effective types of punishment. For example, when one of my younger relatives was caught shoplifting Yu-Gi-Oh cards, his mother actually burned his whole deck right in front of him once they returned home. That plus the fact he was almost arrested made him stop stealing permanently. That said, the dad selling his son's would've-been Christmas present, for $9,100 no less, will definitely get the point across and it'll at least stop the kid from smoking at home.

Now, for the guy that bought it for that much money: just what the hell? Wouldn't that money be put to better use for buying a car or something?
Celestial Gundam

Poor kid, well, not really for he deserved it. I just love the thought of the dad showing his son the auction and saying "This here son was your only Christmas present. Now, it's making me more money that I even payed for it so I can buy myself a non-pot smoking son."

Ok, I did add the last part as something I would say. But still, very funny.
ZGMF-X291A Celestial Gundam
Nimrod

I guess I'm just too cynical and I see the Dad trying to make himself look good or cover his own butt especially since the Dad is an elementary school teacher. Add on to the fact that there's a whole lot worse the kid could have done other than smoking a joint. Oh well.

Question - Is Guitar Hero III for the Wii really that hard to find?
wing zero alpha

Shinji103 wrote:I'm with Nimrod about the dad being a jerk. So much for their happy Christmas. Sure the kid smoking pot already made it bad, but it wasn't a permamnent problem. The dad selling the game like that will definitely not help the Christmas season be happy for them. Although I don't think the kid expected his dad would do something like that. It's not exactly easy for somebody to see that coming if they get caught.
Lung cancer doesn't make for a happy Christmas season either.
Nimrod wrote:I guess I'm just too cynical and I see the Dad trying to make himself look good or cover his own butt especially since the Dad is an elementary school teacher. Add on to the fact that there's a whole lot worse the kid could have done other than smoking a joint. Oh well.
Out of curiosity, how is the dad covering his own ass? Unless he's a pot smoker himself and thus a hypocrite, I don't understand what you mean.

And yes, there is a lot worse the kid could have done than smoking a joint, and at the same time there is a lot worse the dad could have done than selling his Christmas present, but that doesn't make the kid any more vindicated of his crime. Breaking the law, no matter how minor, is still breaking the law, and last I checked underage smoking is still a punishable crime if reported in most countries.
Question - Is Guitar Hero III for the Wii really that hard to find?
Seems to be. It's been sold out at the three Best Buys and two Gamestops I frequent to for my video game supply for a while now, likely due to the holiday rush. But then seeing how ebay works, the dad's explanation might have increased the value of the item dramatically (how many video games have you bought made a kid stop smoking in the house?).
Nimrod

wing zero alpha wrote: Out of curiosity, how is the dad covering his own ass? Unless he's a pot smoker himself and thus a hypocrite, I don't understand what you mean.
By the fact that the dad is a school teacher and thus is over-reacting so he doesn't get criticized or questioned as to "how can you be a role model to our kids when you own kids does this" so in order to maintain said image he pulls a crazy stunt like that.

I know it seems odd but I do know people who are more worried about their image (and teachers tend to be high on that list) than the actual fact that their kid may or may not have done something and that's what it looks like here to me.
wing zero alpha wrote:And yes, there is a lot worse the kid could have done than smoking a joint, and at the same time there is a lot worse the dad could have done than selling his Christmas present, but that doesn't make the kid any more vindicated of his crime. Breaking a law, no matter how minor, is still breaking a law.
In Canada it's not a crime to smoke a joint. Medical Marijuana is legal and for the amounts that are used to smoke it's been decriminalized so the kid would get yelled at but it's not really breaking the law. It's one of those grey area/politics things so I think it should be left at that since politics are avoided here.

the point is the kid is not really breaking law though since we don't really know his age (I don't recall seeing it given) it could be a bad thing.
wing zero alpha wrote:Seems to be. It's been sold out at the three Best Buys and two Gamestops I frequent to for my video game supply for a while now. But then seeing how ebay works, the dad's explanation might have increased the value of the item dramatically (how many video games have you bought made a kid stop smoking in the house?).
Thank you for that.

Also, there is a chance that the dad could have also asked some friends to make "fake bids" in order to force the amount up in the auction to help try and prove the point to the kid.
wing zero alpha

Nimrod wrote:By the fact that the dad is a school teacher and thus is over-reacting so he doesn't get criticized or questioned as to "how can you be a role model to our kids when you own kids does this" so in order to maintain said image he pulls a crazy stunt like that.
Wow, talk about bad stereotyping. Nimrod, unless this guy works at a private devoutly religious school, I guarantee whatever school the dad is working at will not hold him accountable because his kid smokes. In fact, public schools usually don't give a damn about anything students do short of rape and bringing a gun to the grounds. As well, there's the fact that the alleged crime took place at the man's home rather than a public place like a park or a shopping, so in all likelihood if the father was a real jerk, he could have flat out ignored it (which I've known parents to do) and nobody would ever have found out.
I know it seems odd but I do know people who are more worried about their image than the actual fact that their kid may or may not have done something and that's what it looks like here to me.
Don't get me wrong, I know what you mean Nimrod. I used to go to school with teachers and faculty just like that. But this guy doesn't come across me as such; if he was truly worried about his image more than his kid, he wouldn't have put the story up on the internet. At the very least he would have kept the incident a secret until the kid got caught by someone else like a policeman, and only then would he dish out some form of punishment (like grounding the kid, essentially a slap on the wrist) to make it look like he gives a damn; again something I've known quite a few parents to do.
In Canada it's not a crime to smoke a joint. Medical Marijuana is legal and for the amounts that are used to smoke it's been decriminalized so the kid would get yelled at but it's not really breaking the law. It's one of those grey area/politics things so I think it should be left at that since politics are avoided here.
I know that Canadians are generally lenient when it comes to smoking pot, but I was mostly going on about how the kid is likely underage. Besides that, it still doesn't change the fact smoking is bad for you, especially at said age.

