Why certain series didn't get in SRW?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Recon 5 wrote:About Vandread being included- IIRC Earth is the Harvesters' stronghold (their main base) so making them the enemies would prevent the game from having any 'defend the Earth' missions- which are pretty much the bulk of most SRW games to date. Also, I can't imagine a majority (close to 80% actually) of the characters in SRW coming from a Planet of Men or a Planet of Women (or anywhere outside Earth) so where in the world would an SRW Vandread game start?
Simple answer: Time travel/alternate dimension. It's been done before, it can be done again. :P
About the impossibility of running in space- Bandai doesn't really care about that stuff. Their very own Tiger Dragon King is proof of that. Reality and commonsense kind of get thrown out the window with SRW. I mean, Dygenguard (Daizengar :D) can create cliffs out of nothing...
Quote for truth, lol.

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:If I remember right, the Bacues from SEED couldn't be used in space though so that would probably severly limit the stages and appearances of ZOIDS characters and such
Iirc you're right, but that seemed to be a bit of an exception. As pointed out already, Evas and AS's have zero space-capability, yet there they are. Plus, you've got space-only mechs like the Neue Ziel and the Orchis capable of operation in the atmosphere. They applied a bit more common sense to this in A.C.E. though, as you couldn't use the Orchis or the Neue Ziel in the atmosphere, and you couldn't use the Aestivalis' flight-frames in space. (iirc (not really sure about this), you couldn't use the Aestis' 0-G frame in the atmosphere either, even though they used it in atmo in the anime)
Kuruni

Not exactly.

Orchis can't be use on Earth in classic timeline, A and Alpha. It will deploy as Stamen unless Minnovky Craft is equipped. When you acquire Neue Ziel, there won't be any Earth stage in these games.

SRW A, Aestevalis can't deploy 0G and Moon Frame on Earth nor Flight Frame in space. You can deploy them in later games, but unless certain part (like A-Adaptor) or upgrade bonus applied to them, it won't be smart move.

For EVA, in SRW F and Alpha, the mechanic (Nina in F and Astonage in Alpha) modified them for space use (IIRC, they absent for a stage in either game due to overhaul). Same with AS in J, this time by Uribatake. Of cause, this pretty much mean everything can work in space in SRW :wink: .

Now there is another possibility, Terada may simply share same view with our Chris. :P
Q: Will you make a Zoids section?
A: This is probably the most frequently asked question now. No, we will not make a Zoids mecha or episode review section. We don't like the series and have no desire to make any section for it. As the final word: there will NEVER be any Zoids on this site. If you like it that's fine, and we're sure there are good sites out there devoted to the series
If that's the case, then he simply never found how Zoid will fit in any game. :twisted:
My girlfriend was a loli.
AmuroNT1

Also in A, they adapt the Ez8 for space simply by borrowing data from South Burning's GM Custom.
Recon 5 wrote:About the impossibility of running in space- Bandai doesn't really care about that stuff. Their very own Tiger Dragon King is proof of that. Reality and commonsense kind of get thrown out the window with SRW. I mean, Dygenguard (Daizengar :D) can create cliffs out of nothing...
I like to call that "Dramatic Manifestation": when you need it but don't have it, you just plain MAKE it appear. Zengar is probably one of the most famous users, but it happens all the time in both anime and SRW. My personal favorite example is probably how SRWW gave all five of the Wing Boys this ability - Heero and Wu Fei can even summon the entire damn planet Earth for their attacks. XD
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Recon 5

About the Zoids section on MAHQ- I think its ETA is the same as the Transformers section. Right, Chris? :D
Indicible

Regarding space-capability, Escaflowne was once in SRW (those for Wonderswan). It would be surprising it didn't go into space, even though Guymelefs are not even airtight.
So, there should be a work around any problem regarding space usage. The same could be said for Full Metal Panic units, by the way.
Mark064

To point it out again the Wonderswan game had no space battles at all.
Indicible

To point it out again the Wonderswan game had no space battles at all.
Ah? Never got round to playing the whole game. Thanks for the info. But what I said about Full Metal Panic units remains true (fights in Space in SRTJ and SRTW).
YazanGable

