Sega Ages Virtual On

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
VR7

Sega Ages Virtual On

Has anyone here played Sega Ages Virtual On?

I'm not going to establish what Virtual On is, because most people should know what it is. Otherwise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_On

Sega Ages Virtual On in particular is a direct port of the original Virtual On from arcade to PS2. If you've played Virtual On for the PC, it's the exact same game, except it looks and sounds better, and runs at a full 60 fps like the actual arcade game. Also, they added some extra content:
  • - The game comes with a VR collection and an art gallery, like most contemporary arcade-to-console ports.
    - You can record and save replays like in Oratan.
    - All the colour schemes in the PC game are available.
    - You can play as Jagurandi or Z-Gradt, the bosses of Virtual On, like in the Saturn version of the game. Z-Gradt cannot be played in split-screen or in the regular arcade mode, and has a seperate Z-Gradt mode.
    - Ranking mode is probably a time attack mode of the game, with continues disabled.
    - Assault mode is a mode similar to Oratan's Infight mode. In this mode, you can't fire projectiles unless you're in the air or are using your CW, forcing you to use melee attacks. To make up for this, dash attacks are melee attacks.
    - Chibi-chara mode is what it sounds like.
    - There's an option to turn on extra special moves, similar to the specials in Oratan. If enabled, Apharmd can use Kick the Dynamic, Raiden can armor break, Fei-Yen can enter hyper mode manually, etc.. Just like in Oratan. Temjin, Dorkas and Viper II already have specials, so this doesn't affect them.
    - I don't know about the original arcade cabinet or the Saturn version of the game, but Sega Ages comes with Fierce difficulty, which actually is hard. They use the Very Hard AI (which isn't hard by itself) and give them infinite ammo. Watch out for Beldgor CW spams.
Lastly, the game comes with two VS. modes, one for split-screen and one for LAN play. Using that, we could probably set up internet games via XLink, probably with better performance than the PC game.
If you want to play against me or someone from virtualon.net though, I recommend clearing Fierce without continues first. Most of us are very, very good at the game, it's almost funny when we try to invite a new player into the game, only to scare them off.

I honestly wish they'd port Oratan though, since although the original is more memorable and still a great game, Oratan still has some of the best gameplay in the series overall.
-noel
Ascension

Sounds great. I used to play the arcade version quite a bit, then the arcade got rid of their machine! :shock: :cry:

I've been trying to find another cabinet ever since, but this sounds great. I might get a PS2 for it. Is it available in America, or is it import-only?
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
VR7

As far as I know, all Sega Ages games are Japanese only, so you'll have to import it.
-noel
Ascension

Oh, darn... I generally don't import things. I'd almost be willing to make an exception for this... but it'd be even better just to find an arcade cabinet.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Virtual On is usually very import friendly anyways.

Wow, I completely this game came out though
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Kuruni

This is great new! So it released? Time for another shelf hunt!
My girlfriend was a loli.
Zero Revenge

Sweet Deal! I still play the Saturn version. Time to grab a decent PS2 VO (well it's a remake/port... whatever) since MARZ totally failed.

Edit: Viper II > All.
VR7

I tend to play with nearly the entire cast. In order from most to least, Temjin, Apharmd, Raiden, Beldgor, Viper II and Fei-Yen. I'm pretty bad with Bal-Bas-Bow and Dorkas but I still use them occasionally. In Oratan, I play mostly with Apharmd B, Temjin, Raiden, Fei-Yen Kn and Bal Bados, in that order of priority--but I also use the others every now and then too.

There's actually no best Virtuaroid in the game, that's one of the things I liked most about Virtual On over most other fighting games. The best player is the one who is able to use all the Virtuaroids effectively, regardless of personal preference.

Except for the boss ones, which tend to be banned in tourneys.
-noel
Tafumi

Man, I haven't heard about VO in quite some time. Last one I recall playing was Oratorio Tangram on the Dreamcast.

I'll have to look up this new one.
codename:v

Hopefully SegaAges would cover other titles like Oratorio Tangram and 4Force. Maybe they can whip up story titles like One Man Rescue and Fragmentary passage.
VR7

I'd love to see Oratan on the PS2. I don't know about Force, but it's probably doable since they did port IDAS to the PS2 and PSP.

There's no chance that Sega Ages would do OMR or FP. From what I can tell, Sega Ages is about reviving classic games and selling them at a budget price for the PS2. If Sega were to do either OMR or FP, it would be a completely new, full-priced game, probably developed by Hitmaker again.

In wihch case, I'd rather see Hitmaker do a game based on OMR. Probably playing as Dash Pronger or a nameless SHBVD pilot.
-noel
Kurando

I was hoping they would port FORCE.. MARZ was just a not so fast version of FORCE.
VF5SS

I thought FORCE and Marz played at the same speed. The reason for the speed drop was supposedly for play balance with four VRs on the screen at once. The play videos of FORCE I've seen make it seem like it has the same pace as Marz. Certainly nowhere near OT.
Kuruni

But many VR has their ability removed in MARZ. Like Temjin 747's armor ejection or Guarayaka(sp?)'s Juagarandi transformation.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dygenguard

Wow, this thread has singlehandedly made me reminiscient about one of the few games that even got me into mecha.

I love and miss Virtual On. I think I used Viper and Raiden, mostly, and I remember pwning one of my friends for eight matches in a row. My only complaint is that I'll miss the original controls. A PS2 controller just couldn't feel the same. :(
Ougi: Guren Maengun!!!