In America, there is no legal limit to how much alcohol you're allowed to consume, and until you attempt to drive yourself home or start a bar fight, you're not accountable. Does that mean you can drink all you want without any consequences? Hell no, you still have personal responsibility for your actions and the other actions they may cause, which is the point being made here.
the point is the kid is not really breaking law though since we don't really know his age (I don't recall seeing it given) it could be a bad thing.
Read the article again Nimrod, they gave the kid's age as fifteen years old, and even if marijuana is legal in Canada, I very much doubt they allow any age to smoke it.
Thank you for that.

Also, there is a chance that the dad could have also asked some friends to make "fake bids" in order to force the amount up in the auction to help try and prove the point to the kid.
And there is also a chance that this is all a government conspiricy by the United States with or without Canada's cooperation to pass an anti-smoking message to the general public, a la "Everytime you smoke, the terrorists win". So forgive me if I remain skeptical until it comes out as such Nimrod.
Nimrod

wing zero alpha wrote:
Read the article again Nimrod, they gave the kid's age as fifteen years old, and even if marijuana is legal in Canada, I very much doubt they allow any age to smoke it.
Ah, danke. I missed that. Then yea...it was wrong. If the kid was in the 17-19 range I would stand by the fact the dad over-reacted.

I still think he did but 15 year olds shouldn't be messing with that stuff.
wing zero alpha wrote: And there is also a chance that this is all a government conspiricy by the United States with or without Canada's cooperation to pass an anti-smoking message to the general public, a la "Everytime you smoke, the terrorists win". So forgive me if I remain skeptical until it comes out as such Nimrod.
Ok, don't start putting words in my mouth here. It's a well known fact that people do get their family and friends to help hike up the bid amount in ebay auctions when they're selling and since it seems crazy that someone would bid close to 9k for Guitar Hero III then that could be a possibility. That's all I was saying and meaning...a possibility.
wing zero alpha

Nimrod wrote:Ok, don't start putting words in my mouth here. It's a well known fact that people do get their family and friends to help hike up the bid amount in ebay auctions when they're selling and since it seems crazy that someone would bid close to 9k for Guitar Hero III then that could be a possibility. That's all I was saying and meaning...a possibility.
Possibilities only remain as such until proven otherwise, which is what I meant: don't make assumptions you don't have proof to beyond "it's happened before". Besides that, we live in a world where William Shatner can sell his kidney stone and somebody (GoldenPalace.com in this case) would buy it for $75,000 dollars, so I'm willing to believe people will buy anything at any price depending on certain variables.
Kyranik

Seeing as the same guy bid 12 times in a row from $277 to $9000, I doubt the validity of this auction.

Also, one of the bids was from $9000 -> $9000.01:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/im ... ousand.jpg
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

wing zero alpha wrote:
Shinji103 wrote:I'm with Nimrod about the dad being a jerk. So much for their happy Christmas. Sure the kid smoking pot already made it bad, but it wasn't a permamnent problem. The dad selling the game like that will definitely not help the Christmas season be happy for them. Although I don't think the kid expected his dad would do something like that. It's not exactly easy for somebody to see that coming if they get caught.
Lung cancer doesn't make for a happy Christmas season either.
That is, of course, assuming he does this repeatedly. And I'm sure that "lung cancer doesn't make for a happy Christmas season either" applies to every single other human being on the planet who smokes.
wing zero alpha

Shinji103 wrote:That is, of course, assuming he does this repeatedly. And I'm sure that "lung cancer doesn't make for a happy Christmas season either" applies to every single other human being on the planet who smokes.
Unless this is the first time he smoked and just took a puff, coughed and said "no more please", then chances are he's smoked before or he would have continued before his dad showed up. But I think I've done enough on this topic, so I'll back off. Peace.
Aegis

Shinji103 wrote:That is, of course, assuming he does this repeatedly. And I'm sure that "lung cancer doesn't make for a happy Christmas season either" applies to every single other human being on the planet who smokes.
And the fact that the kid was found smoking the stuff with two of his friends casually like an experienced pro screams repeated use. There's no excuse for what the son did; regardless of the legality of the drug in general (which is, in fact, constantly changing and is STILL viewed by police as being illegal regardless of the bills passed), he was too young to smoke and he did so on his father's property. Really, the father could've gone the more violent route, and THAT would be overreacting.

As far as the method of discipline goes, deny the son his gift AND humiliate him at the same time. GENIUS. 8)
Kuruni

Aegis wrote:As far as the method of discipline goes, deny the son his gift AND humiliate him at the same time. GENIUS. 8)
*NOD* I though of alternate method and none seem good as this. As he said, he can has his son sitting with him when the present goes to highest bidder. "Father-Son bonding experience", total agree. If the son is redeemable, I bet he will remember that very seconds for whole life.
My girlfriend was a loli.
AmuroNT1

Frankly, I agree 100% with what the father did. Old-style punishments don't mean squat these days, so you have to find something that REALLY affects the kids. Otherwise there's no point. The idea of a punishment is negative reinforcement ("Do this and you will suffer"), and I really can't think of much more forceful than seeing the one Christmas present you really wanted being sold off to benefit someone other than yourself.

It may seem harsh, but it's better to be harsh now than regretful later.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power