Kurando wrote:I really do wish Yuusha Commander Dagwon got into srw.. also gurren lagann will no doubt be in srw
In regards to Dagwon, as it stands, that, and the majority of the Yuusha series are currently stuck in the same hole as VOTOMS, Dougram, and Panzer World Galient.
Their marketing rights (including gaming) are held by the Takara company (who, in turn, released their own pseudo-SRW game series, Brave Saga)
Granted, GaoGaiGar and GaoGaiGar FINAL were a rare exception here, but in that case, Bandai was partially getting a cut, so they had some say on it. The rest of the Yuusha series are pretty far out of their hands.

and actually, as it currently stands, there is some doubt regarding Gurren Lagann. As viewers were so regularly reminded during the show, the marketing rights for it are currently in the hands of Konami.
This includes the gaming rights (as seen by the GL DS game released earlier this year.)
To this end, Konami's not exactly going to be keen to want to release those rights to Banpresto. In fact, the popularity of GL's probably going to have them doing whatever they can to keep a tight grip on those rights.
Gelmax

Whether or not a unit can canonically be used in space makes little difference, since it's typically pretty simple to modify something for space use (just slap some thrusters on it), and most SRW games that happen in space take care of that in-story the minute the flagship sets course for outer space. You don't even need an airtight cockpit, the pilot is simply assumed to be wearing a spacesuit.

In general, though, the question of "Why isn't X series in any SRW games" comes mostly from the fact that new series don't get much representation unless they're popular due to the fact that there's simply not much room for new series after they include the usual stuff - first they add the original mechs and the staples (Mazinger and a couple of the other Super Robot classics, plus a couple of Gundam series), then a couple of Tomino series, then a few more obscure classics, then two or three of the most popular relatively recent mecha shows. Take SRW J, for example - the only series newer than a decade old that were included were Brain Powered (a Tomino anime), Gundam SEED (a Gundam anime), Nadesico (very popular, about ten years old), and Full Metal Panic (apparently popular?). SRW W was the same, except that it had GaoGaiGar (definitely popular) instead of Brain Powered.
AU_Gundam MK II

However, I have to ask why Betterman got in their when stuff like Mars Daybreak or for the heck of it Tetsujin 28 didn't get in their.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Mark064

For the same reason as everything else, they felt like putting it in there.
ExhileVoid

Does the series popularity often play a role when debuting a new series in a SRW game 2-5 years after it has completed its full season run? I mean what are the chances these new series to debut in a SRW game 2-5 years in the future:

Gurren Lagann: Very Likely
Gundam 00: Very Likely whether you like it or not
Code Geass: Debatable
Macross Frontier: Probably
Gelmax

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:However, I have to ask why Betterman got in their when stuff like Mars Daybreak or for the heck of it Tetsujin 28 didn't get in their.
Betterman's known enough, if only for its connection to GaoGaiGar. On the other hand, Mars Daybreak's popularity is somewhere in the neighborhood of "what the heck is Mars Daybreak?". As for Tetsujin 28, it's a 45-year-old children's show and suffers from a number of problems as a result, such as extremely poor and inconsistent animation; more importantly, though, Giant Robo was essentially the same show but a lot more in keeping with the core concepts of what we know today as "mecha".
ExhileVoid wrote: Does the series popularity often play a role when debuting a new series in a SRW game 2-5 years after it has completed its full season run? I mean what are the chances these new series to debut in a SRW game 2-5 years in the future:

Gurren Lagann: Very Likely
Gundam 00: Very Likely whether you like it or not
Code Geass: Debatable
Macross Frontier: Probably
Popularity alone doesn't decide it, but it's a fair predictor. Gundam 00, as a Gundam series, is guaranteed to be in a SRW game sometime in the future, though not necessarily in two years since there's supposedly going to be another season in a year. Code Geass and Gurren Lagann were without a doubt the most popular real robot and super robot shows of 2007, and considering their fame, I would be more surprised if they weren't featured series in a SRW game in a few years (though Code Geass does have another season in the works). As for Macross Frontier, it's kind of difficult to predict anything about a show that doesn't air till next year and doesn't hit one of the "guaranteed inclusion" criteria.
Mark064

Mars Daybreak would be silly in a SRW game. It's a show of underwater mecha and to have them in the series would mean changing to not only space compatiable but ground capable. That changes just about everything about the series.
ExhileVoid

Its easy to put Gurren Lagann in a SRW game as long as you put in some kind of post apocalyptic world like setting like SRW Alpha Gaiden or ACE3's Word B. It go well with series like Gundam X, King Gainer, E7, etc...

