And so its here... (Halo 3 discussion thread)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Recon 5

And so its here... (Halo 3 discussion thread)

Note: I know there's another H3 related thread, but that one discusses the ad, at least thats what I get from the title. This one's for the actual game.

So, after a LOOONG wait we finally get the conclusion of the Halo series. As I always do with every high- profile release, I've looked up some web info about this game.

Overall, the reception is predictably positive (an American game, and more than that, a Microsoft game getting 37/40 from Famitsu is good indeed) but some people say that it doesn't justify all the hype.

Now, I know that I'm probably the least qualified of anyone here to start this thread (I don't even have a 360) but I figured I'd might as well start the ball rolling. Post your opinions on Halo 3 here :D !
Nagato21

Finally got it and the wait/price was worth it. :lol:
The story took a good conclusion; better than I even hope.
The gameplay is still the same as in the previous title added with a few twists it makes it even more enjoyable.
I haven't try the online mode yet but based from what I heard its really good; except they might be too many people on the servers.
Conclusion Halo 3 is a must.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Phantomexe87

While I certainly do enjoy the Halo series, the people it attracts are... just scary. Halo 3 from what i've seen, played, heard, is the weakest of the three, at least, in single player mode, which is all that matters to me.

I miss the days when gaming wasn't mainstream, now I have to actually wait in lines to get video games. The game also seems a lot easier than any past Halo, though, that's why we have "difficulties". I thought the ending, left a lot to be desired, though I have yet to see the "true" ending. I was hoping we'd get closure on the other SPARTANs.
Dean_the_Young

I heard that the ending was inconclusive in regards to Master Chief, and a friend told me that the Legendary ending could even potentially see Master Chief in a sequel series much later. (My friend actually said that it could fit into a new series of RvB, but he's a nut like that. Don't know if it's true.)
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
swordoath

The true ending reveals that Master Chief is actually Sylvester Stallone.

Seriously. Look up John Spartan on Wikipedia.

:wink: I don't actually care about Halo one way or the other, but ever since my friend told me that Chief's real name is John, I've been running with the Demolition Man gag.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
Nagato21

Who knows maybe a sequel is in progress; my guess is we still haven't heard the last of Master Chief adventures. 8)
Maybe will see him in the upcoming Marathon four. :lol:
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Phantomexe87

swordoath wrote:The true ending reveals that Master Chief is actually Sylvester Stallone.

:wink: I don't actually care about Halo one way or the other, but ever since my friend told me that Chief's real name is John, I've been running with the Demolition Man gag.
Well actually, that's his codename, John-177's true name is officially unknown. If it's anything like the other SPARTANS, it's probably a derivation of his full name, or just made up.
Jak Stoller

Its actually Master Chief John-117, not 177 :P My question is, what rate is Master Chief? Is he a GMCM, a MACM? Did he just suddenly show up as a CM? Or was he a CS and a C before that? Honestly I'd like to know.

--Jak
Blade of the Red Comet

Dean_the_Young wrote:I heard that the ending was inconclusive in regards to Master Chief, and a friend told me that the Legendary ending could even potentially see Master Chief in a sequel series much later. (My friend actually said that it could fit into a new series of RvB, but he's a nut like that. Don't know if it's true.)
Just beat the single player and the ending is different if you beat the game on Legendary than on any other difficulty. I wont ruin anything for anybody so you'll have to get there on your own.
Phantomexe87 wrote:While I certainly do enjoy the Halo series, the people it attracts are... just scary. Halo 3 from what i've seen, played, heard, is the weakest of the three, at least, in single player mode, which is all that matters to me.
I agree with you that the people can kinda suck...actually alot of them are just plain douche-bags, I admit, but once you find yourself a nice crew to play with its really fun. Comparing the Solo mode to the others I'd say this is the BEST of the three. Its waaaaay better than Halo 2 and harkens back to the gameplay of Halo 1 in alot of ways. If you plan on buying this game solely on the single player you're making a HUGE mistake...the Halo series almost single handedly redefined online platform gaming. The multiplayer is where the real fun is at!!
Recon 5

Um... there are a lot of gamers out there who just want a good gaming experience without having to pay for Live...
Deus EpS Machina

Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
rebel_cheese

I've managed to make it to the desert, and it's been extremely fun so far. Graphics are pretty, the marines are as snarky as ever (with people like Katee Sackhoff voicing them, it's not too surprising).

General tips:

1. The amount of ammo you can carry for the majority of the weapons has decreased. Same for the amount of bullets in a clip (especially the old Halo assault rifle, it's been essentially fried). You're going to need to experiment a LOT more with weapons and combinations or you're going to run out of ammo. A lot of the weapons that were dual-wieldable in the second game are no longer that way either. You can only carry six grenades (specifically two of each kind, including the new "spike" grenade).

2. Your AI marines are EXTREMELY stupid when driving. When in doubt, you do the driving. Otherwise, you're asking for a plasma grenade on the hood or a cannon shot blowing you to kingdom come. The marines are at least fairly decent shots.

3. The Needler has been powered up big time. In fact, the easiest non-level-completion Achievement to get is "Fear The Pink Mist", which means you kill five enemies in a needle explosion. However, you cannot dual-wield it this time.

