Star Ocean 4

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
VR7

Star Ocean 4

A long while back, Star Ocean 4 was announced. Some new stuff regarding that has surfaced recently:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/817/817908p1.html
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=8312
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/socean/so4 ... 507-1.html

I like how the IGN article states that this time, you actually will be adventuring around in a spaceship, as opposed to spending 50-60% of the game stranded on a 16-17th century era planet. Wonder how large the explorable universe will be though.
-noel
Phantomexe87

Huh, I figured SO3 was the last one, what with that huge matrix-like plot twist, and what not. Sounds good though, be nice to actually be able to have a ship.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I find it funny that info was released about it a while ago at the SE party, and people simply didn't notice it lol. :)

Please god let it be on PS2 and not PS3. At least wait for me to get the cash to buy a PS3. >.>
VentZX

I'm hoping for it to be on PS3 :twisted: .

You see, I already have one, so :P. Anyway, I played SO3, but the plot left me REALLY disappointed. The battle system was fine, but the lame ass plot twist, NO actual space exploration, and stale acting made we wonder why I spent 120+ hours on the game. Maybe I'm just a slow gamer. Who knows. But I really hope they leave in eh Japanese voice acting for SO4. On Blu ray it wouldn't be an issue. I also hope they get rid of all the awkward pauses during character interactions. But please, PLEASE, no lame plot twist. I kept expecting through the game that Fayt and Maria were long lost twins or something. That would have been a better plot twist. But no....

Sorry for the rant. Regardless of how that may sound, I really want to play this game. Can't wait till 9/20.
quasadra

just a couple of month to go before i have the $$$ to get a ps3, i have a feeling that the star travelling would look like what we did in Highwind. but i hope they will surprise me. and yes SO3's story is wierd(i cant come up with a better word).
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
bluemax151

I loved SO2 but I didn't really care for SO3. I look forward to seeing how 4 shapes up. Maybe Squeenix will do something right for a change.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Nagato21

I played SO3 last year by renting the game,( I was so into it) then I found out it was a two part cd and Blockbuster didn't have the second. After I finally spend 50 box, I regretted my choice. :cry:
The story was becoming so lame that I gave up and sold it.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Reviving this old thread to post new info from an article in the latest Shounen Gangan magazine:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/200/034tk0.jpg
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7170/035cf5.jpg

I haven't had the time to go through the whole thing yet and the scans aren't the best quality, making them hard to fully translate:

The main male lead is named Edge Marverick at age 20, earthling, and the main female lead is Reimi Saionji age 19, earthling. (exact English spelling of the names is tentative, as we all know how tricky things can get with Engrish)

I really like the character designs for the two leads. I can't find anything saying which system it'll be on, though. (it might just be because of the not-best scan quality)
quasadra

the leads certainly are beautiful, but i will have to see a 3D model before i make my judgement. they can be quiet off when transfer from 2D to 3D. it dont matter what platform it will be on since i have a PS3 and going to get a 360 soon(it cant be on the Wii) :lol: .
VR7

i liked so3, fayt + maria all-manual full-auto party ftw

Some of the early images already depict a 3D rendered Edge Maverick, see the top post. I don't know about Reimi though.

The leads still look very reminiscent of Fayt Leingod and Maria Traydor from SO3, except that Reimi substitutes a bow for the gun. On the other hand though, I like the new designs. They don't look like carbon copies of said characters, (like Edge did in earlier promos) and they look vastly better than the artwork in SO3.

One thing I hope they do in SO4 is provide the option to choose your main character again, like in SO2 where you had a choice between Claude and Rena, with differences in PA's and quests. It actually added a bit of replay value to SO2, which most of the other games don't have. If SO4 is also emphasizing more on the sci-fi elements of the game, I wonder if they're going to derive ideas from actual freeform sci-fi games, such as Elite or Wing Commander: Privateer. Or Freelancer. Or in terms of more recent examples, Space Force: Rogue Universe.

Well, it would be pretty nice to be able to do things other than traditional jRPG stuff on medieval worlds, like cargo hauling (and subsequent fleeing from space pirates) or maybe (gasp) actual space combat.
-noel
quasadra

i know about the top post, but it just too little to really tell. and those appears to be CG cutscene. if thats the actual gameplay, i will be one very happy gamer. if they do it like the civil war on space combat, then i rather not have them. you know everybody just line up their gun and hope they have more HP than the others.