There has been some skepticism whether or not Code Geass units can make the cut in a SRW game (mostly from GS fanboys/girls). The problem is the units are not particularly strong since they're only about 4.5 meters tall in height. They'll probably be rated SS size and everyone SRW fan knows that they'll do even less damage to S, M, L, and LL class enemies unless you equip the pilot with the "Ignore Size Penalties" ability. If Banpresto is generous, they be rated as S size mechs. Some people also commented saying it would look ridiculously stupid to see a Knightmare Frame roller skate in outer space (other than Gwain or Lancelot Flight Pack).

The only thing I have say to the CG staff is: GIVE US A POWERFUL UNIT IN SEASON 2 SO IT CAN AT LEAST RIVAL A SUPER ROBOT! That's how they got Full Metal Panic in SRW.
AU_Gundam MK II

And even then, the Panic units in SRW weren't close to rivaling a Super Robot.

Seriously, I get the feeling that show emphasis and certain "degrees" are one of the deciders. Take Patlabor. The emphasis was on police work, which pretty much was also the emphasis of Big O. However, the difference between the two is that Patlabor has a high degree of realism while Big O manages to take a Super Robot slot. Meaning that certain shows didn't end up in SRW due to high realism. The Lambda Drive gave Panic that chance.

As for Geass, my only bet would be on the 7th generation knightmares giving the show that chance.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Gelmax

ExhileVoid wrote: There has been some skepticism whether or not Code Geass units can make the cut in a SRW game (mostly from GS fanboys/girls). The problem is the units are not particularly strong since they're only about 4.5 meters tall in height. They'll probably be rated SS size and everyone SRW fan knows that they'll do even less damage to S, M, L, and LL class enemies unless you equip the pilot with the "Ignore Size Penalties" ability. If Banpresto is generous, they be rated as S size mechs. Some people also commented saying it would look ridiculously stupid to see a Knightmare Frame roller skate in outer space (other than Gwain or Lancelot Flight Pack).

The only thing I have say to the CG staff is: GIVE US A POWERFUL UNIT IN SEASON 2 SO IT CAN AT LEAST RIVAL A SUPER ROBOT! That's how they got Full Metal Panic in SRW.
Are you kidding? SS is reserved for human height only, and size doesn't really make that much of a difference anyway - it's certainly not the deciding factor in unit power, which is decided mostly by a specific unit's abilities plus whether it's a real-type or super-type. Besides, Code Geass isn't the first series to feature piloted mecha less than ten meters tall - in their humanoid forms, Macross's Valkyrie units (which were featured throughout the Alpha series) are only a couple meters taller than a Sutherland. Layzner, which performed just fine in SRW J, is only about 9.5 meters tall and is size S. Tekkaman Blade (normally a size SS) gets upgraded to size S when riding on his pet robot in SRW J.

Code Geass is a Real Robot show, not a Super Robot show. The reason that Real Robots rarely rival Super Robots is because they are Real Robots, not Super Robots. Moreover, its units are superb real-types, with about the same attack power as the FMP and Nadesico units, but better movement. I don't understand why anyone would think "being a Real Robot" would work AGAINST a mech's chances of being included in Super Robot Wars.
Kuruni

Especially when something puny as Garland from Megazone 23, SS size mecha armed with only limbs, beam gun and ground-only bikers attack, already got include. Hey, even wimpy Guymelef from Escaflowne can join!
My girlfriend was a loli.
Celestial Gundam

Moreso due to legal issues and copyrights. I read it once in a Nintendo Power I believe when they were reviewing the SRW series that did make it here...
ZGMF-X291A Celestial Gundam
ExhileVoid

Kuruni wrote:Especially when something puny as Garland from Megazone 23, SS size mecha armed with only limbs, beam gun and ground-only bikers attack, already got include. Hey, even wimpy Guymelef from Escaflowne can join!
I was just about to mention the Garland. When I played D, it was practically useless although the only redeeming quality it had was it can dodge pretty well when you max out its mobility. Except Megazone 23 and Escaflowne were featured only in one game and then forgotten about in future games. Just out of curiosity, do you people see Code Geass being featured only in one single future SRW game like Megazone 23, Escaflowne, Big O, ect. or more than one future SRW games with the series favorites like Macross, Dunbine, Gundam, Nadesico, etc.?