4. Don't worry if the Arbiter is incapitated. He will get back up after about ten seconds on the ground.

5. There are new Flood enemies. One is so big the only way to quickly kill it is to plasma nade-it. Out of nades, the only thing you can do is to spray it until it goes down. The other is a quick mover with the little guys leaping off at you. Not to mention the quick mover will try to bite you off at the legs. Wipe it out with a bullet-sprayer.

6. The shields are not as effective in this game as they were in Halo 2. If you do NOT do everything ABSOLUTELY right your shields will dissipate really quickly.

7. The Battle Rifle is an effective Brute-killer if you turn on the scope. Aim for the higher chest or the head. Three bursts should be enough on the normal difficulty.

8. When you face the Scarab, first blast the enemies onboard with the Battle Rifle from the debris mountain in the middle of the beach. Watch out for the beams, the moment it glows green run. Once most of them are done for run back to the Marines' position take the stationery missile pods (do not detach them or you're screwed, sixteen shots combined are NOT enough) and just keep firing until it lists to the ground. If it looks towards you, though, run and get away. Try to time it so it crashes near a high rock, the debris mountain, or the Marine hideout. When it collapses, rush forward and find the nearest elevated spot near the Scarab. You have maybe two minutes to get on before it gets back up. Your allies do a decent job of keeping the surviving enemies suppressed, so some of them will already be dead when you get there. Get on the elevated spot and hop on. Kill any remaining enemies with nades and whatever you have. Then run for the core (you'll know when you see it) and throw a nade at it. Then jump off and run like the wind. It'll blow up, and if you're far enough away, you'll live to continue the battle.
MURRUE: Infallible accuracy?? I thought you just usually shot all your weapons at random and they just happened to hit stuff.

KIRA: What do you think this is; a cartoon?
RedShirt0909

Jak Stoller wrote:Its actually Master Chief John-117, not 177 :P My question is, what rate is Master Chief? Is he a GMCM, a MACM? Did he just suddenly show up as a CM? Or was he a CS and a C before that? Honestly I'd like to know.

--Jak
According to The Fall of Reach, he was given the rank of PO/3 for his first mission and promoted to PO/2 after that. Then the book fast forwards to when he is a CM. As for his rate... his job from the day he was conscripted was going to be a spec ops operator, so I don't think that the traditional rates apply.
Yea, though I sail through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am conning ten thousand tons of 'screw you'
Zangetsu

Phantomexe87 wrote:
swordoath wrote:The true ending reveals that Master Chief is actually Sylvester Stallone.

Well actually, that's his codename, John-177's true name is officially unknown. If it's anything like the other SPARTANS, it's probably a derivation of his full name, or just made up.
I thought in one of the books they say his name was John?
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
solid snake

Zangetsu wrote: I thought in one of the books they say his name was John?
They mention in all three books that his name is John.

Well, I finished the fight and it was awesome. The story wrapped up nicely and most of the questions were answered. I'm glad that they sort of left the end open for more games in the future.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Blade of the Red Comet

solid snake wrote:Well, I finished the fight and it was awesome. The story wrapped up nicely and most of the questions were answered. I'm glad that they sort of left the end open for more games in the future.
I'm fairly satisfied with the ending and was glad we got to play the whole game as Master Chief but I feel that Bungie kinda abandoned the whole Arbiter/Elite rebellion story line. I know that Halo 3 is supposed to be "John-117's Story" and all but to just drop a whole section of the story kinda sucks....oh well, maybe we'll get a game centered on the exploits of the Arbiter.
Phantomexe87

I would have liked it, if we got to play as a Brute, personally. That would be a good parallel compared to H2 where we first get to play as Elites.
Draco Starcloud

I think they touched upon the Elite Rebellion as much as they needed to: Bungie showed that the Elites and humans were still allied and that the Elites were gunning for the Brutes.

Also, anyone else have the Spaceballs theme song running through your head at the end of the last level?
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Phantomexe87

Well without the Covenant, the Elites have no reason to fight the Humans, as they have their hands full with finishing off the Covenant remnants, and whatever Brutes want to continue the racial war after the fall of the Covenant. And the Humans don't have the resources or morale to fight the Elite again. So, likely both sides will remain allies, or indifferent to one another for the forseeable future.
OpMegs

I think the Elite Rebellion was handled rather logically.

After all, the Arbiter, despite his ceremonial rank, is NOT the leader of the Elites at the end of Halo 2. The councillors are the closest to that. Thus, we can assume the Covenant Civil War is continuing off screen. Meanwhile, the Arbiter is dealing with something just as important: hunting down the Covenant's remaining leadership(Truth) and stopping, oh, the extinction of sentient life in the galaxy(which everyone assumes is on Earth). His presence there isn't surprising.

Also, for those of you that've finished the game:

Did anyone find Johnson's final words interesting? "Don't...don't let her go. Don't ever let her go." I know there are people that're die-hard to avoid any sort of romance in the Halo series, but between that and a couple other parts ("...I'll miss you." "Wake me....if you need me."), it seemed like Bungie was possibly endorsing it, albeit subtly.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)