DS Recommendations

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Zangetsu

DS Recommendations

I just got a DS and a copy of Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. I was wondering if anyone knew any good games I could get state-side?
Last edited by Zangetsu on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

First, you threw me off for a sec with your thread's title. Don't scare me like that! :lol: Second, for now I recommend Zelda: Phantom of the Hourglass. I tried it at a local GameStop and while the graphics are cool, you can play the whole thing with your stylus (from someone who doesn't own a DS and has no idea how other games work). I also recommend Metroid Prime: Hunters.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Kurando

Your title also confused me...

Megaman zx and/or megaman zx advent are great side scrolling games for it. Then theres that awesome ninja gaiden game although im not sure if thats out or not yet. I think it's out though
WhiteWingDemon

Lets see...

Advance Wars: Dual Strike is probably the best game in my DS library. It is a turn based strategy war game. You only have to worry about gold and units but the later mission can be really tough.
Nightwing03

Games I would recommend are Mario Kart DS, Super Mario Bros for DS and the most awesome of all.....BOMBERMAN for DS. BTW you really should change the title to somelike like "DS game recomendations" or something on the line of that, because "New DS" sounds like they made a newer version of the DS.
♣♦♠♥
Zeonic Glory

I'd recommend Nintendogs if you really want to waste time. (I admit, I have no shame)
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Recon 5

FRONT MISSION!

Seriously, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, considering this is MECHAtalk we're in. However, if you've finished the original I'd suggest renting the new one instead of buying it. You may not find enough differences to justify a full purchase. I personally don't know. I only played the original.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

OBJECTION!!!

Definitly grab the Phoenix Wright game.

If you liked Phoenix Wright, you might wanna try Lifesigns: Surgical Unit.

Cooking Mama is pretty good too
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Ascension

I'll say that Advance Wars DS and Phantom Hourglass are definitely good recommendations. Front Mission is great, but if you're obsessive about upgrades and customization like I am you may find yourself spending much more time putting together the perfect Wanzer than actually fighting.

If you're interested in a sidescroller, it doesn't get any better than Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. AMAZINGLY excellent game.

Custom Robo Arena is fun, at least when you're fighting, but the non-combat portions can get rather dull (especially your need to sit through a scripted breakfast and supper and go to bed at the beginning and end of each day... :( ). I still recommend it.

One game I can't believe hasn't been mentioned already is the Final Fantasy III remake for the DS. If you bought the DS for Revenant Wings, you ought to get III too.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I recommend The Legend of Zelda: Phantom of the Hourglass, Final Fanatsy III, and Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Tafumi

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:OBJECTION!!!

I agree, I loved all 3 of those game namesakes.

Aren't they coming out with a third Phoneix Wright soon?
Scyron

Tafumi wrote:
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:OBJECTION!!!

I agree, I loved all 3 of those game namesakes.

Aren't they coming out with a third Phoneix Wright soon?

Yeah, trials and tribulations, if I remember correctly. I think the 4th one came out in japan not long ago, which means another is on it's way here probably next year.

I think a few good titles are pokemon, custom robo arena (if you liked the gc one, or an arcady version of armored core), bomberman ds, mario kart ds, and new super mario brothers.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

The third game came out not too long ago. There's a fourth game called Appolo Justice or something like that
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I know the thread-starter said state-side games, but I can't help but point out that if you like any kind of shounen action, then get Shounen Jump Super Stars and Shounen Jump Ultimate Stars. Those games are absolutely addictive. Like Shounen Jump's version of Super Smash Brothers.

And yeah, Phoenix Wright is crack. (as in extremely addictive :P ) Get it. :)
Dygenguard

I'd like to submit Tetris DS and New Super Mario Brothers to the list. NSMB had me hooked for a straight month trying to find all the secret stuff. And Tetris...come on, it's TETRIS. It's a classic. 8)
Ougi: Guren Maengun!!!
Zangetsu

Shinji103 wrote:I know the thread-starter said state-side games, but I can't help but point out that if you like any kind of shounen action, then get Shounen Jump Super Stars and Shounen Jump Ultimate Stars. Those games are absolutely addictive. Like Shounen Jump's version of Super Smash Brothers.

And yeah, Phoenix Wright is crack. (as in extremely addictive :P ) Get it. :)
Do I have to mod the DS to play those?

If not then I guess the recommendations don't have to be state side.
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Zangetsu wrote:Do I have to mod the DS to play those?

If not then I guess the recommendations don't have to be state side.
Nope, Nintendo DS is region-free. The general rule with playing inter-country games is that the hand-helds can play games from any country. (I don't know about PSP, since that's a data disc it might have special programming like DVDs) Iirc, all the Game Boy versions can play any game from any country, but I do know for a fact that a Nintendo DS from any country can play any game from any country. I have a US DS and my first game was Shounen Jump Super Stars. I love that game. :D
Scyron

psp is also region free, thankfully.
Aegis

Whoever said Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, good choice. 8) I'm also partial to Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, although the use of the touchpad is nowhere as intuitive as Portrait of Ruin (in fact, a bit annoying when you have to draw seals).

And nobody mentions Elite Beat Agents. It's often been said that if you own a DS, you MUST have Elite Beat Agents. :P

On the days where you want something... 'simpler', Brain Age 2 is good for blowing off some free time.
Recon 5

Saying Elite Beat Agents is a must- have is like saying that any Warioware is a must- have. Sure, plenty of people think that they're freakin' cool, but I suggest that Zangetsu just rent it first in case he is one of those who doesn't like such games.