Hmm, no Bioshock thread?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
lalahsghost

Hmm, no Bioshock thread?

Wowee!

I've had bioshock for about a week now, and eventhough there are constant crashes with my updated or non updated drivers, I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

I really love the game, and it's environment, and the character designs.

I can't say anything really bad about it, even if I am a Half Life lover by nature.

Since no one else has posted about bioshock, lets get the ball rolling? Comments anyone?

Oh, I also have to sport my personal agenda:
(I know this is overkill, but still, it only takes five minutes per form)

I'm contacting the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau about 2k games' use of the securom 5-install bullshit.

My college's help-desk slicked my hdd without telling me and took away one of my install chances. after I install it again.... that leaves three more installs,
wtf if I have a hdd crash, need the HD space, etc?

Join with me and contact them both.
Here is the info so it will take no time at all to complain:

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.star ... _CODE=PU01 <--- to file a complaint with the FTC

http://complaint.bbb.org/ <--- to file a complaint with the BBB

here is 2k Games's basic info that you will need

Product: Bioshock PC edition.
Address:
622 Broadway
New York, New York

Tel: 646 723 4200

email: [email protected]

And this is what I put as my complaint, and you can use it in your own form to make filing this complaint easy for you:

"2k Games' software title Bioshock (PC) has a special program added to it by SecuROM that only allows you to install the program five times. After that you have to purchase the game all over again. This is simply ridiculous. I involuntarily had my hard drive erased by a tech/help center at my college, since my motherboard was faulty, and the Bioshock (PC) program was the likely culprit or one of many. This took one of my chances of installing the software away. This means after I install it again, I will only have three chances. What if my hard-drive fails, or I run out of space and need to delete it or some other computer malfunction causes me to need to uninstall it. I really think that limiting the install times is bordering unfair practice from a company. It would be like buying a $50 dvd-movie and only allowed to watch it five times, when you legally own it. It's insane!"

If we get enough people to do it, maybe we can get something done about it....
Dark Jackal

Great game. Feels like a nice successor to System Shock 2 with some very similar game elements.
ZeBaron

That's why you get it for the 360. You can just change out your hard drive/memory card when you want to play somewhere else.
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
Mwulf

An FPS on a console? Are you mad, sir?

I have it for my PC, and if I ever need to install it a sixth time... well, I'm sure by then there'll be a way around SecureRom or whatever. And if not, well, there's always torrents.

So far as the game is concerned... meh. It's a decent FPS, but nothing particularly exciting for me. Granted, I'm not an FPS person, but still. I much preferred System Shock 2, even if it did have the warping corners. o__O

Oh, and if you haven't seen this, you don't deserve to play ANY game. Ever.

And that's pretty much all I have to say. The only FPS I've really loved was Half Life, simply because of how awesome it is. The Medal of Honor games were pretty cool, too, --nothing beats Normandy.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
ZeBaron

Mwulf wrote:An FPS on a console? Are you mad, sir?
Keyboard adapter for the win?
I hadn't seen it until now, and his way of speaking cracks me up. BUT, seeing as I never played System Shock 2, I have little background as to his context, SOOOOO... I'm still getting BioShock. Once I have a 360. In a couple of months. Along with Halo 3.

"And in the bad ending, your some kind of hybrid between Hitler and Skeletor whose very piss is pure liquid malevolence." Best line in there.
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
G.Squirrel

Ah, but then your not playing a console anymore, it's just a regular computer then.

From what I played of Bioshock, it seems to be an excellent game. The parallels between SS2 (of which I am a proud owner) and Bioshock are numerous, and I feel that it really just adds to the experience. Honestly, there really isn't much you can deviate from in the original formula that SS2 layed down. We need more SS2-esque games now-a-days.
Vash

Mwulf wrote:An FPS on a console? Are you mad, sir?
Bioshock is more rpg than fps. And besides, have you heard of a little game called "Halo"?
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.
Recon 5

Ah... a PC supremacist just like me!

About FPS'es and consoles- I think that all that matters is getting used to playing with a different set of controls. There are people out there who love both UT 2007 (or BF 2150) and Halo 3, so the platform doesn't really matter, does it?

Still, some food for thought... So you're playing a console game with a USB keyboard and mouse. You'll have to elevate the whole setup somehow so that they're about 30- 50 cm below your eye level and in the end you'll have assumed a PC gaming position. In such a case, why not get a PC instead (aside form the fact that the games are different)?
lalahsghost

Recon 5 wrote:Still, some food for thought... So you're playing a console game with a USB keyboard and mouse. You'll have to elevate the whole setup somehow so that they're about 30- 50 cm below your eye level and in the end you'll have assumed a PC gaming position. In such a case, why not get a PC instead (aside form the fact that the games are different)?
Less compatibility issues with a console? That is the most tempting reason for me to get a xb360 for bioshock and lost planet (droooooool) and a few other select games :3

So much easier just to pop it in and play instead of having to worry OMFG IS THIS GUNNA RUN ON MY PC?!?!?!?!?! (remember when people went apeshit about this when hl2 first came out?) (and how cryssis is going to rock lots of PC's to the extreme)
G.Squirrel

So much easier just to pop it in and play instead of having to worry OMFG IS THIS GUNNA RUN ON MY PC?!?!?!?!?!
That's why they print the minimum and recommended requirements on PC games, so you know if it's going to run on your PC or not.
(remember when people went apeshit about this when hl2 first came out?) (and how cryssis is going to rock lots of PC's to the extreme)
Well, no, conscidering that Valve went out of their way to say that Half-Life 2 was going to be completely scalable to reach a great performance on older machines when they first announced HL2. Hell, it even runs on my shitbox of a PC with minimal slowdown.

Crysis is a non-factor in an arguement, because some of it's features can't even be accessed on current consumer technology yet. However, it's going to look amazing.

Back on topic, I really like the art-deco style that the team chose with this game. The character designs were awesome, although I do wish that they could have changed the enemy models to more heavily armored ones as the game went on. When I was fighting guys that looked like they were from the beginning of the game in the later stages, it just felt kind of wierd.
Vash

G.Squirrel wrote:
So much easier just to pop it in and play instead of having to worry OMFG IS THIS GUNNA RUN ON MY PC?!?!?!?!?!
That's why they print the minimum and recommended requirements on PC games, so you know if it's going to run on your PC or not.
(remember when people went apeshit about this when hl2 first came out?) (and how cryssis is going to rock lots of PC's to the extreme)
Well, no, conscidering that Valve went out of their way to say that Half-Life 2 was going to be completely scalable to reach a great performance on older machines when they first announced HL2. Hell, it even runs on my shitbox of a PC with minimal slowdown.
Replace HL2 with Doom 3 and his point is made better. I agree totally, being able to just pop in the disc and already know it will run just as well as it will on anyone else's system is a huge motivator for me, especially in the early years of a console's life cycle, where games on consoles look just as good or even better than on pc. Its another thing if its near the end of a console cycle and I know its going to look alot better on pc, but for right now I'm gravitating way towards console versions.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.