Vast Memory Card (New question regarding Swap Magic)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
J-Lead

Vast Memory Card (New question regarding Swap Magic)

Simple Question: Will this allow me to play import games on my American PS2? Someone mentioned that it could before, but further research on the thing only mentions home-brewed games, something that I could care less for....

If not, what method do you recommend for playing import PS2 games?
Last edited by J-Lead on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Mark064

You can have import PS2 game saves and english PS2 game saves on the same memory card.
CHASER

What games it will play are set into the PS2's programming, so I don't think that a saved game will change that. A Swap Magic disk, the 3.0 version or later, should be enough to allow the console to play outside games, but it only works for the older type of PS2 - the non-slimline ones. Otherwise you're probably looking at a mod chip, a few hundred dollars that also void any warranty. It would probably be cheaper to buy an older PS2 (assuming you have a slimline one) and a Swap Magic disk, which cost about.. $20-$30 I suppose, saw a few for $20 online before.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
J-Lead

Mark064 wrote:You can have import PS2 game saves and english PS2 game saves on the same memory card.
Oy, that brings up another issue - how does saving work with import games? :shock:
Scyron

Re: Vast Memory Card - Does it allow you to play import game

J-Lead wrote:Simple Question: Will this allow me to play import games on my American PS2? Someone mentioned that it could before, but further research on the thing only mentions home-brewed games, something that I could care less for....

If not, what method do you recommend for playing import PS2 games?
that was probably me, I haven't purchased one yet but I was going on the information I found.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/vide ... p-working/

Maybe wait a bit longer? I um personally didn't read anything about homebrew but I guess if that is the case then it comes at a big disappointment :(
Mark064

J-Lead wrote:Oy, that brings up another issue - how does saving work with import games? :shock:
Um the magic pixie comes out of your PS2 and lands on your memory card after a little dance your game is saved. In other words exactly the same as an American game, you click save it writes to your memory card.
bluemax151

Just buy a Japanese PS2 it makes everything easier and they aren't as expensive as they used to be.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Apache

I use the swap magic they work on the slim ps2s as well theres a different tool you use instead of the slide card, it blocks the laser so you can pop the top with out the ps2 knowing. And the memory cards don't have a region code so they work fine with imported games the only problem you might have is when you want to copy the data to a new card you might not know which save is which.

In short the swap magic is the cheapest, although a mod chip is less hassle after a wile, cuz you can just pop the game in and play.
J-Lead

New Question; I'll be totally honest here, I have no idea exactly how the Swap Magic works, much less why numerous updated versions of the disks are available, so forgive me if I'm sounding noobish;

Will having an older version of swap magic still allow me to play a brand new import game, such as, say, SD Gundam G Generation Spirits? (The game I plan to buy,) Or do I need an updated version to play it? I'm assuming it will enable the former, but I don't want to wind up shooting my old PS2 with a vintage Lee Enfield out of frustration, so I'm asking just in case. (If someone can actually point out a link/links to exactly what I'd need to buy to play it, I'd be eternally grateful. :D )
Apache

for a guide you might be able to find one on youtube.

And buy this one:
http://www.ps2cover.com/slidecardsm3.shtml

If you still need held feel free to pm or im me.
J-Lead

Ah, thank ye muchly! I just finished ordering both items. :D
Kurando

Here are just a few tips for anybody, J-Lead said he has already ordered his swap magic but these tips can be still somewhat helpful. I don't think I need to explain all methods since some have been covered.. and then there is google

If you force the slide card, it can block your disc tray and break your ps2. Just go by the guides and you should be fine

MAKE SURE YOU GET SWAP MAGIC FOR YOUR REGION PS2! otherwise it won't work!!!

Swap magic will not damage your ps2 UNLESS you play backup games (games burnt onto cdr, Even if you play cdr games, It may take 1-2 years or even 1-4 months for it to break your ps2)

only diffrence between the 3.6 and 3.8 versions are that 3.8 comes with action replay max built in.

Incase anybody needs help with their slim and swap magic, which is a bit more complicated, I'd be glad to help.
:D